Penguins sign UFA C Derek Grant to 1 year, 650K deal

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Penguins sign UFA C Derek Grant to 1 year, 650K deal

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:57 pm

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/pens-agree-to-terms-with-derek-grant/c-299537320

One-way deal. Somebody is going to get waived in camp.....or someone is going to get traded. Brassard, Sheahan, Cullen, and Grant are all centers. Penguins have 14 guys on 1 way deals, Hayes on a two-way, and ZAR still on a two-way and the only player with waiver eligibility.

I liked Grant. He was a guy who could have been an under the radar trade at the deadline. He had a career year last year with 24 points in 66 games as a 4th liner......but, why do you need ANOTHER NHL center on a one-way deal.

Call me crazy, but I smell a Skinner for Brassard and Jarry type deal. No reason to have 4 bottom 6 centers on the roster on one-way deals.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Penguins sign UFA C Derek Grant to 1 year, 650K deal

Postby DelPen on Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:09 pm

So Rowney for Grant. I’ll take it.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:11 pm

DelPen wrote:So Rowney for Grant. I’ll take it.

Rowney got almost double the salary per year x 3. Ouch.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby dark_forces on Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:15 pm

This is a sneaky good signing. Grant fit in well with the ducks and 12 goals into today's NHL is nothing to sneeze at. You figure Cullen's not going anywhere, neither is Sheahan. This could very well point toward Brassard being dealt. If they don't plan to resign him and let him walk after the upcoming season, it makes sense to get some asset for him. His cap hit becomes really attractive to another team looking for a 2nd line centerman. Maybe Winnipeg or Carolina.
dark_forces
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:16 pm

DelPen wrote:So Rowney for Grant. I’ll take it.

Still puzzling to me. I mean, if Derek Grant had ZERO other offers on the table, sure, you take it. But, you just had a career year with 24 points. I doubt he is looking to go to a situation where he has to be a 14th forward or possibly be waived to go to the AHL.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:25 pm

dark_forces wrote:This is a sneaky good signing. Grant fit in well with the ducks and 12 goals into today's NHL is nothing to sneeze at. You figure Cullen's not going anywhere, neither is Sheahan. This could very well point toward Brassard being dealt. If they don't plan to resign him and let him walk after the upcoming season, it makes sense to get some asset for him. His cap hit becomes really attractive to another team looking for a 2nd line centerman. Maybe Winnipeg or Carolina.

Not sure how sneaky good it is. Prior to last season Grant had zero goals and 7 points in 86 games.

Which Grant do we get?
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby Ohio_Pens_fan on Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:36 pm

FLPensFan wrote:https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/pens-agree-to-terms-with-derek-grant/c-299537320

One-way deal. Somebody is going to get waived in camp.....or someone is going to get traded. Brassard, Sheahan, Cullen, and Grant are all centers. Penguins have 14 guys on 1 way deals, Hayes on a two-way, and ZAR still on a two-way and the only player with waiver eligibility.

I liked Grant. He was a guy who could have been an under the radar trade at the deadline. He had a career year last year with 24 points in 66 games as a 4th liner......but, why do you need ANOTHER NHL center on a one-way deal.

Call me crazy, but I smell a Skinner for Brassard and Jarry type deal. No reason to have 4 bottom 6 centers on the roster on one-way deals.

I do hope they keep Jarry instead of DeSmith. I know they want to play Jarry at WBS and not sit on the NHL bench, but IMO he's the better goalie instead of DeSmith and can sub long term for Murray if need be.
Ohio_Pens_fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby longtimefan on Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:39 pm

FLPensFan wrote:https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/pens-agree-to-terms-with-derek-grant/c-299537320

You were reviewing an article last week where JR said if he could he'd sign another center, he would. I don't remember the article. At this point, what he does is makes it very unlikely Hayes will make the team. Signing another 4th lie guy doesn't mean they're going to deal. I don't think they will. He's just additional depth. It's obvious he meant it when he said that was the goal.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:57 pm

Ohio_Pens_fan wrote:

I do hope they keep Jarry instead of DeSmith. I know they want to play Jarry at WBS and not sit on the NHL bench, but IMO he's the better goalie instead of DeSmith and can sub long term for Murray if need be.

I think the plan is for DeSmith to be the primary backup and Jarry the starter when Murray misses 4-6 weeks with a random injury.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:31 pm

Seems like a depth signing and nothing more. He's coming off a nice season for a bottom six player, but at age 28 and a pretty unimpressive NHL resume prior to last season, it's telling that he signed for the minimum. Seems like an ideal guy to carry as a 13th or 14th forward but it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't break camp with the team.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:56 pm

McKegg Version 2.0
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:22 pm

Brassard for Pacioretty. I can feel it now.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:16 pm

Per Jason Mackey:

GMJR on Derek Grant: "He’s an NHL player. We didn’t sign him for our minor-league team."

This doesn't bode well early on for Aston-Reese. He's the only forward that has remaining waiver exemption. He'd be the front-runner not to make the team. If there isn't a trade, I'm guessing there is a camp battle between Simon, ZAR, Grant, and Hayes for final roster spot.......unless a trade occurs.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens_CT on Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:35 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Per Jason Mackey:

GMJR on Derek Grant: "He’s an NHL player. We didn’t sign him for our minor-league team."

This doesn't bode well early on for Aston-Reese. He's the only forward that has remaining waiver exemption. He'd be the front-runner not to make the team. If there isn't a trade, I'm guessing there is a camp battle between Simon, ZAR, Grant, and Hayes for final roster spot.......unless a trade occurs.

With all due respect to Rutherford, I'm not sure what makes a 28 year old, who has 12 career goals (all last year) in over 150 games, and whose job with the Ducks was taken by Carter Rowney, a NHL player?
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hatrick on Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:08 pm

just hearing the signing without knowing any additional details my assumption was that grant was most likely gonna be in the AHL to start the year since they already had too many forwards but that quote obviously changes that, the options are either trade or now there are quite a few guys fighting for roster positions with it being complicated by them mostly being one way contract
Hatrick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby longtimefan on Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:45 am

Barring a deal, Simon is going to make the team. He likely won't get through waivers. They have plans for ZAR, and my expectation is this won't change that. However, if he struggles, it gives them the luxury of sending him down. I expect Grant and Hayes to battle for a 14th forward spot, Grant has a leg up because of the one way contract. In both cases, they will have to win a spot with their performance. It's entirely possible they both get sent down. JR is telling the truth. rant was signed to play in the NHL. Maybe not all the time though. These guys aren't going to move the needle much, if at all. But, if they have injuries, they have guys with experience available. Slipping them through waivers is a risk, but it's not like anybody was beating on their door to sign them. Also, I mentioned earlier that the Pens don't have many guys who project as true fourth line forwards in the traditional sense. This guy does. He'll have to earn a spot in camp, but has a shot.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ShaPe on Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:37 am

When has any team played without injuries?
Being the 14th forward means you play because someone is almost always injured.
ShaPe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:20 am

To start the year I do not really care if the Pens waive (in order to send down) any of Grant, Hayes or Cullen. If they get grabbed by someone it is really no major loss.

Also, while I do love me some scoring wingers... The signings of Cullen and Grant do NOT make Brassard expendable for trade. Sheahan might be a 4+/3- type but I do not want him in 3C all year. And goodness forbid an injury to Crosby/Malkin and your 2C-4C is Sheahan/Cullen/Grant.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby longtimefan on Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:41 am

https://www.spectorshockey.net/2018/07/ ... y-20-2018/

Lyle Richardson's take makes a lot of sense.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: Bombulie cites Rutherford saying the addition of Grant provides his coaches with more flexibility. It also gives the Penguins GM depth at a position that other teams lack. That could make Rutherford very popular among clubs in need of centers with depth in wingers later in the season.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:22 pm

Maybe Grant is actually signed for LW, not C spot.. if he played most of the year on LW in 17-18
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BONVIE on Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:51 pm

I was looking at the Faceoff win percentage stats for the entire NHL last year. I was shocked to see that Grant would have been 2nd on our team at 53.1%. Only ahead of him was Sheehan at 54.2%. Crosby was 53.0% and last on our team by the way was Reese and Kuhnhacki at 16.7%. Sorry to bore you with this...I need the season to start.
BONVIE
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby OKpensfan247 on Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:34 am

Yes, face-off win % looks good last season. He is a LH draw, like all of our other Centers except Dea (Sid, Geno, Brass, Sheahan, Cullen, Grant, Blueger, Di Pauli all LH).

Bigger player in size, but not many hits historically. Has a handful of fights in past seasons although two of them were against same player (Mcquaid of Boston)... So his physicality is questionable for his size.

He had 12 goals last year, but also an 18% shooting %.

I have not seen much about his speed, which would be interesting to know.

We have signed a couple bigger guys (Johnson, Hayes, Grant) in free agency... Possibly related to the Caps admitting their locker room material was to beat up on our smaller guys ( Sheary)?
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hatrick on Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:59 pm

BONVIE wrote:I was looking at the Faceoff win percentage stats for the entire NHL last year. I was shocked to see that Grant would have been 2nd on our team at 53.1%. Only ahead of him was Sheehan at 54.2%. Crosby was 53.0% and last on our team by the way was Reese and Kuhnhacki at 16.7%. Sorry to bore you with this...I need the season to start.

not bore, although the last part isn't telling of anything, we know guys who aren't centers don't win faceoffs very often.

The first part does matter though, how his faceoff numbers compare with the other centers(the ones who were here for at least part of the season, plus Cullen who not sure if he was included in your stats since Cullen was in Minnesota) since that could be a differentiator in making the team or not.

On the other hand although they have 6 real centers with only 4 lines, 2 have shown the ability to play wing before(Sheahan and Cullen) and one has been talked about trying at winger(brassard) so theoretically could have all 6 in the lineup at once(im guessing it would be Cullen and Sheahan wing, grant as 4th line center, brass at 3c) in which case you wouldn't have to make a choice of one center over another which means the difference in faceoff rate isn't significant.
Hatrick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby BONVIE on Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:29 pm

Nice article in the paper on Grant...
A native of Abbotsford, B.C., Grant is good friends with Penguins defenseman Justin Schultz. They played in a junior tournament together and were roommates at the NHL Combine.
Apparently they saw each other around Vancouver a week or so ago, and Schultz was talking up the Penguins to Grant.
“He had nothing but great things to say,” Grant said. “Obviously it’s a world-class organization. He wanted me to be a part of it. I think that had a bit of a role in me signing there as well.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/peng ... 1807210083
BONVIE
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Penguins Knight on Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:17 pm

Ohio_Pens_fan wrote:

The Penguins will enter preseason with quality players competing for limited spots. I think an upgrade at left wing and positional depth on defense and goaltending can be addressed early in the regular season.

If Jarry is traded, the Penguins will need to address the secondary goaltender for the 2019-2020 season. Jarry is better than DeSmith. If there is another goaltender better than Jarry, trade for the upgrade.
Penguins Knight

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins