SCP18 Game 5 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: SCP18 Game 5 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Cow_Master66 on Mon May 07, 2018 9:13 am

Amazing on a daily basis the panic around Murray. When has he not bounced back?

Sick of Simon? Me too, but who do you want in? Sprong? Better chance you never see him in a Pens jersey than in a playoff game.

Team is beat up, but Washington is gonna have a hell of a time winning the 4th game. I like our chances...

:scared:
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Antonio on Mon May 07, 2018 9:37 am

Cow_Master66 wrote:Amazing on a daily basis the panic around Murray. When has he not bounced back?

Game 6 against Philly. Game 2. Game 3. Game 5.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Mon May 07, 2018 9:43 am

Team is managing to win despite Murray. He needs to steal a game tonight and Wednesday. Fleury doing it on a regular basis this year.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jreed on Mon May 07, 2018 10:25 am

Id like to see reduced TOI for Letang and give some of those minutes to Schultz. Letang has become a liability in this series and is a -5. I hold my breath every time he is on the ice. It seems like every time there is a scoring chance he is on the ice.

Murray needs to control the puck...he's giving up a lot of second chance opportunities. Making the defense work a little harder than they need to. He hasnt looked comfortable for some reason but I think he'll put it together tonight. They need him to come up big tonight.

I would also like to see Sheary moved up to Sid's line. He's been playing well and creating chances. Kessel and Brassard were playing well in Game5 but they need to find the back of the net. Playing well counts for nothing unless you score.
jreed
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Wyopen on Mon May 07, 2018 10:59 am

America wrote:Fleury with shutout #4.

We kept the wrong goalie.

It’s a shame hindsight is 20/20.
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby interstorm on Mon May 07, 2018 11:05 am

Wyopen wrote:

It is more than just that -- the salary difference also means if we kept MAF, we might not have someone else. Granted -- possibly Murray could have been traded for a young player to fill that gap on a low salary...but at some point that becomes a lot of guesswork. Also I think Fleury would have problems bailing out Letang's mistakes as well.

We have what we have -- which is still a lot better than most. Keep moving forward...
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Wyopen on Mon May 07, 2018 11:13 am

interstorm wrote:
Wyopen wrote:

It is more than just that -- the salary difference also means if we kept MAF, we might not have someone else. Granted -- possibly Murray could have been traded for a young player to fill that gap on a low salary...but at some point that becomes a lot of guesswork. Also I think Fleury would have problems bailing out Letang's mistakes as well.

We have what we have -- which is still a lot better than most. Keep moving forward...

If he would have bailed Letang out on half of his mistakes, we may have been in a more favorable position, but it is what it is. LGP.
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby America on Mon May 07, 2018 11:22 am

Wyopen wrote:

I, like many others, were in the keep Fluery camp all along.
America
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Mon May 07, 2018 11:22 am

Delayed Offsides liked
Pittsburgh Penguins
‏Verified account @penguins
2m2 minutes ago
Coach Sullivan: "We are a team. It's all about an attitude going in. It's a great opportunity - that's how we have to look at it. We have to control what we can and put our best game on the ice tonight. We have to stay in the moment and not get overwhelmed by the circumstance."

Pittsburgh Penguins
‏Verified account @penguins
Coach Sullivan on Letang: "I talked to him. I told him how important he is to our team and how good he is. He's helped this team win championships. That's the player we know & love. Everyone makes mistakes. You just have to react the right away and look to the next opportunity."

:thumb:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby America on Mon May 07, 2018 11:58 am

Letang is going to try too hard tonight.
America
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Inkio on Mon May 07, 2018 12:31 pm

America wrote:Letang is going to try too hard tonight.

I'm hoping the talk with Sully has the opposite effect. I hope it makes him more aware on the ice and play better.

HOPINGGGGGG
Inkio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Mon May 07, 2018 12:36 pm

I have to admit my love for Letang has slowly the past couple years been diminishing. I would be completely ok trading him to someone say Buffalo for high draft pick. Use the 7M and sign a 4M D-man and use the other 3M to tack on to what we have remaining and make run a Tavares...pipe dream but Tavares/Crosby/Jake on line is magical.
Pensfan4life8771
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Mon May 07, 2018 12:38 pm

One other comment...I truly do believe no matter how Pens season ends this year..I think Letang is not a Penguin next year. On the flip side I do think Ian Cole will be again.
Pensfan4life8771
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Wyopen on Mon May 07, 2018 12:42 pm

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:One other comment...I truly do believe no matter how Pens season ends this year..I think Letang is not a Penguin next year. On the flip side I do think Ian Cole will be again.

I thought HCMS hated Cole. With due respect who would want Letang with his contract and mental lapses?
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Mon May 07, 2018 12:44 pm

I'm sure a team that could use a veteran D would. A lot of teams in league still think Letang is good. I'd even be okay keeping the guy but not for $7M.
Pensfan4life8771
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Mon May 07, 2018 12:45 pm

A discussion for after the Pens season is over...I just think we could use the $7M in other places like a more stay at home D..think Dumo V2. Rebuild the 4th line wingers.
Pensfan4life8771
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Badger Bob on Mon May 07, 2018 1:06 pm

Trotz is saying that Backstrom is a game time decision. Interesting.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Antonio on Mon May 07, 2018 1:54 pm

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:One other comment...I truly do believe no matter how Pens season ends this year..I think Letang is not a Penguin next year.

We should be so lucky. Didn't want him when they signed that absurd contract, don't want him now.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jreed on Mon May 07, 2018 2:15 pm

Dont think Letang will be here next year either and believe there are alot of teams out there that would gladly take him. I believe he can get back to where he was but dont think it will be with this team.
jreed
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Antonio on Mon May 07, 2018 2:49 pm

That contract is an anchor. It will only get worse for us as the years go on. Moving him this off-season is our best chance I think. He isn't getting better and if he does... great. Do it somewhere else. He's the dumbest player I've ever seen on the ice and he is a petulant fool. When he's at the top of his game, he's great but way too much downside. When I can literally say we would have won a series except for the actions of 2 guys, and he is one, he can go. Murray at least hopefully is young enough to improve his deficiencies.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby flame on Mon May 07, 2018 3:01 pm

Lol at the people who think it’s easy to move Letang. Let me have some of what you’re drinking. He has a huge long term deal for a huge contract number with tons of past injury issues. That doesn’t even include his play this season in the reasoning. Moving him would be difficult if not impossible. I’m gonna assume we would have to retain salary for the duration of the contract to even have that as a possibility.
flame
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Abe Frohman on Mon May 07, 2018 3:41 pm

flame wrote:Lol at the people who think it’s easy to move Letang. Let me have some of what you’re drinking. He has a huge long term deal for a huge contract number with tons of past injury issues. That doesn’t even include his play this season in the reasoning. Moving him would be difficult if not impossible. I’m gonna assume we would have to retain salary for the duration of the contract to even have that as a possibility.

Cannot agree more. I was against that ridiculous contract when they offered it. Now, with his more recent injuries, NOBODY is taking it off the Pens’ hands without them eating a significant portion of it, resulting in dead space in a salary cap era. Either that or the Pens will be forced to package him with a ZAR or Sprong on entry-level deals. In either case, the $7.25M thru 2022 is going to be painful.
Abe Frohman
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Antonio on Mon May 07, 2018 5:16 pm

Well since apparently sprong **** Sullivan's wife and then spit on recchi after burning down Rutherford's house, they can move him with Letang.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Mon May 07, 2018 5:28 pm

Letang has admitted his mistake, he's moved on... can we please?

Game 6 tonight, let's live in the now!

Let's Go Pens!
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins