Official GDT: ROUND 2, GAME 6 - 5/7/18 Pens vs Caps

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT: ROUND 2, GAME 6 - 5/7/18 Pens vs Caps

Postby itissteeltime on Mon May 07, 2018 9:15 pm

Brassard + Letang + 2nd rounder for Erik Karlsson
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Mon May 07, 2018 9:15 pm

IntangibleBeer wrote:
Southern Fan wrote:Tomorrow we'll start hearing about all the guys hurt and the off season surgeries.

Team effort.

3 years. They won the last 2.

They do need to deal with Letang. He is either a liability they can package and move or he works out whatever is making him a trainwreck. Or... Worse.... He was always a trainwreck but had an elite goaltender that didnt let every mistake in his net.

Yes, and I'm guessing there are a lot of injuries and a lot of really tired players. They've been on this treadmill for 2 years.

I hope the summer brings a re-tooling of the defense.
Last edited by Pitt87 on Mon May 07, 2018 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Inkio on Mon May 07, 2018 9:15 pm

IntangibleBeer wrote:When we look back on it, giving up Ian Cole was probably the missing piece that would have kept the team in the hunt. I don't think Brassard was the problem, but failing to replace Cole was.

This team needs more defense. We reload and go after it next year. With a better D, there's no reason this group can't hoist another Stanley Cup or two or three.

Yup the Ian Cole deal murdered our defense.
Inkio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pronovost19 on Mon May 07, 2018 9:16 pm

wondermoose wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:
wondermoose wrote:I really didn't want it to be Letang that sank this team. He's going to have a longer off-season than anyone else.

He wasn't the only one caught flat-footed on that play. Dumoulin didn't react well, either.

One person can only do so much though. Dumo wasn't out of position until Letang turned it over (and also put himself out of position). I love Letang, but man, he's making it hard.

What is funny is how the Caps just sat back patiently and waited for that mistake. Then pounced. It was like they knew We would eventually turn it over at the blue line and they would split the safeties. We needed to take to the red line and dump...but too effin hard headed...gotta make a play with speed. That was a game of patience chicken and the penguins took the bait
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IntangibleBeer on Mon May 07, 2018 9:16 pm

itissteeltime wrote:Brassard + Letang + 2nd rounder for Erik Karlsson

With Karlsson's achilles tendon issue (he's never been the same) waiting to go? I don't think so.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby itissteeltime on Mon May 07, 2018 9:16 pm

Inkio wrote:
IntangibleBeer wrote:When we look back on it, giving up Ian Cole was probably the missing piece that would have kept the team in the hunt. I don't think Brassard was the problem, but failing to replace Cole was.

This team needs more defense. We reload and go after it next year. With a better D, there's no reason this group can't hoist another Stanley Cup or two or three.

Yup the Ian Cole deal murdered our defense.

Defense was pretty fine tonight. Tough to win on 1 goal.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Mon May 07, 2018 9:17 pm

Antonio wrote:If Murray had been identical to what he was but didn't let in the goals that were expected 100% saves and nothing else changed...we win in 6. Who cares now though. We lost. It's over. Root for Tampa. And... Letang needs to go. Send him to the khl, I don't care.

DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pensfaninhudsonvalley on Mon May 07, 2018 9:17 pm

Abe Frohman wrote:
pensfaninhudsonvalley wrote:Also don't want to see Brassard in uniform either trade him with Letang for Erik Karlsson!!!! And retire Rutherford, let Guerin make that trade

Unless the Pens eat half his contract OR package him with a Sprong or ZAR, nobody is taking on Letang’s contract. He is injury-prone and has a 2-cent head for the game...
There

There is an old saying, you can find a sucka anywhere for a deal
pensfaninhudsonvalley
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Mon May 07, 2018 9:17 pm

Are you kidding me? How is Cole going to solve the lack of depth production?
iWonTheCup87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby usc89 on Mon May 07, 2018 9:17 pm

Trade Letang and get three defensemen like Hainsey, Cole and Daley. They didn't make stupid turnovers and mental lapses etc...

we proved we could win without him last year. Not only is he soft but he is a head case.
usc89

Postby DelPen on Mon May 07, 2018 9:18 pm

pensfaninhudsonvalley wrote:
Abe Frohman wrote:
pensfaninhudsonvalley wrote:Also don't want to see Brassard in uniform either trade him with Letang for Erik Karlsson!!!! And retire Rutherford, let Guerin make that trade

Unless the Pens eat half his contract OR package him with a Sprong or ZAR, nobody is taking on Letang’s contract. He is injury-prone and has a 2-cent head for the game...
There

There is an old saying, you can find a sucka anywhere for a deal

Bergevin is that sucker.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanSince1970 on Mon May 07, 2018 9:18 pm

4/13/16---5/7/18 Thanks for the playoff ride Pens
PensFanSince1970
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby sirik71 on Mon May 07, 2018 9:18 pm

There are a lot of reasons (posts, missed oportunities among them) why we lost this series but the one that stands out is that in the end they just wanted it more. The playing all year round has finally caught up with us but that doesn't take away we had a great run, thank you so much Penguins for providing us with so much fun, winning and hapiness :) Losing to the Caps is never a fine experience but I think winning a third series in a row against the team with best points total and most goals scored over the past three years, while starting the series on the road every year, would have been an incredible feat in itself. Now time for a break, probably feeling sour for a while but enjoy a well deserved vacation and we will be back next year, Lets Go Pens!
Last edited by sirik71 on Mon May 07, 2018 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sirik71

Postby Abe Frohman on Mon May 07, 2018 9:19 pm

IntangibleBeer wrote:

With Karlsson's achilles tendon issue (he's never been the same) waiting to go? I don't think so.

And if U hate Letang’s defense, U aren’t getting better zone play from Karlsson.
Abe Frohman
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby America on Mon May 07, 2018 9:20 pm

I watched the replay and Murray plays that breakaway horribly. Ship Letang, Brassard, and Murray on a one way ticket out of town.
America
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crashguy66 on Mon May 07, 2018 9:20 pm

It's been one helluva 2 year stretch. Thanks Pens! 5 months till puck drop.
Crashguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Mon May 07, 2018 9:21 pm

America wrote:I watched the replay and Murray plays that breakaway horribly. Ship Letang, Brassard, and Murray on a one way ticket out of town.

He does. It was horrible.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby America on Mon May 07, 2018 9:21 pm

iWonTheCup87 wrote:

Letang was directly responsible (along with Murray) for losing this series. We can point to two guys and say it’s their fault.
America
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Mon May 07, 2018 9:21 pm

Abe Frohman wrote:
IntangibleBeer wrote:

And if U hate Letang’s defense, U aren’t getting better zone play from Karlsson.

Does Karlsson shoot every **** shot into the defense?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PenGator88 on Mon May 07, 2018 9:22 pm

It was a good run, but I'm just gutted right now.
PenGator88
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sirik71 on Mon May 07, 2018 9:22 pm

America wrote:I watched the replay and Murray plays that breakaway horribly. Ship Letang, Brassard, and Murray on a one way ticket out of town.

I read your post over and over and ship this one out of this message board please :)
sirik71

Postby DelPen on Mon May 07, 2018 9:23 pm

sirik71 wrote:

I read your post over and over and ship this one out of this message board please :)

Why? It’s all true.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pronovost19 on Mon May 07, 2018 9:23 pm

Abe Frohman wrote:
IntangibleBeer wrote:

No amount of conjecture could ever get me to contemplate that Karlsson will ever be a Penguin. I would venture to say that the Habs or Leafs would be in on Letang but not Ottawa.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Antonio on Mon May 07, 2018 9:25 pm

America wrote:
iWonTheCup87 wrote:

Letang was directly responsible (along with Murray) for losing this series. We can point to two guys and say it’s their fault.

Totally correct
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Faubert5 on Mon May 07, 2018 9:25 pm

I didn't get to watch the game tonight but it sounds like I wouldn't have seen anything that would be new and unfamiliar to me.

1. Murray let in a softie or two.
2. Letang made some bonehead plays.
3. No depth scoring.

Edmonton took a year off before it went out and won two in a row again then another year off and another win. But we won't do that with Murray and Letang playing the way they did and no one below the first line notching a goal. We'll probably find out the Geno (knee), Brass (groin), and Kessel (shoulder?) all had near death experiences and will probably all face offseason surgery or rehab.

I'm going to accept that we're not moving on and fly my 5-time champion flag tomorrow which will be more fun if the Preds lose tonight.

J-e-t-s Jets Jets Jets
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins