Penguins post-season injuries

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Penguins post-season injuries

Postby Jim on Sat May 12, 2018 6:48 pm

djlm wrote:
pekkasteele wrote:
djlm wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:Weren’t there rumors last summer of Kessel being on the market?


A few fans on this board wanted to trade our best winger for a 4th line center if I remember correctly.


Then you don't remember correctly what people wanted, but you remembered how Jim tried to make it seem.


I was wrong, it was a 3rd C, not 4th C, so yeah I didn't remember correctly I guess

Here's my original post on the matter last offseason:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67447&p=3127810&hilit=winger#p3127810

"Yep. Trading your best winger for a 3rd C is a no-no imho."

You even chimed in with /s: "No, not a "solid" 3c, but a team with 3 star Cs .... they would even stop world hunger."


Yeah, people mock me for being a meanie, yet in reality they simply forget the absolutely moronic things that they post. A year later they think, "no, no one could have said something so stupid!" only to have it pointed out that it was them that supported it or even said it. Too many people post without thinking. They either hear something on the radio and quickly regurgitate it here as their own "great" opinion, or read something that a writer said just to get clicks and latch onto it as if it was their idea. Then when it is brought up later they are just sitting there licking the bus window because they forgot all about it since they never put any thought into it in the first place.

30 seconds of thought before you start typing. Rocket science
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,419
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Penguins post-season injuries

Postby Inkio on Sun May 13, 2018 8:10 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
Great58 wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:I'd love to see the Pens start next season with the below forward lines.

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
JVR - Malkin - Kessel
Hagelin - Brassard - Sprong
ZAR/Kuhnhackl- Sheahan - Rust


So basically make one move... get JVR and that is the only change you would make to the team?

And apparently get rid of all the defensemen. ;)


JVR and Sprong in the lineup would be two changes.


That's if the Pens aren't on his 10 team no trade list. He is a 4.25M cap hit. So it would be doable.
Inkio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:39 pm

Re: Penguins post-season injuries

Postby pens_CT on Sun May 13, 2018 8:38 am

Inkio wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
Great58 wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:I'd love to see the Pens start next season with the below forward lines.

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
JVR - Malkin - Kessel
Hagelin - Brassard - Sprong
ZAR/Kuhnhackl- Sheahan - Rust


So basically make one move... get JVR and that is the only change you would make to the team?

And apparently get rid of all the defensemen. ;)


JVR and Sprong in the lineup would be two changes.


That's if the Pens aren't on his 10 team no trade list. He is a 4.25M cap hit. So it would be doable.


JVR is a UFA, and if the Pens want to sign him it's going to cost probably in the 6 million /yr range on a long term deal.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,431
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: Penguins post-season injuries

Postby pronovost19 on Sun May 13, 2018 5:22 pm

Phil will be dealt in the off season.
Phil had some body language issues in the playoffs.
I found GMJR comment (be here longer than you) to be cocky and self-serving. His comment about us having players that other teams will want is intriguing.
I think if Phil is dealt, it will be for a defenseman that can help shore up the back line.

We need help on defense. It is our most glaring need.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,173
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:22 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Penguins post-season injuries

Postby Daniel on Sun May 13, 2018 6:10 pm

pronovost19 wrote:Phil will be dealt in the off season.
Phil had some body language issues in the playoffs.


I think this is a situation where not playing Sprong enough to see what the team has was a bad thing. If they trade Phil, they'll need to replace the offense he brings. Do they gamble on Sprong? Hope ZAR can score in the top 6? Someone else we haven't thought of? I don't disagree with trading Phil (I don't want to see that, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if it happens, just looking at his loss compared to what he brings in.

pronovost19 wrote:I found GMJR comment (be here longer than you) to be cocky and self-serving. His comment about us having players that other teams will want is intriguing.


I think it was more of him being tired of being asked that over and over and over again. It might have been self serving, but I think it was mostly sarcastic.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,051
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:10 pm
Location: Fort Worth

Re: Penguins post-season injuries

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun May 13, 2018 6:45 pm

Daniel wrote:
pronovost19 wrote:Phil will be dealt in the off season.
Phil had some body language issues in the playoffs.


I think this is a situation where not playing Sprong enough to see what the team has was a bad thing. If they trade Phil, they'll need to replace the offense he brings. Do they gamble on Sprong? Hope ZAR can score in the top 6? Someone else we haven't thought of? I don't disagree with trading Phil (I don't want to see that, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if it happens, just looking at his loss compared to what he brings in.

pronovost19 wrote:I found GMJR comment (be here longer than you) to be cocky and self-serving. His comment about us having players that other teams will want is intriguing.


I think it was more of him being tired of being asked that over and over and over again. It might have been self serving, but I think it was mostly sarcastic.


Not playing Sprong when the team was struggling to score was mind boggling.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,014
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: Penguins post-season injuries

Postby pronovost19 on Sun May 13, 2018 7:06 pm

Daniel wrote:
pronovost19 wrote:Phil will be dealt in the off season.
Phil had some body language issues in the playoffs.


I think this is a situation where not playing Sprong enough to see what the team has was a bad thing. If they trade Phil, they'll need to replace the offense he brings. Do they gamble on Sprong? Hope ZAR can score in the top 6? Someone else we haven't thought of? I don't disagree with trading Phil (I don't want to see that, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if it happens, just looking at his loss compared to what he brings in.

pronovost19 wrote:I found GMJR comment (be here longer than you) to be cocky and self-serving. His comment about us having players that other teams will want is intriguing.


I think it was more of him being tired of being asked that over and over and over again. It might have been self serving, but I think it was mostly sarcastic.



It is not an issue of wanting Phil gone for me. I just kinda see the writing on the wall. Maybe I am just paranoid or whatever, but I think the body language in the postseason was pretty telling.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,173
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:22 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Penguins post-season injuries

Postby Daniel on Sun May 13, 2018 7:08 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
Daniel wrote:
pronovost19 wrote:Phil will be dealt in the off season.
Phil had some body language issues in the playoffs.


I think this is a situation where not playing Sprong enough to see what the team has was a bad thing. If they trade Phil, they'll need to replace the offense he brings. Do they gamble on Sprong? Hope ZAR can score in the top 6? Someone else we haven't thought of? I don't disagree with trading Phil (I don't want to see that, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if it happens, just looking at his loss compared to what he brings in.

pronovost19 wrote:I found GMJR comment (be here longer than you) to be cocky and self-serving. His comment about us having players that other teams will want is intriguing.


I think it was more of him being tired of being asked that over and over and over again. It might have been self serving, but I think it was mostly sarcastic.


Not playing Sprong when the team was struggling to score was mind boggling.


Not playing Sprong and letting an obviously injured Kessel sit for a bit was even more mind boggling. I think the iron man streak doomed the season. We've discussed Murray, not great defense, etc, but the games were close enough that a goal here or there by Phil (or a PP assist when he could barely hold the puck) was likely the difference between out in the 2nd round and going who knows how much further.
Last edited by Daniel on Sun May 13, 2018 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,051
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:10 pm
Location: Fort Worth

Re: Penguins post-season injuries

Postby Daniel on Sun May 13, 2018 7:09 pm

pronovost19 wrote:
Daniel wrote:
pronovost19 wrote:Phil will be dealt in the off season.
Phil had some body language issues in the playoffs.


I think this is a situation where not playing Sprong enough to see what the team has was a bad thing. If they trade Phil, they'll need to replace the offense he brings. Do they gamble on Sprong? Hope ZAR can score in the top 6? Someone else we haven't thought of? I don't disagree with trading Phil (I don't want to see that, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if it happens, just looking at his loss compared to what he brings in.

pronovost19 wrote:I found GMJR comment (be here longer than you) to be cocky and self-serving. His comment about us having players that other teams will want is intriguing.


I think it was more of him being tired of being asked that over and over and over again. It might have been self serving, but I think it was mostly sarcastic.



It is not an issue of wanting Phil gone for me. I just kinda see the writing on the wall. Maybe I am just paranoid or whatever, but I think the body language in the postseason was pretty telling.


Maybe, I'm hoping it was more about Phil being hurt than anything behind the scenes. I think he's a pretty good with Pittsburgh, BUT, he is a pretty quirky dude and I think with Tocchet gone, Sullivan got full throttle Phil. Maybe next season Recchi (or his replacement) can take some of that the way Tocchet did.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,051
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:10 pm
Location: Fort Worth

Re: Penguins post-season injuries

Postby pronovost19 on Sun May 13, 2018 7:11 pm

Yeah, the truth is that Tocchet had a way of being the good cop to sullys bad cop. Maybe reckin ball not versed at being good cop.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,173
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:22 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Penguins post-season injuries

Postby Daniel on Sun May 13, 2018 7:14 pm

pronovost19 wrote:Yeah, the truth is that Tocchet had a way of being the good cop to sullys bad cop. Maybe reckin ball not versed at being good cop.


Oh I totally agree and I think Tocchet also kept Sullivan away from a lot of Kessel's quirky behavior. Maybe Recchi and Kessel can grow into that kind of relationship, because it appears Sullivan isn't a very tolerant coach.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,051
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:10 pm
Location: Fort Worth

Re: Penguins post-season injuries

Postby FLPensFan on Sun May 13, 2018 7:15 pm

pronovost19 wrote:Phil will be dealt in the off season.
Phil had some body language issues in the playoffs.
I found GMJR comment (be here longer than you) to be cocky and self-serving. His comment about us having players that other teams will want is intriguing.
I think if Phil is dealt, it will be for a defenseman that can help shore up the back line.

We need help on defense. It is our most glaring need.

Let me ask you this. Let's pretend Letang played better this post-season, or assume that he plays better and up to his capabilities next season. The defense needs an upgrade where?

I see us needing an upgrade to the 3rd pairing, and that's really about it. I think it is more about guys playing to their ability rather than needing upgrades.
-- Dumoulin was phenomenal the entire playoffs. The Penguins best and most consistent defenseman. He really established himself as a solid #2 d-man.
-- Maatta was greatly improved this season, and was on-ice for the for only 3 5on5 goals against (as well as 3 PP goals against)
-- Schultz play has probably had the biggest drop-off after Letang. I think a big part of that is Letang taking some of the minutes he used to get. He needs to improve next season.
-- Oleksiak was a good find, and I think with a full training camp under his belt, he will be a solid 4/5 defenseman, playing on the Penguins 3rd line. He's Ian Cole's replacement, and checks most of the boxes Cole did (plays both sides, physical, PK guy).
-- Ruhwedel improved his play. I'd still be hesitant to use him as the #6 all season, but I have full faith in him to fill in for injured guys when needed.

Letang and Schultz need to regain their form. Get a solid bottom pairing guy to go with Oleksiak, and the team is set. I don't see the need for huge changes on defense.....guys just need to play to the levels they have in the past.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,505
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Penguins post-season injuries

Postby pronovost19 on Sun May 13, 2018 7:19 pm

Daniel wrote:
pronovost19 wrote:Yeah, the truth is that Tocchet had a way of being the good cop to sullys bad cop. Maybe reckin ball not versed at being good cop.


Oh I totally agree and I think Tocchet also kept Sullivan away from a lot of Kessel's quirky behavior. Maybe Recchi and Kessel can grow into that kind of relationship, because it appears Sullivan isn't a very tolerant coach.


Well if Recchi feels the same way ablut Kessel's behavior as Sully does then that is not going to change and Phil may be dealt. I know I felt the same way last year that Phil may be dealt last summer. It turned out I was wrong. But after seeing the behavior on the bench, coupled with Phil jetting town before speaking to the press, and adding JR comment "we have players other teams are going to want" I have returned to the same feeling I had last year.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,173
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:22 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Penguins post-season injuries

Postby Daniel on Sun May 13, 2018 7:23 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
pronovost19 wrote:Phil will be dealt in the off season.
Phil had some body language issues in the playoffs.
I found GMJR comment (be here longer than you) to be cocky and self-serving. His comment about us having players that other teams will want is intriguing.
I think if Phil is dealt, it will be for a defenseman that can help shore up the back line.

We need help on defense. It is our most glaring need.

Let me ask you this. Let's pretend Letang played better this post-season, or assume that he plays better and up to his capabilities next season. The defense needs an upgrade where?

I see us needing an upgrade to the 3rd pairing, and that's really about it. I think it is more about guys playing to their ability rather than needing upgrades.
-- Dumoulin was phenomenal the entire playoffs. The Penguins best and most consistent defenseman. He really established himself as a solid #2 d-man.
-- Maatta was greatly improved this season, and was on-ice for the for only 3 5on5 goals against (as well as 3 PP goals against)
-- Schultz play has probably had the biggest drop-off after Letang. I think a big part of that is Letang taking some of the minutes he used to get. He needs to improve next season.
-- Oleksiak was a good find, and I think with a full training camp under his belt, he will be a solid 4/5 defenseman, playing on the Penguins 3rd line. He's Ian Cole's replacement, and checks most of the boxes Cole did (plays both sides, physical, PK guy).
-- Ruhwedel improved his play. I'd still be hesitant to use him as the #6 all season, but I have full faith in him to fill in for injured guys when needed.

Letang and Schultz need to regain their form. Get a solid bottom pairing guy to go with Oleksiak, and the team is set. I don't see the need for huge changes on defense.....guys just need to play to the levels they have in the past.


Depth. Look at that depth chart, beyond Dumoulin, Letang, Maatta, Schultz, Oleksiak, what NHL talent is there (I'd like to say Hunwick, but I think he'll be gone)? Ruhwedel is fine, but he's a depth guy good for what 40-50 games a year. I don't think he can handle a full 82 game season.

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/depthchart/Pit

Below is the group that will likely be added to WBS roster, but who advanced to the NHL for depth or to push for the 6th spot?

Dane Birks
Niclas Almari
Zackary Lauzon
Connor Hall
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,051
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:10 pm
Location: Fort Worth

Re: Penguins post-season injuries

Postby Daniel on Sun May 13, 2018 7:25 pm

pronovost19 wrote:
Daniel wrote:
pronovost19 wrote:Yeah, the truth is that Tocchet had a way of being the good cop to sullys bad cop. Maybe reckin ball not versed at being good cop.


Oh I totally agree and I think Tocchet also kept Sullivan away from a lot of Kessel's quirky behavior. Maybe Recchi and Kessel can grow into that kind of relationship, because it appears Sullivan isn't a very tolerant coach.


Well if Recchi feels the same way ablut Kessel's behavior as Sully does then that is not going to change and Phil may be dealt. I know I felt the same way last year that Phil may be dealt last summer. It turned out I was wrong. But after seeing the behavior on the bench, coupled with Phil jetting town before speaking to the press, and adding JR comment "we have players other teams are going to want" I have returned to the same feeling I had last year.


Very good point about Recchi, which would be a shame since I think teams need differing tactics for the coaches. I like Phil, he's funny as hell and seems to be a good fit for the team. It would be a shame if he left, but I'm starting to lean towards your point of view with this.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,051
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:10 pm
Location: Fort Worth

Re: Penguins post-season injuries

Postby pronovost19 on Sun May 13, 2018 7:25 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
pronovost19 wrote:Phil will be dealt in the off season.
Phil had some body language issues in the playoffs.
I found GMJR comment (be here longer than you) to be cocky and self-serving. His comment about us having players that other teams will want is intriguing.
I think if Phil is dealt, it will be for a defenseman that can help shore up the back line.

We need help on defense. It is our most glaring need.

Let me ask you this. Let's pretend Letang played better this post-season, or assume that he plays better and up to his capabilities next season. The defense needs an upgrade where?

I see us needing an upgrade to the 3rd pairing, and that's really about it. I think it is more about guys playing to their ability rather than needing upgrades.
-- Dumoulin was phenomenal the entire playoffs. The Penguins best and most consistent defenseman. He really established himself as a solid #2 d-man.
-- Maatta was greatly improved this season, and was on-ice for the for only 3 5on5 goals against (as well as 3 PP goals against)
-- Schultz play has probably had the biggest drop-off after Letang. I think a big part of that is Letang taking some of the minutes he used to get. He needs to improve next season.
-- Oleksiak was a good find, and I think with a full training camp under his belt, he will be a solid 4/5 defenseman, playing on the Penguins 3rd line. He's Ian Cole's replacement, and checks most of the boxes Cole did (plays both sides, physical, PK guy).
-- Ruhwedel improved his play. I'd still be hesitant to use him as the #6 all season, but I have full faith in him to fill in for injured guys when needed.

Letang and Schultz need to regain their form. Get a solid bottom pairing guy to go with Oleksiak, and the team is set. I don't see the need for huge changes on defense.....guys just need to play to the levels they have in the past.


Need to be 7 deep because people get hurt in the playoffs. Ijust don't see the Pens dealing Letang. Remember people thought Crosby was done the year Sully took over. He was playing real bad. The other thing about the Letang issue is to see how the Caps kinda got better thru subtraction. They lost Alzner and Schmidt but somehow were okay at defense again this year. I agree that we need at least one or two more dmen that are 5/6 type guys that are better than Ruhwedel and Hunwick. As far as Letang goes, he needs to simplify his game. He needs to go back to playing controlled game. He can do it. Sometimes the fact that Sully allows his guys to free lance because he knows feel is important can backfire with a guy like Letang.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,173
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:22 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Penguins post-season injuries

Postby pronovost19 on Sun May 13, 2018 7:32 pm

Now, if those who say Letang may be dealt to the Habs...would there be any way to get Petry and Patches in return? What would we have to give?

Sometimes addition through subtraction is about the chemistry experiment.

Heck, even I am grasping at straws now. What an idiot I am.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,173
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:22 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Penguins post-season injuries

Postby Daniel on Sun May 13, 2018 7:38 pm

pronovost19 wrote:Ijust don't see the Pens dealing Letang. Remember people thought Crosby was done the year Sully took over. He was playing real bad. The other thing about the Letang issue is to see how the Caps kinda got better thru subtraction. They lost Alzner and Schmidt but somehow were okay at defense again this year. I agree that we need at least one or two more dmen that are 5/6 type guys that are better than Ruhwedel and Hunwick. As far as Letang goes, he needs to simplify his game. He needs to go back to playing controlled game. He can do it. Sometimes the fact that Sully allows his guys to free lance because he knows feel is important can backfire with a guy like Letang.


The difference between Crosby and Letang is that Crosby seemed to be channeling Jagr's "dying alive" during the Johnston era. You could see it in his demeanor.

Letang is different. He doesn't seem to be coachable. Seems to have no chemistry with the team at all. When he's on the ice, it's like 4 on 5 plus Letang and who knows which side Letang is playing for. I know a lot of that is him trying to do too much, but he seemed to be a meathead with little hockey sense.

I get the random unforced errors, or mental mistakes, that isn't unusual in sports at all, but Letang seems to do that quite often and at the most inopportune times. The trying goal (I think it was the tying goal) vs. Washington when he let a 2 on 2 become a breakway because he went to Dumoulin's side to double team Dumoulin's guy. Constantly shooting into the shin pads of guys who didn't move to get in the way. I get blocked shots, players are good at them, but shooting into the shin pad of a guy 3 feet in front of you?

I would love to see Letang play as good as we know he can (heck, he was great vs. the Flyers), but he's been in this league far too long to be having some of the mental lapses that he has.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,051
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:10 pm
Location: Fort Worth

Re: Penguins post-season injuries

Postby pronovost19 on Sun May 13, 2018 7:42 pm

Daniel wrote:
pronovost19 wrote:Ijust don't see the Pens dealing Letang. Remember people thought Crosby was done the year Sully took over. He was playing real bad. The other thing about the Letang issue is to see how the Caps kinda got better thru subtraction. They lost Alzner and Schmidt but somehow were okay at defense again this year. I agree that we need at least one or two more dmen that are 5/6 type guys that are better than Ruhwedel and Hunwick. As far as Letang goes, he needs to simplify his game. He needs to go back to playing controlled game. He can do it. Sometimes the fact that Sully allows his guys to free lance because he knows feel is important can backfire with a guy like Letang.


The difference between Crosby and Letang is that Crosby seemed to be channeling Jagr's "dying alive" during the Johnston era. You could see it in his demeanor.

Letang is different. He doesn't seem to be coachable. Seems to have no chemistry with the team at all. When he's on the ice, it's like 4 on 5 plus Letang and who knows which side Letang is playing for. I know a lot of that is him trying to do too much, but he seemed to be a meathead with little hockey sense.

I get the random unforced errors, or mental mistakes, that isn't unusual in sports at all, but Letang seems to do that quite often and at the most inopportune times. The trying goal (I think it was the tying goal) vs. Washington when he let a 2 on 2 become a breakway because he went to Dumoulin's side to double team Dumoulin's guy. Constantly shooting into the shin pads of guys who didn't move to get in the way. I get blocked shots, players are good at them, but shooting into the shin pad of a guy 3 feet in front of you?

I would love to see Letang play as good as we know he can (heck, he was great vs. the Flyers), but he's been in this league far too long to be having some of the mental lapses that he has.


True, but it would really suck if we dealt him and he ended Naslunding it up somewhere else. Heck who knows, maybe it is what HE needs. Okelsiak and Niskanen needed changes and Schultz needed out of Edmonton. Sheahan a different player in Pittsburgh. Sometimes that change in scenery is what. guy needs.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,173
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:22 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Penguins post-season injuries

Postby Daniel on Sun May 13, 2018 7:42 pm

pronovost19 wrote:Now, if those who say Letang may be dealt to the Habs...would there be any way to get Petry and Patches in return? What would we have to give?

Sometimes addition through subtraction is about the chemistry experiment.

Heck, even I am grasping at straws now. What an idiot I am.


I think the first thing to look at when discussing a team you trade Letang to is who has the bad contract.....Shea Weber comes to mind from Montreal.

In another thread, I did lay out why Letang would be a good fit for Carolina.

New owner, GM, coach for a franchise that is notorious for being a budget team. I know they have some good defensive prospects, but Letang would be a splash move to tell the fans the team is trying to win and win now. If they get a guy like Letang, you can bring in a 3 time cup winner from a winning franchise.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,051
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:10 pm
Location: Fort Worth

Re: Penguins post-season injuries

Postby pronovost19 on Sun May 13, 2018 7:51 pm

Daniel wrote:
pronovost19 wrote:Now, if those who say Letang may be dealt to the Habs...would there be any way to get Petry and Patches in return? What would we have to give?

Sometimes addition through subtraction is about the chemistry experiment.

Heck, even I am grasping at straws now. What an idiot I am.


I think the first thing to look at when discussing a team you trade Letang to is who has the bad contract.....Shea Weber comes to mind from Montreal.

In another thread, I did lay out why Letang would be a good fit for Carolina.

New owner, GM, coach for a franchise that is notorious for being a budget team. I know they have some good defensive prospects, but Letang would be a splash move to tell the fans the team is trying to win and win now. If they get a guy like Letang, you can bring in a 3 time cup winner from a winning franchise.


Tons of young defensemen on that team that have potential. I do get to see them play a bit because I live in Raleigh.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,173
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:22 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Penguins post-season injuries

Postby Daniel on Sun May 13, 2018 8:03 pm

pronovost19 wrote:
Daniel wrote:
pronovost19 wrote:Now, if those who say Letang may be dealt to the Habs...would there be any way to get Petry and Patches in return? What would we have to give?

Sometimes addition through subtraction is about the chemistry experiment.

Heck, even I am grasping at straws now. What an idiot I am.


I think the first thing to look at when discussing a team you trade Letang to is who has the bad contract.....Shea Weber comes to mind from Montreal.

In another thread, I did lay out why Letang would be a good fit for Carolina.

New owner, GM, coach for a franchise that is notorious for being a budget team. I know they have some good defensive prospects, but Letang would be a splash move to tell the fans the team is trying to win and win now. If they get a guy like Letang, you can bring in a 3 time cup winner from a winning franchise.


Tons of young defensemen on that team that have potential. I do get to see them play a bit because I live in Raleigh.


Enough that are close to not do a trade for Letang? I only suggested it because it would be a big move that would energize the city (we're bringing in a high priced, top defensemen with 3 Stanley Cup rings). But if Carolina, and fan base, are good with the pace they've been going, good for them.

As a fan, I'd rather build from within than block youth by bringing in high price guys, but I also don't buy tickets (live in Dallas) or would be the fan that a splash move would target.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,051
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:10 pm
Location: Fort Worth

Re: Penguins post-season injuries

Postby Jim on Mon May 14, 2018 7:47 am

Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
pronovost19 wrote:We need help on defense. It is our most glaring need.

The defense needs an upgrade where?

Depth.


If "depth" is the answer to the "most glaring need" then apparently the team is in excellent condition overall.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,419
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Penguins post-season injuries

Postby FLPensFan on Mon May 14, 2018 10:03 am

Jim wrote:
Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
pronovost19 wrote:We need help on defense. It is our most glaring need.

The defense needs an upgrade where?

Depth.


If "depth" is the answer to the "most glaring need" then apparently the team is in excellent condition overall.

Agreed. I'm fine with acquiring depth, it is needed. Some others seem to imply that we need big changes in the top 4....which I don't really see.

Part of Pittsburgh's problem is, they aren't giving guys any shot, even with injuries. The Penguins had only 10 defenseman play games for them this year:

Regulars: Letang, Dumoulin, Maatta, Schultz, Hunwick
Traded for: Oleksiak
Traded away: Cole

Extras: Ruhwedel, Trotman, Corrado

Pedan was recalled but never played. Word is he will not resign here (he is RFA) and is going to KHL.
Bengtsson has been high on some people's list for awhile. His injuries/disease has set him back a bit, but he never got a shot. There is some discussion he may go back to Sweden.
Ethan Prow was supposedly a big college UFA coup when we got him. Still hasn't gotten a callup.

Tinordi, Summers, and Czuczman were also down there in the minors.

They also had Jeff Taylor, who was getting a lot of hype coming into this season as possibly making the NHL club.

The Penguins have a lot of depth. There are reasons these guys are "depth" though. You aren't going to be stashing an Ian Cole level player in the minors for extra depth. Corrado, Pedan, Tinordi, Trotman, Summers, and Czuczman were all guys that had played a handful of NHL games somewhere. You either have to go with these type of guys, or draft/acquire some defenseman that have some high upside.

But, the lack of playing time/chances is driving some of these guys to look elsewhere. Penguins need to start rewarding some of these guys like Bengtsson, Prow, and Taylor with some NHL games, or they are going to move on and find somewhere else they can play.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,505
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Penguins post-season injuries

Postby pronovost19 on Mon May 14, 2018 10:30 am

Daniel wrote:
pronovost19 wrote:
Daniel wrote:
pronovost19 wrote:Now, if those who say Letang may be dealt to the Habs...would there be any way to get Petry and Patches in return? What would we have to give?

Sometimes addition through subtraction is about the chemistry experiment.

Heck, even I am grasping at straws now. What an idiot I am.


I think the first thing to look at when discussing a team you trade Letang to is who has the bad contract.....Shea Weber comes to mind from Montreal.

In another thread, I did lay out why Letang would be a good fit for Carolina.

New owner, GM, coach for a franchise that is notorious for being a budget team. I know they have some good defensive prospects, but Letang would be a splash move to tell the fans the team is trying to win and win now. If they get a guy like Letang, you can bring in a 3 time cup winner from a winning franchise.


Tons of young defensemen on that team that have potential. I do get to see them play a bit because I live in Raleigh.


Enough that are close to not do a trade for Letang? I only suggested it because it would be a big move that would energize the city (we're bringing in a high priced, top defensemen with 3 Stanley Cup rings). But if Carolina, and fan base, are good with the pace they've been going, good for them.

As a fan, I'd rather build from within than block youth by bringing in high price guys, but I also don't buy tickets (live in Dallas) or would be the fan that a splash move would target.


In fact, I even saw someone around the deadline say that they would love to see TVR in a Penguins uniform. I believe it was the same person who said Cam Ward could have been taken on the cheap because he wants out of Carolina.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,173
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:22 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests


cron
e-mail