SCP18 Game 5 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: SCP18 Game 5 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby battleship kelly on Sun May 06, 2018 6:47 pm

Letangs feelings are hurt because he was taken off of top power play. Heads not in it.
battleship kelly
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:17 pm

Re: SCP18 Game 5 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Cow_Master66 on Sun May 06, 2018 7:14 pm

I don’t want to see Simon but there is nobody else that is capable of stepping in right now.

I thought we played well enough to win but Holtby made some spectacular saves when his team needed him to. I am comfortable we would have a good shot at winning the next 2 with similar performances.

This team is beat up, but I expect their best game tomorrow and will be very difficult to close out.

Pens in 7
Cow_Master66
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 9:41 am

Re: SCP18 Game 5 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby DistinctKickingMtn on Sun May 06, 2018 7:20 pm

In the time it took me to read this thread, the Caps scored three more goals high glove side on Murray.
DistinctKickingMtn
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: SCP18 Game 5 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby pcmforless on Sun May 06, 2018 7:49 pm

I think the run has just plum run out of gas. Two straight Stanley Cup runs to the finals is a lot of hockey. I think the bounces aren't going their way and I think the injuries and all those games played are taking their toll. I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst. But, thanks again Pens for back to back cups and a hell of a ride the last few years. I think this may be Tampa's year.
And yeah, Letang is pure garbage this year :(
pcmforless
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 585
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:24 am
Location: RENO, NV

Re: SCP18 Game 5 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby midd on Sun May 06, 2018 7:59 pm

And.... the sky is falling, again. Letang has not been good all year. But this whole Murray thing just boggles my mind. He has come up with some huge saves this series yet he plays second goat to Letang. I have to shake my head. Mistakes and possibly injuries have been the Pens faults these playoffs. But they are in every game this series.

Sid puts that puck through Holtby's pads but it goes parallel with the goal line.

Maatta came inches from tying the game late in third.

Brassard, Hagelin and even Simon (minus the tripping penalty) played their best games of the series. That has to continue.

Pens had a lot of possession time in the Caps zone. The longest was before Simon's penalty and the Caps scored.

The opportunities are there for the Pens. They just have to take advantage of them. And STAY OUT OF THE BOX.
midd
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 643
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:50 pm
Location: First and First, the Nexus of the Universe

Re: SCP18 Game 5 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby pressure=9Pa on Sun May 06, 2018 7:59 pm

Humperdink wrote:Trotz: "“I know the standard's been set...."

Yep, the standard's been set. When the NHL sees Carlson drinking all his meals through a straw, they will re-evaluate the hit. Until then, just shut up.


Well, the standard might also include that if he does it a second time, they'll remember the first when deciding the suspension. No one knows what the standard really is for suspension. However, I'd call Jake's hit a careless illegal hit to the head, and Wilson's a reckless illegal hit to the head.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,845
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:46 pm
Location: Northern Indiana

Re: SCP18 Game 5 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Antonio on Sun May 06, 2018 8:34 pm

Making saves no one expects is great when it happens but I don't expect it (obviously). That is worthless though, when you let in goals that should never go in, over and over.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,229
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:08 pm

Re: SCP18 Game 5 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby FLPensFan on Sun May 06, 2018 9:05 pm

I saw very little of the last 2 games. Listened to Game 4 on a drive up to South Carolina, and watched the 3rd period of Game 5 after a wedding......so don't have a lot of details to go on, but, I'll go back to what I said at the start of this series.....

Kris Letang, Game 2
Jamie Oleksiak, Game 5

Those are the only 2 non-PP goals scored by someone other than Crosby, Hornqvist, or Guentzel. In fact, Malkin has the only other goal (on the PP) not by 87, 72, and 59.
13 total goals by the Penguins this series, 10 of those by Crosby, Guetnzel, and Hornqvist.

THEY CANNOT WIN THE SERIES WITHOUT MORE HELP SCORING GOALS!!!!!

Kessel, Brassard, Rust, Hagelin.......Sheary, Sheahan, Simon, Kuhnhackl. 8 forwards without a goal in this series. That won't work. Yes, the defense hasn't been good at times, but it hasn't been horrible either. The Penguins blew 2 one goal leads last night. Would sure be a big help if one of those 8 forwards could have put up an insurance goal.

The Penguins will not win this series without those 8 guys snapping out of their funk. Someone called me crazy on Twitter for this, but I would split Crosby, Guentzel, and Hornqvist onto 3 separate lines, to see if that can help jumpstart some additional offense. Or put Simon in for Sprong.......or start giving Crosby more shifts with other winger pairs to try and help get them going.

The way I see it right now, Penguins eek out a win tomorrow at home, they go to Game 7 in Washington, Tom Wilson returns, and the Penguins waste too much energy on Wilson and lose in Game 7.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,088
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: SCP18 Game 5 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Antonio on Sun May 06, 2018 9:37 pm

We win game 5 if Letang isn't a total imbecile and Murray isn't a sieve.

We win game 3 if Letang isn't a total imbecile and Murray isn't a sieve.

Series is now 4-1 and over. Nothing else needed to change. I don't disagree we need more contributions but the top 2 statements are all facts.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,229
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:08 pm

Re: SCP18 Game 5 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby America on Sun May 06, 2018 10:14 pm

Fleury with shutout #4.

We kept the wrong goalie.
America
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,135
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:56 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: SCP18 Game 5 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby DelPen on Sun May 06, 2018 10:20 pm

America wrote:Fleury with shutout #4.

We kept the wrong goalie.

Imagine the ransom we could have got for Murray last summer. That alone would have been worth moving him instead.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,994
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: SCP18 Game 5 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby DelPen on Sun May 06, 2018 10:21 pm

Antonio wrote:We win game 5 if Letang isn't a total imbecile and Murray isn't a sieve.

We win game 3 if Letang isn't a total imbecile and Murray isn't a sieve.

Series is now 4-1 and over. Nothing else needed to change. I don't disagree we need more contributions but the top 2 statements are all facts.


I’m willing to concede we shouldn’t have won game one if you give us back 3 and 5. Still should be coming home with a chance to put the series away instead of needing to survive.

Third period collapses have been brutal.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,994
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: SCP18 Game 5 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Crashguy66 on Sun May 06, 2018 10:23 pm

Ryan Reaves. 3rd star. 8 hits
Crashguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 914
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 6:25 pm

Re: SCP18 Game 5 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Durbano on Sun May 06, 2018 10:37 pm

The hockey gods were with the Pens at key moments the last two playoff runs. And now, notwithstanding our collective affection for MAF, they're kind of rubbing it in (with Reaves' performance tonight an extra dash of salt).
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,644
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:33 pm

Re: SCP18 Game 5 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Risto on Mon May 07, 2018 12:15 am

thehockeyguru wrote:The Pens continuing to play Simon when he has shown ZERO offensive impact has drawn criticism but if he's going to take lazy penalties how can HCMS continue to play him. I think HCDB played favorites and it hurt him sad to see Sully falling into that same trap.


This has been a thing throughout Sid's career- that the Pens will throw anyone off the street onto his wing and expect Sid to elevate them. Simon is a classic example. He is, for sure, your #13 or #14 forward depth wise in the organization right now, and he's skating on your top line...in the playoffs.
Risto
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:21 pm

Re: SCP18 Game 5 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby SubtropicalPenguin on Mon May 07, 2018 3:30 am

I expect great things from the pens in game 6. This is the two time defending Stanley cup champs. They have given infinite examples of why we should believe in them. My expectation is that they will put forth an outstanding effort and push this to 7 games. Who knows how this will end, but I fully expect a great effort. LGP!
SubtropicalPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:52 pm

Re: SCP18 Game 5 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Wyopen on Mon May 07, 2018 6:38 am

America wrote:Fleury with shutout #4.

We kept the wrong goalie.

And to think we gave LV and second round draft choice to take him if I’m not mistaken.
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:43 pm

Re: SCP18 Game 5 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Zarovich on Mon May 07, 2018 7:22 am

DistinctKickingMtn wrote:In the time it took me to read this thread, the Caps scored three more goals high glove side on Murray.


Of the 4 goals he gave up, only one was "high glove" and no goalie was getting that. I see a lot of goals being scored high glove against a lot of goalies. The thing with Murray is that those used to be the only goals he gave up. Now he is giving up five-hole. Can we beat those to death now?
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,945
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:50 pm
Location: Waiting for the write-up...

Re: SCP18 Game 5 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby brwi on Mon May 07, 2018 7:42 am

Zarovich wrote:
DistinctKickingMtn wrote:In the time it took me to read this thread, the Caps scored three more goals high glove side on Murray.


Of the 4 goals he gave up, only one was "high glove" and no goalie was getting that. I see a lot of goals being scored high glove against a lot of goalies. The thing with Murray is that those used to be the only goals he gave up. Now he is giving up five-hole. Can we beat those to death now?


You'll get nowhere with the fanatical anti-Murray contingent by pointing out reality.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,207
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:36 am

Re: SCP18 Game 5 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Humperdink on Mon May 07, 2018 7:53 am

brwi wrote:
Zarovich wrote:
DistinctKickingMtn wrote:In the time it took me to read this thread, the Caps scored three more goals high glove side on Murray.


Of the 4 goals he gave up, only one was "high glove" and no goalie was getting that. I see a lot of goals being scored high glove against a lot of goalies. The thing with Murray is that those used to be the only goals he gave up. Now he is giving up five-hole. Can we beat those to death now?


You'll get nowhere with the fanatical anti-Murray contingent by pointing out reality.


I am not anti-Murray in any way. I just wish he would up his game. We are running out of time.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,701
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:10 am
Location: Allegheny National Forest

Re: SCP18 Game 5 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby brwi on Mon May 07, 2018 8:24 am

Humperdink wrote:
brwi wrote:
Zarovich wrote:
DistinctKickingMtn wrote:In the time it took me to read this thread, the Caps scored three more goals high glove side on Murray.


Of the 4 goals he gave up, only one was "high glove" and no goalie was getting that. I see a lot of goals being scored high glove against a lot of goalies. The thing with Murray is that those used to be the only goals he gave up. Now he is giving up five-hole. Can we beat those to death now?


You'll get nowhere with the fanatical anti-Murray contingent by pointing out reality.


I am not anti-Murray in any way. I just wish he would up his game. We are running out of time.


I totally agree and have said the same. He's not above criticism by any means this series, but it's got to be like beating a dead horse. It's not like he's been playing like Rinne now or Bobrovsky did.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,207
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:36 am

Re: SCP18 Game 5 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Mon May 07, 2018 8:37 am

Durbano wrote:The hockey gods were with the Pens at key moments the last two playoff runs. And now, notwithstanding our collective affection for MAF, they're kind of rubbing it in (with Reaves' performance tonight an extra dash of salt).


I'll tell you one thing about the hockey gods... they will always surprise you.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,390
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:12 am
Location: UPMC - Universal Pens Mojo Council

Re: SCP18 Game 5 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby scpensfan on Mon May 07, 2018 8:59 am

Life kinda sucks, but win at home tonight and all the pressure in the world comes crashing down on WAS in Game 7. Remember all the stories written about the atmosphere in D.C. for Game 7 last year? How tight the fans and the Caps were? Will be just as bad, if not worse, this year.
scpensfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,177
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:34 pm
Location: Palm City, FL

Re: SCP18 Game 5 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby penny lane on Mon May 07, 2018 9:03 am

SubtropicalPenguin wrote:I expect great things from the pens in game 6. This is the two time defending Stanley cup champs. They have given infinite examples of why we should believe in them. My expectation is that they will put forth an outstanding effort and push this to 7 games. Who knows how this will end, but I fully expect a great effort. LGP!

Alleluia Amen!

Tonight is about nothing but winning each period and the game.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,977
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Listen to the wind, it talks. Listen to the silence, it speaks. Listen to your heart, it knows.

Re: SCP18 Game 5 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby E-Ramone on Mon May 07, 2018 9:07 am

^^Yep, one period at a time. No point in holding anything back tonight.
E-Ramone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:49 pm
Location: Rochester, NY

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests


e-mail