2018 Summer Game Plan

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:27 am

If you have an Athletic subscription, highly recommend giving a read to Aaron Portzline's article on former Penguin Lyle Odelein. Looks like Odelein married a Pittsburgh girl, maintains a home in Pittsburgh, and.....went through a horrifying experience where he nearly died and had an unprecedented triple organ transplant in one surgery:

https://theathletic.com/564335/2018/10/04/at-deaths-door-former-nhl-star-lyle-odelein-a-medical-miracle-after-surviving-a-coma-triple-transplant-and-paralysis/
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby longtimefan on Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:08 am

FLPensFan wrote:If you have an Athletic subscription, highly recommend giving a read to Aaron Portzline's article on former Penguin Lyle Odelein. Looks like Odelein married a Pittsburgh girl, maintains a home in Pittsburgh, and.....went through a horrifying experience where he nearly died and had an unprecedented triple organ transplant in one surgery:

https://theathletic.com/564335/2018/10/04/at-deaths-door-former-nhl-star-lyle-odelein-a-medical-miracle-after-surviving-a-coma-triple-transplant-and-paralysis/

Wow. Great read. It's very scary that it was either a cactus or a routine cleaning of his teeths. Thoughts and prayers to him and his family. Pretty amazing story.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:59 am

penny lane wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote:
flame wrote:20 games for ol tommy boy

:thumb: More games than I thought they'd give him. Still probably won't learn his lesson though.

Well, maybe the NHL has changed. Shocked! :shock:

Its easy to try and justify this suspension, its just a little to late in my book. This suspension doesn't help his last 3 victims. The suspensions need to be more severe even for first time offenders so we don't see them. The carelessness of Wilson to just go out there and lay people out at will has to stop.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:17 pm

There are some cases where a head shot is completely unavoidable and I don’t condone penalties or suspensions for honest mistakes. I think with HD slow motion multiple angle video and context of the situation you can determine that.

But when a player who hits someone else in the head with no other outside circumstance besides either their sloppy play or actually intentional you have to start with 5 games minimum. Next time it’s 10, then 20, then 40 then a full season. At some point that player will either learn or be out of pro hockey in North America.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Daniel on Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:32 pm

no name wrote:
penny lane wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote:
flame wrote:20 games for ol tommy boy

:thumb: More games than I thought they'd give him. Still probably won't learn his lesson though.

Well, maybe the NHL has changed. Shocked! :shock:

Its easy to try and justify this suspension, its just a little to late in my book. This suspension doesn't help his last 3 victims. The suspensions need to be more severe even for first time offenders so we don't see them. The carelessness of Wilson to just go out there and lay people out at will has to stop.

They seem to be following the Raffi Torres, a few suspension than a 21 game one for him. I am hoping the next time Wilson does this (and he will do it again) that he gets the 41 games that Torres got. After that, he was out of the league.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins