Nostradamus - The 2018-19 Prophecy

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Nostradamus - The 2018-19 Prophecy

Postby theblackarts on Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:48 pm

1. Who scores the most points this season : Sid
2. Who scores the most goals this season : Geno
3. Who has a career year points wise this season : Guentzel
4. Who gets traded this season : Brassard
5. Who gets called up from the AHL this season and stays : Grant
6. Do the penguins make the playoffs this season and if so what position (1-8) : 3
7. How many goals does Cullen have this season : 8
8. How many goals does Sprong have this season : 10
9. Do the Penguins trade away their #1 pick in the 2019 draft during the regular season : No (but I know they will)
10. Is Jack Johnson as bad as advertised : No, slightly better
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:37 am

1. Who scores the most points this season : Sid
2. Who scores the most goals this season : Geno
3. Who has a career year points wise this season : Jake
5. Who gets called up from the AHL this season and stays : Blueger
6. Do the penguins make the playoffs this season and if so what position (1-8) : Yes. 3rd, Metro, 7th overall
8. How many goals does Sprong have this season : 13
9. Do the Penguins trade away their #1 pick in the 2019 draft during the regular season : No
10. Is Jack Johnson as bad as advertised : No if judged against the fact that he is our 5th highest paid d-man.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:21 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:How about a fun game. I will list the categories, you fill in the categories with names. Then we can check in during and after the season to see how everyone did.

1. Who scores the most points this season : Crosby
2. Who scores the most goals this season : Kessel
5. Who gets called up from the AHL this season and stays : Bluegar
6. Do the penguins make the playoffs this season and if so what position (1-8) : Yes, 4th
7. How many goals does Cullen have this season : 11
8. How many goals does Sprong have this season : 25
9. Do the Penguins trade away their #1 pick in the 2019 draft during the regular season : No
10. Is Jack Johnson as bad as advertised : No
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:06 pm

I don't understand one thing about this prophecy thing. In the career year thing, Daniel Sprong's previous best year in the NHL was last year with 3 ponts. If he scores just 4 points he has a career year. This pick should be a slam dunk in my eyes. And if he scores anywhere near the number of goals some of yinz are predicting he would eclipse his previous best by a factor of 6 or so (without including assists).

Okay the secret is out. How many of yinz are now gonna change your pick in the "career year" category?

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:10 pm

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:I don't understand one thing about this prophecy thing. In the career year thing, Daniel Sprong's previous best year in the NHL was last year with 3 ponts. If he scores just 4 points he has a career year. This pick should be a slam dunk in my eyes. And if he scores anywhere near the number of goals some of yinz are predicting he would eclipse his previous best by a factor of 6 or so (without including assists).

Okay the secret is out. How many of yinz are now gonna change your pick in the "career year" category?

BEPF

I'm not playing along, but I would say that "career year" also includes years following the year in question, otherwise it would be a "career so far year".

I certainly hope 18 goals isn't Sprong's career high.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:45 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:
Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:I don't understand one thing about this prophecy thing. In the career year thing, Daniel Sprong's previous best year in the NHL was last year with 3 ponts. If he scores just 4 points he has a career year. This pick should be a slam dunk in my eyes. And if he scores anywhere near the number of goals some of yinz are predicting he would eclipse his previous best by a factor of 6 or so (without including assists).

BEPF

I'm not playing along, but I would say that "career year" also includes years following the year in question, otherwise it would be a "career so far year".

#3 says "Who has a career year points wise this season." And trhe title says 2018-2019.

Otherwise it would be never ending.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby stonewizard51 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:16 pm

BEPF

I didn't pick Sprong for that reason and nope I'm not changing it. :D
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:35 pm

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:

BEPF

#3 says "Who has a career year points wise this season." And trhe title says 2018-2019.

Otherwise it would be never ending.

BEPF

The career year still indicates years after the coming. So the question is, which player will have the best year of their entire career this season. That includes future years in the list.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:10 am

Therefore question #3 can't be really determined until every choice for that question is retired from hockey. :face:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:19 am

BEPF

I think you also have to take in "expected output". 10 points for Sprong might be a career high in a season, but, if he played 82 games and only got 10 points, I don't think anyone is going to award him the "career year."

Might be a little hard to determine where you draw the line, but, I think it will sort itself out at the end of the season and be pretty obvious.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Daniel on Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:43 am

FLPensFan wrote:

BEPF

I think you also have to take in "expected output". 10 points for Sprong might be a career high in a season, but, if he played 82 games and only got 10 points, I don't think anyone is going to award him the "career year."

Might be a little hard to determine where you draw the line, but, I think it will sort itself out at the end of the season and be pretty obvious.

I think if Sprong plays about 13 minutes a game with 2nd PP duties and about 75+ games, 40 points isn't an unreasonable expectation.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:11 am

Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

BEPF

I think if Sprong plays about 13 minutes a game with 2nd PP duties and about 75+ games, 40 points isn't an unreasonable expectation.

That's about right. If he is going to live up to expectations, if he's getting 3rd line minutes plus 2nd PP time, I am hoping for 15g, 15a. Anything over that is a plus for me this season.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Great58 on Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:52 pm

BEPF

I don't think a virtual rookie is capable, by definition, of having a "career year" (except in retrospect, if he turned out to be a one and done type player).
If Sprong had a 15+ goal, 30+ point season, I'd label that "breakout", putting some of his potential onto the score sheet for the first time.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby LimerickPensFan on Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:28 pm

Great58 wrote:

BEPF

I don't think a virtual rookie is capable, by definition, of having a "career year" (except in retrospect, if he turned out to be a one and done type player).
If Sprong had a 15+ goal, 30+ point season, I'd label that "breakout", putting some of his potential onto the score sheet for the first time.

Still capable of having a career year, but that would be a bad thing if he didn't improve after this year.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitts on Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:37 pm

1. Who scores the most points this season : Crosby is back, Baby!
2. Who scores the most goals this season : Kessel
5. Who gets called up from the AHL this season and stays : No one
6. Do the penguins make the playoffs this season and if so what position (1-8) : 1st in Metro, 2nd in division
7. How many goals does Cullen have this season : 12
8. How many goals does Sprong have this season : 24
10. Is Jack Johnson as bad as advertised : No way
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Great58 on Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:05 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:
Great58 wrote:

BEPF

Still capable of having a career year, but that would be a bad thing if he didn't improve after this year.

Yeah, but that's what I meant when I said it could only be determined as "career year" in retrospect, if he turned out to be a one-hit wonder.
Now, if he hits north of 60 points this season I'd contradict myself and call it a career year. Or at least a "contract year".
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:11 pm

#3 was meant to mean career year compared to all previous years played in the NHL. So if for example Jake scores 90 points this season, he would have had a career year (up to this point) even if 5 years down the road he scores 100 points.

Having said that, (curb your enthusiasm reference) I didnt anticipate the quick thinkers who put down Sprong in that category. I can not penalize someone for outwitting me, so obviously if he scores only a handful of points you get that one right.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:17 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:#3 was meant to mean career year compared to all previous years played in the NHL. So if for example Jake scores 90 points this season, he would have had a career year (up to this point) even if 5 years down the road he scores 100 points.

Having said that, (curb your enthusiasm reference) I didnt anticipate the quick thinkers who put down Sprong in that category. I can not penalize someone for outwitting me, so obviously if he scores only a handful of points you get that one right.

I made the necessary changes

3. Who has a career year points wise this season : Jake
Spoiler:
Sprong (by the end of October using the new criteria)
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:55 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:#3 was meant to mean career year compared to all previous years played in the NHL. So if for example Jake scores 90 points this season, he would have had a career year (up to this point) even if 5 years down the road he scores 100 points.

Maybe "breakout year" would have been a more fitting term, then.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:44 am

LimerickPensFan wrote:

Maybe. Although what would you have called Kessel’s year last year. I would say career year not breakout year.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby LimerickPensFan on Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:28 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:

Maybe. Although what would you have called Kessel’s year last year. I would say career year not breakout year.

That's yet to be seen. I would think a career year would be the best year of their career. I'm hoping last year wasn't Phil's. :D

career-changing?
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel on Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:24 am

LimerickPensFan wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:

That's yet to be seen. I would think a career year would be the best year of their career. I'm hoping last year wasn't Phil's. :D

career-changing?

I'd say a 20 point increase at age 30 is a career year, especially when the previous few years were pretty close to the norm. Not to mention it's 10 points higher than any year of his career.
It's also .30 points per game more than his average, which is ironically .81.

Not that he can't do it, but his entire career suggests that he won't.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pronovost19 on Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:19 am

1. Who scores the most points this season : Malkin
2. Who scores the most goals this season : Malkin
3. Who has a career year points wise this season : Rust
4. Who gets traded this season : Jarry
5. Who gets called up from the AHL this season and stays : Hayes
6. Do the penguins make the playoffs this season and if so what position (1-8) : Yes 6th
8. How many goals does Sprong have this season : 10
9. Do the Penguins trade away their #1 pick in the 2019 draft during the regular season : Yes
10. Is Jack Johnson as bad as advertised : No
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby LimerickPensFan on Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:05 pm

Daniel wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:

career-changing?

I'd say a 20 point increase at age 30 is a career year, especially when the previous few years were pretty close to the norm. Not to mention it's 10 points higher than any year of his career.

But what if the following year he scores an additional 20 point increase? Then the year obviously wasn't his career year.

That's what I'm saying. You can't determine which year was a player's career year until their career is over.

Career-to-date year?
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel on Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:15 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:I'd say a 20 point increase at age 30 is a career year, especially when the previous few years were pretty close to the norm. Not to mention it's 10 points higher than any year of his career.

But what if the following year he scores an additional 20 point increase? Then the year obviously wasn't his career year.

That's what I'm saying. You can't determine which year was a player's career year until their career is over.

Career-to-date year?

I aknowledged that he can do it, but that his career numbers suggest that he won't. Of course it's possible that he increases by another 20 points. It's also possible that Phil scores 200 points. I will always agree that stats are nothing more than historical data, but that doesn't mean it can't tell the tale.

Maybe Sullivan increases his 3:45 minute of PP time to 6 minutes. Maybe the NHL calls enough penalties to allow that. His career suggests that last year was a fluke and won't be replicated again. I'd love if he did, that would be fantastic, but does a skill player play the best hockey of their career 12 years into it? What skilled players have had multiple best seasons of their career 12 years into it?
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins