Ron Cook - Why Does He Even Try To Write Hockey?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Ron Cook - Why Does He Even Try To Write Hockey?

Postby Jim on Wed May 23, 2018 10:59 am

Maybe if you other writers would write some good stuff more often than writing trash... You didn't write THIS article, but it's not like there is a history of good stuff and this is the odd-story-out. Yohe, are you suggesting that Mackey typically puts out gems?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby LimerickPensFan on Wed May 23, 2018 11:36 am

Pruezy11881 wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote:
Badger Bob wrote:A good percentage of Pittsburgh sports media is about trying to stir up emotion from their listeners and readers. It's their way of attempting to improve ratings.

And shame on team management if they allowed Kessel's ironman streak be the sole reason for him not getting some rest to help him recover from some the injuries he evidently experienced during the regular season. How is that Phil's fault? If Sullivan was aware of Phil's mounting injuries, then it's his job as coach to make him sit.

Just playing devils advocate...

If Phil wasn't truthful about what his injuries were and was keeping them secret for the sake of the streak, how wouldn't that be Kessel's fault?

It is for the first game. After that, he needs to prove to you on the ice at practice/morning skate that he's capable.

I would think that it would be a tough line to tow if you are going to scratch him just because he isn't producing how you think he should. Is the player really hurt or just in a funk? If he's is slumping and you scratch him to end the streak because you think it's an injury, then I feel that would open up another can of worms. Just me though...

I'm not saying scratch him for not producing.

What I saw out of Phil in these playoffs - he was trying to make plays he can normally make, like carrying a puck through an attempted stick check, and he didn't appear to have the strength in his arms to keep the puck. I saw that happen three or four times in one game, and it always resulted in an odd-man break going the other way. That looked to me like a player's body betraying him. He normally keeps the puck on those plays. Set up an opportunity with someone in practice/morning skate where he shows that he can handle that several times. If he can't, you sit him, he's obviously still hurt to badly, and you tell him exactly why. If he can, you let him play. We can't afford to have you turning over the puck at the blue line because your mind says you can do something you've done repeatedly, but your body isn't allowing you to do it because of your injury.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Realist on Thu May 24, 2018 11:01 am

Oh my God. Another Cook Pens article that is cringeworthy: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron- ... 1805230076

So, in this article Cook states, with no evidence, the following: Kessel was looked to be traded, Kessel wanted to play with Geno, Kessel is mad at his coach.

I think Ron Cook really needs to write articles with some factual basis behind them. Its an opinion column, but my God.
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Badger Bob on Thu May 24, 2018 11:50 am

Yeah. I posted that on the previous page yesterday.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby stonewizard51 on Thu May 24, 2018 5:33 pm

And yet Kessel had one of, if not the best, regular seasons of his career. Ron Cook needs to tone it down a bit. IMHO Pens were tired and it showed.
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Badger Bob on Mon May 28, 2018 5:54 pm

Here goes the clown again:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron- ... 1805280062

Trolling again.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ejd43 on Mon May 28, 2018 7:22 pm

I hate the narrative that someone deserves a stanley cup. You earn it. I personally hope Ovi goes down as the super star that could never win. Never cared for how he carried himself. Especially early on in his career.
ejd43
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Mon May 28, 2018 7:42 pm

It's a PR bonanza, he has never been mentioned so much as when he writes penguin.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby theblackarts on Tue May 29, 2018 1:30 pm

Keep in mind that writers don't always get to write whatever they want. They're under a lot of pressure from editors and owners and investors and such to deliver drama and stir up controversy. That being said, I'm not a big Ron Cook fan.
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby stonewizard51 on Tue May 29, 2018 4:29 pm

ejd43 wrote:I hate the narrative that someone deserves a stanley cup. You earn it. I personally hope Ovi goes down as the super star that could never win. Never cared for how he carried himself. Especially early on in his career.

Exactly !!

I deserve $50 mil so I can live comfortably the rest of my life but no one is gonna give it to me nor should they.
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins