Ryan Reaves cites line matchups and trust issues w/Penguins

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Ryan Reaves cites line matchups and trust issues w/Penguins

Postby FLPensFan on Thu May 17, 2018 3:22 pm

Jason Mackey is out covering Vegas hockey, and interviewed Ryan Reaves today. http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2018/05/17/Ryan-Reaves-reflects-on-his-brief-stint-with-Penguins/stories/201805170166

Will put some of the quotes below, but in a nutshell, Reaves said he wasn't happy in Pittsburgh, and that his ice time was so low that it never allowed him to get to his game. Was hard to get his legs into it when sitting for long periods of time. Says Penguins/Sullivan were much more into line matchups, which led to him getting much less ice time than usual. Essentially, the Penguins misused him. In Vegas, he is being used very similar to how he was in STL, and he is effective.

“It’s tough doing that with three minutes,” Reaves said. “[Vegas coach Gerard Gallant] allows me to play a little bit more here. He rolls the lines. He doesn’t necessarily worry about the matchup so much. It definitely helps me. It keeps me in the game, and it keeps my legs in it. It allows me to do my thing.”

“A little more line matching,” Reaves said of his time in Pittsburgh. “There were some games where I was out there for 3-4 minutes. It’s tough to do anything with that.”

In discussing his lack of fit with the Penguins, Reaves said how he’s used now, with Vegas, is similar to what he experienced with the Blues.

“[Gallant] trusts us,” Reaves said. “We were getting some shifts against Wheeler, a couple against Laine. He doesn’t call us off the ice. He lets us play. I think he trusts us. It’s a little more similar to what I was doing in St. Louis.”
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Ryan Reaves cites line matchups and trust issues w/Pengu

Postby KG on Thu May 17, 2018 3:41 pm

I wanted to like Reaves. I liked the acquisition. I thought he was gonna be the next Gary Roberts here.

I blame Sullivan for not using him the right way. Sullivan clearly didn’t want the player. Rutherford and Sully weren’t on the same page with that acquisition.

It could have worked if Sullivan didn’t treat Reaves like Tom Sestito.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Thu May 17, 2018 3:43 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Jason Mackey is out covering Vegas hockey, and interviewed Ryan Reaves today. http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2018/05/17/Ryan-Reaves-reflects-on-his-brief-stint-with-Penguins/stories/201805170166

Will put some of the quotes below, but in a nutshell, Reaves said he wasn't happy in Pittsburgh, and that his ice time was so low that it never allowed him to get to his game. Was hard to get his legs into it when sitting for long periods of time. Says Penguins/Sullivan were much more into line matchups, which led to him getting much less ice time than usual. Essentially, the Penguins misused him. In Vegas, he is being used very similar to how he was in STL, and he is effective.

“It’s tough doing that with three minutes,” Reaves said. “[Vegas coach Gerard Gallant] allows me to play a little bit more here. He rolls the lines. He doesn’t necessarily worry about the matchup so much. It definitely helps me. It keeps me in the game, and it keeps my legs in it. It allows me to do my thing.”

“A little more line matching,” Reaves said of his time in Pittsburgh. “There were some games where I was out there for 3-4 minutes. It’s tough to do anything with that.”

In discussing his lack of fit with the Penguins, Reaves said how he’s used now, with Vegas, is similar to what he experienced with the Blues.

“[Gallant] trusts us,” Reaves said. “We were getting some shifts against Wheeler, a couple against Laine. He doesn’t call us off the ice. He lets us play. I think he trusts us. It’s a little more similar to what I was doing in St. Louis.”

His comments probably feeds the narrative that the decision to trade for Reaves started above the level of Rutherford. I can't see Jim adding a guy that Sullivan had little to no interest in playing.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu May 17, 2018 3:48 pm

KG wrote:I wanted to like Reaves. I liked the acquisition. I thought he was gonna be the next Gary Roberts here.

I blame Sullivan for not using him the right way. Sullivan clearly didn’t want the player. Rutherford and Sully weren’t on the same page with that acquisition.

Agreed. His time with STL showed that he can be an effective 4th line player. I kind of saw the writing on the wall when, after the acquisition of Reaves in the summer, Rutherford talked about even getting him work on the PK......but when the PK sank to one of the worst in the league early on in the season, Reaves STILL never got a chance on the PK.

It was a bad trade that likely came from above Rutherford, but, at the end of the day, all we gave up was 20 spots in the draft and a bust of a prospect, so it wasn't horrible, no matter how bad people want to think it was because Kim Klostin, who the Penguins never were planning to take anyways.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Daniel on Thu May 17, 2018 4:20 pm

FLPensFan wrote:It was a bad trade that likely came from above Rutherford, but, at the end of the day, all we gave up was 20 spots in the draft and a bust of a prospect, so it wasn't horrible, no matter how bad people want to think it was because Kim Klostin, who the Penguins never were planning to take anyways.

I have to admit, I was one of those that didn't like moving down. If the reports are right that the Pens wanted Lauzon at the first round, then who cares. It was Sundqvist for Reaves (essentially Sundqvist for Brassard) so whatever. It wasn't a good trade or a bad trade, it was just another ex Penguin.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Thu May 17, 2018 6:13 pm

KG wrote:I wanted to like Reaves. I liked the acquisition. I thought he was gonna be the next Gary Roberts here.

:thumb:

I completely agree. It appeared GMJR wanted him and Sully didn't. Or Sully grudgingly agreed to the trade and then chose to limit his role. I was a big fan of Reaves.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Thu May 17, 2018 6:22 pm

I wasn't on board with acquiring Reaves. Sundqvist and bumping down in the draft are very meh, as a price though.

Didn't see the need for another RW. And one that couldn't do much offensively to make it worse. Wanted to like him, found that I couldn't. The fourth line being an offensive dead end wasn't his fault, but he didn't exactly remedy it much either. We could've started the season with Simon in his spot and done better. Or at the least there could've been wingers from WBS with a lot more games worth of experience come playoff time. Someone will be along shortly telling me that doesn't matter, I'm sure.

He helped netting us Brassard at a low price. So, eh... *shrug*
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve on Thu May 17, 2018 7:00 pm

Since Reaves is a free agent it would be great for the Pens to bring him back. Pretty much zero chance that happens though unfortunately.

I was and still am a fan, and it's not about the fighting, it's about the hitting and personality. My kids are fans as well. I'm glad at least I was at the game that the Pens brought Willie O'ree in for, and Reaves promised O'ree he would score (or at least have a good game) - and made good on his promise on a nice snipe. (against the Kings). It was the only Pens game I attended this year.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dark_forces on Thu May 17, 2018 7:04 pm

Any chance we make an overture to Ian Cole to return? I doubt it happens, but one can imagine.
dark_forces
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Puck-Lurker on Thu May 17, 2018 8:21 pm

dark_forces wrote:Any chance we make an overture to Ian Cole to return? I doubt it happens, but one can imagine.

I liked Ian on our team, but I'm not sure what role he'd fill here.

We've got Määttä, Dumoulin, Schultz, Letang as our top four (when speaking of defence, in that order, as well). Cole's always been bottom pairing material, a decent #5/6.

That's where we have Oleksiak (nice pickup), Ruhwedel and Hunwick. Ruhwedel isn't half as bad as people think he is -- whereas Hunwick is more than a little problematic. A straight up swap, Hunwick for Cole with salary staying the same I'd take. But that'd leave Cole fighting for #6D. And that's a waste of salary (ahem, Hunwick!)

Cole will never return under Sully. I think he's got "trust issues" as well.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Malkintent on Thu May 17, 2018 8:26 pm

You just answered your own question. He'd be a 5-6 D just like when he was here. The Pens were on fire right before the deadline with Cole/Oleksiak on the bottom pair. Cole >>>>> Ruhwedel and Cole is a left which allows Oleksiak to play on the right where he belongs.
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Postby pronovost19 on Thu May 17, 2018 8:32 pm

wife was a huge fan of Reaves but I was like meh.....when we went to the caps pens game in DC in November Reaves beat the crap out of someone and my wife was ready to get his jersey LOL
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Cow_Master66 on Thu May 17, 2018 10:47 pm

I liked Reaves and thought he had more to give but wasn’t given the chance.

Now I like him more because I never knew he was unhappy, he just dealt with it professionally....
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby flame on Thu May 17, 2018 11:19 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Jason Mackey is out covering Vegas hockey, and interviewed Ryan Reaves today. http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2018/05/17/Ryan-Reaves-reflects-on-his-brief-stint-with-Penguins/stories/201805170166

I met Jason between periods last night. Nice guy, had a great chat about Vegas and fleury. He might use some of my quotes in a piece about pens fans rooting for fleury/Vegas
flame
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Fri May 18, 2018 1:03 am

flame wrote:

I met Jason between periods last night. Nice guy, had a great chat about Vegas and fleury. He might use some of my quotes in a piece about pens fans rooting for fleury/Vegas

FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pekkasteele on Fri May 18, 2018 3:17 am

I think I read somewhere that it was asked by Mario, to bring someone like Reaves in, so, as someone said, it was from above JR to.

I liked him, but, I think the timing for him was wrong to. If we would have had Sheahan and Brassard from the start so he would have had a better center his line would probably be on the ice more? maybe, and he would have found his game here.

Also, I wanted to see him getting PK time and that is on Sully I guess.

But to bad it did not work out but hopefully he can win the cup with Flower now!
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Fri May 18, 2018 7:09 am

Cow_Master66 wrote:I liked Reaves and thought he had more to give but wasn’t given the chance.

Now I like him more because I never knew he was unhappy, he just dealt with it professionally....

Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby stonewizard51 on Fri May 18, 2018 8:57 am

IMHO there were more than a few times during the Caps series when I wished we still had Reaves. I doubt Wilson would have been head hunting had that been the case.
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby OKpensfan247 on Sat May 19, 2018 2:32 pm

I do agree with the individuals saying one player is not going to stop 95-99% of cheap shots or post-whistle antics if the other team is set on conducting such antics because they feel its their one advantage to beat us in a series since they can't compete with our speed or skill, or if its just the type of player they are (Tom Wilson, Dubinsky, etc).

But I think guys like Reaves thrive in a physical series like we faced this year with Washington, possibly CBJ, or possibly BOS. Less space, physicality open up free ice.

And man it would have been fun to have someone take a few clean runs at Wilson and the other Caps players. Even if we had to lose, personally it would have felt better to lost seeing Reaves offer some physicality back at those jokers, so long as Reaves' on-ice performance was not costing us games. Which I do not think he would have.

Guys like Geno and Letang and Horny are always going to play feisty causing other teams to try to take physical shots at us. No "enforcer" will ever stop that for us.

My excitement with Reaves was I thought the guy could really play and contribute with his physicality, cycle game, adequate shot, and adequate top end speed. Much better than guys like Kuhnhackl or Rowney anyway.

Sullivan thought differently. Handled very poorly IMO. As others mentioned, at least try the darn guy on the PK in early season to give him a challenge and see what he can offer. But only play 5 mins a night or less... We gotta move on, and it becomes a positive he was moved. I do think Reaves was capable of producing more for us though with more coach support.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Antonio on Sat May 19, 2018 5:18 pm

I actually liked Reaves and thought he had more skill than we let him show. I think he would have made a solid 4th liner had he played a solid 8 9 minutes a night. However, if you told me moving him would get us brassard for 3m for 2 years, I would've done it in a heartbeat (and anyone who says they wouldn't have without using some degree of hindsight is a liar)
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Mon May 21, 2018 12:55 pm

Reaves has played 25 games with the Knights. Zero fights. Teams play the Penguin differently than they play against other teams. The Pens face dirtier play, opponents take more liberties. Whoever told Rutherford to go out and get a Reaves like player was right. Sullivan is not.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Great58 on Tue May 22, 2018 1:38 pm

FLPensFan wrote:“[Gallant] trusts us,” Reaves said. “We were getting some shifts against Wheeler, a couple against Laine. He doesn’t call us off the ice. He lets us play. I think he trusts us. It’s a little more similar to what I was doing in St. Louis.”

Reaves had been a healthy scratch for the first 9 VGK playoff games, IIRC. So it's nice that he gets 9 minutes when in the lineup, and that he got the WCF-clinching goal, but he's not been 100% trusted in Vegas. Maybe the fourth line as a whole is, but that's where the Vegas advantage comes in, they have way more depth in their fourth line than any team in the league.

What the Pens needed more than anything was scoring outside of Crosby and Guentzel. Brassard gave them way more of a potential in that regard than Reaves ever would have.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Tue May 22, 2018 2:07 pm

The trade was the trade and even though a big Reaves supporter I was fine with him being moved for Brassard. he was traded for a better player and that is the end of that.

The comments are more related to 4th line duties. I don't see the discussion as Reaves vs Brassard. It would have been a Reaves vs Simon/Rowney in the lineup. I would much rather have had Reaves in the lineup against Philly or Washington than Simon or Rowney.

Simon played all 6 games against Washington: 1 assist, -1, 3 shots. Had that been Reaves with those numbers people would be ******** up a storm. Instead, relative crickets. Unlike Simon, Reaves would have brought some physicality and possibly lessened some of the wear and tear from the excessive physicality that Washington brought. As someone that watches Wilson a lot, he does play different when the opposition has someone that he is "afraid" of. Yeah, he is still Wilson, but it is noticeably different.

Vegas took Reaves in the deal because that is who they wanted. Obviously it didn't hurt them on the ice.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby LimerickPensFan on Tue May 22, 2018 2:38 pm

Jim wrote:The trade was the trade and even though a big Reaves supporter I was fine with him being moved for Brassard. he was traded for a better player and that is the end of that.

The comments are more related to 4th line duties. I don't see the discussion as Reaves vs Brassard. It would have been a Reaves vs Simon/Rowney in the lineup. I would much rather have had Reaves in the lineup against Philly or Washington than Simon or Rowney.

Simon played all 6 games against Washington: 1 assist, -1, 3 shots. Had that been Reaves with those numbers people would be ******** up a storm. Instead, relative crickets. Unlike Simon, Reaves would have brought some physicality and possibly lessened some of the wear and tear from the excessive physicality that Washington brought. As someone that watches Wilson a lot, he does play different when the opposition has someone that he is "afraid" of. Yeah, he is still Wilson, but it is noticeably different.

Vegas took Reaves in the deal because that is who they wanted. Obviously it didn't hurt them on the ice.

Wilson was afraid of Oleksiak. At least he backed away from him until there was a ref between them to protect him.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Tue May 22, 2018 2:48 pm

Reaves wouldn't have given Wilson the option to skate away. He wouldn't have 'asked". Just saying.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins