FLPensFan Blog posts

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: FLPensFan Blog posts

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:54 pm

FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby largegarlic on Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:27 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Why does the bottom 6 stink. It's the centers:

https://randomhockeyguy.wordpress.com/2018/11/03/penguins-center-depth-is-again-an-issue/

Thanks for doing the legwork to dig up the stats that confirm what my eyes are telling me. I like the suggestion of calling up Blueger and Aston-Reese. That might inject some more life into the bottom 6.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:09 pm

largegarlic wrote:

https://randomhockeyguy.wordpress.com/2018/11/03/penguins-center-depth-is-again-an-issue/

Thanks for doing the legwork to dig up the stats that confirm what my eyes are telling me. I like the suggestion of calling up Blueger and Aston-Reese. That might inject some more life into the bottom 6.

I had an issue with them bringing back Cullen and now that we are 12 games in and he's got 1 goal and 2 assists, I think its time to give a guy like Teddy Blueger a shot. Cullen at age 42 doesnt need to be in the lineup every night and shouldn't.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Great58 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:25 pm

[Brassard] just does not seem to mesh well with this system.

Is it the system, or the assignment? Because surely the Penguins system is more offensively geared than anything Brassard experienced under Boucher in Ottawa where he was on track to have 57 points last season. Even with 2 minutes less ice time, and less PP time, I'd expect more of him... he's never depended on PP scoring for his production. Is there something in the Pens system that Brassard can't handle? Or is this just we have to expect from a 3C?

Or is it the wings, since after 81 and 59 there is a huge drop off in scoring talent? 72 and 62 are effective, in their roles, but aren't going to carry possession, and the rest of the Penguin forwards aren't doing much (with an asterisk with Simon, who I still think is a bit of a Crosby effect).
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:53 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
largegarlic wrote:

I had an issue with them bringing back Cullen and now that we are 12 games in and he's got 1 goal and 2 assists, I think its time to give a guy like Teddy Blueger a shot. Cullen at age 42 doesnt need to be in the lineup every night and shouldn't.

The points need to improve, but they are the smaller issue for me. Add 1 more goal and 1 more assist to his current totals, and he's right back at his previous Penguins pace of mid-30's point production.

He's having career worst faceoff numbers, his possession stats, scoring chances against, and shots/goals for % are all in the tank and near the bottom of the team. Even worse, every player except Rust (out of Simon, Sprong, Rust, Sheahan, and Hornqvist) that has played with him has better advanced stats when on a line without Cullen. Rust is the only player whose numbers improve playing with Cullen.

Give Blueger a shot, or stick Sheahan at 4C and bring up Aston-Reese.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:57 pm

Great58 wrote:

Is it the system, or the assignment? Because surely the Penguins system is more offensively geared than anything Brassard experienced under Boucher in Ottawa where he was on track to have 57 points last season. Even with 2 minutes less ice time, and less PP time, I'd expect more of him... he's never depended on PP scoring for his production. Is there something in the Pens system that Brassard can't handle? Or is this just we have to expect from a 3C?

Or is it the wings, since after 81 and 59 there is a huge drop off in scoring talent? 72 and 62 are effective, in their roles, but aren't going to carry possession, and the rest of the Penguin forwards aren't doing much (with an asterisk with Simon, who I still think is a bit of a Crosby effect).

Last year, I was more than willing to attribute the Boucher effect as part of his struggles, in addition to his injuries. After a full training camp, I don't think that excuse can be used anymore.

I really think the Penguins need a yes/no on Brassard by early December. When he is back healthy, I'd try some lines like this for a few games:

Simon-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Malkin-Sprong/Rust
Guentzel-Brassard-Kessel
Grant-Sheahan-Rust/Sprong

Brassard got time with Kessel last year and didn't show a lot. I always though Kessel and Guentzel would be good for him. If he can't make it work with those two, it won't work for him at all here.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Great58 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:32 am

‪since it now appears HCMS is planning to remove Kessel from Malkin’s wing, I’d try this when Brassard comes back:

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Simon-Malkin-Sprong
Hagelin-Brassard-Kessel
Rust-Sheahan-ZAR‬

Sid with Jake and Hornqvist is playoff proven.
HBK(2), with a more talented center.
Could Sprong be Neal2.0 playing with Geno?
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Owchar76 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:17 am

Great58 wrote:

He's been a pretty productive power play guy during his career, especially with the Rangers. His last 3 years with the Rangers he had 18, 18, and 22 power play points. In those years he averaged 54 points. That's a decent chunk of points on the PP.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:55 pm

Owchar76 wrote:
Great58 wrote:

He's been a pretty productive power play guy during his career, especially with the Rangers. His last 3 years with the Rangers he had 18, 18, and 22 power play points. In those years he averaged 54 points. That's a decent chunk of points on the PP.

You're right, his PPP% has flared as high as about 40% in the past. His PP TOI is now down about 50%. So maybe his eye test is worse than his current 0.63 ppg pace.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins