Penguins post-season injuries

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Penguins post-season injuries

Postby Great58 on Thu May 10, 2018 9:02 am

Has Phil ever referenced his iron man streak? Do we know as fact this is something that was important to him, that he shrugged off suggestions that he rest so as to continue the consecutive game streak? Or is he just a guy that comes to work everyday and plays the best that he can, that doesn't ask to be taken out of the lineup for nuance injuries? Because ultimately it's Sullivan and GMJR's decision as to when he dresses. Some would credit Phil's workman like attitude and willingness to play as well as he can when called upon, and no one wants to ask to be held out.

Sullivan looks pretty foolish to me for continuing to play a poorly performing Kessel, not amending his approach much at all. But minimizing any injury, he tries to place more of that blame on Phil.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Thu May 10, 2018 10:02 am

Great58 wrote:Has Phil ever referenced his iron man streak? Do we know as fact this is something that was important to him, that he shrugged off suggestions that he rest so as to continue the consecutive game streak? Or is he just a guy that comes to work everyday and plays the best that he can, that doesn't ask to be taken out of the lineup for nuance injuries? Because ultimately it's Sullivan and GMJR's decision as to when he dresses. Some would credit Phil's workman like attitude and willingness to play as well as he can when called upon, and no one wants to ask to be held out.

Sullivan looks pretty foolish to me for continuing to play a poorly performing Kessel, not amending his approach much at all. But minimizing any injury, he tries to place more of that blame on Phil.

I can’t think of too many times where an all star caliber player gets healthy scratched for poor play especially when the alternatives aren’t much better.

If Phil was healthy and this was all just mental it also means he can snap out of it at any time. Even Letang was never scratched form performance and he hurt the team more.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Thu May 10, 2018 11:29 am

Great58 wrote:Has Phil ever referenced his iron man streak? Do we know as fact this is something that was important to him, that he shrugged off suggestions that he rest so as to continue the consecutive game streak? Or is he just a guy that comes to work everyday and plays the best that he can, that doesn't ask to be taken out of the lineup for nuance injuries? Because ultimately it's Sullivan and GMJR's decision as to when he dresses. Some would credit Phil's workman like attitude and willingness to play as well as he can when called upon, and no one wants to ask to be held out.

According to a snippet in an article Yohe wrote yesterday, yes, the iron man streak is a big deal to Kessel.

snip~

The Penguins do get aggravated that Kessel is so enamored with his current games played streak. Sullivan wanted Kessel and Ian Cole to sit out the regular season finale at Madison Square Garden last April. The game was meaningless. Cole agreed to sit. Kessel did not because of his streak.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lesky on Thu May 10, 2018 11:53 am

Jeesh. The Kessel thing is going to be debated all summer long. I thought it was mandatory to face the press before going on vacation? How usual is it that a player of phils caliber bolt and avoid the clearout and media like Phil did?
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Thu May 10, 2018 12:03 pm

I think the biggest problem with the team was the cumulative physical and mental effects of playing championship caliber hockey for the past 2+ years. The short summers, all the teams in the league targeting you, and the playoff grinds had to have taken their toll. Add up the injuries and the personnel losses (including assistant coaching changes) and this is not totally unexpected.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Thu May 10, 2018 12:06 pm

pressure=9Pa wrote:
Penspal wrote:I'll throw this out there and see what you guys think.

IF Kessel had of sat when her got hurt in the regular season (instead of keeping the iron man alive), he might have been healthier and produced come playoff time. He's a PROVEN playoff guy, even before coming to the Pens. So I am not buying anything but injuries. I think he was hurt (the small variety in multiple places) and the Pens are pissed off cause he refused to break the ironman streak.

If you tempered "pissed off" to "annoyed", I think you're on to something. I picture ....

Sully (many times): Phil, we need you healthy, go ahead and sit if you're hurt.
Phil (many times): Coach, I'm fine. I'm not hurt. It's nothing major. Nothing I can't play through or haven't played through before.
Fans: Phil is obviously hurt.

Media: How hurt was Phil?
Sully: Nothing major.

Phil (later to Sully): Why did you tall them nothing major? I've been playing hurt for 2 months??!!
Sully: Because that's what you told me.

I think we were onto this one early, or the media picked it up from us (I sure hope not)

http://pittsburghhockeynow.com/gajtka-penguins-felt-kessel-put-streak-ahead-of-team-but-why-did-he/

I think we were more right than wrong.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Thu May 10, 2018 12:06 pm

Kessel: "Hey Jim, since we are done playing I am going to head out to Boston for my cousin's big 40th party that is tomorrow. The whole family is going to be there."
Rutherford: "Have a good time Phil."

Wait... you mean that there might be another reason, well, thousands of other reasons, that Phil left other than running from the press? Whhhhaaaaaat?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Great58 on Thu May 10, 2018 12:26 pm

DelPen wrote:

I can’t think of too many times where an all star caliber player gets healthy scratched for poor play especially when the alternatives aren’t much better.

If Phil was healthy and this was all just mental it also means he can snap out of it at any time. Even Letang was never scratched form performance and he hurt the team more.

Yeah, but Letang was removed from the 1 PP (eventually) when it seemed best that Schultz take that role. No adjustments were made when Phil couldn't accept a pass or get a shot on net. He kept going out there, and the Capitals would ignore him when he didn't have the puck, and pressure him when he did. It was obvious he couldn't make a play. I think that is on Sullivan.

Phil hurt his shoulder when he slid into the boards with a few weeks to go in the season (was it @ Carolina? Trade deadline day?). Management should have scratched him then to let it heal.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Badger Bob on Thu May 10, 2018 12:38 pm

Lesky wrote:Jeesh. The Kessel thing is going to be debated all summer long. I thought it was mandatory to face the press before going on vacation? How usual is it that a player of phils caliber bolt and avoid the clearout and media like Phil did?

Geno left without speaking to reporters as well.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Thu May 10, 2018 12:45 pm

Badger Bob wrote:
Lesky wrote:Jeesh. The Kessel thing is going to be debated all summer long. I thought it was mandatory to face the press before going on vacation? How usual is it that a player of phils caliber bolt and avoid the clearout and media like Phil did?

:shock:
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Badger Bob on Thu May 10, 2018 12:50 pm

Jim wrote:
Badger Bob wrote:

:shock:

Yes, I know. Hard to believe, yes. Although I also don't know if Runglish is defined as speaking.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu May 10, 2018 1:01 pm

Malkin talked to everyone after the game. Kessel was one of I think three who didn’t talk after the game or on clear out day, can’t remeber the others.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Badger Bob on Thu May 10, 2018 1:55 pm

Kessel = Butt Hurt

I love Phil, but he sure can be squirrelly sometimes (most times).
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby djlm on Fri May 11, 2018 11:31 am

Steve Dave wrote:Weren’t there rumors last summer of Kessel being on the market?

A few fans on this board wanted to trade our best winger for a 4th line center if I remember correctly.
djlm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Fri May 11, 2018 11:45 am

djlm wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:Weren’t there rumors last summer of Kessel being on the market?

A few fans on this board wanted to trade our best winger for a 4th line center if I remember correctly.

You remember their brilliance correctly.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lesky on Fri May 11, 2018 1:43 pm

Did Sheary talk after game 6 or at the clearout? Or did he not speak to the media at all after elimination?
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Fri May 11, 2018 3:01 pm

Lesky wrote:Did Sheary talk after game 6 or at the clearout? Or did he not speak to the media at all after elimination?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DcwO-YuU8AAUywg.jpg

Sheary is part of the Penguin group who played golf with Shenderovich and Shenderovich on Tuesday.

Ruhwheedal, Oli, Sheary, Brassard? Jake is a funny guy.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jim on Fri May 11, 2018 3:18 pm

Those are some WHITE legs there plaid shorts guy...
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pekkasteele on Fri May 11, 2018 5:54 pm

djlm wrote:

Then you don't remember correctly what people wanted, but you remembered how Jim tried to make it seem.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby midd on Fri May 11, 2018 7:56 pm

A man with much sense! Amen!! Can we please stop trying to pick this loss apart? There's no way Kessel sits in the playoffs; especially after what he did the past two seasons. You play him and hope he can play through it. He didn't. It happens.

Who were you going to replace him with? Please don't tell me Sprong. Because if you play Sprong then Simon sits; not Phil Kessel.

DelPen wrote:

midd
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri May 11, 2018 8:50 pm

I'd love to see the Pens start next season with the below forward lines.

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
JVR - Malkin - Kessel
Hagelin - Brassard - Sprong
ZAR/Kuhnhackl- Sheahan - Rust
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Fri May 11, 2018 9:34 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:I'd love to see the Pens start next season with the below forward lines.

JVR - Malkin - Kessel

So basically make one move... get JVR and that is the only change you would make to the team?
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Great58 on Sat May 12, 2018 7:18 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:I'd love to see the Pens start next season with the below forward lines.

JVR - Malkin - Kessel

So basically make one move... get JVR and that is the only change you would make to the team?

And apparently get rid of all the defensemen. ;)
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby djlm on Sat May 12, 2018 7:41 am

pekkasteele wrote:
djlm wrote:

Then you don't remember correctly what people wanted, but you remembered how Jim tried to make it seem.

I was wrong, it was a 3rd C, not 4th C, so yeah I didn't remember correctly I guess

Here's my original post on the matter last offseason:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67447&p=3127810&hilit=winger#p3127810

"Yep. Trading your best winger for a 3rd C is a no-no imho."

You even chimed in with /s: "No, not a "solid" 3c, but a team with 3 star Cs .... they would even stop world hunger."
djlm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Sat May 12, 2018 9:23 am

Great58 wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:

JVR - Malkin - Kessel

And apparently get rid of all the defensemen. ;)

JVR and Sprong in the lineup would be two changes.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins