Sheary/Hunwick to Buffalo

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Sheary/Hunwick to Buffalo

Postby Cow_Master66 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:08 am

Per Dreger for a pick(4th which could become a 3rd).
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Sheary/Hunwick to Buffalo

Postby Puck-Lurker on Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:14 am

Please be true.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:16 am

It's on the TSN trade tracker.

I just never got the Sheary hate. Yes, like Rust, he was overpaid, but... whatever.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:20 am

Jim wrote:It's on the TSN trade tracker.

I just never got the Sheary hate. Yes, like Rust, he was overpaid, but... whatever.

Jim, I am with you 100%
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pekkasteele on Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:23 am

Cow_Master66 wrote:Per Dreger for a pick(4th which could become a 3rd).

Ok, that is nice at least, i thought a 4th was the best we could get, 3rd if they make the playoffs then?
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:25 am

LOL @ Eklund:

Hockey Buzz Eklund
‏ @Eklund
16m16 minutes ago

This trade definitely clears the way for Jeff Skinner to Penguins...UNLESS the Pens are looking bigger...Could Phil Kessel + be dealt to Ottawa for Erik Karlsson...Probably the best player the Sense could land for Karlsson
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby joker10277 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:26 am

Think it was two fold, his salary and that he just too easy to knock off the puck. Also GMJR needed the cap space
joker10277
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hatrick on Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:26 am

only a 4th? while I was one who thought sheary could be certainly dealt I expected it to be for more, whether its a third or for other players. Hunwick I would have been fine getting a 5th, 6th, or even a 7th for. with rust getting his new deal I put him into the sheary category of trade if you can get something good for him, but keep if all you are getting is a 4th.
Hatrick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:26 am

There is no hate. LW needed upgraded. Sheary and Hagelin were the candidate to help free up space. Sheary's issue (like Kessel and Sprong) is that he isn't great defensively. I personally think Sheary's defense is the best of those 3, but, it's definitely below average. Defense was the Penguins problem last year, and not just from the 6 guys on the backend. The only reason I keep Hagelin over Sheary is because of Hagelin's defense. I'll take a 5-8 goal drop off from Hagelin if it means better 5on5 defense overall.

So even with Sheary gone, if the plan is Skinner.....that's just as bad, as Skinner isn't known for his defense either. To me you can only get Skinner if Sprong is going the other way, because expecting to field an improved defense with Skinner, Sprong, and Kessel in the lineup is a pretty tough task.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby KG on Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:34 am

That was a quick $5.25mill off the cap! Good job. Now be smart with the cap space!
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby LimerickPensFan on Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:36 am

I first heard about it when my wife came in and said the mailman told her about it. Guy drives around in his truck listening to hockey news all day. Unfortunately, he's a Blues fan, but we have some lively discussions about how much the Flyers stink.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Cow_Master66 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:40 am

Hatrick wrote:only a 4th? while I was one who thought sheary could be certainly dealt I expected it to be for more, whether its a third or for other players. Hunwick I would have been fine getting a 5th, 6th, or even a 7th for. with rust getting his new deal I put him into the sheary category of trade if you can get something good for him, but keep if all you are getting is a 4th.

Hunwick for a 5th?? That's not how it works. We had to basically give a team Sheary just to take Hunwick let alone get anything back for him straight up...
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:51 am

Pitts wrote:LOL @ Eklund:

Hockey Buzz Eklund
‏ @Eklund
16m16 minutes ago

This trade definitely clears the way for Jeff Skinner to Penguins...UNLESS the Pens are looking bigger...Could Phil Kessel + be dealt to Ottawa for Erik Karlsson...Probably the best player the Sense could land for Karlsson

Eklund ~ Wacky trades here since 2008- 9...
:P
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: Advent is perfect for the start of good play- teamwork.

Postby Hatrick on Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:05 pm

Cow_Master66 wrote:
Hatrick wrote:only a 4th? while I was one who thought sheary could be certainly dealt I expected it to be for more, whether its a third or for other players. Hunwick I would have been fine getting a 5th, 6th, or even a 7th for. with rust getting his new deal I put him into the sheary category of trade if you can get something good for him, but keep if all you are getting is a 4th.

Hunwick for a 5th?? That's not how it works. We had to basically give a team Sheary just to take Hunwick let alone get anything back for him straight up...

as much as the fanbase hates hunwick does not mean he has negative value in the NHL, one bad year does not determine value, that's not how it works. And I said a 5th,6th or 7th, a.k.a some late round pick for somebody who has more cap space to take the chance he rebounds. So adding him into the deal does not lessen return although it makes no significant increase in value.
Hatrick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel on Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:08 pm

Hatrick wrote:
Cow_Master66 wrote:

as much as the fanbase hates hunwick does not mean he has negative value in the NHL, one bad year does not determine value, that's not how it works. And I said a 5th,6th or 7th, a.k.a some late round pick for somebody who has more cap space to take the chance he rebounds. So adding him into the deal does not lessen return although it makes no significant increase in value.

If that's the best offer JR can get, what are his options? Do nothing and pray or be proactive to clear cap space and get who he wants?
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Cow_Master66 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:12 pm

Hatrick wrote:
Cow_Master66 wrote:

The opposite of everything you said is true. Hunwick is most definitely viewed negatively because of his salary and not being able to crack a linup that had Chad Rueldle in it. It also most definitely lowered the return. There’s no doubt that Sheary alone would have gotten a better return.

On a side note I didn’t mind Sheary or Hunwick but am happy to clear the space because the club needed t.
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:23 pm

From Sheary's agent, Lewis Gross: "Pittsburgh gave this kid a chance, signing him out of college as a free agent. They gave him the opportunity to win two Cups. We can’t thank them enough. And we’re excited about the new opportunity. Pittsburgh has been nothing but great."
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:24 pm

Darren Dreger
@DarrenDreger
6m6 minutes ago

Condition on draft pick. If Sheary scores 20 goals or 40 pts or Buf trades Hunwick before the '19 draft, it flips to a 3rd round pick.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby KG on Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:32 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Darren Dreger
@DarrenDreger
6m6 minutes ago

Condition on draft pick. If Sheary scores 20 goals or 40 pts or Buf trades Hunwick before the '19 draft, it flips to a 3rd round pick.

Fine. Either/or are attainable.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:44 pm

Mackey also talked to Hunwick's agent, Peter Fish: "I will say — and I mean this — Matt really liked coach Sullivan. He liked the guys on the team, and he’s not complaining about the opportunity he had there. I really think if Matt never got hurt, we wouldn't be in this situation right now."
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:46 pm

I was a big Sheary fan so this definitely hurts when you see a player try so hard all over the ice while a Kessel gives you his 20% effort. BUT, I completely get it and I think Sheary will score 20 if the put him on the PP which will give us a 3rd.

FWIW, I thought Hunwick was awful on the Maple Leafs. Why JR signed him at all was a complete farce.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hatrick on Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:01 pm

Cow_Master66 wrote:
Hatrick wrote:
Cow_Master66 wrote:

The opposite of everything you said is true. Hunwick is most definitely viewed negatively because of his salary and not being able to crack a linup that had Chad Rueldle in it. It also most definitely lowered the return. There’s no doubt that Sheary alone would have gotten a better return.

On a side note I didn’t mind Sheary or Hunwick but am happy to clear the space because the club needed t.

viewed negatively as not being something to invest much assets in, especially as a contender. But for a team that is not a real contender and has cap space he can not make a deal worse for the same asking price. Buffalo fits into that category so that means the same return would have also been there for sheary.
Hatrick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitt87 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:14 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:I was a big Sheary fan so this definitely hurts when you see a player try so hard all over the ice while a Kessel gives you his 20% effort. BUT, I completely get it and I think Sheary will score 20 if the put him on the PP which will give us a 3rd.

Agree, the kid has a motor that doesn't stop. He will run through a wall for his team. Love that aspect of his game. He's a guy I'll follow.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Pitt87 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:20 pm

Cow_Master66 wrote:

The return here is $5.25m against the cap this year AND next year. GMJR is distributing our cap woes among like 5 teams right now... For that, the market is limited by the number of trading partners willing to take a chance on these two putting a full season together.

I'll judge this deal based on what comes next -- GMJR taking Skinner, who IMO is a known commodity but still a gamble, or if he pulls some other genius 3 way deal with even more cap savings coming back to us.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby E-Ramone on Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:26 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:I first heard about it when my wife came in and said the mailman told her about it. Guy drives around in his truck listening to hockey news all day. Unfortunately, he's a Blues fan, but we have some lively discussions about how much the Flyers stink.

That's good stuff! :lol:
E-Ramone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins