Sheary/Hunwick to Buffalo

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Sheary/Hunwick to Buffalo

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:29 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
Cow_Master66 wrote:
Hatrick wrote:only a 4th? while I was one who thought sheary could be certainly dealt I expected it to be for more, whether its a third or for other players. Hunwick I would have been fine getting a 5th, 6th, or even a 7th for. with rust getting his new deal I put him into the sheary category of trade if you can get something good for him, but keep if all you are getting is a 4th.

Hunwick for a 5th?? That's not how it works. We had to basically give a team Sheary just to take Hunwick let alone get anything back for him straight up...

The return here is $5.25m against the cap this year AND next year. GMJR is distributing our cap woes among like 5 teams right now... For that, the market is limited by the number of trading partners willing to take a chance on these two putting a full season together.

I'll judge this deal based on what comes next -- GMJR taking Skinner, who IMO is a known commodity but still a gamble, or if he pulls some other genius 3 way deal with even more cap savings coming back to us.

That's a very important point.....we just dumped 5.25M in contracts on Buffalo for the next two years. Huge help to our cap space. Toronto still paying 1.2M on Kessel.....huge help to our cap space. AND Vegas is paying 2M of Brassard salary this year.

In essence, the Penguins are getting an extra 3.2M in cap space by having other teams pay for part of our players, and got an extra 5.25M cleared to make additional moves. That's how you win back to back championships and compete every year.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Penspal on Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:33 pm

So... all good, whatever.

The question becomes... What does GMJR have up his sleeve? :pop: :pop: :pop:
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitt87 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:46 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
Cow_Master66 wrote:
Hatrick wrote:only a 4th? while I was one who thought sheary could be certainly dealt I expected it to be for more, whether its a third or for other players. Hunwick I would have been fine getting a 5th, 6th, or even a 7th for. with rust getting his new deal I put him into the sheary category of trade if you can get something good for him, but keep if all you are getting is a 4th.

Hunwick for a 5th?? That's not how it works. We had to basically give a team Sheary just to take Hunwick let alone get anything back for him straight up...

The return here is $5.25m against the cap this year AND next year. GMJR is distributing our cap woes among like 5 teams right now... For that, the market is limited by the number of trading partners willing to take a chance on these two putting a full season together.

I'll judge this deal based on what comes next -- GMJR taking Skinner, who IMO is a known commodity but still a gamble, or if he pulls some other genius 3 way deal with even more cap savings coming back to us.

That's a very important point.....we just dumped 5.25M in contracts on Buffalo for the next two years. Huge help to our cap space. Toronto still paying 1.2M on Kessel.....huge help to our cap space. AND Vegas is paying 2M of Brassard salary this year.

In essence, the Penguins are getting an extra 3.2M in cap space by having other teams pay for part of our players, and got an extra 5.25M cleared to make additional moves. That's how you win back to back championships and compete every year.

And $2m for Brassard via OTT and VGK. Cap Wizardry.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby netwolf on Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:31 pm

Good deal for both. Pens clear cap space, a bad fit in Hunwick, and a surplus wing in Sheary. Buffalo gets a solid middle 6 wing for a lower cost by taking on Hunwick.

That said, if they use that cap space as is being reported, it kind of washes away the positive gains from this deal.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:08 am

Awesome deal.. GMJR clearing space for Johnson and winger..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:45 pm

I think the Pens did pretty well with this. Looking at the individual pieces, if they were trading Sheary, I could have seen them get a third round pick, maybe a second. Hunwick has negative trade value, so they were either going to have to retain salary (defeats the purpose) or give up a draft pick of their own for somebody to take him. Meeting in the middle, a fourth that has a pretty good chance of becoming a third seems like a nice return in addition to all the cap space.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Hatrick on Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:38 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I think the Pens did pretty well with this. Looking at the individual pieces, if they were trading Sheary, I could have seen them get a third round pick, maybe a second. Hunwick has negative trade value, so they were either going to have to retain salary (defeats the purpose) or give up a draft pick of their own for somebody to take him. Meeting in the middle, a fourth that has a pretty good chance of becoming a third seems like a nice return in addition to all the cap space.

to a team with cap room and could use a defenseman to fill in hunwick should not have negative value, not exactly positive either but not negative. Buffalo fits that bill, so that means you are basically getting the same thing you would have gotten for sheary. The conditions aren't overly tough to happen so good chance of a third so im not that unhappy with it like I would be if the conditions were pretty unrealistic. Hopefully buffalo gets a high pick again but the conditions kick in so that its a very early third.
Hatrick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:33 pm

Hunwick clearly had negative trade value, otherwise they would have gotten more than a fourth round pick for the combination of him and Sheary. A seventh defenseman with a $2+ million cap hit for two more seasons doesn't have trade value without eating a large portion of his cap hit.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Hatrick on Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:49 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Hunwick clearly had negative trade value, otherwise they would have gotten more than a fourth round pick for the combination of him and Sheary. A seventh defenseman with a $2+ million cap hit for two more seasons doesn't have trade value without eating a large portion of his cap hit.

either that or sheary had less value then we think he should. Regardless should have gotten more but not a huge deal if the money is spent wisely, if its blown then the trade was worthless.
Hatrick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pekkasteele on Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:23 am

I would suppose they tried to trade them separately to, but that this was the best offer they could get, hard to believe Buffalo was the only team they talked to about the players, but that this WAS the best offer. So Hunwick was not worth more to another team.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:50 am

Hatrick wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:Hunwick clearly had negative trade value, otherwise they would have gotten more than a fourth round pick for the combination of him and Sheary. A seventh defenseman with a $2+ million cap hit for two more seasons doesn't have trade value without eating a large portion of his cap hit.

either that or sheary had less value then we think he should. Regardless should have gotten more but not a huge deal if the money is spent wisely, if its blown then the trade was worthless.

Once the conditions for it to become a 3rd were disclosed, it's easy to see what the thinking on both players is. Boterill knew Sheary very well, and the stipualtion of him scoring 20 goals or 40 points would seem to suggest that JB looks at him as someone who the jury is still a little bit out on. He's got talent, but his skill set is limited. He needs to prove that two seasons ago wasn't a fluke. The stipulation on Hunwick says it all. If they can move him and his cap hit, the pick becomes a 3rd. lol It also tells you that every deal in today's NHL has to be judged partly on the cap implications. It's possible the Pens could have gotten a 3rd that could have become a 2nd for Sheary. If the cost to dump a bad contract is a drop by a round in the draft, so be it. The most valuable retuen wasn't the conditional pick, It was the $5.25M in cap space.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:22 am

Sheary alone would probably have been a 3rd with the condition to become a 2nd. With the Hunwick contract dump it became a 4th with the condition to a 3rd. Adding Hunwick probable dropped the get one pick level.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Weegie on Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:07 am

This kid scored MANY big goals for the Pens in the two Cup years and I am very sad to see him go. I had a kid on the U-12 soccer team I coach for the last two years Connor Miller who from two years ago of course then was called Connor Sheary and even some of the other kids started to just call him "Sheary", and he even showed up at practice last year with a #43 Sheary Pens jersey type shirt on! And this was his last season playing for me, so as a parting gift they got me a Pens hoodie with #43 Sheary on it....

Sorry to see them BOTH go meaning the real one and my kid, they both had great energy and scored lots of goals, I wish them both all the best of luck....
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins