FLPensFan Blog posts

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

FLPensFan Blog posts

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:21 am

I figured if there are no objections from admin/moderators, I am going to put a post here so that I can just add a link here to my blog whenever I post an update, rather than bury it in the big ole thread. I am always willing to discuss any topics here or on my blog.

On today's menu, a quick look at 4 Penguins prospects and how they have performed over the past week in pre-season action.

https://randomhockeyguy.wordpress.com/2018/08/28/8-28-quick-hits/
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: FLPensFan Blog posts

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:31 pm

Want a late night or early morning read on some actual Penguins news? I got something for ya:

https://randomhockeyguy.wordpress.com/2018/08/30/8-30-quick-hits/
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:59 am

There are 12 remaining RFAs in the NHL. Here's a quick look at who they are, and what they might be looking at in terms of a new deal:

https://randomhockeyguy.wordpress.com/2018/09/04/quick-hits-9-4-unsigned-rfas-in-the-nhl/
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:47 am

Some updates on today's last day of the tournament, game against Sabres:

https://randomhockeyguy.wordpress.com/2018/09/10/prospects-tournament-sabres-vs-penguins-1230pm/
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:43 am

Some pre-game thoughts on the lineup and what to look for tonight against Buffalo in preseason game 1:

https://randomhockeyguy.wordpress.com/2018/09/18/pre-game-thoughts-for-preseason-game-1-penguins-buffalo/
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:43 am

Some pre-game thoughts on the lineup and what to look for tonight against Buffalo in preseason game 1:

https://randomhockeyguy.wordpress.com/2018/09/18/pre-game-thoughts-for-preseason-game-1-penguins-buffalo/
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Humperdink on Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:43 am

Thanks for the blog FPF. From the Pens website: "Fans can listen to the game live on 105.9 The X; NHL Network will re-air the game twice on Wednesday." (1 AM and noon Wednesday)

Edit:
Gotta love the NHL - I was going to DVR it, but I am blacked out. A 1 AM replay and I am blacked out.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:51 am

FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:14 pm

Just finished a post on every one's favorite opponent, Tom Wilson. If you aren't aware, Wilson delivered a nasty blindside hit (video in the blog post) to former Penguins Oscar Sundqvist. NHL needs to finally get the punishment right.

https://randomhockeyguy.wordpress.com/2018/09/30/around-the-nhl-all-eyes-on-nhl-player-safety-as-to-finally-get-it-right/
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Daniel on Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:09 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Just finished a post on every one's favorite opponent, Tom Wilson. If you aren't aware, Wilson delivered a nasty blindside hit (video in the blog post) to former Penguins Oscar Sundqvist. NHL needs to finally get the punishment right.

https://randomhockeyguy.wordpress.com/2018/09/30/around-the-nhl-all-eyes-on-nhl-player-safety-as-to-finally-get-it-right/

I honestly think what needs to happen is Oleksiak pounding him into next season. If Wilson cowers, which he will, take the 2 minute instigator and keep pounding him until he physically can't.

Frankly, the instigator penalty is why guys like Wilson act like they do.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:46 pm

Oskar Sundqvist get KO'd by Wilson.

The coach's perspective:

“It was predatory, and that is what he’s done, and he’s done that against us, so that’s the way he plays the game,” (Blues coach) Yeo said.

Craps Coach Todd Reirden said. “He’s coming back into the defensive zone and into position, and the player cuts back into him. It’s a tough one ....

Not tough at all, coach.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... 0bb420155a
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:04 pm

Tom Wilson has been offered an in person hearing by NHL DOPS, which typically means 5 games or more suspension is coming. Date and time have not yet been set.

The fact that anyone.....coach, fan of Caps, fan of NHL.....can think that wasn't a bad hit was absurd. Anyone thinking Sundqvist "had his head down" is blind. Sundqvist cut across the ice and was in the act of shooting the puck when he got drilled by Wilson. He was probably 90-95% complete in shooting the puck (puck left stick but hadn't completed his follow through) when Wilson hit him.

The fact that Wilson has multiple suspensions in the past 12 months, and this is the THIRD incident with STL, should all play a factor in the decision. What should also factor into the decision is Wilson's penchant for repeat offenses in a short period of time. Last year, he took out Robert Thomas of STL in preseason and got suspended. I believe it was his first game back, and he again got suspended against STL for boarding Samuel Blais. Then he had multiple questionable hits in the playoffs on Dumoulin, and Marchessault (and someone in the first round I believe), as well as the Aston-Reese suspension.

Repeat offender, 3 suspensions in 12 months time period (with a 4th coming), at least 3 other questionable hits during that same 12 months, plus prior years history.....there is zero reason he shouldn't get double digit games. You watch that Raffi Torres video of NHL DOPS giving Torres 41 games, and I can't see how Wilson doesn't check off all the same boxes.

My guess is 10 games. 20 or more is needed to set a proper example.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:40 pm

FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jim on Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:52 am

Stat of the Night: Sprong is apparently Sullivan's new Reaves.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:31 am

Reaves has little hockey skill, and old Spronger has little hockey sense. So yeah these types of players aren’t going to get much ice time with Sullivan.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ohio_Pens_fan on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:27 am

Informative and enjoyable write-up. Thanks.
Ohio_Pens_fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:33 am

pens_CT wrote:Reaves has little hockey skill, and old Spronger has little hockey sense. So yeah these types of players aren’t going to get much ice time with Sullivan.

Other than PP positioning (which I don't know yet if that is him or where he is told to go), I didn't notice any issues at 5 on 5. He looked fine. Game 1, my initial fears came true. Lowest ice time on the team in game 1. I'm sure he's getting every opportunity to use his talents. :roll:

I mean, I guess he got benched in the 3rd period after that enormous blunder of a giveaway that led to the Oshie goal. Oh wait, yeah, that was Malkin the veteran that made that glaring mistake...... but, nope, can't trust Daniel Sprong in those situations. :roll:
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens_CT on Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:11 am

FLPensFan wrote:
pens_CT wrote:Reaves has little hockey skill, and old Spronger has little hockey sense. So yeah these types of players aren’t going to get much ice time with Sullivan.

Other than PP positioning (which I don't know yet if that is him or where he is told to go), I didn't notice any issues at 5 on 5. He looked fine. Game 1, my initial fears came true. Lowest ice time on the team in game 1. I'm sure he's getting every opportunity to use his talents. :roll:

I mean, I guess he got benched in the 3rd period after that enormous blunder of a giveaway that led to the Oshie goal. Oh wait, yeah, that was Malkin the veteran that made that glaring mistake...... but, nope, can't trust Daniel Sprong in those situations. :roll:

I just don’t see Sprong playing the style of game that Sullivan demands. If Sprong had Kessels goal scoring ability then Sullivan would give him some slack to play outside the system. I see Sprong being moved in a trade before the deadline.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:54 am

FLPensFan wrote:

It's not the egregious errors, it's his negative effect on the team. He had a team low CF% of 25. Next were Sheahan and Cullen, who were in the mid-30's. As a line, with Sprong, the 4th line produced zero scoring chances, and had six against. With Rust, the line produced 5 scoring chances for and 4 against. As a line, the CF% with Rust was 50%, with Sprong it was zero.

I was at the game, and tried to pay particular attention to both Sprong and Simon. I was happy that Sprong produced the PP assist, but really didn't see him noticable at other times. He just doesn't seem engaged in the team system. No, they aren't horrible mistakes. But not being where he can pressure the puck leads to loss of possession. He just wasn't supporting his linemates.

Contrast that to Simon, who led the team with a 78.9% CF. The lne with Brassard and Rust produced an 82.5% CF. He just seemed to be in the right spot constantly. Plus, he worked his a** off. On the Brassard goal, he was covering for Dumoulin and took the shot from the point. In short, I see why the coaches and players have raved about him. At least for last night.

Obviously, all sample sizes are small. But it fits with the scenario from traing camp, as well as the off season. Whether it's hockey sense or whatever, Sprong isn't capitilizing right now. Bourque suggested Derek Grant may force Sprong out of the lineup. He will be here, and it's doubtful they'd trade him. Like Cody Tucker's quote from a team souce saying you'd be lucky to get a 5th. So he's here. He has to earn his ice time. He disaapointed in camp. He was benched in the third period for a simple reason. He was hurting the team. The stats back it up. He'll get more chances. But he'll be on a short leash. Honestly, he's put himself into this postion on merit. He has great ability, and an incredible shot. But, as an all around hockey player, he's simply not that good right now. He has to change that.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:13 pm

Very good write-up FPF. Always informative.

Just some rust to polish off. And we were playing the SC champs. I was not too upset with the tie. A loss would have been a different story. The key to a successful season: injuries, Murray and Letang (master of the obvious).
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Nice write-up.

Question: If we see any typos in these, do you want us to let you know or not?
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:10 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:

Nice write-up.

Sure thing. You can post it here or just comment in the blog post.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby LimerickPensFan on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:13 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:

Nice write-up.

Sure thing. You can post it here or just comment in the blog post.

Actually, sent you a PM before you answered.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:24 pm

longtimefan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

It's not the egregious errors, it's his negative effect on the team. He had a team low CF% of 25. Next were Sheahan and Cullen, who were in the mid-30's. As a line, with Sprong, the 4th line produced zero scoring chances, and had six against. With Rust, the line produced 5 scoring chances for and 4 against. As a line, the CF% with Rust was 50%, with Sprong it was zero.

I was at the game, and tried to pay particular attention to both Sprong and Simon. I was happy that Sprong produced the PP assist, but really didn't see him noticable at other times. He just doesn't seem engaged in the team system. No, they aren't horrible mistakes. But not being where he can pressure the puck leads to loss of possession. He just wasn't supporting his linemates.

Contrast that to Simon, who led the team with a 78.9% CF. The lne with Brassard and Rust produced an 82.5% CF. He just seemed to be in the right spot constantly. Plus, he worked his a** off. On the Brassard goal, he was covering for Dumoulin and took the shot from the point. In short, I see why the coaches and players have raved about him. At least for last night.

Obviously, all sample sizes are small. But it fits with the scenario from traing camp, as well as the off season. Whether it's hockey sense or whatever, Sprong isn't capitilizing right now. Bourque suggested Derek Grant may force Sprong out of the lineup. He will be here, and it's doubtful they'd trade him. Like Cody Tucker's quote from a team souce saying you'd be lucky to get a 5th. So he's here. He has to earn his ice time. He disaapointed in camp. He was benched in the third period for a simple reason. He was hurting the team. The stats back it up. He'll get more chances. But he'll be on a short leash. Honestly, he's put himself into this postion on merit. He has great ability, and an incredible shot. But, as an all around hockey player, he's simply not that good right now. He has to change that.

You are right. It's too small of a sample size. I could point to the fact that, Sprong got one whole shift away from Cullen and Sheahan, early in the 3rd period. The line produced 2 shots for and none against, 100% CF. So, that means Sprong is fine and Sheahan and Cullen suck.

I didn't watch him closely, but, when I was watching, he seemed to be in the right position for breakout passes, and supporting the play correctly. I heard no negative feedback from Sullivan last night on Sprong. The only quote I heard was that, when mentioned Sprong got only 6:47 of ice time, Sullivan said he has to do a better job of getting him more minutes. Let's also ignore that Sprong got almost 50% of his ice time in the first period, when the Penguins team as a whole was outshot 10-4 at even strength.

Benched in the 3rd period for hurting the team.......but.....Geno......horrendous.....giveaway......wasn't? I'm exaggerating here, know Geno is a star and gets more leeway, but, we all know Geno makes TONS of boneheaded plays. Whether bad passes, clears, or dumb penalties, he does it.

Trust me, when I see mistakes, when I see Sprong be put in opportunities to succeed and fail, I will be the first one to admit it and jump off the Daniel Sprong train......but I'm not seeing it right now. I'd like to see him get a few more shifts with Brassard and Simon during a game as a start, versus 1 34 second shift he got.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Puck-Lurker on Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:19 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
longtimefan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

You are right. It's too small of a sample size. I could point to the fact that, Sprong got one whole shift away from Cullen and Sheahan, early in the 3rd period. The line produced 2 shots for and none against, 100% CF. So, that means Sprong is fine and Sheahan and Cullen suck.

I didn't watch him closely, but, when I was watching, he seemed to be in the right position for breakout passes, and supporting the play correctly. I heard no negative feedback from Sullivan last night on Sprong. The only quote I heard was that, when mentioned Sprong got only 6:47 of ice time, Sullivan said he has to do a better job of getting him more minutes. Let's also ignore that Sprong got almost 50% of his ice time in the first period, when the Penguins team as a whole was outshot 10-4 at even strength.

Benched in the 3rd period for hurting the team.......but.....Geno......horrendous.....giveaway......wasn't? I'm exaggerating here, know Geno is a star and gets more leeway, but, we all know Geno makes TONS of boneheaded plays. Whether bad passes, clears, or dumb penalties, he does it.

Trust me, when I see mistakes, when I see Sprong be put in opportunities to succeed and fail, I will be the first one to admit it and jump off the Daniel Sprong train......but I'm not seeing it right now. I'd like to see him get a few more shifts with Brassard and Simon during a game as a start, versus 1 34 second shift he got.

I saw the Sullivan interview just now. He clearly thought Sprong wasn't put in a position to succeed. He did go on to say that he made the calls as he saw em to try win the game. Just didn't turn out to be a whole lot of Sprong-time. Pretty much adding that his time will come.

Okay. I'll stop fussing, we're talking about a one game sample size for Sullivan's use here.

Waiting for ZAR/Simon-Brassard-Sprong to become a thing. The only thing I can imagine now, is that Sheahan/Cullen are mentoring him so he doesn't become Letang-brained.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins