Official GDT: ROUND 2, GAME 5 - 5/5/18 Pens @ Caps

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT: ROUND 2, GAME 5 - 5/5/18 Pens @ Caps

Postby DelPen on Sat May 05, 2018 10:54 pm

Not sure why you would limit Letang and his horrible play just to the third period of this game. He’s been **** all year and when dumo doesn’t cover and now when murray doesn’t make a save either we are going to hemorrhage goals.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Sat May 05, 2018 11:00 pm

alancac98 wrote:
pronovost19 wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:Letang was the reason for the loss. No doubt about it. He needs to own it and play better. He could not have been worse in the third period. There is no reasoning on how he could have been that bad. No logical explanation at all.

When you see a player just totally vacate his position like Letang did, it makes you really wonder about if it is rigged for the Caps to win. A pee wee hockey player doesn't do that.

Actually, I was thinking the same thing! No one would think anything of it since he's a complete dumbass half the time, but that really seemed odd and he didn't seem to be too bothered by it.

It even seemed like he was trying to tell Dumoulin what to do. I can't believe that happened
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby brwi on Sat May 05, 2018 11:02 pm

Kharlamov wrote:
Letang happened to be a young good, overall defenseman on a team that needed a number one stud dman, because it had all the other pieces of a championship team. We’re talking pre-2010 here. He never fully developed into the player that everyone thought he would be. He just kind of had the right place, right time, but, wasn’t the ideal option, just the best option The Pens had to fill that role. He’s judged and paid as if he should be the number one stud dman but rarely shows any sign that he actually is one.

Exactly right. Though he was a 3rd round draft pick, the expectations were great and his praises were being sung by Scotty Bowman and Pierre and others the first shift he played in the NHL. MT was trying to make him a 2-way d-man and Pens/DB immediately benched him for 3 games when DB took over and told him to be more offensive-minded and then it was try to be like a Mike Green and not a Ryan Suter. He's simply not a #1 dman most of the time, and especially since his return from serious injury that I think has affected him.

Right now, his mistakes are directly goals against, not just a close call or the normal blunders a dman will make sometimes.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pronovost19 on Sat May 05, 2018 11:02 pm

The post that states we all thought 58 would grow out of the bone headed play of the brain dead 58 is pretty genius for many reasons...
1. We all accepted he was a young D man who needed to learn his limitations.
2. We loved his upside if he could fix those brain dead issues.
3. He had moments of greatness that were flashes of what he could become.

Giving him benefit of doubt he has had injury bug. However, his vacating his position is just inexcusable. It is the single one thing you cannot do. I THINK IF dumo could have punched him in the face he would have...he was like wtf?
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghThing on Sat May 05, 2018 11:03 pm

Wyopen wrote:Why does HCMS in his pressers state the obvious or repeats what he said after a previous loss. Does ever state anything really revealing, “we’ve got to learn”. Hasn’t this team learned yet?

There are some on this team who are incapable of learning.

Just because you make $7M a year doesn't mean you can be taught.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Antonio on Sat May 05, 2018 11:04 pm

Got to be pretty disappointing for the rest of the team to win a game and lose because of two players over and over
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Sat May 05, 2018 11:07 pm

brwi wrote:
Kharlamov wrote:
Letang happened to be a young good, overall defenseman on a team that needed a number one stud dman, because it had all the other pieces of a championship team. We’re talking pre-2010 here. He never fully developed into the player that everyone thought he would be. He just kind of had the right place, right time, but, wasn’t the ideal option, just the best option The Pens had to fill that role. He’s judged and paid as if he should be the number one stud dman but rarely shows any sign that he actually is one.

Exactly right. Though he was a 3rd round draft pick, the expectations were great and his praises were being sung by Scotty Bowman and Pierre and others the first shift he played in the NHL. MT was trying to make him a 2-way d-man and Pens/DB immediately benched him for 3 games when DB took over and told him to be more offensive-minded and then it was try to be like a Mike Green and not a Ryan Suter. He's simply not a #1 dman most of the time, and especially since his return from serious injury that I think has affected him.

Right now, his mistakes are directly goals against, not just a close call or the normal blunders a dman will make sometimes.

I think it's long overdue that he become a 3rd pairing and 2nd PP defensemen who plays about 15-18 minutes a night. Put him with Ruhwedel and shelter him like they did Schultz a couple of years ago.

Just to add, salary makes no difference in the playoffs, everyone makes the same, so his salary shouldn't play a part of where he plays.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Sat May 05, 2018 11:10 pm

Lesky wrote:
pressure=9Pa wrote:I think we miss MAF. Not because of the obvious for the people who wish he was still playing, but I think he played a big support role with Murray to keep things light. I wouldn't be surprised if Murray is over-thinking, for the first time in his playoff career.

I agree. But would have benefited from having Fleury play for us this season and next season as well. Thats our best cup window. Murray might not be up the the task and that means the end of our cup window. I know Vegas had to pick someone, but the argument Murray is younger does not hold up well since its WIN NOW that matters, in 3-4 years Crosby and Malkin are too old.

The argument was Murray makes hundreds of thousands to MAFs millions.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Daniel on Sat May 05, 2018 11:21 pm

pronovost19 wrote:The post that states we all thought 58 would grow out of the bone headed play of the brain dead 58 is pretty genius for many reasons...
1. We all accepted he was a young D man who needed to learn his limitations.
2. We loved his upside if he could fix those brain dead issues.
3. He had moments of greatness that were flashes of what he could become.

Giving him benefit of doubt he has had injury bug. However, his vacating his position is just inexcusable. It is the single one thing you cannot do. I THINK IF dumo could have punched him in the face he would have...he was like wtf?

Dumoulin has got to be the unluckiest player in hockey. The fact that he can play as the lone defensemen whenever he's on the ice should put him in the Norris discussion. Every other candidate has a defensive partner, Dumoulin has Kris Letang.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Durbano on Sat May 05, 2018 11:37 pm

Lots of loser talk from the Pens after tonight's game, especially from Matt "we were the better team" Murray.

They sound like Washington teams of years past.

Certainly don't expect them to say they're doomed, but the quotes sound/read less like determination and more like denial.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stillerz Bar on Sat May 05, 2018 11:41 pm

Durbano wrote:Lots of loser talk from the Pens after tonight's game, especially from Matt "we were the better team" Murray.

They sound like Washington teams of years past.

Certainly don't expect them to say they're doomed, but the quotes sound/read less like determination and more like denial.

Not good - they need to get their heads on straight in the next day and a half and come out both desperate and smart.
Stillerz Bar
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sirik71 on Sat May 05, 2018 11:54 pm

We played a good game, in the end some Holtby saves did us in. Don't like the putting blame at one person, you win together and you loose together. The offense could have decided this one in the second if not the third. Now we need to win the next game and put them in that place where one game decides all. Still believe wholeheartedly we can do this. Lets Go Pens!
Last edited by sirik71 on Sat May 05, 2018 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sirik71

Postby Abe Frohman on Sat May 05, 2018 11:58 pm

And, for God’s sake, can somebody convince Sullivan to get Simon and his hands of stone off the ice? If any of his prime scoring chances went to Daniel Sprong, this is a different series. The Pens need to play Sprong in the top 6 from training camp on next season. Work out his kinks, accept his ‘defensive liabilities,’ give him a good look. If not next year, move him. This team can not afford to run a player of Simon’s limited skills out with Crosby...
Abe Frohman
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby rgj on Sun May 06, 2018 12:50 am

Haven't been able to watch too many Pens' games this season due to work schedule....but, I must say that once again, the Pens defense lost the game. I realize the Pens have been down 3-2 and even 3-1 in past years...but I do not have a good sense regarding this series vs the Caps. Too many MENTAL mistakes that championship teams do not make.
rgj
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Sun May 06, 2018 3:52 am

bad stupid loss,due to single players blunders..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Sun May 06, 2018 8:15 am

Sully: "We've got to learn".

By the time a defenseman reaches the professional level, certain aspects of the game are not learned, they are instinctive. The mistakes being made (by #58) are mistakes that fall into that category. It is too late.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Sun May 06, 2018 8:28 am

Pens have a lot going against them right now in terms of pulling this series out. Malkin and Kessel are clearly injured, Murray is inconsistent, Letang is having an awful series, and of course the insane amount of hockey they have played the last three years.

That being said, if the Pens win Game 6 they will win the series. The Capitals are not winning a Game 7 at their place against Pittsburgh.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Sun May 06, 2018 8:36 am

Pens4Life wrote:bad stupid loss,due to single players blunders..

Pretty much every loss this playoffs though. Only team that can beat the Pens are the Pens.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Sun May 06, 2018 8:40 am

farnham16 wrote:Pens have a lot going against them right now in terms of pulling this series out. Malkin and Kessel are clearly injured, Murray is inconsistent, Letang is having an awful series, and of course the insane amount of hockey they have played the last three years.

That being said, if the Pens win Game 6 they will win the series. The Capitals are not winning a Game 7 at their place against Pittsburgh.

I am all in for game six!
Sullivan has decisions to make, they need a two goal separation! Or more. They must break Holtby!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby America on Sun May 06, 2018 9:48 am

I’d blame Murray more than Letang on #4. Way out of position.
America
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins