Are there takers for Letang in the off season?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Are there takers for Letang in the off season?

Postby Jim on Mon May 14, 2018 11:38 am

no name wrote:Tanger doesn't want to leave. So of the 18 consider 4 of them don't have cap space, another 4 don't want him. Another 4 teams have a true No. 1 defensemen. So that leaves 6 to work with, so get a fair deal and hopefully they got the pieces we want. Ok maybe not impossible but its not going to all fall into place nice and neat.

Of the 12 teams that he removes he added the 12 teams who really might want him.


That is a lot of assumptions.

... or maybe he just makes a list of teams that he is okay with.

Why do people always seem to assume that a player with a MNTC will automatically screw over the team and his teammates?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,367
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Are there takers for Letang in the off season?

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon May 14, 2018 2:31 pm

Ottawa will be looking for a replacement this summer, so Letang would fit the bill. Plus, they owe us.... ;)
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,612
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:00 pm

Re: Are there takers for Letang in the off season?

Postby Jim on Mon May 14, 2018 2:52 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:Ottawa will be looking for a replacement this summer, so Letang would fit the bill. Plus, they owe us.... ;)


Hoffman would be the only thing that they have that I would be interested in. Outside of picks and prospects (that I don't know) what else do they have?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,367
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Are there takers for Letang in the off season?

Postby Pitts on Mon May 14, 2018 2:56 pm

no name wrote:
Antonio wrote:Sadly I don't think they'll move him but I also don't think it's IMPOSSIBLE like some think.


I think MGT. Would entertain the idea, but putting a deal together would be near impossible with his limited no trade, and getting fair value.

It's not impossible, but the owner, GM, Coach and Captain love him. So, there's that.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,755
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Are there takers for Letang in the off season?

Postby FLPensFan on Mon May 14, 2018 4:00 pm

Guys with decent salary that I could see moved this summer, in order of most likely to least likely:


1. Hunwick
2. Sheary
3. Hagelin
4. Kessel
5. Schultz
6. Brassard
7. Rust
8. Letang

I see no evidence that Pittsburgh wants to move on from him, and if you do, then you are essentially forced to make TWO big trades. One to get pieced for Letang, and one to go out and get another top 4 defenseman. The Penguins will give Letang a chance to bounce back next year.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,370
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Are there takers for Letang in the off season?

Postby jreed on Tue May 15, 2018 11:20 am

FLPensFan wrote:Guys with decent salary that I could see moved this summer, in order of most likely to least likely:


1. Hunwick
2. Sheary
3. Hagelin
4. Kessel
5. Schultz
6. Brassard
7. Rust
8. Letang

I see no evidence that Pittsburgh wants to move on from him, and if you do, then you are essentially forced to make TWO big trades. One to get pieced for Letang, and one to go out and get another top 4 defenseman. The Penguins will give Letang a chance to bounce back next year.


Definitely agree on the top 4 on that list and most of the others. Cant see Schultz moving though. There's potential there to clear a lot of cap space. Kessels production would be very hard to replace, especially after his career year. But, he would net a big return and this is the year to maximize his value. Sheary and Hagelin should be easy peices to find a taker on as well and could be replaced without too much difficulty. Brassard will be an interesting one to watch, though I think management likes what he brings and will likely give him a chance next season.
jreed
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: Are there takers for Letang in the off season?

Postby Cow_Master66 on Tue May 15, 2018 1:42 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Guys with decent salary that I could see moved this summer, in order of most likely to least likely:


1. Hunwick
2. Sheary
3. Hagelin
4. Kessel
5. Schultz
6. Brassard
7. Rust
8. Letang

I see no evidence that Pittsburgh wants to move on from him, and if you do, then you are essentially forced to make TWO big trades. One to get pieced for Letang, and one to go out and get another top 4 defenseman. The Penguins will give Letang a chance to bounce back next year.



If I had to guess, your top 2 are the only one's potentially getting dealt, or 2 out of 3 (Hunwick, Sheary, Rust). If I was a betting man, which I am, I would bet only Sheary gets moved out of that list because I think they like what Hunwick brings even if people around here don't, Hagelin's speed can't be replaced, 4, 5, 6 won't even be considered. 8 won't be moved either...Rust is the interesting one for me. I love him, want him to stay, but his lack of production this post-season makes me wonder if he's viewed as expendable.
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 9:41 am

Re: Are there takers for Letang in the off season?

Postby FLPensFan on Tue May 15, 2018 11:16 pm

Cow_Master66 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Guys with decent salary that I could see moved this summer, in order of most likely to least likely:


1. Hunwick
2. Sheary
3. Hagelin
4. Kessel
5. Schultz
6. Brassard
7. Rust
8. Letang

I see no evidence that Pittsburgh wants to move on from him, and if you do, then you are essentially forced to make TWO big trades. One to get pieced for Letang, and one to go out and get another top 4 defenseman. The Penguins will give Letang a chance to bounce back next year.



If I had to guess, your top 2 are the only one's potentially getting dealt, or 2 out of 3 (Hunwick, Sheary, Rust). If I was a betting man, which I am, I would bet only Sheary gets moved out of that list because I think they like what Hunwick brings even if people around here don't, Hagelin's speed can't be replaced, 4, 5, 6 won't even be considered. 8 won't be moved either...Rust is the interesting one for me. I love him, want him to stay, but his lack of production this post-season makes me wonder if he's viewed as expendable.

They may like Hunwick brings, but....it has yet to be brotten. (yes, I know that is not a word or gramatically correct).

Every player is different, but it has to be some concern that Hunwick had camp and a whole season and couldn't fit in properly.....and Oleksiak, who was very similar to Schultz.....considered a hot mess by his former team that he was basically given away.....Oleksiak came in and had a great season, and didn't take much time to adjust at all.

So, maybe on paper and past film, Hunwick looked like a guy that would fit in seamlessly. When it came time to prove it, he couldn't. Not sure I take the risk of him magically figuring it out this year. If he was a bigger star/top 4 type of guy, yeah, maybe. But not a bottom pairing guy who is on the wrong side of 30.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,370
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Are there takers for Letang in the off season?

Postby FLPensFan on Tue May 15, 2018 11:20 pm

Yohe spoke to Rutherford today about Kris Letang. I'll put some of the quotes below, but the short version is, Rutherford is not shopping Letang. He is not actively shopping Letang and trying to move him. That being said, Rutherford also made comments saying he would listen to any offers on Letang. It would have to be a damn good deal for him to move him, but they think he will bounce back. Though, Rutherford also made comments that he can't project what will happen in the future.

The summary is, Rutherford isn't trying to move Letang, will listen to offers, and Letang is not an untouchable like Crosby and Malkin.....he could get moved at some point in the future.

“Let me put it this way,” Rutherford said of Letang, who has a limited no-trade clause in his contract, which has four years remaining at $7.25 million per year. “He’s not a guy that I’m actively trying to trade from our team. He’s been a great player for a long time and I think he’ll continue to be so. But, I can’t sit here and project an offer that some team could come along and make. I can’t project the future.”

“I’m trying to explain this as best I can,” Rutherford said. “I’m not actively moving him. I don’t think he’ll be going anywhere. I would expect him to be on our team next season.”

“It was a consistency factor with Kris,” Rutherford said. “There were times in the season when he was very good. There were times during the season when he was a higher risk player at the wrong times.”

“Think about what he went through,” Rutherford said. “That was a pretty serious injury he had to deal with and he really was adjusting his game so that he wasn’t in dangerous positions where he would be more vulnerable. So, he had a lot going on and he hadn’t played for a while. It was a lot.”

“I don’t think there’s anything that happened this year that was unexpected based on everything he’d gone through,” Rutherford said. “Also, consider how much we lean on him, how many minutes he had to play. I’m not surprised by how his season played out.”

“Like I said,” Rutherford continued, “I’m not actively looking to trade him.”
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,370
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Are there takers for Letang in the off season?

Postby pekkasteele on Wed May 16, 2018 1:55 am

FLPensFan wrote:Yohe spoke to Rutherford today about Kris Letang. I'll put some of the quotes below, but the short version is, Rutherford is not shopping Letang. He is not actively shopping Letang and trying to move him. That being said, Rutherford also made comments saying he would listen to any offers on Letang. It would have to be a damn good deal for him to move him, but they think he will bounce back. Though, Rutherford also made comments that he can't project what will happen in the future.

The summary is, Rutherford isn't trying to move Letang, will listen to offers, and Letang is not an untouchable like Crosby and Malkin.....he could get moved at some point in the future.

“Let me put it this way,” Rutherford said of Letang, who has a limited no-trade clause in his contract, which has four years remaining at $7.25 million per year. “He’s not a guy that I’m actively trying to trade from our team. He’s been a great player for a long time and I think he’ll continue to be so. But, I can’t sit here and project an offer that some team could come along and make. I can’t project the future.”

“I’m trying to explain this as best I can,” Rutherford said. “I’m not actively moving him. I don’t think he’ll be going anywhere. I would expect him to be on our team next season.”

“It was a consistency factor with Kris,” Rutherford said. “There were times in the season when he was very good. There were times during the season when he was a higher risk player at the wrong times.”

“Think about what he went through,” Rutherford said. “That was a pretty serious injury he had to deal with and he really was adjusting his game so that he wasn’t in dangerous positions where he would be more vulnerable. So, he had a lot going on and he hadn’t played for a while. It was a lot.”

“I don’t think there’s anything that happened this year that was unexpected based on everything he’d gone through,” Rutherford said. “Also, consider how much we lean on him, how many minutes he had to play. I’m not surprised by how his season played out.”

“Like I said,” Rutherford continued, “I’m not actively looking to trade him.”


Maybe some team that miss out on Karlsson will try to get Letang, one can hope!
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 667
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:30 am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Are there takers for Letang in the off season?

Postby FLPensFan on Wed May 16, 2018 12:39 pm

And according to The Onion of PIT Hockey media (I think I'm going to use that from now on, Jim), TIOPS is saying Penguins are open for business on Letang.

TIOPS mentions Detroit and Buffalo as previous interest in Letang
--From Detroit, TIOPS floats the idea of 1st round pick (formerly Vegas pick), 3rd round pick, and Gustav Nyquist for Letang. TIOPS calls Nyquist a much better version of Carl Hagelin, who could slot in on the 2nd line.
--(Personally, I'd rather take the 1st, our 3rd back [from Sheahan trade], and Athanasiou)
--From Buffalo, there is no specific deal discussed. He mentions Buffalo reportedly shopping O'Reilly and PIT having past interest, but says the salaries are almost a wash and part of the reason to trade Letang is to gain cap space. He also mentions Marco Scandella.
--TIOPS finishes this portion by saying if the Penguins think they have a shot at Tavares, they will step up their efforts to move Letang.
--He then mentions Edmonton, Arizona, and Florida as possible.
--Arizona, would be in if they lost OEL. Says a deal could be centered around Max Domi, with other pieces added.
--For Florida, says Letang would be a great 2nd line pairing behind Ekblad. Pit would have interest in Bjugstad still.

This concludes the comic relief portion of Penguins news media reporting.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,370
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Are there takers for Letang in the off season?

Postby Pitts on Wed May 16, 2018 1:08 pm

Tim Benz now pushing the narrative that that Yohe interview with Rutherford was basically Rutherford baiting another GM into making an offer for Letang so he can move him.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,755
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Are there takers for Letang in the off season?

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Wed May 16, 2018 2:44 pm

FLPensFan wrote:--For Florida, says Letang would be a great 2nd line pairing behind Ekblad. Pit would have interest in Bjugstad still.



This is interesting. Tallon said a couple weeks ago that Florida was prepared to make a splash this offseason and specifically said they will be making a run at a big name player. Letang and Karlsson both fit their speed first system although what got them into trouble early in the season was too much freelancing and not trusting Bobby's system. Kris is totally untrustworthy but could be key special teams player for FL. Too bad FL gave away Marchessault last season. He would've killed it in Pitt. Any winger not named Huberdeau just isn't worth it.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,208
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:19 pm

Re: Are there takers for Letang in the off season?

Postby FLPensFan on Wed May 16, 2018 9:46 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:--For Florida, says Letang would be a great 2nd line pairing behind Ekblad. Pit would have interest in Bjugstad still.



This is interesting. Tallon said a couple weeks ago that Florida was prepared to make a splash this offseason and specifically said they will be making a run at a big name player. Letang and Karlsson both fit their speed first system although what got them into trouble early in the season was too much freelancing and not trusting Bobby's system. Kris is totally untrustworthy but could be key special teams player for FL. Too bad FL gave away Marchessault last season. He would've killed it in Pitt. Any winger not named Huberdeau just isn't worth it.

I don't see Letang as a fit there. Ekblad, Yandle, and Matheson are already there. Letang wouldn't unseat Ekblad as a#1, so he'd be a 2nd pairing guy. Ekblad makes 7.5M, Yandle 6.35M, and Matheson jumps to 4.874M. I would take a trade centered around Letang for Matheson, but Florida would be quite stupid to do so. Florida isn't likely to move Barkov, Trocheck, or Huberdeau......and I see nothing else in their forward group that would excite me coming back to PIT in a trade.

I see Florida needing one more good 2nd pairing guy to go with Matheson, and being major players for guys like JVR, Kane, etc as they need a lot of help on the wings.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,370
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Are there takers for Letang in the off season?

Postby ziggo on Thu May 17, 2018 4:36 am

Why are they trading Letang ?
ziggo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 626
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:13 am
Location: Medicine Hat

Re: Are there takers for Letang in the off season?

Postby Badger Bob on Thu May 17, 2018 7:24 am

Rutherford has said he's not actively seeking a trade for Letang:

“Let me put it this way,” Rutherford said of Letang, who has a limited no-trade clause in his contract, which has four years remaining at $7.25 million per year. “He’s not a guy that I’m actively trying to trade from our team. He’s been a great player for a long time and I think he’ll continue to be so. But, I can’t sit here and project an offer that some team could come along and make. I can’t project the future.”

“I’m trying to explain this as best I can,” Rutherford said. “I’m not actively moving him. I don’t think he’ll be going anywhere. I would expect him to be on our team next season.”


But he will accept phone calls about him from other teams.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 618
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:21 pm

Re: Are there takers for Letang in the off season?

Postby Jim on Thu May 17, 2018 10:49 am

FLPensFan wrote:Yohe spoke to Rutherford today about Kris Letang. I'll put some of the quotes below, but the short version is, Rutherford is not shopping Letang. He is not actively shopping Letang and trying to move him. That being said, Rutherford also made comments saying he would listen to any offers on Letang. It would have to be a damn good deal for him to move him, but they think he will bounce back. Though, Rutherford also made comments that he can't project what will happen in the future.

The summary is, Rutherford isn't trying to move Letang, will listen to offers, and Letang is not an untouchable like Crosby and Malkin.....he could get moved at some point in the future.

“Let me put it this way,” Rutherford said of Letang, who has a limited no-trade clause in his contract, which has four years remaining at $7.25 million per year. “He’s not a guy that I’m actively trying to trade from our team. He’s been a great player for a long time and I think he’ll continue to be so. But, I can’t sit here and project an offer that some team could come along and make. I can’t project the future.”

“I’m trying to explain this as best I can,” Rutherford said. “I’m not actively moving him. I don’t think he’ll be going anywhere. I would expect him to be on our team next season.”

“It was a consistency factor with Kris,” Rutherford said. “There were times in the season when he was very good. There were times during the season when he was a higher risk player at the wrong times.”

“Think about what he went through,” Rutherford said. “That was a pretty serious injury he had to deal with and he really was adjusting his game so that he wasn’t in dangerous positions where he would be more vulnerable. So, he had a lot going on and he hadn’t played for a while. It was a lot.”

“I don’t think there’s anything that happened this year that was unexpected based on everything he’d gone through,” Rutherford said. “Also, consider how much we lean on him, how many minutes he had to play. I’m not surprised by how his season played out.”

“Like I said,” Rutherford continued, “I’m not actively looking to trade him.”


I love that he called Letang out.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,367
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Are there takers for Letang in the off season?

Postby Jim on Thu May 17, 2018 10:53 am

FLPensFan wrote:--From Detroit, TIOPS floats the idea of 1st round pick (formerly Vegas pick), 3rd round pick, and Gustav Nyquist for Letang. TIOPS calls Nyquist a much better version of Carl Hagelin, who could slot in on the 2nd line.
--(Personally, I'd rather take the 1st, our 3rd back [from Sheahan trade], and Athanasiou)


I'd rather have the 20g/50pt guy over the 15g/30pt guy... but either way I don't think it is enough. Vegas' 1st round pick is going to be #30ish so it really has little value as a 1st. Detroit's 1st would make it something to discuss.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,367
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Are there takers for Letang in the off season?

Postby KG on Thu May 17, 2018 11:41 am

If the Pens decide to make Letang available I think many teams will come calling.

He makes brain farts but you can’t teach skill, and he has a ton of that.

I would be leery of moving Letang without getting a top 4 or 2 d man in return.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,497
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Are there takers for Letang in the off season?

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu May 17, 2018 11:54 am

KG wrote:If the Pens decide to make Letang available I think many teams will come calling.

He makes brain farts but you can’t teach skill, and he has a ton of that.

I would be leery of moving Letang without getting a top 4 or 2 d man in return.


I don't necessarily agree with that. The Pens could offer Carlson the money they have allotted to Letang and take a young upcoming LW or picks in a trade for Letang. But I do agree that if you move Letang you need to find a top 4 guy to bring in. Dumoulin, Maatta, and Schultz are a solid 3/4 but you need someone else.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,001
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: Are there takers for Letang in the off season?

Postby Pitts on Thu May 17, 2018 1:13 pm

ziggo wrote:Why are they trading Letang ?

The Penguins are not. The fans are.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,755
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Are there takers for Letang in the off season?

Postby Hatrick on Thu May 17, 2018 1:55 pm

For the record I think the only guys GMJR should not/would not listen to trade offers on is Sid and Geno. So I think he should listen to offers on Letang just for due diligence sake but he is not a guy that should be given away for a bag of used hockey pucks like some fans apparently want him to be. He is still an asset(who has fallen in value from a few years ago but is still an asset) who if traded should net some return, especially if the Penguins eat any of the contract. If they trade him away and unload the contract they should expect something of some value coming back(whether its picks or prospects or other defensemen the other team wants to part with), if they trade him and pay part of the contract they should expect significant extra value coming back depending on how much they would eat.
Hatrick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:48 pm

Re: Are there takers for Letang in the off season?

Postby Penguins Knight on Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:45 pm

Trading away Letang should be a priority this season. Letang has become a liability for the Penguins with his turnovers and poor defensively play in the zone. The Penguins need a better defenseman who does not produce turnovers, keeps the puck out of the defense zone, and does not own a golden parachute.
Penguins Knight
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:57 pm

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FLPensFan and 18 guests


e-mail