Murray and new equipment

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Murray and new equipment

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:33 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
no name wrote:https://ingoalmag.com/gear/nhl-prepared-for-feedback-as-goalies-get-new-smaller-chest-protectors/

NHL got the companies to make the new gear in time for the season depending on the feedback they should be ready to go. I am sure what ever the effects are will be minimal but wondering how Murray will be effected.

I had read something over the summer that goalies are not happy with the change. Of course, they'd like the equipment bigger to block more space, but the main concern was safety.

When they were testing the new equipment over the summer, the goalie took several shots where the equipment size had been reduced, most notably the shoulders, where they had to stop play because the goalie was injured or severely "feeling" the shot.

My first guess is, you see a lot more goalie injuries early this season, and they revert to the older pads until they find a happy medium.

Not buying that goalies are worried about getting hurt. Goalies don't like getting scored on and have been willing to give up feeling pucks -- which some goaltenders prefer -- in favor of size & coverage. They are also almost all headcases and giving up more goals will literally keep them up at night.

League needs more scoring, so if the guy who gets paid millions to stand in front of the place where everyone is firing pucks gets hurt by a puck, that guy is not cut out for the league anymore. 99.9% of them will adjust and be fine.

Just stating the feedback I have seen. While I believe what I read was a sequence of tweets (which may have very well have been the ones in the link I'm posting), the reports were that there was concern on the neck/shoulder area, and sure enough, the goalie took a shot there and they had to end things early. IIRC, he attempted to go back in the net, took another shot in a different area, and the testing was over.

While the guy was a former goalie who played a few NHL games, he has no skin in the game of saying "Oh these aren't safe because they are smaller. " He's not an active NHL goalie. He full out admitted he noticed some shots squeaking in that used to get stopped with bigger equipment, which is the intent.

http://thecomeback.com/nhl/new-chest-pad-regulations-for-nhl-goaltenders-are-already-surrounded-in-injury-controversy.html
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Murray and new equipment

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:37 pm

And here's one from several years ago of a goalie coach, who at the time worked with Mike Smith and Peter Budaj, advocating for smaller equipment. He said blocker and catching gloves are way oversized, and pointed to the large piece that goes from the thumb of the catching glove to the cuff. It's basically 2-3 inches wide and maybe 6 inches long that has no purpose other than to try and cover more space.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2013/11/29/smaller_goalie_equipment_another_failed_tweak_feschuk.html
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins