SCP18 Game 6 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: SCP18 Game 6 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Southern Fan on Tue May 08, 2018 3:43 pm

Just looking at regular season standings the past three years.

2015-2016 3 teams had a better record- Caps, Stars, Blues
2016-2017 1 team had a better record - Caps
2017-2018 NINE teams had a better record, a tenth had the same record, and 4 others were within 3 points

It was an uphill battle.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Tue May 08, 2018 5:24 pm

Happy no one had to shake Wilson’s hand last night.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Tue May 08, 2018 6:42 pm

Humperdink wrote:Thx Penspal. Enjoyed your post game assessments. Right on the button in all cases.

My disappointment is tempered by the fact that I was not expecting us go all the way. Too many good teams left.

Even though he signed an extension, I half expect GMJR to retire.

I can’t believe this loss happened. You and DistinctKickingMtn both claimed the Caps won’t win because the Pens had beat them all the way back to the early 90’s. That all but assured the Pens would win again.

As I said, what happened in the early 90’s has zero bearing on this series.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby Sams_Dog on Tue May 08, 2018 7:50 pm

Positives: Sid plays a whole season and plays great second half, Dumo had a solid year and earned every penny, Kessel has a career year, Sheehan was a good pick up, Geno scored some more highlight reel goals, I like Oleksiak, they beat Philly 5 times in the regular season and in the playoffs.

Negatives: No Cup, lousy start, terrible trade for Reaves, injuries at the wrong time, Sprong did not take (was not allowed?) a step forward, defense became thin.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Tue May 08, 2018 7:58 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
Humperdink wrote:Thx Penspal. Enjoyed your post game assessments. Right on the button in all cases.

My disappointment is tempered by the fact that I was not expecting us go all the way. Too many good teams left.

Even though he signed an extension, I half expect GMJR to retire.

I can’t believe this loss happened. You and DistinctKickingMtn both claimed the Caps won’t win because the Pens had beat them all the way back to the early 90’s. That all but assured the Pens would win again.

As I said, what happened in the early 90’s has zero bearing on this series.

If there is one thing I won't miss about the Pens season coming to a close, it's a certain commenter who lies in wait, then springs out of nowhere, resurrecting comments from days/weeks ago. What a way to go through life and get your jollies. Apparently this commenter failed to read the Washington press corps, echoing the very same thoughts that the Caps were at a disadvantage going in, due to .... wait for it ..... the long and abysmal playoff history of the Caps v. Pens. (Was that a run-on sentence?)

Additionally, he/she specializes is grammar/spelling corrections as though fellow posters care about such mundane drivel. It would appear this character loses significant sleep over the continual misspellings of the names Maatta and Dumoulin. I am hoping the Pens never sign Vladislav Namestnikov or this poor guy/lady will need a lifetime supply of Zolpidem (aka Ambien). I am thinking the air thin up at his/her altitude (and attitude).

In addition to his linguistic skills, this commenter preached for days on end that our Matt Murray had a great glove hand (sorry, goaded into playing the commenter's game here). After all, you don't win two (2) Stanley Cups without a great glove, said the commenter. Funny, as the goals were pouring in above, below, inside, outside and through the glove hand, the aforementioned commenter disappeared from this forum. He/she was called out a few times in recent days, but rumor has it, the witness protection gained a new client.

Even though the season came to close earlier than planned, there are blessings and not seeing his/her tripe is one of them.

Enjoy your summer. Cheers!
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ejd43 on Tue May 08, 2018 8:31 pm

Just wanted to take a minute and thank you all. I dont post as much as id like to, but always enjoy reading the board in good and bad times. These last two years have been a blast. I, for one am bummed we lost, but in a sense glad its over as i need a few months to have a detox from hockey, and recharge my "fandom". Ill be lurking over the summer, but until next season i wish everyone a safe and fun summer, and we will get em next year. Cheers!
ejd43
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shoeshine boy on Wed May 09, 2018 8:05 am

DelPen wrote:Happy no one had to shake Wilson’s hand last night.

I posted that in several places yesterday. the best thing about losing in 6 is that not a single Pen was forced to shake Tom Wilson's hand. :fist:
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Wed May 09, 2018 11:22 am

Sams_Dog wrote:Positives: Sid plays a whole season and plays great second half, Dumo had a solid year and earned every penny, Kessel has a career year, Sheehan was a good pick up, Geno scored some more highlight reel goals, I like Oleksiak, they beat Philly 5 times in the regular season and in the playoffs.

Negatives: No Cup, lousy start, terrible trade for Reaves, injuries at the wrong time, Sprong did not take (was not allowed?) a step forward, defense became thin.

I don't know that we can say Sprong didn't take a step forward. He didn't play as much as some hoped at the NHL level, and didn't get a crack at the lineup in the playoffs despite struggling secondary scoring, but I think only the WBS and Pittsburgh coaches know how much he developed this season. Hopefully a lot so he has a chance of making the NHL club coming out of camp.

Other positives including having a lot of important players signed for next season, and many very good ones for longer term. Dumoulin for one. Sid made a huge jump in his personal stats, both achieving his 1100th professional point this season, and despite the shorter than desired post season, tied Yzerman in career playoff scoring. Technically still #11, but poised to displace Jagr at #5 next year, and achieve #3 all time by the end of his career, behind only Gretzky and Messier. While it probably matters more to me than it does him, it is nice to see him ascend the hockey immortals in such a concrete and undisputable manner.
Great58
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Wed May 09, 2018 7:27 pm

Tom Wilson hasn’t learned a single thing. Still blaming ZAR for breaking his own jaw apparently.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins