2018 Summer Game Plan

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby penny lane on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:05 am

From Rudolph- kind of like the stumble bumble. Outdoor snow monster influrence?
Gritty fits right in with the legacy of the fly boys.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:25 am

Vegas signs Shea Theodore to a 7 year, 5.2M AAV contract. Same 5.2M salary each year, 5 team no-trade list in last 2 years.

William Nylander and Nick Ritchie are the last 2 remaining RFAs.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:09 am

Ottawa has placed Zack Smith on waivers. 30 year old LW/C, 3.25M for this season and 2 more years. 25 goals 2 years ago, but has never topped 36 points.

Interesting waiver........
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Ohio_Pens_fan on Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:51 pm

per hockeybuzz (I know, I know...):
I heard one of the trade offers (for Nylander) came from a Metro Division team and included a very strong young D-man....and THAT has to be tempting given the fact the Leafs may have enough offense already and most people do believe they are just a couple defensive pieces away from being considered a legit Cup threat...

Just spitballin', but perhaps Maatta/Dumoulin and Sprong for Nylander?
Ohio_Pens_fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Steve Dave on Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:55 pm

Ohio_Pens_fan wrote:per hockeybuzz (I know, I know...):
I heard one of the trade offers (for Nylander) came from a Metro Division team and included a very strong young D-man....and THAT has to be tempting given the fact the Leafs may have enough offense already and most people do believe they are just a couple defensive pieces away from being considered a legit Cup threat...

I wouldn’t trade Dumo but Maatta or Schultz sure.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:13 pm

Steve Dave wrote:

I think Sprong and Maatta would be fair for Nylander, and I would do that trade for the following reasons:
--Maatta's biggest weakness is always going to be his skating, and in the Penguins system, it is much more apparent.
--If Riikola continues on his current trajectory, he could make one of the Penguins defensemen expendable.
--Sprong still has yet to prove anything at the NHL level, while Nylander has.

And now, here's all the reasons why this makes little sense for either team:
--While the Leafs are in need of defense, they are more in need of RD rather than LD. They have Reilly and Gardiner on the left side, and only Zaitsev right now on the right side. So, while Maatta would be the most attractive due to his age, he doesn't fit what they need.
--Nylander is a RH RW. Babcock has continually refused to play him at center, so, I have a hard time seeing him come here and magically being able to step into the center role. I trust Babcock's judgement if he believes Nylander doesn't have the skillset to play center well in the NHL. And, the Penguins already have a glut of RW, even if they were to move Sprong. Penguins are more in need of a quality LW before another RW.
--I don't know how the Penguins would fit Nylander under the Penguins cap. Best case scenario, he gets a 2 year bridge deal for what Maatta was making, however, everything I am hearing is Nylander's agent is looking more at 5-6M on a bridge deal, and up around 7-9M on a longer term deal. Penguins can't afford Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Kessel.....plus a bigger payday for Jake, an upcoming raise for Murray, and Hornqvist.....there simply aren't enough cap dollars to go around.

Sounds nice in theory, but, Penguins and Leafs aren't really a match here.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Ohio_Pens_fan on Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:57 am

FLPensFan wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:

I think Sprong and Maatta would be fair for Nylander, and I would do that trade for the following reasons:
--Maatta's biggest weakness is always going to be his skating, and in the Penguins system, it is much more apparent.
--If Riikola continues on his current trajectory, he could make one of the Penguins defensemen expendable.

--While the Leafs are in need of defense, they are more in need of RD rather than LD. They have Reilly and Gardiner on the left side, and only Zaitsev right now on the right side. So, while Maatta would be the most attractive due to his age, he doesn't fit what they need.

--Nylander is a RH RW. Babcock has continually refused to play him at center, so, I have a hard time seeing him come here and magically being able to step into the center role. I trust Babcock's judgement if he believes Nylander doesn't have the skillset to play center well in the NHL. And, the Penguins already have a glut of RW, even if they were to move Sprong. Penguins are more in need of a quality LW before another RW.
--I don't know how the Penguins would fit Nylander under the Penguins cap. Best case scenario, he gets a 2 year bridge deal for what Maatta was making, however, everything I am hearing is Nylander's agent is looking more at 5-6M on a bridge deal, and up around 7-9M on a longer term deal. Penguins can't afford Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Kessel.....plus a bigger payday for Jake, an upcoming raise for Murray, and Hornqvist.....there simply aren't enough cap dollars to go around.

Yea, I was thinking along the lines of Nylander at center, then the salaries of Maatta and Brassard (who will definitely be getting more than the $3M, $5M actual, he's getting now) would be used to pay Nylander. Like I said, just spitballin', but thanks for the feedback.
Ohio_Pens_fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:31 am

Ohio_Pens_fan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:

Yea, I was thinking along the lines of Nylander at center, then the salaries of Maatta and Brassard (who will definitely be getting more than the $3M, $5M actual, he's getting now) would be used to pay Nylander. Like I said, just spitballin', but thanks for the feedback.

No worries, the biggest thing for the Penguins at this point......if they want to add a bigger, higher end player, a big salary is going to have to go out......unless Vegas is willing to hold onto 50% of some salary for us again. :D
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jim on Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:12 pm

FLPensFan wrote:No worries, the biggest thing for the Penguins at this point......if they want to add a bigger, higher end player, a big salary is going to have to go out......unless Vegas is willing to hold onto 50% of some salary for us again. :D

I am still open to drugging everyone in the Avalanche front office and working a Pens favorable deal for Landeskog.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:28 pm

Where the heck would the Pens fit Nylander?? Makes no sense. The Metro team I would bet on is Philly. They are overloaded with young stud defensemen right now.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Cow_Master66 on Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:41 pm

Pitts wrote:

Where the heck would the Pens fit Nylander?? Makes no sense. The Metro team I would bet on is Philly. They are overloaded with young stud defensemen right now.

Yep...Not even worth talking about.
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby LimerickPensFan on Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:43 am

Cow_Master66 wrote:
Pitts wrote:

Yep...Not even worth talking about.

New toy syndrome.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:27 pm

Looks like we will not be seeing Wilson in game 1 of the 2018-19 season. Phew!!!
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pruezy11881 on Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:33 pm

He doesn't get it...
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:11 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:Looks like we will not be seeing Wilson in game 1 of the 2018-19 season. Phew!!!

You assume he even gets one game. He would Miss all the banner raising for the Cup and can’t have that.

Mike Rupp normally has a good read on things but he’s completely wrong defending him tonight on twitter and is putting blame entirely Sundqvist entirely for getting blind sided in his head.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:47 pm

In person hearing for Wilson so I expect the 5+.

And Rupp is tripling down on the stupid tonight.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby longtimefan on Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:50 pm

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/capi ... sundqvist/

The league's Department of Player Safety announced Sunday night that Wilson was offered an in-person hearing, meaning that he'll be eligible for a suspension that exceeds five games.

NHL Player Safety

@NHLPlayerSafety

Washington’s Tom Wilson has been offered an in-person hearing for an Illegal Check to the Head on St. Louis’ Oskar Sundqvist. Date and time TBD.
8:02 PM - Sep 30, 2018
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hatrick on Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:20 pm

preseason, regular season, or postseason. Tom Wilson is a dirty scumbag
Hatrick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:40 pm

Off topic
Last edited by DelPen on Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:09 pm

Off topic
Last edited by DelPen on Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:18 pm

Off topic
Last edited by DelPen on Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:28 pm

Wilson will miss the caps banner game...karma. Plus many more.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Steve on Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:57 pm

For those keeping score, that's 4 headshots by Wilson in the last 20(ish) games for the Caps. 10-12 game suspension incoming.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hatrick on Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:13 pm

Steve wrote:For those keeping score, that's 4 headshots by Wilson in the last 20(ish) games for the Caps. 10-12 game suspension incoming.

if you count the hit in the finals it would actually be 5, 1 vs blue jackets, 2 vs pens, 1 vs vegas, and this one vs blues. would not shock me if it was only like an 8 game suspension(considering they were dumb enough to not suspend him on 3 of the prior four hits) although it should be significantly longer than that.
Hatrick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Steve on Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:25 pm

Hatrick wrote:
Steve wrote:For those keeping score, that's 4 headshots by Wilson in the last 20(ish) games for the Caps. 10-12 game suspension incoming.

if you count the hit in the finals it would actually be 5, 1 vs blue jackets, 2 vs pens, 1 vs vegas, and this one vs blues. would not shock me if it was only like an 8 game suspension(considering they were dumb enough to not suspend him on 3 of the prior four hits) although it should be significantly longer than that.

yeah i missed one tnx. The other easily predictable thing will be when wilson mentions that he's an "honest player" in his statement....
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins