2018 Summer Game Plan

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby farnham16 on Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:02 am

Hunwick dumped to some team for a late round pick.

Rust or Sprong, Sheary, 2nd round pick for Skinner.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,975
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: Trying to get to my game

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:11 am

farnham16 wrote:Hunwick dumped to some team for a late round pick.

Rust or Sprong, Sheary, 2nd round pick for Skinner.


There is zero reason to trade Sprong.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,167
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby Pens4Life on Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:11 am

NO WAY we should trade RUST! Rusty is 100% keeper
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,131
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:02 pm
Location: Slovenia

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby farnham16 on Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:16 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
farnham16 wrote:Hunwick dumped to some team for a late round pick.

Rust or Sprong, Sheary, 2nd round pick for Skinner.


There is zero reason to trade Sprong.


Yeah I tend to agree with you. Though I think if a Skinner trade happens you may have to include him. I probably wouldn't do it.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,975
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: Trying to get to my game

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:38 am

farnham16 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
farnham16 wrote:Hunwick dumped to some team for a late round pick.

Rust or Sprong, Sheary, 2nd round pick for Skinner.


There is zero reason to trade Sprong.


Yeah I tend to agree with you. Though I think if a Skinner trade happens you may have to include him. I probably wouldn't do it.


Here's the thing though, Sprong is gonna get an entire NHL season this year. You put him with Brassard and lets say he scores 15-20 goals. He is going to make under 1M, to me I'd MUCH rather have Sprong scoring 15-20 goals at under 1M than Skinner scoring 30 goals at 5.725M

Plus look at how the top 9 is configured right now:

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
Hagelin - Malkin - Kessel
Sheary - Brassard Sprong
ZAR - Sheahan - Rust

This lineup needs a bit more size. The move has to be Sheary for a LW with a bit more grit and defensive ability. ZAR could fill that role eventually but not right now. Best case scenario if Hagelin wont resign at a discount you have ZAR plug his role.


I would look to Detroit and see if there can be a deal made for Athanasiou involving Sheary.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,167
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:43 am

Would you give Neal 6 years @ 6 million a year? That is what he wants. I would do it.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,704
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:00 am

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:47 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:Would you give Neal 6 years @ 6 million a year? That is what he wants. I would do it.


NO WAY!. If I'm giving a LW a 6 year 6M deal its JVR.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,167
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby 100565 on Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:52 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
farnham16 wrote:Hunwick dumped to some team for a late round pick.

Rust or Sprong, Sheary, 2nd round pick for Skinner.


There is zero reason to trade Sprong.


Yeah I tend to agree with you. Though I think if a Skinner trade happens you may have to include him. I probably wouldn't do it.


Here's the thing though, Sprong is gonna get an entire NHL season this year. You put him with Brassard and lets say he scores 15-20 goals. He is going to make under 1M, to me I'd MUCH rather have Sprong scoring 15-20 goals at under 1M than Skinner scoring 30 goals at 5.725M

Plus look at how the top 9 is configured right now:

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
Hagelin - Malkin - Kessel
Sheary - Brassard Sprong
ZAR - Sheahan - Rust

This lineup needs a bit more size. The move has to be Sheary for a LW with a bit more grit and defensive ability. ZAR could fill that role eventually but not right now. Best case scenario if Hagelin wont resign at a discount you have ZAR plug his role.


I would look to Detroit and see if there can be a deal made for Athanasiou involving Sheary.


How about Zemgus Girgensons? Sheary for Girgensons.
100565
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:04 pm

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby Owchar76 on Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:20 pm

100565 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
farnham16 wrote:Hunwick dumped to some team for a late round pick.

Rust or Sprong, Sheary, 2nd round pick for Skinner.


There is zero reason to trade Sprong.


Yeah I tend to agree with you. Though I think if a Skinner trade happens you may have to include him. I probably wouldn't do it.


Here's the thing though, Sprong is gonna get an entire NHL season this year. You put him with Brassard and lets say he scores 15-20 goals. He is going to make under 1M, to me I'd MUCH rather have Sprong scoring 15-20 goals at under 1M than Skinner scoring 30 goals at 5.725M

Plus look at how the top 9 is configured right now:

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
Hagelin - Malkin - Kessel
Sheary - Brassard Sprong
ZAR - Sheahan - Rust

This lineup needs a bit more size. The move has to be Sheary for a LW with a bit more grit and defensive ability. ZAR could fill that role eventually but not right now. Best case scenario if Hagelin wont resign at a discount you have ZAR plug his role.


I would look to Detroit and see if there can be a deal made for Athanasiou involving Sheary.


How about Zemgus Girgensons? Sheary for Girgensons.


Why would you want this? Just curious.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 978
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:03 pm

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby Steve Dave on Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:27 pm

I would think because he is a younger, physical LW with size that can play a defensive role and also pot some goals while half the cost of Sheary.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,722
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:09 am

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby 100565 on Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:33 pm

Owchar76 wrote:
Why would you want this? Just curious.


I have always liked Zemgus, and think he was mishandled by Buffalo. I think he adds a bit more size and physical presence while being able to skate and play sound defense. He would be good as 3rd,4th line LW, but could play up if needed due to injury. He would get 10-15 goals. I think of him kinda like Rust, but LW. Cheaper, too. ALso, he can play 4C if needed due to injury as well.

I like Sheary, but he is not the best fit for 3rd/4th line LW. Not on the Penguins.
100565
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:04 pm

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby 100565 on Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:37 pm

Would anyone do Brassard for Faksa? I think Dallas would benefit from a more offensively-skilled center, and I think Faksa would be perfect 3C for Penguins. Plus, Dallas has a couple guys like Faksa, but not quite as good.

Who adds? Why?
100565
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:04 pm

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:44 pm

100565 wrote:Would anyone do Brassard for Faksa? I think Dallas would benefit from a more offensively-skilled center, and I think Faksa would be perfect 3C for Penguins. Plus, Dallas has a couple guys like Faksa, but not quite as good.

Who adds? Why?


I'd be all over Faksa. I am not sure Dallas does the deal though, I think the Pens would need to add a bit.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,167
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby Owchar76 on Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:47 pm

100565 wrote:
Owchar76 wrote:
Why would you want this? Just curious.


I have always liked Zemgus, and think he was mishandled by Buffalo. I think he adds a bit more size and physical presence while being able to skate and play sound defense. He would be good as 3rd,4th line LW, but could play up if needed due to injury. He would get 10-15 goals. I think of him kinda like Rust, but LW. Cheaper, too. ALso, he can play 4C if needed due to injury as well.

I like Sheary, but he is not the best fit for 3rd/4th line LW. Not on the Penguins.


Makes sense. Not so sure I agree with your goal assessment, but his versatility is useful. I don't don't expect a guy to double his goal output just because he's with a different team. He has 7 goals in each of the last 3 years which is pretty sad, and that's probably the area he stays around. He is a decent possession player however.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 978
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:03 pm

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:55 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
100565 wrote:Would anyone do Brassard for Faksa? I think Dallas would benefit from a more offensively-skilled center, and I think Faksa would be perfect 3C for Penguins. Plus, Dallas has a couple guys like Faksa, but not quite as good.

Who adds? Why?


I'd be all over Faksa. I am not sure Dallas does the deal though, I think the Pens would need to add a bit.

Yeah, I don't think Dallas is giving up Faksa, and almost certainly not for another center. Seguin, Spezza, Hanzal, Faksa, Shore, and Janmark are all true centers. They also have Jason Dickinson in the minors who would be a good 4C for them.

I'd be all over trying to get Faksa or Nichushkin from Dallas, but I don't think they are willing to give either of them up.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,979
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:59 pm

Jeff Skinner has a NMC, and STL beat reporter is claiming that Skinner turned down several potential trades. I know STL was interested, but no teams were mentioned on deals he potentially shot down.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,979
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:05 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
100565 wrote:Would anyone do Brassard for Faksa? I think Dallas would benefit from a more offensively-skilled center, and I think Faksa would be perfect 3C for Penguins. Plus, Dallas has a couple guys like Faksa, but not quite as good.

Who adds? Why?


I'd be all over Faksa. I am not sure Dallas does the deal though, I think the Pens would need to add a bit.

Yeah, I don't think Dallas is giving up Faksa, and almost certainly not for another center. Seguin, Spezza, Hanzal, Faksa, Shore, and Janmark are all true centers. They also have Jason Dickinson in the minors who would be a good 4C for them.

I'd be all over trying to get Faksa or Nichushkin from Dallas, but I don't think they are willing to give either of them up.


Isn't Dallas on the list of 5 teams that Taveras is going to hear pitches from?
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,167
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby 100565 on Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:06 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
100565 wrote:Would anyone do Brassard for Faksa? I think Dallas would benefit from a more offensively-skilled center, and I think Faksa would be perfect 3C for Penguins. Plus, Dallas has a couple guys like Faksa, but not quite as good.

Who adds? Why?


I'd be all over Faksa. I am not sure Dallas does the deal though, I think the Pens would need to add a bit.

Yeah, I don't think Dallas is giving up Faksa, and almost certainly not for another center. Seguin, Spezza, Hanzal, Faksa, Shore, and Janmark are all true centers. They also have Jason Dickinson in the minors who would be a good 4C for them.

I'd be all over trying to get Faksa or Nichushkin from Dallas, but I don't think they are willing to give either of them up.


Probably correct, but Spezza and Hanzal offensive ability is a question. I think Brassard has better offense than everyone not names Seguin. I am thinking Seguin, Brassard, Hanzal, Spezza. Then, when Hanzal gets injured move Shore back to 4C.
100565
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:04 pm

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby Daniel on Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:13 pm

Owchar76 wrote:
100565 wrote:
Owchar76 wrote:
Why would you want this? Just curious.


I have always liked Zemgus, and think he was mishandled by Buffalo. I think he adds a bit more size and physical presence while being able to skate and play sound defense. He would be good as 3rd,4th line LW, but could play up if needed due to injury. He would get 10-15 goals. I think of him kinda like Rust, but LW. Cheaper, too. ALso, he can play 4C if needed due to injury as well.

I like Sheary, but he is not the best fit for 3rd/4th line LW. Not on the Penguins.


Makes sense. Not so sure I agree with your goal assessment, but his versatility is useful. I don't don't expect a guy to double his goal output just because he's with a different team. He has 7 goals in each of the last 3 years which is pretty sad, and that's probably the area he stays around. He is a decent possession player however.


I think if you look at his ice time and the fact that Buffalo can't score and you'll see why he scored 7 goals the last 3 years. Before that, he had 19 minutes per game and scored 15 goals, which was 2nd on the team. This year he was 8th, which was 11 goals for the Pens. Not saying he will be a 20 goal scorer, but a 3rd line LW and at 24, it might be a good risk.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,131
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:10 pm
Location: Fort Worth

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby Owchar76 on Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:25 pm

Daniel wrote:
Owchar76 wrote:
100565 wrote:
Owchar76 wrote:
Why would you want this? Just curious.


I have always liked Zemgus, and think he was mishandled by Buffalo. I think he adds a bit more size and physical presence while being able to skate and play sound defense. He would be good as 3rd,4th line LW, but could play up if needed due to injury. He would get 10-15 goals. I think of him kinda like Rust, but LW. Cheaper, too. ALso, he can play 4C if needed due to injury as well.

I like Sheary, but he is not the best fit for 3rd/4th line LW. Not on the Penguins.


Makes sense. Not so sure I agree with your goal assessment, but his versatility is useful. I don't don't expect a guy to double his goal output just because he's with a different team. He has 7 goals in each of the last 3 years which is pretty sad, and that's probably the area he stays around. He is a decent possession player however.


I think if you look at his ice time and the fact that Buffalo can't score and you'll see why he scored 7 goals the last 3 years. Before that, he had 19 minutes per game and scored 15 goals, which was 2nd on the team. This year he was 8th, which was 11 goals for the Pens. Not saying he will be a 20 goal scorer, but a 3rd line LW and at 24, it might be a good risk.


When he scored 15 goals he had a shooting % of 13%. That's in the same territory of Benn and McDavid. His following 3 seasons? 7%, 6.4%, 6.3%. I'd say this is more the norm.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 978
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:03 pm

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby ville5 on Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:27 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Jeff Skinner has a NMC, and STL beat reporter is claiming that Skinner turned down several potential trades. I know STL was interested, but no teams were mentioned on deals he potentially shot down.

Conversely, the Canes' beat writer, Luke Decock, tweeted that as of 2:15 Sunday the Canes haven't submitted a trade offer to Skinner for approval.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,933
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:17 pm
Location: getting body slammed by kelly kelly

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby Jim on Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:36 pm

ville5 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Jeff Skinner has a NMC, and STL beat reporter is claiming that Skinner turned down several potential trades. I know STL was interested, but no teams were mentioned on deals he potentially shot down.

Conversely, the Canes' beat writer, Luke Decock, tweeted that as of 2:15 Sunday the Canes haven't submitted a trade offer to Skinner for approval.


Ha!
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,597
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby Daniel on Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:37 pm

Owchar76 wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Owchar76 wrote:
100565 wrote:
Owchar76 wrote:
Why would you want this? Just curious.


I have always liked Zemgus, and think he was mishandled by Buffalo. I think he adds a bit more size and physical presence while being able to skate and play sound defense. He would be good as 3rd,4th line LW, but could play up if needed due to injury. He would get 10-15 goals. I think of him kinda like Rust, but LW. Cheaper, too. ALso, he can play 4C if needed due to injury as well.

I like Sheary, but he is not the best fit for 3rd/4th line LW. Not on the Penguins.


Makes sense. Not so sure I agree with your goal assessment, but his versatility is useful. I don't don't expect a guy to double his goal output just because he's with a different team. He has 7 goals in each of the last 3 years which is pretty sad, and that's probably the area he stays around. He is a decent possession player however.


I think if you look at his ice time and the fact that Buffalo can't score and you'll see why he scored 7 goals the last 3 years. Before that, he had 19 minutes per game and scored 15 goals, which was 2nd on the team. This year he was 8th, which was 11 goals for the Pens. Not saying he will be a 20 goal scorer, but a 3rd line LW and at 24, it might be a good risk.


When he scored 15 goals he had a shooting % of 13%. That's in the same territory of Benn and McDavid. His following 3 seasons? 7%, 6.4%, 6.3%. I'd say this is more the norm.


Maybe the answer is something in the middle, who knows. I'd say 13 minutes a game with lousy linemates and no in a position to succeed is probably the reason. How many of shots were high quality and how many were low quality because his linemates couldn't do anything to create a good scoring chance?

I honestly don't know if he'd be a good fit, but the Pens don't really need scoring and Sheary is expendable. You cut the salary in half and gain $1.6M in cap space. If Girgensons sucks, you let him go after next season (he's an RFA).
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,131
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:10 pm
Location: Fort Worth

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby Jim on Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:39 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:Would you give Neal 6 years @ 6 million a year? That is what he wants. I would do it.


NO WAY!. If I'm giving a LW a 6 year 6M deal its JVR.


Agree. I would much rather have JVR over Neal.

Frankly, Neal was unprotected by Nashville because he was not worth his current contract. He did nothing in Vegas to counter that. He should not get a raise, and certainly not a raise with a lot of term.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,597
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby Pens4Life on Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:54 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:Would you give Neal 6 years @ 6 million a year? That is what he wants. I would do it.


hell nooo.. much rather find more complete player for that money for LW and maybe younger
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,131
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:02 pm
Location: Slovenia

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BurghThing, Crashguy66, Daniel, E-Ramone, FLPensFan, Humperdink, jack6615, KG, pronovost19, Puck-Lurker and 39 guests


e-mail