Official GDT: ROUND 2, GAME 5 - 5/5/18 Pens @ Caps

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT: ROUND 2, GAME 5 - 5/5/18 Pens @ Caps

Postby alancac98 on Sat May 05, 2018 10:21 pm

Malkin seemed quite uninspired tonight for the most part, but what in God's name was Letang sliding over to the left for on the Caps first goal of the period. I don't know which is worse right now - Murry glove hand or his 5 hole, but he just doesn't have it right now and I'm not sure he's going to get it back. If we send this to a game 7, he's going to have to play out of his mind to win it.
alancac98
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Sat May 05, 2018 10:22 pm

ThronedFlame wrote:This is exactly how i felt after game 6 vs TB two years ago. I’m still holding out hope, but I generally agree with all the doom and gloom exuding from everyone

I’m not aellingnis short yet. Holtby has been more lucky than good. This caps team is not that great. But the unforced errors are killing us. Stop being stupid and we move on.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby itissteeltime on Sat May 05, 2018 10:23 pm

I thought we badly outplayed them. Caps converted on their scoring chances and we didn't.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Sat May 05, 2018 10:23 pm

Sheary played well, that's a plus.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pruezy11881 on Sat May 05, 2018 10:26 pm

Another silver lining is that the pens have won the last 3 series in which they've lost game 5 and going down 3-2 in the series.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Sat May 05, 2018 10:27 pm

Humperdink wrote:Sheary played well, that's a plus.

He should be with Sid and Jake. They have a good history together. Enough of this Simon getting first line minutes. It doesn’t make sense.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby brwi on Sat May 05, 2018 10:29 pm

A lot of the game resembled Game 4 for the Pens, except some big blunders that ended up in the net right away. When Vrana replaced Smith-Pelly on the Ovie line late in the 2nd and all the rest of the way, Caps found some life all of a sudden and then smelled blood early in the 3rd with your Letang Play(non-play) of the Night.

Murray just hasn't been good enough in the 3 losses and not all the goals were of the 4 star variety. He has to bail out the team when they blow up and breakdown.

Figured this would go 7, but it's going to take 2 excellent and almost flawless efforts to win. Not much margin for error the way Murray is playing right now.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel on Sat May 05, 2018 10:30 pm

itissteeltime wrote:I thought we badly outplayed them. Caps converted on their scoring chances and we didn't.

People who ask how the Pens won last year without Letang are getting a crash course on the reason why. I know he was there 2 years ago, but he's a different player now. Making rookie mistakes every game, or so it seems, and has no chemistry with anyone.

I won't say he's the reason they lost, but turning a 2 on 2 into a 1 in on net was just dumb. You could see Dumoulin on the bench with a wtf look on his face.
Last edited by Daniel on Sat May 05, 2018 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pronovost19 on Sat May 05, 2018 10:30 pm

Ovechkin has come up big in this series as he did in the series against Columbus. Big game winning goal, and big assist on this one. He has not been his usual self.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tman1737 on Sat May 05, 2018 10:30 pm

Jacob Vrana = Daniel Sprong.
tman1737
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Lesky on Sat May 05, 2018 10:34 pm

tman1737 wrote:Jacob Vrana = Daniel Sprong.

Kind of.

A shame they finally put him on the 1st line. I hoped Trotz would be stupid enough to be scared to try him because he is inexperienced.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Sat May 05, 2018 10:35 pm

We need to look into getting a solid veteran backup goalie that can come in when Murray is leaky. He’s been way too inconsistent this playoff.

Like Delpen said about Vokoun.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Steve on Sat May 05, 2018 10:35 pm

Daniel wrote:
itissteeltime wrote:I thought we badly outplayed them. Caps converted on their scoring chances and we didn't.

People who ask how the Pens won last year without Letang are getting a crash course on the reason why. I know he was there 2 years ago, but he's a different player now. Making rookie mistakes every game, or so it seems, and has no chemistry with anyone.

I won't say he's the reason they lost, but turning a 2 on 2 into a 1 in on net was just dumb. You could see Dumoulin on the bench with a wtf look on his face.

Yeah I agree. Letang was a big reason why we won two years ago. I would say he almost single handedly was the reason we lost tonight. Both of their goals in the third were preventable. All he had to do was tie up his man on the winning goal and they are probably still playing now in OT. This is pee-wee hockey stuff, very disappointing.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Lesky on Sat May 05, 2018 10:35 pm

Sullivan says we got to learn, yeah right. If Letang cant keep his head straight in game 5 with a 3rd period lead, what makes you think he can do it the next game? He almost cost us the Flyers series with his terrible play in game 5, and here we go again,
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sat May 05, 2018 10:37 pm

Letang was the reason for the loss. No doubt about it. He needs to own it and play better. He could not have been worse in the third period. There is no reasoning on how he could have been that bad. No logical explanation at all.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghThing on Sat May 05, 2018 10:39 pm

Lesky wrote:Sullivan says we got to learn, yeah right. If Letang cant keep his head straight in game 5 with a 3rd period lead, what makes you think he can do it the next game? He almost cost us the Flyers series with his terrible play in game 5, and here we go again,

LEARN and LETANG do not exist in the same universe.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pressure=9Pa on Sat May 05, 2018 10:39 pm

I think we miss MAF. Not because of the obvious for the people who wish he was still playing, but I think he played a big support role with Murray to keep things light. I wouldn't be surprised if Murray is over-thinking, for the first time in his playoff career.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lesky on Sat May 05, 2018 10:40 pm

Someone also needs to give Maatta a confidence injection, he has been playing scared since that mishap deciding game 3.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pronovost19 on Sat May 05, 2018 10:40 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:Letang was the reason for the loss. No doubt about it. He needs to own it and play better. He could not have been worse in the third period. There is no reasoning on how he could have been that bad. No logical explanation at all.

When you see a player just totally vacate his position like Letang did, it makes you really wonder about if it is rigged for the Caps to win. A pee wee hockey player doesn't do that.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kharlamov on Sat May 05, 2018 10:41 pm

Daniel wrote:

Letang happened to be a young good, overall defenseman on a team that needed a number one stud dman, because it had all the other pieces of a championship team. We’re talking pre-2010 here. He never fully developed into the player that everyone thought he would be. He just kind of had the right place, right time, but, wasn’t the ideal option, just the best option The Pens had to fill that role. He’s judged and paid as if he should be the number one stud dman but rarely shows any sign that he actually is one.
Kharlamov
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lesky on Sat May 05, 2018 10:42 pm

pressure=9Pa wrote:I think we miss MAF. Not because of the obvious for the people who wish he was still playing, but I think he played a big support role with Murray to keep things light. I wouldn't be surprised if Murray is over-thinking, for the first time in his playoff career.

I agree. But would have benefited from having Fleury play for us this season and next season as well. Thats our best cup window. Murray might not be up the the task and that means the end of our cup window. I know Vegas had to pick someone, but the argument Murray is younger does not hold up well since its WIN NOW that matters, in 3-4 years Crosby and Malkin are too old.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Zalapski33 on Sat May 05, 2018 10:51 pm

Agree with the sentiments all around regarding Kris Letang.His 3rd period tonight was a nightmare and his terrible decision on the Kuznetsov goal was a prime example of his biggest weakness as a hockey player(the mental part of this game).He followed it up with another bust by not having tighter coverage on the Vrana game winner.As well as the Pens looked for 2 periods,those 2 breakdowns, along with zero goals from any forwards not named Guentzel,Crosby or Hornqvist and a bad outing by Murray and they are up against it.Game 6 on Monday will have to be Murray's best game of this year's playoffs IMHO.
Zalapski33

Postby alancac98 on Sat May 05, 2018 10:52 pm

pronovost19 wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:Letang was the reason for the loss. No doubt about it. He needs to own it and play better. He could not have been worse in the third period. There is no reasoning on how he could have been that bad. No logical explanation at all.

When you see a player just totally vacate his position like Letang did, it makes you really wonder about if it is rigged for the Caps to win. A pee wee hockey player doesn't do that.

Actually, I was thinking the same thing! No one would think anything of it since he's a complete dumbass half the time, but that really seemed odd and he didn't seem to be too bothered by it.
alancac98
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pressure=9Pa on Sat May 05, 2018 10:53 pm

Kharlamov wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Letang happened to be a young good, overall defenseman on a team that needed a number one stud dman, because it had all the other pieces of a championship team. We’re talking pre-2010 here. He never fully developed into the player that everyone thought he would be. He just kind of had the right place, right time, but, wasn’t the ideal option, just the best option The Pens had to fill that role. He’s judged and paid as if he should be the number one stud dman but rarely shows any sign that he actually is one.

From the shoulders down, Letang has every skill you'd want for an all-star D-man. Ok. his shot isn't great, but his ability skate and move the puck has always been outstanding. In fact, he may be one of the best 3 on 3 regular season OT players in the league when he gets that much open ice. I think we all saw this in 2008-11, and figured he'd mature out of the bad decision making and irresponsible play. He just hasn't, so it's doubtful he never will.

Letang's bone-headed play is the main reason I wanted Bylsma gone. In some sense, I've forgiven FHCDB.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Wyopen on Sat May 05, 2018 10:54 pm

Why does HCMS in his pressers state the obvious or repeats what he said after a previous loss. Does ever state anything really revealing, “we’ve got to learn”. Hasn’t this team learned yet?
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins