Hope for the future

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Hope for the future

Postby Tonythepenguin on Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:29 am

Does anyone here think..."maybe in time" ...the penz draft AUSTIN LEMIEUX and he could be a force in the league?
Maybe not as dominant as his father but somebody who could potentially be a 25 or 30 goal scorer a season and be the backbone of this team?
Tonythepenguin

Re: Hope for the future

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:34 am

Tonythepenguin wrote:Does anyone here think..."maybe in time" ...the penz draft AUSTIN LEMIEUX and he could be a force in the league?
Maybe not as dominant as his father but somebody who could potentially be a 25 or 30 goal scorer a season and be the backbone of this team?

No. Hard to believe that Austin is already 22. He has some skill, but hasn't really shown enough to think he can be a 20-25 goal scorer in the league. Maybe he'll put up good numbers at Arizona State this year and surprise some people, but the general consensus I have heard is "meh" on Austin.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Daniel on Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:04 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Tonythepenguin wrote:Does anyone here think..."maybe in time" ...the penz draft AUSTIN LEMIEUX and he could be a force in the league?

No. Hard to believe that Austin is already 22. He has some skill, but hasn't really shown enough to think he can be a 20-25 goal scorer in the league. Maybe he'll put up good numbers at Arizona State this year and surprise some people, but the general consensus I have heard is "meh" on Austin.

I also think the worst thing possible is for Austin to come to the Pens. If he is able to carve out a career as a 15 goal scorer/good defensive play on the 3rd line, that would be a nice career anywhere else but Pittsburgh in my opinion.

If he does that for the Kings (for example), they'd love that kind of production.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:11 pm

You wonder if any GM that was going to sign him would call Mario first.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:29 pm

Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

I also think the worst thing possible is for Austin to come to the Pens. If he is able to carve out a career as a 15 goal scorer/good defensive play on the 3rd line, that would be a nice career anywhere else but Pittsburgh in my opinion.

If he does that for the Kings (for example), they'd love that kind of production.

You mean Austin doesn't want to become part of some weird Lemieux triva, such as, who owns the Penguins franchise record for combined points by brothers?

Answer: Mario and Alain Lemieux. Mario scored 1723 regular season points, while Alain added 0, giving them the winning total of 1732 points.
2nd place goes to Kip and Kelly Miller, with 83 points.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Daniel on Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:59 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

You mean Austin doesn't want to become part of some weird Lemieux triva, such as, who owns the Penguins franchise record for combined points by brothers?

Answer: Mario and Alain Lemieux. Mario scored 1723 regular season points, while Alain added 0, giving them the winning total of 1732 points.
2nd place goes to Kip and Kelly Miller, with 83 points.

Of course he would, maybe Mario comes out of retirement for a game with his son (best shape of his life).
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:33 am

Does anyone know which prospects will be making a move to WBS next season? Jordy Bellerive maybe?
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:02 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:Does anyone know which prospects will be making a move to WBS next season? Jordy Bellerive maybe?

https://dobberprospects.com/Table/Prosp ... Prospects/

Jordy Bellerive - Won't be 20 until next May, so don't think so. https://dobberprospects.com/jordy-bellerive/
Kasper Björkqvist - Can't find anything that shows he was signed, but is eligible. https://dobberprospects.com/kasper-bjorkqvist/
Linus Ölund & Anthony Angello were signed to ATO's, so will probably be at WBS next season.
Sam Miletic and Dane Birks signed to a entry level deals.

I'd say the list of prospects going will be Olund, Angello, Miletic, Birks, maybe Bjorqvist.

Can't find anyone else of interest.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:13 pm

Daniel wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:Does anyone know which prospects will be making a move to WBS next season? Jordy Bellerive maybe?

Jordy Bellerive - Won't be 20 until next May, so don't think so. https://dobberprospects.com/jordy-bellerive/
Kasper Björkqvist - Can't find anything that shows he was signed, but is eligible. https://dobberprospects.com/kasper-bjorkqvist/
Linus Ölund & Anthony Angello were signed to ATO's, so will probably be at WBS next season.

I'd say the list of prospects going will be Olund, Angello, Miletic, Birks, maybe Bjorqvist.

Angelo had 2 goals in the playoffs for WBS so I bet he'll stick there for next season.

Niclas Almari is another guy brought back to WBS for a try-out. I didnt watch him play but his numbers didnt look bad for WBS in the playoffs.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:20 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Angelo had 2 goals in the playoffs for WBS so I bet he'll stick there for next season.

Niclas Almari is another guy brought back to WBS for a try-out. I didnt watch him play but his numbers didnt look bad for WBS in the playoffs.

Between Almari and Birks, and Taylor, hopefully the Pens are starting to get some defensive depth in the system.

Still can't understand why they didn't sign Connor Hall, I think that's going to bite them in a few years. He is exactly the type of defenseman the Penguins need.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Badger Bob on Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:57 am

You are a funny man Tony.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:21 pm

Daniel wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Between Almari and Birks, and Taylor, hopefully the Pens are starting to get some defensive depth in the system.

Still can't understand why they didn't sign Connor Hall, I think that's going to bite them in a few years. He is exactly the type of defenseman the Penguins need.

Two shoulder surgeries, and the guy had absolutely no offensive upside what so ever. Guessing they saw enough film on him after drafted that they didn't think he was going to pan out, and/or concern over two shoulder surgeries for a physical defenseman. Maatta is a pretty rare breed of a guy with two shoulder surgeries in a short time span that plays at a high level. Josef Melichar is a good example of a career getting ruined by shoulder surgeries. Melichar was pretty sound, capable of being a solid #4 guy, but after a few surgeries, he literally got to the point where a heavy hit would knock his shoulder out and dislocate it.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Daniel on Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:35 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Two shoulder surgeries, and the guy had absolutely no offensive upside what so ever. Guessing they saw enough film on him after drafted that they didn't think he was going to pan out, and/or concern over two shoulder surgeries for a physical defenseman. Maatta is a pretty rare breed of a guy with two shoulder surgeries in a short time span that plays at a high level. Josef Melichar is a good example of a career getting ruined by shoulder surgeries. Melichar was pretty sound, capable of being a solid #4 guy, but after a few surgeries, he literally got to the point where a heavy hit would knock his shoulder out and dislocate it.

I get all that, and I understand the concerns. If the Pens had depth, no big deal. Unless Almari, Birks, or Taylor can become depth, you let a young depth guy go for nothing and weaken the already slim prospect pool.

You're right, the shoulder issue could be far worse, but if they only bring him in to push someone else, I think it's a risk worth taking. In the end though, it isn't my money to give him so it's a risk to sign and a risk not to sign. We'll just have to see.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Tonythepenguin on Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:58 pm

I wasn't trying to be funny I was just thinking of future prospects and hopes in the next five six seven years that's all and there is another Lemieux out there and I just thought...." hey why not his kid", because it might be a potential bright spot
that's all
Tonythepenguin

Postby Badger Bob on Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:52 am

Sorry. I thought it was done tongue in cheek. If Lemiuex's kid makes it to the NHL level, I'll be amazed. He's 22 years old and didn't even play for Arizona State last season (red shirt freshman). He'll be turning 23 during the season next year. That's getting up there in terms of hockey prospect age. He'll be categorized as a late bloomer, that's for sure if he produces for ASU. BTW, Arizona State is not exactly a D1 powerhouse in hockey either. If he had good potential, he would have been recruited by a better hockey university. That's my opinion fwiw.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby stonewizard51 on Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:35 pm

His best days were in Juniors and he can't go back there. He needs to develop quickly to be considered a major prospect. I think he could also use a few more pounds. That doesn't mean he couldn't make it but at 22 going on 23 the deck is stacked against him. I gotta figure even if he does well in ASU he'll be around 24-25 before he makes the NHL and most guys are well established by that time. I agree BB. I too will be surprised if he makes it to the NHL level.
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Badger Bob on Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:00 pm

FWIW, Austin Lemieux is at the Pens Development Camp for the third year in a row. Probably helps that he has connections. :wink:
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tonythepenguin on Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:50 pm

I hope he makes it and has not only a good development and looks really damn good doing it.
but my doubts are creeping in
Tonythepenguin

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins