SCP18 Game 4 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: SCP18 Game 4 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby largegarlic on Fri May 04, 2018 1:52 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
Steve wrote:One other thought, and I hate to say this, but watching the other series - the two worst remaining playoff teams right now are playing in this series. The Caps are putting in more effort/blocked shots etc than in previous seasons, and they have a great core of course - but the rest of their team is mostly garbage, and the Wilson suspension is a killer. They had a guy with a career high of 17 points playing on their top line last night. They have a handful of guys who should be playing in the AHL right now, and they are basically riding three defensmen, on a team that typically plays in long series - not a recipe for success.

On the bright side, I think the Caps have played as well as they are going to play - the Pens have so much more upside. Things can change in a hurry, if Murray regains his play and one of our other two scoring lines can chip in (and I think they will via Geno), then the Pens can get their swagger back so to speak. Last night was a real gutsy win that can swing things into a more positive manner. Really looking forward to game 5.

I agree. This season is not like the past ones where the winner of this series looks to be the favorite to win the cup. Once the Pens or Caps advance it is going to be an uphill climb to even make the finals let alone win the cup.

The other thing that makes it tougher this year is that there haven't been any real upsets. There's usually at least a couple lower seeds that make the 2nd round or even the conference finals, but I read somewhere that this was the first year in a long time (ever?) that all 8 teams in the 2nd round had 100+ points. I don't foresee any short series for anyone from here on out.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Fri May 04, 2018 2:47 pm

largegarlic wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:
Steve wrote:One other thought, and I hate to say this, but watching the other series - the two worst remaining playoff teams right now are playing in this series. The Caps are putting in more effort/blocked shots etc than in previous seasons, and they have a great core of course - but the rest of their team is mostly garbage, and the Wilson suspension is a killer. They had a guy with a career high of 17 points playing on their top line last night. They have a handful of guys who should be playing in the AHL right now, and they are basically riding three defensmen, on a team that typically plays in long series - not a recipe for success.

On the bright side, I think the Caps have played as well as they are going to play - the Pens have so much more upside. Things can change in a hurry, if Murray regains his play and one of our other two scoring lines can chip in (and I think they will via Geno), then the Pens can get their swagger back so to speak. Last night was a real gutsy win that can swing things into a more positive manner. Really looking forward to game 5.

I agree. This season is not like the past ones where the winner of this series looks to be the favorite to win the cup. Once the Pens or Caps advance it is going to be an uphill climb to even make the finals let alone win the cup.

The other thing that makes it tougher this year is that there haven't been any real upsets. There's usually at least a couple lower seeds that make the 2nd round or even the conference finals, but I read somewhere that this was the first year in a long time (ever?) that all 8 teams in the 2nd round had 100+ points. I don't foresee any short series for anyone from here on out.

I don't think there's anything below a 3-seed, is there? And the Sharks are the only team below a 2-seed.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DistinctKickingMtn on Fri May 04, 2018 3:32 pm

Job one for game five:

STAY. OUT. OF. THE. BOX.
DistinctKickingMtn
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Fri May 04, 2018 3:49 pm

DistinctKickingMtn wrote:Job one for game five:

STAY. OUT. OF. THE. BOX.

Job 2 has to be make the easy clears from the zone. This is going to kill us.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pressure=9Pa on Fri May 04, 2018 4:04 pm

largegarlic wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:

Yeah, that's one of the things I kept coming back to when comparing the 16 cup team to the 17 cup team. In 2016 going through Tampa and San Jose was a lot tougher than in 2017 going through Ottawa and Nashville. Even then, the 17 team faced two game seven scenarios, and were perhaps a quick whistle away from a third. This year looks a lot tougher than 2016, despite playing an arguably worse Washington.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pressure=9Pa on Fri May 04, 2018 4:04 pm

largegarlic wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:

Yeah, that's one of the things I kept coming back to when comparing the 16 cup team to the 17 cup team. In 2016 going through Tampa and San Jose was a lot tougher than in 2017 going through Ottawa and Nashville. Even then, the 17 team faced two game seven scenarios, and were perhaps a quick whistle away from a third. This year looks a lot tougher than 2016, despite playing an arguably worse Washington.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BurghThing on Fri May 04, 2018 4:55 pm

DelPen wrote:

STAY. OUT. OF. THE. BOX.

Where have I heard that before? :face:
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby stonewizard51 on Fri May 04, 2018 5:07 pm

DelPen wrote:

STAY. OUT. OF. THE. BOX.

Letang is teaching everyone how to do that. He's the master right ?
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SubtropicalPenguin on Fri May 04, 2018 5:29 pm

pressure=9Pa wrote:
largegarlic wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:

I don't think Vegas or San Jose are better than either Washington or Pittsburgh. Both Tampa and Boston look pretty solid though, and I've been saying for a while that Tampa is the only team that I think could beat the Pens even if the Pens bring their "A game."
SubtropicalPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sat May 05, 2018 5:19 pm

I have got bubble-guts !

Let's go pens!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: Listen to the wind, it talks. Listen to the silence, it speaks. Listen to your heart, it knows.

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins