2018 Summer Game Plan

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:35 am

According to Dan Kingerski, Penguins are shocked they didn't land Domi. They reportedly offered Coyotes pick of Rust, Sheary, or Simon (assuming something else too), and were confident in their offer.

LeBrun and/or Friedman had mentioned Montreal and Pittsburgh as the interested parties a few weeks back.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby KG on Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:44 am

FLPensFan wrote:According to Dan Kingerski, Penguins are shocked they didn't land Domi. They reportedly offered Coyotes pick of Rust, Sheary, or Simon (assuming something else too), and were confident in their offer.

LeBrun and/or Friedman had mentioned Montreal and Pittsburgh as the interested parties a few weeks back.

Montreal’s deal was much better then what the pens offered. Overpaid in my opinion. On to the next one...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:22 am

KG wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:According to Dan Kingerski, Penguins are shocked they didn't land Domi. They reportedly offered Coyotes pick of Rust, Sheary, or Simon (assuming something else too), and were confident in their offer.

Montreal’s deal was much better then what the pens offered. Overpaid in my opinion. On to the next one...

I agree it was a better deal and an overpayment. I think most Montreal fans agree too.

I believe Rust straight up, or Sheary and Simon were the deals on the table.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:54 am

One unreliable source said the Coyotes wanted Guentzel, and Arizona would have included something else in the deal besides Domi. Penguins wouldn't move Guentzel, Montreal offered Galchenyuk and Arizona immediately accepted.

Again, unreliable source, but if that is made up, they did a good job making it up, as I could see that happening.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:43 am

I'm starting to feel like the Penguins could offer Sheary and Simon to Montreal for Pacioretty, and Bergevin would accept that trade.......
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ville5 on Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:47 am

Why would the Pens be shocked? Galchenyuk is younger than any of those 3 and his p/pg are better over a much larger sample size. 418 games for Galchenyuk(.61), to 184 Sheary(.51), 181 Rust(.44).
Domi has 222 gp and .61 p/pg.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ville5 on Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:51 am

KG wrote:

This deal is pretty close. Domi has the same identical points per game but is a year and 112 days younger. Skill alone, Galchenyuk is the better commodity. But his compete level has been questioned on many occasions. Maybe a move away from the Montreal fishbowl helps him realize that skill.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:52 am

ville5 wrote:Why would the Pens be shocked? Galchenyuk is younger than any of those 3 and his p/pg are better over a much larger sample size. 418 games for Galchenyuk(.61), to 184 Sheary(.51), 181 Rust(.44).
Domi has 222 gp and .61 p/pg.

Maybe it was one of those situations where they were close to submitting a deal, and Montreal came in at the last minute with Galchenyuk. Maybe they were just absolutely shocked in general that Marc Bergevin was actually dumb enough to do Domi for Galchenyuk straight up.

The deal heavily favors Arizona. H-E-A-V-I-L-Y!!!!
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby IntangibleBeer on Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:55 am

Jim wrote:
Hatrick wrote:just cause sheary is way overpaid doesn't mean rust should be, personally I see rust around 2.5m give or take a couple hundred k

Agree. People comment on how bad a contract is... then use it as an example of why player B should get more. Player B shouldn't get more... Player A is just overpaid.

I'm not going to pay $3 for an apple somewhere just because Whole Foods has them for $2.

Bad example, Jim.

Whole Foods would want to charge you $20 for that apple. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:57 am

FLPensFan wrote:One unreliable source said the Coyotes wanted Guentzel, and Arizona would have included something else in the deal besides Domi. Penguins wouldn't move Guentzel, Montreal offered Galchenyuk and Arizona immediately accepted.

Again, unreliable source, but if that is made up, they did a good job making it up, as I could see that happening.

Absolutely wouldn't want to deal Guentzel for Domi.

Arizona got taken to the cleaners.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:03 am

IntangibleBeer wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:One unreliable source said the Coyotes wanted Guentzel, and Arizona would have included something else in the deal besides Domi. Penguins wouldn't move Guentzel, Montreal offered Galchenyuk and Arizona immediately accepted.

At least the rumor was Domi PLUS for Guentzel. Montreal should have gotten Domi PLUS for Galchenyuk. How does Bergevin still have a job? Rumor is he isn't done. Waiting to see him trade #3 pick overall for 2 7th round picks. :face:
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ville5 on Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:10 am

IntangibleBeer wrote:

First 3 years:
Galchenyuk- 104 points in 193 games.
Domi- 135 points in 222 games.
Without a doubt Galchenyuk has more skill and is the better goal scorer. But Domi's compete level had never been questioned and gets the most out of what he has. They are both career .61 points per game, but Domi is over a year younger.
I think this is a trade similar to Neal for Hornqvist as far as Montreal is concerned. It's more even than people think.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pruezy11881 on Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:06 pm

And Domi gets a 2 year extension @ $3.15 mil AAV.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ville5 on Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:12 pm

Also, some feel Bergevin should've gotten more. But how tied were his hands? There's the rumored mandate that he rebuild. Has a timeframe been imposed? Did other GMs lowball him knowing he has to "dump" players?
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby steelershark on Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:49 pm

Does anyone know how Adam Johnson played in WBS? he was considered a good prospect coming out of college. Can he play a 4th line center in the NHL? Move Brassard to LW2, Sheehan to 3C and Johnson to 4C. LInes could be: Guetz- Sid- Horny
Brassard-Geno- Sprong
Rust-Sheehan-Phil
ZAR-Johnson-?
steelershark
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hatrick on Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:25 pm

FLPensFan wrote:I'm starting to feel like the Penguins could offer Sheary and Simon to Montreal for Pacioretty, and Bergevin would accept that trade.......

better take advantage of the situation and make it sheary and hunwick for pacioretty and 3rd overall
Hatrick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hatrick on Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:32 pm

steelershark wrote:Does anyone know how Adam Johnson played in WBS? he was considered a good prospect coming out of college. Can he play a 4th line center in the NHL? Move Brassard to LW2, Sheehan to 3C and Johnson to 4C. LInes could be: Guetz- Sid- Horny
Brassard-Geno- Sprong
Rust-Sheehan-Phil
ZAR-Johnson-?

guessing in that lineup you are already dealing away hagelin and sheary? and already flipped rust from rw to lw
Hatrick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:35 pm

steelershark wrote:Does anyone know how Adam Johnson played in WBS? he was considered a good prospect coming out of college. Can he play a 4th line center in the NHL? Move Brassard to LW2, Sheehan to 3C and Johnson to 4C. LInes could be: Guetz- Sid- Horny
Brassard-Geno- Sprong
Rust-Sheehan-Phil
ZAR-Johnson-?

I think Johnson likely needs another year in WBS. I think Blueger and Dea would likely be ahead of him in line for the 4C spot, if the Penguins decided to move Brassard to wing.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:46 pm

ville5 wrote:
IntangibleBeer wrote:

First 3 years:
Galchenyuk- 104 points in 193 games.
Domi- 135 points in 222 games.
Without a doubt Galchenyuk has more skill and is the better goal scorer. But Domi's compete level had never been questioned and gets the most out of what he has. They are both career .61 points per game, but Domi is over a year younger.
I think this is a trade similar to Neal for Hornqvist as far as Montreal is concerned. It's more even than people think.

Galchenyuk has much more goal scoring and playmaking ability. Galchenyuk did well, production wise, when he was at center with Montreal, however, Montreal felt he didn't do enough "other things" to be worthy of playing center. Arizona plans on playing him at center.

Domi, while I think in the right situation can be a low end 20 goal scorer, he is known more as a pass first type of player.

Rumored deals, per Kingerski, were Rust or Sheary, with Simon thrown in with either one.

Kingerski pondered what if the Penguins did get Domi......would he go with Crosby, would he become the 3C and they move Brassard? We shall never know.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thehockeyguru on Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:53 pm

ville5 wrote:Also, some feel Bergevin should've gotten more. But how tied were his hands? There's the rumored mandate that he rebuild. Has a timeframe been imposed? Did other GMs lowball him knowing he has to "dump" players?

Yeah its better to make no deal than a bad deal. Bergevin made a bad deal here and I cant believe he still has a job.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:38 pm

If I were Rutherford, after losing out on Domi, I would be reaching out to Dallas and attempt to acquire the rights to Valeri Nichushkin. Nichushkin's deal with CSKA expires July 1st, and there are already reports that he is going to come back to the NHL, and will sign 2-year deal with Dallas on July 1st.

Nichushkin is 6'4 and turns 24 in March. He was often compared to Malkin during his draft year. He isn't a big hitter, but he has that aggressive "bull in a china shop" type of effort that he will give, playing more of a power forward type role than anyone we have on the roster today.

Dallas has Seguin, Benn, Spezza, Faksa, Hanzal, Radulov, Ritchie and Pitlick under contract for next season. 8 forwards. Roussel, Shore, Janmark, Gemel Smith are all RFAs (Roussel is UFA). I could see them not bringing back Roussel. I would think they would want to keep the other 3, putting them at 11 forwards. They have Jason Dickinson who likely needs a regular NHL role this year. All that is without adding Nichuskin.

I would offer a prospect a bit further away from competing, like a Lauzon and a pick. I doubt they would want a Sheary or Rust if they are already somewhat full up front.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thehockeyguru on Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:51 pm

FLPensFan wrote:If I were Rutherford, after losing out on Domi, I would be reaching out to Dallas and attempt to acquire the rights to Valeri Nichushkin. Nichushkin's deal with CSKA expires July 1st, and there are already reports that he is going to come back to the NHL, and will sign 2-year deal with Dallas on July 1st.

Nichushkin is 6'4 and turns 24 in March. He was often compared to Malkin during his draft year. He isn't a big hitter, but he has that aggressive "bull in a china shop" type of effort that he will give, playing more of a power forward type role than anyone we have on the roster today.

Dallas has Seguin, Benn, Spezza, Faksa, Hanzal, Radulov, Ritchie and Pitlick under contract for next season. 8 forwards. Roussel, Shore, Janmark, Gemel Smith are all RFAs (Roussel is UFA). I could see them not bringing back Roussel. I would think they would want to keep the other 3, putting them at 11 forwards. They have Jason Dickinson who likely needs a regular NHL role this year. All that is without adding Nichuskin.

I would offer a prospect a bit further away from competing, like a Lauzon and a pick. I doubt they would want a Sheary or Rust if they are already somewhat full up front.

I would want Nichushkin but I'm not sure Dallas would have interest in trading him.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby brwi on Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:54 pm

ville5 wrote:Montreal’s deal was much better then what the pens offered. Overpaid in my opinion. On to the next one...

This deal is pretty close. Domi has the same identical points per game but is a year and 112 days younger. Skill alone, Galchenyuk is the better commodity. But his compete level has been questioned on many occasions. Maybe a move away from the Montreal fishbowl helps him realize that skill.[/quote]

Your exactly right that Galchenyuk's work ethic has repeatedly been questioned, as has his heart. He can definitely disappear on the ice for games at a time. Skill-wise, he's got more upside than Domi, but this is basically a swap of two underachievers that needed a change of scenery. I think AZ won the deal, but not by a huge margin.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby steelershark on Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:14 pm

Hatrick wrote:
Brassard-Geno- Sprong
Rust-Sheehan-Phil
ZAR-Johnson-?

guessing in that lineup you are already dealing away hagelin and sheary? and already flipped rust from rw to lw

Yes Hagelin and Rust are similar players, but Rust would be less expensive, with the ability to play both sides. To me, its either Sheary or Guetz, and I would go with Guetz.
steelershark
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hatrick on Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:19 pm

steelershark wrote:
Hatrick wrote:
Brassard-Geno- Sprong
Rust-Sheehan-Phil
ZAR-Johnson-?

Yes Hagelin and Rust are similar players, but Rust would be less expensive, with the ability to play both sides. To me, its either Sheary or Guetz, and I would go with Guetz.

to me sheary vs guentzel is not a debate at all, guentzel is the lw next to sid starting the season unquestionably. sheary if he isn't traded I would put on 3rd line. Hagelin I could see as anywhere from 2nd to 4th line LW if he is still here, in my opinion ideally we could keep him but last year of contract and high cap hit means he could be a trade chip as well. However even if you trade those two I am leaving rust on RW unless something else changes since I feel he is more effective on that side even though he could play LW as well. So I would switch the question marks with rust if sheary and hagelin are both traded without knowing the return.
Hatrick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins