The NHL draft

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The NHL draft

Postby Hatrick on Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:02 pm

State College Penguin wrote:
pekkasteele wrote:Was hoping to wake up to a trade of Letang or Kessel ... nothing, not even Hunwick ....

Trading Hunwick won't be easy. I would love to see Letang go, but JR has way too much faith in him.

It pains me to watch the draft and see other organizations get better as far as talent; help the system, whereas we don't because we fork over picks like the Easter Bunny throws out eggs at Easter. The Islanders have made out like bandits this draft, as well as others. This is what happens when you continue to work the way the Pens do ... you don't get much help to a bare farm system that really lacks talent.

trading hunwick will be pretty easy.

As for the draft picks, yes its called being a successful team. There is a time to suck and there is a time to win, right now is the time to win, plenty of time to suck in 10 years.
Hatrick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby State College Penguin on Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:08 pm

Hatrick wrote:
pekkasteele wrote:Was hoping to wake up to a trade of Letang or Kessel ... nothing, not even Hunwick ....

Trading Hunwick won't be easy. I would love to see Letang go, but JR has way too much faith in him.

It pains me to watch the draft and see other organizations get better as far as talent; help the system, whereas we don't because we fork over picks like the Easter Bunny throws out eggs at Easter. The Islanders have made out like bandits this draft, as well as others. This is what happens when you continue to work the way the Pens do ... you don't get much help to a bare farm system that really lacks talent.

As for the draft picks, yes its called being a successful team. There is a time to suck and there is a time to win, right now is the time to win, plenty of time to suck in 10 years.

There is a way to do both. Problem is Pittsburgh can't figure out how to effectively do it. Suck in 10 years? It will be less than that. There is absolutely NO ONE in the system that can come up and make some sort of impact what what we have had int he previous three years. Continunally throwing away picks for questionable moves continues to haunt.
State College Penguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Steve on Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:16 pm

Hatrick wrote:

There is a way to do both. Problem is Pittsburgh can't figure out how to effectively do it. Suck in 10 years? It will be less than that. There is absolutely NO ONE in the system that can come up and make some sort of impact what what we have had int he previous three years. Continunally throwing away picks for questionable moves continues to haunt.

I don't think anyone expected Guentzel, Sheary, Rust, Murray etc to make an impact either - everyone was touting all of the defensman prospects - they mostly didn't pan out but the others I listed did, so things can turn quickly and unexpectedly.

The Pens have made mistakes in the Crosby era (just like every other NHL team) but it's tough to criticize a strategy that's resulted in the team being in 4 of the last 11 Cup finals. That's just insane success in a 30-31 team salary cap league. The Pens will most likely crash after the 87/71 era, if so they will restock with very high draft picks then, rebuilds can be an exciting time for fans too.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby LimerickPensFan on Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:11 pm

Hatrick wrote:

If it's so easy to find a way to do both, why doesn't anyone do it?

The list of questionable moves I saw was a joke. Most of them involved low-level draft picks (one was a conditional 6th or 7th - seriously). The higher end picks were for moves that at least looked good at the time, and some have worked out nicely. Then there are things like Justin Schultz for a 3rd round pick. I'm sure we're really missing that third round pick, right?
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel on Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:19 pm

Last edited by Daniel on Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:54 pm

Interesting Pens picks in round 2. Hope they pan out :fist:
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ville5 on Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:46 pm

Anyone know if Connor Hall was redrafted? Or is he an ufa?
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel on Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:55 pm

ville5 wrote:Anyone know if Connor Hall was redrafted? Or is he an ufa?

Doesn't look like it
https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2018-nh ... t-results/
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hatrick on Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:33 pm

Hatrick wrote:

I said 10 cause its a nice whole number and after the sid/geno era. As long as those two are healthy and playing the team won't suck, I could be the fourth line winger and the team would not be a bottom of the barrel team(and I have never ice skated in my life), so it surely wouldn't be with actual ice hockey players even if it is undrafted college players.

There is a way to do both and that is making perfect trades everytime, which is not realistic. There are a few draft picks trades that have been questionable but to claim they have thrown picks out like the easter bunny throws out eggs is not realistic. Many of those trades either were very good on paper at the time and something you have to try OR they were trades that weren't highly regarded at first and worked out later(Schultz being an example). Sure there are trades that didn't make sense at first or later on but they aren't the majority.
Hatrick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins