2018 Summer Game Plan

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby joker10277 on Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:17 pm

Man islanders aren’t messing around, saw they have 4 picks in the first 43.....hired Trotz, could be a quick turnaround
joker10277
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:24 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
KG wrote:Sheary and Jarry for Skinner and $1mill retained.

Canes get younger and they need a goalie. Doesn’t seem that far off.

That's not a horrible deal. If Sheary produces, hes still a bit of a drop off from Skinners skill level and production, but hes also 2M cheaper.

Right now, I'd be happy if the Penguins could swap out Sheary for Skinner or Grabner.

Yesterday I really thought Kessel talk was going to lead to a trade, but I think that has cooled off right now.

Was listening to Madden on my drive to Memphis today, and Madden seems to think Brassard is top candidate to get moved. A few of his points make sense, but I can not see them trading him right now. Madden said a 4/5 d-man and 3rd line winger or mid draft pick would be likely return, which is probably accurate. No way Rutherford gave up a 1st and Gustavsson for only 3 months of Brassard. At only 3m, it makes much more sense to move sheary for the money. If Brassard still doesn't fit, move him in December/January.

Coincidence that Panarin is available? If I'm looking for a scoring winger and Panarin becomes available I put Kessel on the back burner
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:39 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

That's not a horrible deal. If Sheary produces, hes still a bit of a drop off from Skinners skill level and production, but hes also 2M cheaper.

Right now, I'd be happy if the Penguins could swap out Sheary for Skinner or Grabner.

Yesterday I really thought Kessel talk was going to lead to a trade, but I think that has cooled off right now.

Was listening to Madden on my drive to Memphis today, and Madden seems to think Brassard is top candidate to get moved. A few of his points make sense, but I can not see them trading him right now. Madden said a 4/5 d-man and 3rd line winger or mid draft pick would be likely return, which is probably accurate. No way Rutherford gave up a 1st and Gustavsson for only 3 months of Brassard. At only 3m, it makes much more sense to move sheary for the money. If Brassard still doesn't fit, move him in December/January.

Coincidence that Panarin is available? If I'm looking for a scoring winger and Panarin becomes available I put Kessel on the back burner

Yes. All of a sudden there are some wings potentially available. Panarin, Skinner, Kovalchuk, Kessel. Have to play it out.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:49 pm

ville5 wrote:Officially $79.5 million to spend.
Brassard related- Kingerski of Pittsburghhockeynow had a sentence in one of the articles that said Brassard is the fall back plan for ROR's main suitor.

Main suitor for ROR is reportedly Montreal, and Buf reportedly will only trade him to MTL for #3 overall.

Brassard is tough. I think, like Perron when he came here, he needs to be given more of a chance. I think Sheahan is ok at 3C, but we could do better.....but Sheahan isn't going to be able to step in for sid or geno like Brassard could.

If Montreal wanted Brassard, I'd be trying to make Brassard, Sheary, and a pick for Paciorrety and Danault.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby dark_forces on Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:55 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Brassard related- Kingerski of Pittsburghhockeynow had a sentence in one of the articles that said Brassard is the fall back plan for ROR's main suitor.

Main suitor for ROR is reportedly Montreal, and Buf reportedly will only trade him to MTL for #3 overall.

Brassard is tough. I think, like Perron when he came here, he needs to be given more of a chance. I think Sheahan is ok at 3C, but we could do better.....but Sheahan isn't going to be able to step in for sid or geno like Brassard could.

If Montreal wanted Brassard, I'd be trying to make Brassard, Sheary, and a pick for Paciorrety and Danault.

I'd do that deal in a heartbeat as long as the pick isn't our own 2nd this year. Nice LW depth and you can let Danault and Sheahan duke it out for 3rd line center.
dark_forces
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby KG on Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:11 pm

I would move Brassard if we got a nice offer. His cap hit makes him that more of a commodity. That said, he is in the last year of his deal and will get more money elsewhere.

Think there might be more of a market for Brassard then Kessel. Cheap quality 2 way center.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:11 pm

dark_forces wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

I'd do that deal in a heartbeat as long as the pick isn't our own 2nd this year. Nice LW depth and you can let Danault and Sheahan duke it out for 3rd line center.

Call it in to Bettman guys. Montreal supposedly wanted Lauzon and have a ton of picks already. They may want him.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Maestro on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:11 pm

So if ROR does not go to Montreal, Brass for Patches likely...
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:22 pm

Maestro wrote:So if ROR does not go to Montreal, Brass for Patches likely...

Bergevin states tonight he is not trading #3 overall.....

I still don't think Brassard is enough for Paciorrety, and I still have concern that if the Penguins trade Brassard, that the 3C and 4C for the Penguins will be strong enough to contend.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:53 pm

ville5 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
ville5 wrote:GM John Chayka says Yohe is full of it.
http://arizonasports.com/category/podca ... g+%26+Wolf

Any summary for those that cant immediately listen.

“I’d like to know more about it, too. I think it’s terrible reporting,” Chayka said. “It’s inaccurate across the board from start to finish. I don’t know where some things come up. I’m the one having trade discussions, those discussions with the Penguins haven’t occurred. Unless someone else is making calls that I don’t know about, I’m not sure where his information’s coming from.”
http://arizonasports.com/story/1567023/ ... -penguins/

Somebody asked Yohe about this in the comments of an article he wrote tonight. His response:

He can say what he wants. I’m not the type to get into a war of words. I know what I was told and I trust the people who told me.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:58 pm

Rumor out there tonight, in reference to Jason Zucker being available, is that Paul Fenton (Wild GM) offered Niederreiter and Zucker for Domi and another player (believed to be Christian Dvorak). :shock:
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ville5 on Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:37 am

FLPensFan wrote:Rumor out there tonight, in reference to Jason Zucker being available, is that Paul Fenton (Wild GM) offered Niederreiter and Zucker for Domi and another player (believed to be Christian Dvorak). :shock:

Russo's article said Niederreiter, Zucker and Ennis for Domi and Dvorak. Here, take my old scuffed toys for your shiny new ones lol.
Fenton is goona want to put his own stamp on the team.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby drewcpappas on Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:22 am

joker10277 wrote:Man islanders aren’t messing around, saw they have 4 picks in the first 43.....hired Trotz, could be a quick turnaround

By the time those picks play in the league Trotz will be long gone from the Island
drewcpappas

Postby KG on Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:27 am

drewcpappas wrote:
joker10277 wrote:Man islanders aren’t messing around, saw they have 4 picks in the first 43.....hired Trotz, could be a quick turnaround

By the time those picks play in the league Trotz will be long gone from the Island

One of those 2nd round picks will probably go for Grubauer. Makes too much sense not to happen.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:42 am

KG wrote:
drewcpappas wrote:

One of those 2nd round picks will probably go for Grubauer. Makes too much sense not to happen.

Caps fans think that they will get #11 or #12 for Grubauer's rights. Delusional Caps fans make me lol.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby drewcpappas on Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:48 am

Jim wrote:
KG wrote:
drewcpappas wrote:

Caps fans think that they will get #11 or #12 for Grubauer's rights. Delusional Caps fans make me lol.

I don't think that will happen. I could be wrong, but I think the highest I've seen a players rights traded for was maybe a 3rd.
drewcpappas

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:46 am

Lol from Eklund, it would be cool if he used spell check:

On Phil Kessel...

I still don't think he is going anywhere, but I am hearing some regarding Ahaheim...
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:15 am

Latest rumor has them in on Karlsson with both 11 and 12 overall back the other way.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:18 am

Hoping on a plane to head back home to Florida in 2 hours, so I expect at least 1 deal to happen while I am in the air.

Nothing solid on the penguins right now. Two biggest rumors only heading into the draft are they are linked to skinner, and brassard being a plan B for Montreal.

Other word is that Rutherford hasn't really negotiated with main RFAs yet because he wants to keep the cap space available for trades. He makes a move he likes that eats into RFA resign space, then he could move a guy like Rust or Sheahan.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby jreed on Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:13 am

Id like that deal. Wonder what it would take to lure away a defenseman like TVR? Would make a nice solid 3rd pairing, he's right handed, still young, and low cost. He's an RFA.
jreed
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:27 am

jreed wrote:

Id like that deal. Wonder what it would take to lure away a defenseman like TVR? Would make a nice solid 3rd pairing, he's right handed, still young, and low cost. He's an RFA.

I've mentioned JVR several times. I would love to add him to the Pens, not sure what else they would have to add? Maybe Simon and a pick?
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:34 am

JVR or TVR?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:34 am

jreed wrote:

The Canes would really have to love Jarry to make that trade. Skinner >>>>>>>better than Sheary. I suspect the Canes would have multiple offers that are better than this one.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:46 am

pens_CT wrote:
jreed wrote:

The Canes would really have to love Jarry to make that trade. Skinner >>>>>>>better than Sheary. I suspect the Canes would have multiple offers that are better than this one.

Of course Skinner is better than Sheary by a ton, but this isn't all about players and clearing cap space is part of it.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:49 am

Latest from TIOPS is Penguins are one of 3 teams in on Skinner. Islanders believed to be another one. Isles likely have the advantage with pick 11 and 12 overall available to offer. Penguins offer is said to need to include Jarry, and Rust may be another ask. Some are saying Sprong would need to go in the deal.

TIOPS claims the Penguins had Justin Faulk discussions a few days ago and then that switched to Skinner.

TIOPS claimed to teams are starting to show interest in Sheary.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins