Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

NHL Draft Trade Poll

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pens NHL Draft Trade Poll

Pens will make a trade that involves a "star" Pens player
36%
Pens will make a trade but not a "star" Pens player
57%
Pens will not make a trade involving their NHL roster
7%

Total votes : 28

NHL Draft Trade Poll

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:48 am

We've seen the speculation. Weigh in for fun!
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: NHL Draft Trade Poll

Postby largegarlic on Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:06 pm

I'm still skeptical that a big Kessel or Letang trade will come together, but I'd bet the Pens could get a mid- or late-round pick for Hunwick. Maybe Sheary or Rust go for a slightly better pick.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:28 pm

I have been all over the place. My gut still says the roster remains largely unchanged but, lately I just get this weird feeling about Letang.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:21 pm

I went with a star being traded. If Kessel or Letang is going to get dealt I would think it would be at the draft. Nothing will probably happen...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pekkasteele on Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:02 am

I don't think we will win the cup next year if nothing "big" happens, like a Kessel or Letang trade, that I hope for. But it could be lots of smaller trades to, that together changes the team, like separate deals involving Sheary, Hunwick, Brass, Rust etc...

But, I'm starting to believe that we wont change the team a lot, so I think, come September, I will be disappointed.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ville5 on Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:26 am

1 and 2.
Letang for Klefbom, 10th OA and something.
Sheary or Rust and Hunwick for something. Hope it's Sheary, but have a feeling it's Rust. Coaches' niece and all...
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby LimerickPensFan on Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:58 am

pekkasteele wrote:I don't think we will win the cup next year if nothing "big" happens, like a Kessel or Letang trade, that I hope for. But it could be lots of smaller trades to, that together changes the team, like separate deals involving Sheary, Hunwick, Brass, Rust etc...

But, I'm starting to believe that we wont change the team a lot, so I think, come September, I will be disappointed.

Funny, I think exactly the opposite. You have a team that has won the cup two out of the last three years, and only lost to the eventual cup winner this year. Why would you change that team? Why would you replace any of the key parts?
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby no name on Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:59 am

I think salary cap trade most likely to happen. Sheary or Hunwick for a mid pick.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pekkasteele on Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:12 am

LimerickPensFan wrote:
pekkasteele wrote:I don't think we will win the cup next year if nothing "big" happens, like a Kessel or Letang trade, that I hope for. But it could be lots of smaller trades to, that together changes the team, like separate deals involving Sheary, Hunwick, Brass, Rust etc...

Funny, I think exactly the opposite. You have a team that has won the cup two out of the last three years, and only lost to the eventual cup winner this year. Why would you change that team? Why would you replace any of the key parts?

To me, that is the way Detroit thought, and we ended their "dominance" in 2009, an since then they where stuck with an old and aging core that made them what they are today.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:30 am

pekkasteele wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:

To me, that is the way Detroit thought, and we ended their "dominance" in 2009, an since then they where stuck with an old and aging core that made them what they are today.

They made it to the cup final. That wasn't considered "dominant"?

Imagine they had traded Zetterberg in 2008. Think they would have made it to the final in 2009?

We have about four or five years left with the best from two generational players. Any trade that doesn't immediately make this team better is wasting those years.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pekkasteele on Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:26 am

LimerickPensFan wrote:
pekkasteele wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:

Imagine they had traded Zetterberg in 2008. Think they would have made it to the final in 2009?

We have about four or five years left with the best from two generational players. Any trade that doesn't immediately make this team better is wasting those years.

Trading Zetterberg is like we trading Sid, that is not what I want, but if they hade traded some of their other aging players like Chelios, Drake, Draper, Rafalksi etc, maybe we dont win in 2009? Of course no one knows but, I dont want an aging squad.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:37 am

pekkasteele wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:
pekkasteele wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:

Trading Zetterberg is like we trading Sid, that is not what I want, but if they hade traded some of their other aging players like Chelios, Drake, Draper, Rafalksi etc, maybe we dont win in 2009? Of course no one knows but, I dont want an aging squad.

Not even close. Sid is night and day better than Zetterberg ever was. I would put Zetterberg's quality on about the Kessel level. He was better defensively, but not as good offensively. Chelios was in his 40s. We're not approaching that level. Drake's last season was 2008, so that kind of throws him out. He would have been 40 in 2009, anyway. Draper was 38. Rafalski was 36. Meanwhile, Kessel is 30, and Letang is 31. They aren't going to start going downhill until Sid and Geno are. This is a completely flawed analogy. The Redwings you are talking about were significantly older than the Penguins that are being bandied about.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pekkasteele on Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:55 am

LimerickPensFan wrote:Not even close. Sid is night and day better than Zetterberg ever was. I would put Zetterberg's quality on about the Kessel level. He was better defensively, but not as good offensively. Chelios was in his 40s. We're not approaching that level. Drake's last season was 2008, so that kind of throws him out. He would have been 40 in 2009, anyway. Draper was 38. Rafalski was 36. Meanwhile, Kessel is 30, and Letang is 31. They aren't going to start going downhill until Sid and Geno are. This is a completely flawed analogy. The Redwings you are talking about were significantly older than the Penguins that are being bandied about.

Where did I say Zetterberg is as good as Sid? Of course he is not. But he was their 1st line Center and one of their best players, like Sid is for us. Who is the better of them is irrelevant in that regard. I don't want os to trade our best player, not even our 2nd best (Malkin).
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:58 am

pekkasteele wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:Not even close. Sid is night and day better than Zetterberg ever was. I would put Zetterberg's quality on about the Kessel level. He was better defensively, but not as good offensively. Chelios was in his 40s. We're not approaching that level. Drake's last season was 2008, so that kind of throws him out. He would have been 40 in 2009, anyway. Draper was 38. Rafalski was 36. Meanwhile, Kessel is 30, and Letang is 31. They aren't going to start going downhill until Sid and Geno are. This is a completely flawed analogy. The Redwings you are talking about were significantly older than the Penguins that are being bandied about.

Where did I say Zetterberg is as good as Sid? Of course he is not. But he was their 1st line Center and one of their best players, like Sid is for us. Who is the better of them is irrelevant in that regard. I don't want os to trade our best player, not even our 2nd best (Malkin).

Your exact words: Trading Zetterberg is like we trading Sid

No. It's not even close to us trading Sid. It's trading a player about the quality of Phil Kessel. That's my point. You are getting rid of that level of quality trading Kessel, and unless you get returned that same level of quality, then you are hurting the team over the next years and lessening our chances of winning another cup in the Crosby/Malkin era.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pekkasteele on Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:04 am

LimerickPensFan wrote:
pekkasteele wrote:

No. It's not even close to us trading Sid. It's trading a player about the quality of Phil Kessel. That's my point. You are getting rid of that level of quality trading Kessel, and unless you get returned that same level of quality, then you are hurting the team over the next years and lessening our chances of winning another cup in the Crosby/Malkin era.

Again, I was not comparing the two against each other, I was talking about where they where on THEIR team, Sid is our best center, Zetterberg was their best center, and with Datsyuk, their best player. Malkin is out 2nd best player, I don't want to trade him either, like I don't think they should have traded Datsyuk back then.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jreed on Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:33 am

My gut is telling me that trades will happen but not involving a star player. I really dont see Letang being traded but on the fence about Kessel. I think the return would have to blow them away.

If I were to guess, Id say it'll involve Sheary, Jarry, Hunwick, Simon. Maybe even a surprise in Sheahan. Not major pieces, but packaged together, might bring in something of value/depth for this team.
jreed
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby LimerickPensFan on Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:48 am

pekkasteele wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:
pekkasteele wrote:

Again, I was not comparing the two against each other, I was talking about where they where on THEIR team, Sid is our best center, Zetterberg was their best center, and with Datsyuk, their best player. Malkin is out 2nd best player, I don't want to trade him either, like I don't think they should have traded Datsyuk back then.

What does it matter where they are at on their team when it comes to their value for trading? In my mind, Zetterberg was about an equal player to Kessel.

My main point is that trading Kessel would be a colossal mistake unless you can get equal current capability for him. If part of your argument for the trade is future value, you are wasting the good years of Sid and Geno. Same goes with Letang. Now, if your goal is 20 straight years of mediocrity, then go ahead. I'd rather win two more cups during the Sid and Geno years and then have ten or so pitiful years, though.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby alancac98 on Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:35 pm

I hope Letang goes. Our defense has been better without him! (It would save cap money to boot, at least until we sign someone else to replace him)
alancac98
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins