Penguins post-season injuries

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Penguins post-season injuries

Postby Badger Bob on Wed May 09, 2018 12:17 pm

What are they afraid of with the injury disclosure? That's pretty atypical for a post-season press conference. I guess it will leak out eventually, but what's the big secret? HCMS must think they're still in it.

I wonder if Brassard had a pulled groin based on what was said.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Wed May 09, 2018 12:29 pm

Badger Bob wrote:What are they afraid of with the injury disclosure? That's pretty atypical for a post-season press conference. I guess it will leak out eventually, but what's the big secret? HCMS must think they're still in it.

I wonder if Brassard had a pulled groin based on what was said.

Groin pull for Brassard is my guess. Brassard expanded later he wasn't disclosing the injury because he didn't want it to be used as an excuse.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Wed May 09, 2018 12:31 pm

A golden quote here from Angie Carducci, @acrducci, from Rutherford speaking:

Rutherford: I will make some changes; I can't give you a definite answer on who or positions right now. But we're a good team; we'll be a good team going forward. We have the nucleus to win. And we have players other teams will want that will enable us to make those changes.

Will be interesting to see who that is, because I doubt teams are lining up for Sheary and Hunwick......
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby jreed on Wed May 09, 2018 12:36 pm

FLPensFan wrote:A golden quote here from Angie Carducci, @acrducci, from Rutherford speaking:

Rutherford: I will make some changes; I can't give you a definite answer on who or positions right now. But we're a good team; we'll be a good team going forward. We have the nucleus to win. And we have players other teams will want that will enable us to make those changes.

Will be interesting to see who that is, because I doubt teams are lining up for Sheary and Hunwick......

Thats interesting....
jreed
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Badger Bob on Wed May 09, 2018 12:56 pm

I always like the principle of trading all our bad players for other team's good players.

Just like Daley for Scuderi. Yes? :D

EDIT: BTW, Kessel, Geno, and Sprong did not speak to reporters. I think Phil had already left town, as I mentioned earlier. Not sure about Geno and Sprong. Phil undoubtedly didn't want to deal with all the questions.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Wed May 09, 2018 1:43 pm

Sully and Rutherford actually validate what Steigy said about Kessel yesterday.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Risto on Wed May 09, 2018 1:50 pm

I find Sullivan's continued insistence that no one was playing with an injury of any significance to be striking. He knows very well that that puts the focus squarely on under-performance- Geno, Kessel, Brassard.

JR seems slightly more forgiving, talking about nagging injuries that slowed Brassard and Kessel.
Risto
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Badger Bob on Wed May 09, 2018 1:51 pm

DelPen wrote:Sully and Rutherford actually validate what Steigy said about Kessel yesterday.

He's still a clueless buffoon. :D
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed May 09, 2018 2:38 pm

Risto wrote:I find Sullivan's continued insistence that no one was playing with an injury of any significance to be striking. He knows very well that that puts the focus squarely on under-performance- Geno, Kessel, Brassard.

JR seems slightly more forgiving, talking about nagging injuries that slowed Brassard and Kessel.

I agree. Almost like, "You need to ask Kessel himself why he played poorly, because it wasn't due to injury".

BUT, he does say Brassard played with an injury he couldn't get over. Also, we all know Geno was hurt because he sat out some games. Kessel on the other hand...

I pointed this out earlier. NBC showed Phil super pissed on the bench talking to himself and doing his Phil thing, they panned the camera to Sully and he looked super annoyed.

Sully and Phil have been heading on a collision course for a while now. It was easier to let things slide when Phil was producing; for example during the season. I guess we will see how it goes.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Wed May 09, 2018 2:48 pm

I'll throw this out there and see what you guys think.

IF Kessel had of sat when her got hurt in the regular season (instead of keeping the iron man alive), he might have been healthier and produced come playoff time. He's a PROVEN playoff guy, even before coming to the Pens. So I am not buying anything but injuries. I think he was hurt (the small variety in multiple places) and the Pens are pissed off cause he refused to break the ironman streak.

No personal record, no matter how great, is better than a stanley cup.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pruezy11881 on Wed May 09, 2018 2:50 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
Risto wrote:I find Sullivan's continued insistence that no one was playing with an injury of any significance to be striking. He knows very well that that puts the focus squarely on under-performance- Geno, Kessel, Brassard.

I agree. Almost like, "You need to ask Kessel himself why he played poorly, because it wasn't due to injury".

BUT, he does say Brassard played with an injury he couldn't get over. Also, we all know Geno was hurt because he sat out some games. Kessel on the other hand...

I pointed this out earlier. NBC showed Phil super pissed on the bench talking to himself and doing his Phil thing, they panned the camera to Sully and he looked super annoyed.

Sully and Phil have been heading on a collision course for a while now. It was easier to let things slide when Phil was producing; for example during the season. I guess we will see how it goes.

I think Tocchet did a lot as an in-between guy when it came to those two. Which is probably why Phil holds Tocchet in such high regard.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Wed May 09, 2018 2:52 pm

It's not Kessel's choice if he plays or not.

I like how when things go right everyone backs the coach... but when it goes poorly it's the players calling the shots.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby LimerickPensFan on Wed May 09, 2018 2:58 pm

Penspal wrote:I'll throw this out there and see what you guys think.

IF Kessel had of sat when her got hurt in the regular season (instead of keeping the iron man alive), he might have been healthier and produced come playoff time. He's a PROVEN playoff guy, even before coming to the Pens. So I am not buying anything but injuries. I think he was hurt (the small variety in multiple places) and the Pens are pissed off cause he refused to break the ironman streak.

No personal record, no matter how great, is better than a stanley cup.

It really depends on the injury. Some injuries don't get better any faster by resting. If this is one of those, then the question has to be raised, was Phil better than whoever would have replaced him if he sat? The player is always going to think yes on that, otherwise, I'd question their competitiveness. The coach is the one that can best make that rational decision.
Last edited by LimerickPensFan on Wed May 09, 2018 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pressure=9Pa on Wed May 09, 2018 2:58 pm

If you tempered "pissed off" to "annoyed", I think you're on to something. I picture ....

Sully (many times): Phil, we need you healthy, go ahead and sit if you're hurt.
Phil (many times): Coach, I'm fine. I'm not hurt. It's nothing major. Nothing I can't play through or haven't played through before.
Fans: Phil is obviously hurt.

Media: How hurt was Phil?
Sully: Nothing major.

Phil (later to Sully): Why did you tall them nothing major? I've been playing hurt for 2 months??!!
Sully: Because that's what you told me.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Badger Bob on Wed May 09, 2018 3:06 pm

Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Southern Fan on Wed May 09, 2018 4:32 pm

Badger Bob wrote:Bombulie report on ZAR:

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/136 ... wilson-hit

I've been a Pens fan for over 40 years. The one thing they could do for me to turn my back on them forever would be to give Tom Wilson a contract. That man is scum. Glad he didn't reach out. He would have said, "I didn't do anything wrong. You should have seen me coming."
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby brwi on Wed May 09, 2018 5:03 pm

pressure=9Pa wrote:

If you tempered "pissed off" to "annoyed", I think you're on to something. I picture ....

Sully (many times): Phil, we need you healthy, go ahead and sit if you're hurt.
Phil (many times): Coach, I'm fine. I'm not hurt. It's nothing major. Nothing I can't play through or haven't played through before.
Fans: Phil is obviously hurt.

Media: How hurt was Phil?
Sully: Nothing major.

Phil (later to Sully): Why did you tall them nothing major? I've been playing hurt for 2 months??!!
Sully: Because that's what you told me.

:thumb: :lol:
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lesky on Wed May 09, 2018 5:29 pm

Rutherford wanted to protect Kessel. Weird he did not speak to anyone before leaving town also. The Pens maybe wanted to avoid Kessel getting called out by the media like in Toronto?

Rutherford probably thought he deserved a break after being vital in 2 runs and helping us making the playoffs this year?

No idea why Sullivan took a dig at Phil...no point of that and contradict Jim.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Wed May 09, 2018 5:47 pm

Media has bigger targets for poor play over Kessel, Letang and Murray being far greater contributors to when we exited and neither were hurt either.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Steve Dave on Wed May 09, 2018 6:34 pm

Lesky wrote:Rutherford wanted to protect Kessel. Weird he did not speak to anyone before leaving town also. The Pens maybe wanted to avoid Kessel getting called out by the media like in Toronto?

Rutherford probably thought he deserved a break after being vital in 2 runs and helping us making the playoffs this year?

Weren’t there rumors last summer of Kessel being on the market? Let’s pretend that Kessel is traded at the draft, for a young D and/or young Forward and a pick(s). Sprong taking his place would open up a lot of cap space. What free agents are enticing?

Guentzel Crosby Hornqvist
Hagelin Malkin Sprong
Aston-Reese Brassard Rust
Sheary Sheahan Kuhnhackl
Simon Blueger

Dumoulin Letang
Maatta Schultz
Oleksiak Ruhwedel
Hunwick

Muray
DeSmith
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Wed May 09, 2018 6:48 pm

Steve Dave wrote:
Lesky wrote:Rutherford wanted to protect Kessel. Weird he did not speak to anyone before leaving town also. The Pens maybe wanted to avoid Kessel getting called out by the media like in Toronto?

Weren’t there rumors last summer of Kessel being on the market? Let’s pretend that Kessel is traded at the draft, for a young D and/or young Forward and a pick(s). Sprong taking his place would open up a lot of cap space. What free agents are enticing?

Guentzel Crosby Hornqvist
Hagelin Malkin Sprong
Aston-Reese Brassard Rust
Sheary Sheahan Kuhnhackl
Simon Blueger

Dumoulin Letang
Maatta Schultz
Oleksiak Ruhwedel
Hunwick

Muray
DeSmith

From a left wing perspective JVR and Kane are the two top UFA’s. Either one is going to cost around 6 mil per season on a long term deal.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Wed May 09, 2018 7:45 pm

All I know is Coach Sullivan stated he was not going to discuss specific player injuries, but then makes a point of saying it was nothing significant!
I was expecting a rib injury for Phil. He never shot the puck during the caps series. Perplexing!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: “Some people are so much sunshine to the square inch.” ~WW

Postby Daniel on Wed May 09, 2018 8:23 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Rutherford says Kessel has played through injuries all year. To his credit, he played through them all season, but feels they just caught up to him in the playoffs. None of his injuries will require surgery.

I don't give him credit for this. I think it was selfish to not take time off during the season when he was obviously hurt. If it doesn't need surgery, he could have healed during the season and helped during the playoffs.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lesky on Wed May 09, 2018 8:36 pm

Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Rutherford says Kessel has played through injuries all year. To his credit, he played through them all season, but feels they just caught up to him in the playoffs. None of his injuries will require surgery.

I don't give him credit for this. I think it was selfish to not take time off during the season when he was obviously hurt. If it doesn't need surgery, he could have healed during the season and helped during the playoffs.

I see your point but:

Well, without Kessel for 20-30 games, the Pens might struggle to get in the playoffs and would have played Tampa or Caps in the first round. The standings were that tight. Phil put many points on the board. I assume he would have needed an extended time to get healthy. I would love to see how Kessel, the medical staff and Sullivan decided to do what they did.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel on Wed May 09, 2018 8:58 pm

Lesky wrote:
Daniel wrote:

I see your point but:

Well, without Kessel for 20-30 games, the Pens might struggle to get in the playoffs and would have played Tampa or Caps in the first round. The standings were that tight. Phil put many points on the board. I assume he would have needed an extended time to get healthy. I would love to see how Kessel, the medical staff and Sullivan decided to do what they did.

I agree, we don't know the behind scenes. Thing is though, if he isn't hurt enough to need surgery, why didn't he take some time off when he first got hurt, even a week or two? What would that be, 8 games? The flip side, maybe it just subtly got worse and worse.

You're right though, we don't know.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins