2018 Summer Game Plan

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby KG on Sat May 19, 2018 10:10 am

I could see JR wanting to shake it up. Moving Letang would certainly do that.

After reading that Carolina is looking to shake things up maybe there’s a match.

Staal fits. Brassard may not fit here. But his cap hit is a real asset.

Would a Letang, Brassard for Skinner and Staal type of blockbuster make sense for either/or?

Skinner reminds me of Guentzel. He would fit in well here.

Just have to work on that d depth if you move Letang!
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Sat May 19, 2018 11:20 am

KG wrote:I could see JR wanting to shake it up. Moving Letang would certainly do that.

After reading that Carolina is looking to shake things up maybe there’s a match.

Would a Letang, Brassard for Skinner and Staal type of blockbuster make sense for either/or?

I'm not a big fan of Staal as a 3C for 6M per. Also toss in that he was part of the attempted coup to remove Crosby as Captain. I cant imagine that sits well with either Crosby or Malkin who was also vocal against it.

That being said, I could definitely behind a Brassard and Sheary for Skinner and Trevor Van Riemsdyk swap. Both Brassard and Skinner have 1 year left on their deals.

Skinner gives us depth at LW behind Guentzel which we desparately need and TVR gives us a reliable RHD that is positionally sound for the bottom pairing. In Brassard the Canes get a legit top 6 center, a position they desperately need. Suddenly spending 9M combined on Staal and Brassard doesn't seem that bad even if its only for 1 season. Add in Victor Rask and the Canes are pretty decent down the middle.

This then allows the Pens flexibility in what they can obtain for Letang. They would then just need the cap space to sign Carlson.

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
Hagelin - Malkin - Kessel
Skinner - Sheahan - Sprong
ZAR/Kuhnhackl / UFA / Rust

Dumoulin - Carlson
Oleksiak - Schultz
Maatta - TVR

That is a very solid line up if the Pens can then find a 4C who can put up Cullen type points. They will have the pieces in Letang and Hunwick to do it as well as recoup some picks / prospects.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby stonewizard51 on Sat May 19, 2018 12:04 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
KG wrote:I could see JR wanting to shake it up. Moving Letang would certainly do that.

I'm not a big fan of Staal as a 3C for 6M per. Also toss in that he was part of the attempted coup to remove Crosby as Captain. I cant imagine that sits well with either Crosby or Malkin who was also vocal against it.

That being said, I could definitely behind a Brassard and Sheary for Skinner and Trevor Van Riemsdyk swap. Both Brassard and Skinner have 1 year left on their deals.

Skinner gives us depth at LW behind Guentzel which we desparately need and TVR gives us a reliable RHD that is positionally sound for the bottom pairing. In Brassard the Canes get a legit top 6 center, a position they desperately need. Suddenly spending 9M combined on Staal and Brassard doesn't seem that bad even if its only for 1 season. Add in Victor Rask and the Canes are pretty decent down the middle.

This then allows the Pens flexibility in what they can obtain for Letang. They would then just need the cap space to sign Carlson.

Dumoulin - Carlson
Oleksiak - Schultz
Maatta - TVR

That is a very solid line up if the Pens can then find a 4C who can put up Cullen type points. They will have the pieces in Letang and Hunwick to do it as well as recoup some picks / prospects.

Exactly. I don't want Staal in this line up again.
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Sat May 19, 2018 1:06 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:

Dumoulin - Carlson
Oleksiak - Schultz
Maatta - TVR

You trade Brassard and you are one injury away from Sheahan playing in the top six. I think tradin
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Sat May 19, 2018 1:06 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:

Dumoulin - Carlson
Oleksiak - Schultz
Maatta - TVR

You trade Brassard and you are one injury away from Sheahan playing in the top six. I think trading Letang and Sheary gives you enough space to upgrade the defense and find another LW in free agency.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby OKpensfan247 on Sat May 19, 2018 1:18 pm

I don't know if moving Letang or Kessel isthe smartest idea yet... But regarding Kessel... Maybe Tocchet would make a push for Kessel... And maybe Kessel would allow Arizona on his approved trade list due to his respect of Tocchet.

Just spitballing... Starting to have Pens hockey withdrawal now that it's been a couple weeks without Pens hockey.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Sat May 19, 2018 2:31 pm

pens_CT wrote:You trade Brassard and you are one injury away from Sheahan playing in the top six. I think trading Letang and Sheary gives you enough space to upgrade the defense and find another LW in free agency.

One player the Pens have always been linked to that is a UFA is Tyler Bozak. If the Pens move Brassard, maybe Bozak is a 3C option with Sheahan moving to 4C?
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Sat May 19, 2018 3:22 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
pens_CT wrote:You trade Brassard and you are one injury away from Sheahan playing in the top six. I think trading Letang and Sheary gives you enough space to upgrade the defense and find another LW in free agency.

One player the Pens have always been linked to that is a UFA is Tyler Bozak. If the Pens move Brassard, maybe Bozak is a 3C option with Sheahan moving to 4C?

I don't see the Penguins moving Brassard. The Penguins will not find another 3C with the skill level of Brassard for only 3M next season. They will chalk up his poor play to adjustment period and his injury, and give him another chance.

Only way I see Brassard being moved is in a multiple player deal with a 3C and some other piece coming back.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Steve Dave on Sat May 19, 2018 4:42 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:

Or move Brassard to wing.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sat May 19, 2018 6:19 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

I don't see the Penguins moving Brassard. The Penguins will not find another 3C with the skill level of Brassard for only 3M next season. They will chalk up his poor play to adjustment period and his injury, and give him another chance.

Only way I see Brassard being moved is in a multiple player deal with a 3C and some other piece coming back.

I am still waiting to see what "skill level" Brassard possesses.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dark_forces on Sat May 19, 2018 8:18 pm

Who is the most likely penguin to be gone from the roster come training camp?
dark_forces
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby dark_forces on Sat May 19, 2018 8:46 pm

Who is the most likely penguin to be gone from the roster come training camp?
dark_forces
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens_CT on Sat May 19, 2018 8:58 pm

dark_forces wrote:Who is the most likely penguin to be gone from the roster come training camp?

Sheary or Sherry take your pick.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ville5 on Sat May 19, 2018 9:30 pm

pens_CT wrote:
dark_forces wrote:Who is the most likely penguin to be gone from the roster come training camp?

Sheary or Sherry take your pick.

I hope so. Brings nothing outside of scoring. And I'm sick and tired of watching him fall down like a baby giraffe.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pens4Life on Sun May 20, 2018 2:18 am

I really doubt DB is traded, he is worth a gamble for one more season with 3M cap hit..

Letang, Hagelin, Hunwick, Sheary -- there is few players to shake things down..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jreed on Sun May 20, 2018 6:05 am

Pens4Life wrote:I really doubt DB is traded, he is worth a gamble for one more season with 3M cap hit..

Letang, Hagelin, Hunwick, Sheary -- there is few players to shake things down..

I’m guessing 3 of those 4 will be gone. Letang will be the interesting one to watch.
jreed
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Inkio on Sun May 20, 2018 11:03 am

thehockeyguru wrote:

How did I miss this coup thing with Staal when he was here. What exactly happened?

Also, from the way MR was talking about Brassard after the series I don’t think he’s being moved. Definitely not until they see him play the first half of the season. He was injured late in the season and never fully recovered. I think they want to see how he plays with the team while healthy.
Inkio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkintent on Sun May 20, 2018 12:17 pm

When Crosby was out with the concussion/neck meat, it was rumored a group of players were pushing to have him stripped of the C. Apparently this group consisted of Orpik, Adams, Neal and Staal.

I wonder how true that is since I had always heard Staal was good friends with the guys. Weren't Crosby and others at Staal's wedding when they found out he was traded?
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Postby Malkintent on Sun May 20, 2018 12:27 pm

I'm not too sure what players are available but I'd like to see either Hagelin or Sheary and Hunwick moved for a bottom pairing LD to pair with Oleksiak. I'd prefer moving Sheary over Hagelin but Hags is older, more expensive and has been getting hurt alot over the past few seasons. Sheary might be easier to move so let's hope. Then make a strong run at JVR. I've wanted him for awhile. I think he'd be a good fit with Malkin who hasn't had a steady linemate since Neal. I know he's going to get paid but it'd be a shame to pay over $7M for Hagelin and Sheary when they could get a legit top six left winger like JVR and a cheap plug to take up Sheary's spot in the bottom six. Start the season with:

Guentzel Crosby Hornqvist
JVR Malkin Rust
Hagelin Brassard Kessel
Kuhnhackl Sheahan ZAR

Dumoulin Letang
Maatta Schultz
??? Oleksiak

Murray
DeSmith
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Inkio on Sun May 20, 2018 1:02 pm

Malkintent wrote:When Crosby was out with the concussion/neck meat, it was rumored a group of players were pushing to have him stripped of the C. Apparently this group consisted of Orpik, Adams, Neal and Staal.

I wonder how true that is since I had always heard Staal was good friends with the guys. Weren't Crosby and others at Staal's wedding when they found out he was traded?

Yeah that sounds very odd. From what I recall it sounded like Staal was very close with Crosby, Fleury, etc. Yeah they were at his wedding when the news broke.

Adams didn't seem like the type of guy that would do that. He was really a team player. Orpik and Neal on the other hand ;) haha

Interesting to say the least. Doesn't seem legit to me.
Inkio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun May 20, 2018 1:12 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Ok. If Brassard isnt moved that really only leaves Sheary and Hunwick as the most likely pieces to be moved in order to get additional scoring depth at LW.

Those pieces alone arent going to bring it that type of top 6 LW, but at 5.25M that does create some room to sign someone via free agency.

-Kane and JVR are likely out of the Pens price range.
-Nash is a bit too old and both he and Maroon wouldnt really mesh well with the Pens speed game.
-Neal and Perron are both under the been there done that category.

So that really doesnt offer much on the UFA front.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Sun May 20, 2018 2:16 pm

Hopefully Rutherford and Sully are on the same page with major moves because they clearly weren’t on with Reaves.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkintent on Sun May 20, 2018 2:37 pm

Inkio wrote:
Malkintent wrote:When Crosby was out with the concussion/neck meat, it was rumored a group of players were pushing to have him stripped of the C. Apparently this group consisted of Orpik, Adams, Neal and Staal.

Yeah that sounds very odd. From what I recall it sounded like Staal was very close with Crosby, Fleury, etc. Yeah they were at his wedding when the news broke.

Adams didn't seem like the type of guy that would do that. He was really a team player. Orpik and Neal on the other hand ;) haha

Interesting to say the least. Doesn't seem legit to me.

Adams seems like he would. He did get into a fight with Malkin in practice.
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkintent on Sun May 20, 2018 2:42 pm

How much do you all think Kane and JVR will sign for? It seems unlikely for the Pens to get them but if they could unload Hagelin and Sheary for picks/cheap players, they should be able to sign one of them and a cheap plug who can't be more invisible in the bottom six than Sheary was.
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sun May 20, 2018 2:46 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Ok. If Brassard isnt moved that really only leaves Sheary and Hunwick as the most likely pieces to be moved in order to get additional scoring depth at LW.

Those pieces alone arent going to bring it that type of top 6 LW, but at 5.25M that does create some room to sign someone via free agency.

-Kane and JVR are likely out of the Pens price range.
-Nash is a bit too old and both he and Maroon wouldnt really mesh well with the Pens speed game.
-Neal and Perron are both under the been there done that category.

So that really doesnt offer much on the UFA front.

The Penguins are in a tough spot. Moving just Sheary and Hunwick for picks and prospects only really won't give them enough cap space to accomplish what this team needs, IMO. The cap is supposed to be anywhere from 78M to 82M. I fear with the players losing significant money via escrow, that the players are going to vote for not having escrow....which in turn would result in the lower end of the cap. If the cap is 78M, that's a 3M increase, consider the following:

--78M cap, as is right now with no RFA or UFA signings, Penguins would have roughly 7.7M in cap space.
--They need to resign Rust, Sheahan, and Oleksiak. For argument's sake, let's go with lower end salaries....2.5M for Rust, 2.25M for Sheahan, and 1.5M for Oleksiak. Those 3 signings bring Penguins down to 1.5M in cap space.
--Sprong needs to be resigned, and it should be minimal raise, or maybe slight increase with a 1-way deal.....let's say 750K. That leaves 750K in cap space left before making any type of trades.

The concern I have is, if you move Sheary and Hagelin, and put JVR in at LW.....how much does that affect your team speed? I think the team gets significantly slower. You also have the problem of either having Rust or Sprong on a 4th line (I personally think Rust on a 4th line with Sheahan and Hagelin would be one of the best 4th lines in the league), playing Rust on LW where he isn't as effective, or moving either Rust or Kessel in a trade.

If you move Sheary and Hunwick, that's only 5.25M in cap space opened up, with the 750K left....that's an even 6M.....what I think it would take to get JVR, at least....leaving zero cap space, only 12 forwards, and 6 defenseman. That won't work either.

As much as I want JVR here (or Kane, who will be even more expensive), unless Kessel is getting traded along with one of Sheary or Hunwick, it doesn't seem possible, unless the cap is much closer to the 82M cap ceiling. You also have to account for the fact that, Jake Guentzel makes 725K this season, and will be an RFA summer 2019. Penguins have to clear cap space for him, whether that is this summer or next summer. Expect his contract to start in the 4M range. What to do?

1. Move Brassard to LW with Malkin. Trade Hunwick and Sheary for picks/prospects. Sheahan as 3C, sign Derek Ryan or Riley Nash as 4C. Sign Thomas Hickey as 3rd pairing D.
2. Trade Sheary, Jarry, and pick to Carolina for Skinner. Move Hagelin and Hunwick for a 3rd pairing d-man. Let guys like Blueger and DiPauli battler for a 4th line LW spot.

I'm not sure either one of those tactics is a big enough shakeup for this team, or maybe a better word is not sure it moves the needle enough to make them a solid contender. It doesn't need an overhaul, but needs more than just a few minor tweaks here and there.

This is the main reason why I think the Kessel talk remains, and to some degree, the Letang talk. I don't see Letang getting moved though.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins