Pens to sign Jack Johnson for...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pens to sign Jack Johnson for...

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:57 pm

I just didn’t believe coming here would fix him. He’s never been fixable. His play is the same as always. I don’t buy him having to learn the system. But I guess we have to trust Gonchar.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby Great58 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:19 am

murphydump55 wrote:I just didn’t believe coming here would fix him. He’s never been fixable. His play is the same as always. I don’t buy him having to learn the system. But I guess we have to trust Gonchar.

You don't think he can even be a serviceable third pairing D? Because that would be an acceptable "fix" in my mind, and one that I would like to think could be attainable during the season.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:05 pm

Great58 wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:I just didn’t believe coming here would fix him. He’s never been fixable. His play is the same as always. I don’t buy him having to learn the system. But I guess we have to trust Gonchar.

You don't think he can even be a serviceable third pairing D? Because that would be an acceptable "fix" in my mind, and one that I would like to think could be attainable during the season.

2 things that keep getting brought up concerning that. 1, what an expensive 3rd pairing D and 2, why put him out there when you have better options with potential to grow like Riikola or even Ruhwedel? He's stealing ice time from more valuable players.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:36 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:
Great58 wrote:

2 things that keep getting brought up concerning that. 1, what an expensive 3rd pairing D and 2, why put him out there when you have better options with potential to grow like Riikola or even Ruhwedel? He's stealing ice time from more valuable players.

Is he inappropriately priced as a 5/6? I know Oleksik is cheaper, but he was a RFA while Jack was a UFA, so... circumstances and who’s available as an alternative and all of that played a role in the exact price. Idk the complete list of free agent D signings this summer, but there are a lot of similar D currently in the $3M salary that are already old and aging faster than Jack.

I agree that none of that matters if he can’t surpass Chad and RJ in the depth chart based on his play. But that is what I am hopeful that he can do, eventually.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:50 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:... why put him out there when you have better options with potential to grow like Riikola or even Ruhwedel? He's stealing ice time from more valuable players.

No one knew how Riikola would react to the NHL game, including Riikola who was apparently fine with potentially starting in the AHL and getting used to the different style of play and different ice. He's stealing time from valuable Ruhwedel?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby longtimefan on Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:40 pm

FWIW. Jack Johnson leads the Pens in both blocked shots and hits. He's tied for 14th in the league for blocks per game played, and he's tied for 9th in hits.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:11 pm

Jim wrote:
RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:... why put him out there when you have better options with potential to grow like Riikola or even Ruhwedel? He's stealing ice time from more valuable players.

No one knew how Riikola would react to the NHL game, including Riikola who was apparently fine with potentially starting in the AHL and getting used to the different style of play and different ice. He's stealing time from valuable Ruhwedel?

I think it's safe to say he's better than Hunwick, which is saying little.

I'm waiting until he's got 20 games before saying anything more. He's getting actual ice time, so it won't be that hard to draw conclusions by then.

Spoiler:
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:43 pm

The coach's take after last night:
https://theathletic.com/614543/2018/10/ ... elievable/

You’ll recall that Johnson was on the ice for all five goals against in Edmonton. Here’s what Sullivan had to say about Johnson, who scored his first goal with the Penguins in the second period against the Flames:
“It’s a good boost of confidence for Jack. He’s quietly played a sound game for us, and I don’t think he always gets some of the credit that he deserves. For example, in Edmonton, I know that there was talk that he was on the ice for five goals against. Well, the reality is when you break down the involvement of those goals, he wasn’t … he had no responsibility on any of those goals against. He just happened to be on the ice for them. We try to look at the game a whole lot closer than just ‘Hey, a guy is on the ice for when a goal is scored’ because a lot can happen in a team game. What I will say is I think Jack has quietly adjusted to the style of play that we’re trying to play here in Pittsburgh. We believe he’s a solid defenseman. The fact that he scores tonight hopefully will give him a big boost of confidence.”
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:52 pm

longtimefan wrote:FWIW. Jack Johnson leads the Pens in both blocked shots and hits. He's tied for 14th in the league for blocks per game played, and he's tied for 9th in hits.

The blocked shot stat also means they can't get the puck out of their own end when he is on the ice, and are probably being out shot when Johnson is out there.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Malkintent on Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:51 pm

Jim wrote:In these only 7 games, for D... Johnson is 3rd TOI/G even, 3rd TOI/G PP, 3rd TOI/G PK, and 3rd TOI/G overall.

And?
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Postby Malkintent on Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:55 pm

I would've rather given Despres a shot for under 1M than sign this guy.
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Postby murphydump55 on Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:02 am

longtimefan wrote:FWIW. Jack Johnson leads the Pens in both blocked shots and hits. He's tied for 14th in the league for blocks per game played, and he's tied for 9th in hits.

Blocked shots = under fire
Hits = chasing the puck

This makes sense as his team never has the puck when he’s on the ice.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby murphydump55 on Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:04 am

Malkintent wrote:I would've rather given Despres a shot for under 1M than sign this guy.

He looked good last game when they gave him the least 5v5 minutes and barely any defensive zone starts.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:38 pm

Malkintent wrote:
Jim wrote:In these only 7 games, for D... Johnson is 3rd TOI/G even, 3rd TOI/G PP, 3rd TOI/G PK, and 3rd TOI/G overall.

And?

It was just a statement of fact. I thought that it was an interesting stat.

I know that this thread is supposed to be completely groundless speculation, blind berating of Johnson, and whole lot of whining... but I just thought that it was interesting.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:43 pm

So many people want to talk about how Sullivan came to Johnson’s defense after his awful game vs Edmonton, saying that obviously the coach didn’t have a problem with him....

yet since then his icetime tells a different story, even without Letang and Schultz.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby largegarlic on Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:01 pm

I went to the game last night with my 68-year-old mom. It was her first game of the year, but we've had tickets as a family since '93, so she's seen a fair bit of live hockey. This was our conversation in the first period regarding Johnson:

Mom: "Who's 73?"
Me: "That's Jack Johnson. We signed him as a free agent over the summer."
Mom: "Is he really old?"
Me: "No, not really. He's about the same age as Crosby."
Mom: "Is he injured? His legs don't seem to move right."
Me: "Not that I know of. I think that's just how he is."
Mom: "Oh...I guess we just signed him as a stop gap for one year."
Me: "Actually, we signed him for 5 years."
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:08 pm

largegarlic wrote:I went to the game last night with my 68-year-old mom. It was her first game of the year, but we've had tickets as a family since '93, so she's seen a fair bit of live hockey. This was our conversation in the first period regarding Johnson:

This is awesome, although I didn't think he looked that bad last night. It's clear by his minutes and zone starts that Sullivan's defense of him after the Edmonton game was BS. He's barely started in the defensive zone and his minutes have seemed to drop, even while missing two minute munchers in Letang and Schultz. Seems kind of telling that Sullivan and the coaching staff know there's an issue here. Whoda thunk it though?
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby brwi on Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:21 pm

largegarlic wrote:I went to the game last night with my 68-year-old mom. It was her first game of the year, but we've had tickets as a family since '93, so she's seen a fair bit of live hockey. This was our conversation in the first period regarding Johnson:

:thumb: :lol: That's awesome. I especially like the "his legs don't seem to move right."
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby no name on Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:15 am

If Jack Johnson played for Philly....

no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins