A little consolation?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

A little consolation?

Postby Weegie on Mon May 14, 2018 10:24 am

The Caps are really pushing the Bolts around like a shopping cart at the grocery store, Pens gave them much more fight than they are so far. Maybe it is matchups, maybe the Caps are inspired since they finally got past their nemesis, but it is a little consolation to know the Pens hung in there closer than the Bolts are, didn't see this one coming I don't think anyone did. It doesn't change anything but at least we didn't get whacked like Tampa is so far!
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: A little consolation?

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon May 14, 2018 10:35 am

It actually makes it worse for me. Now that I see the Bolts are this weak, we could have made it to the finals again this year. Also, with Nashville out, sheesh.... a three-peat was even closer than I thought.

#ThanksLetang -- just kidding -- kind of.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Weegie on Mon May 14, 2018 10:59 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:It actually makes it worse for me. Now that I see the Bolts are this weak, we could have made it to the finals again this year. Also, with Nashville out, sheesh.... a three-peat was even closer than I thought.

#ThanksLetang -- just kidding -- kind of.

I was thinking this same thing too, the flip side of the coin......had they made it past the Caps perhaps they could've gone all the way again, but we'll never know I guess.

Sigh......
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Mon May 14, 2018 11:13 am

"We had a chance," Crosby would tell me as that skate was peeled off. "We could have done it again."

The captain knew.

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2018 ... -capitals/

Next year- make adjustments when the most dominate feature of the team, scoring, is not happening.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: “Some people are so much sunshine to the square inch.” ~WW

Postby Weegie on Mon May 14, 2018 11:34 am

I'll always wonder if Kuhnackl's overtime post shot would've went in, could they have won that 7th game in Washington?

Again, sigh........
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby no name on Mon May 14, 2018 11:42 am

From watching it, Holtby vs Vasilevkiy is the mismatch. The Vas looks lost at times.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pronovost19 on Mon May 14, 2018 11:50 am

The Capitals have learned to play like a team. They always could do it in the regular season but evaporated under the pressure of the playoffs. This year, for whatever reason, they have buried the "me" and adopted the team game. It shows in their play and their attitude. It shows in their demeanor on the ice. They are playing for each other and not themselves or their stats. It took Oven-chicken this long to learn that a team game is what wins these things. Ironically enough, the Capitals management and organization waylay-ed and allowed the Great8 to be the show instead of preaching a team game.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Great58 on Mon May 14, 2018 12:01 pm

No fear, Winnipeg will shut down the Caps should they get that far.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Mon May 14, 2018 12:33 pm

Great58 wrote:No fear, Winnipeg will shut down the Caps should they get that far.

Agree with this, Winnipeg looks dominate so far. I still can't count VGK or TB out of it yet.

On a side note, T. Wilson won't make it to the end of the playoffs without another suspension. He plays like a loose canon. He totally bowled over Vas last night, he was lucky to get back up.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Antonio on Mon May 14, 2018 1:31 pm

Them winning just makes me sick. They barely beat us and really shouldn't have. I hate seeing that classless team of savages be rewarded in any way.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Mon May 14, 2018 4:36 pm

It doesn't make me feel any better. Generally, I like to see the Caps (and Flyers) lose every series regardless of who they're playing or whether they beat the Pens prior to that.

Then considering this specific case, it's annoying because I don't feel like this specific Caps team is all that good. I wouldn't say the Pens should have won the series, but they definitely could have, even with no secondary scoring, Letang brainfarts, Murray softies, etc., if a couple bounces and calls go the other way. It'd be frustrating thinking that the Pens could have had a real shot if they had gotten out of last round.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Mon May 14, 2018 5:10 pm

I would wait to see how it plays out. Caps fans were ready to trade Ovechkin and blow it up when they went down 2-0 to the Jackets - now they are expecting to win a cup in a few weeks. I think they'll be wrong both times.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby djlm on Mon May 14, 2018 5:37 pm

! the caps.

I hate this "Ovie deserves his cup" crap. The cup is earned, not deserved.
djlm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon May 14, 2018 6:33 pm

Guilty pleasure : watching Orpik lose.

He is not an ex-penguin I will ever cheer for.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby stonewizard51 on Mon May 14, 2018 7:40 pm

djlm wrote:! the caps.

Exactly
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Mon May 14, 2018 11:10 pm

I thought I would hate seeing the Caps win, I really did. But for some reason, I'm okay with what they are doing.

To say that if the Pens would have gotten past them, they would have had the same success against Tampa as Washington is silly. You never know how each matchup is going to go. And to say they would have a n easy road to a 3-peat is even more silly. Have you watch Winnipeg play? DAMN!

I think more fans than want to admit it knew these Pens were out of gas and had run their course. Pens will rest and reload for next year and be right back at it.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Mon May 14, 2018 11:11 pm

Well, he's earning it now. Isn't he?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IntangibleBeer on Tue May 15, 2018 9:36 am

pronovost19 wrote:The Capitals have learned to play like a team. They always could do it in the regular season but evaporated under the pressure of the playoffs. This year, for whatever reason, they have buried the "me" and adopted the team game. It shows in their play and their attitude. It shows in their demeanor on the ice. They are playing for each other and not themselves or their stats. It took Oven-chicken this long to learn that a team game is what wins these things. Ironically enough, the Capitals management and organization waylay-ed and allowed the Great8 to be the show instead of preaching a team game.

I totally agree with this assessment. Over the years, the Caps biggest problem has been their ownership and management. The Pens only won their first cup in 1991 when they brought in a first-rate management structure.

Having said that, I am somewhat surprised at Tampa's inability to beat Washington. As talent laden as they are, the Bolts should take the series. Unfortunately, they look "soff" :lol: . I think the Caps make the SC Finals.

However, either Vegas (who took it to the Jets last night) or Winnipeg will hoist Lord Stanley's Cup this year. I would love to see Fleury win another Cup. I am truly happy for him and what he's accomplished. :fist:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Faubert5 on Tue May 15, 2018 10:22 am

That's how things are done in DC in general - why not hockey too? Hell, if you can get a nomination to run for president because "it's your turn" then why not a Stanley Cup?
Faubert5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Postby Badger Bob on Wed May 16, 2018 9:45 am

Well, I see that Tom Wilson got smacked in the noggin by Anton Stralman last night in Game 3 of that series.

Here's what Wilson had to say about the hit:

"I'm not here to complain about anything. I'm just talking about it for the better of the game and for the better of player safety,"

What a jagoff. He must have been feeling the affects of getting hit in the head. Then again, I'm not sure you can damage a cement head.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed May 16, 2018 10:12 am

I really hope TB has found their game and rattle off 3 more wins.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Badger Bob on Wed May 16, 2018 10:15 am

I'm conflicted. I've been leaning toward wanting to see the Caps make it to the Finals against the Golden Knights and MAF just owning them again. That would be pretty awesome. Then again, the closer they get to the cup, the more nervous I feel. So part of me wants them to pull a Caps choke job this round.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed May 16, 2018 10:17 am

Badger Bob wrote:I'm conflicted. I've been leaning toward wanting to see the Caps make it to the Finals against the Golden Knights and MAF just owning them again. That would be pretty awesome. Then again, the closer they get to the cup, the more nervous I feel. So part of me wants them to pull a Caps choke job this round.

Take pleasure in seeing Kunitz eliminate them again. Good enough for me.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby largegarlic on Wed May 16, 2018 11:08 am

Badger Bob wrote:Well, I see that Tom Wilson got smacked in the noggin by Anton Stralman last night in Game 3 of that series.

Here's what Wilson had to say about the hit:

"I'm not here to complain about anything. I'm just talking about it for the better of the game and for the better of player safety,"

What a jagoff. He must have been feeling the affects of getting hit in the head. Then again, I'm not sure you can damage a cement head.

He's the worst. He should at least own up to being a scumbag. When they interviewed Marchand about one of his licking incidents, he pretty much just said, "Yeah, I licked a guy after he gave me a couple face washes with his glove. That's just how I roll. What are you going to do about it?" At least that's honest.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Badger Bob on Wed May 16, 2018 12:18 pm

Wilson is all about public denial. Always trying to justify his own actions. IMO, Trotz loves his style of dirty play and probably encourages it to some degree.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins