Training camp (finally!)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Training camp (finally!)

Postby Great58 on Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:44 pm

largegarlic wrote:
Great58 wrote:
RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:The team, as built now, could win the cup no doubt. The team, as built now, is almost the exact team that could not win the cup last year. Replace a well rounded firecracker like Sheary with a no-skill Simon and add Cullen and essentially you have a net-net. Going to be a fun season and we should be very good.

If that team had a reasonably healthy Malkin, Kessel, Hagelin, and Brassard along with a pre-injury version of Letang and a version of Murray that we were used to seeing, they would have beaten the Capitals. I still don't think they'd have had enough in the tank to beat the Bolts, but it wouldn't have been for a lack of talent. Now, injuries are part of the game, but when looking at lineup*, I don't see anything that suggests this team can't make it to the Eastern Conference Final.

*there's no guarantee that Letang won't struggle again, but there is some reason to think he won't be THAT bad again

That's what I think too. The difference in the Caps series was that Holtby outplayed Murray, Carlson outplayed Letang, and the Caps got more secondary scoring than the Pens. If Letang, Murray, Brassard, and Kessel play at their normal levels, the Pens win that series.

Malkin was never himself after coming back from the injury against the Flyers. As fortunate as we had been to minimize injuries during the Cup runs, they caught up to us in that series.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel on Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:08 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:
largegarlic wrote:I don't want to place too much weight on a preseason performance against Buffalo, but I'll stick for Simon again a little bit. That 3rd line looked very good Wednesday, and he was a key part of that. I went into the arena a Simon skeptic, hoping to see Aston-Reese in that role, but Simon looked good, sharper in his skating, puck handling, and decision making compared to last year. Of course, we still have to see if that carries over when the games get real, but I think he's earned a shot in the top-9 based on preseason.

I can see a lot of openings next season, so no reason to think ZAR, Riikola (though he'll be an RFA), Bleuger won't get a chance in 2019-20. The team will lose a few centers, with one of the centers (Cullen or Sheahan) as a wing. I think there is no way they sign Brassard, unless he takes about a 50% cut from the open market. Bleuger and ZAR will be able to step up next season, if they earn it. I can see one of Schultz or Letang gone next summer, or Schultz the summer after that, with Riikola moving into the lineup. Maybe not to replace one of them, but bottom pairing with everything else moving up a spot.

I think Jarry is in a different situation. By this time next year, Murray could have proven he's not injury prone and Jarry could have proven he's NHL starter ready. If that happens, who do you trade (likely Jarry, but still a question because of the salary cap).

Brassard is a tough sign because of his salary, as well as the fact that so far, he hasn't fit in well. However, if he shows this year he fits as anticipated, the Penguins would still be able to sign him (assuming he isn't upset at lack of playing time, which is a potential issue for him). Signing Brassard for 5M again would likely mean no Hagelin, or the Penguins would need to see continued growth from Riikola and consider moving Maatta/Schultz in a deal to free up more cap space.

If Brassard works well this season at 3C, I would make him a top priority to resign.

I don't see Brassard signing for the same amount he's making now and will likely price himself out of the Pens price range. I think he's a luxury the Pens won't be able to afford. I also think he'd be a top C UFA next summer, maybe Duchene and Johannson and maybe 1-2 more centers that would be more highly regarded.

Bleuger, Johnson, Sheahan (he'll be a UFA, but likely won't cost much), Angello, even Sprong (less scoring 3C if he shows he can add scoring depth) etc. should help make the decision easier if they all show they can compete for the 3C/4C positions.
Last edited by Daniel on Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel on Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:15 pm

Hatrick wrote:
Daniel wrote:
largegarlic wrote:I don't want to place too much weight on a preseason performance against Buffalo, but I'll stick for Simon again a little bit. That 3rd line looked very good Wednesday, and he was a key part of that. I went into the arena a Simon skeptic, hoping to see Aston-Reese in that role, but Simon looked good, sharper in his skating, puck handling, and decision making compared to last year. Of course, we still have to see if that carries over when the games get real, but I think he's earned a shot in the top-9 based on preseason.

I can see a lot of openings next season, so no reason to think ZAR, Riikola (though he'll be an RFA), Bleuger won't get a chance in 2019-20. The team will lose a few centers, with one of the centers (Cullen or Sheahan) as a wing. I think there is no way they sign Brassard, unless he takes about a 50% cut from the open market. Bleuger and ZAR will be able to step up next season, if they earn it. I can see one of Schultz or Letang gone next summer, or Schultz the summer after that, with Riikola moving into the lineup. Maybe not to replace one of them, but bottom pairing with everything else moving up a spot.

I think Jarry is in a different situation. By this time next year, Murray could have proven he's not injury prone and Jarry could have proven he's NHL starter ready. If that happens, who do you trade (likely Jarry, but still a question because of the salary cap).

because of the cap I don't see them resigning brass, unless like you said he takes a significant pay cut from the open market. They should go after a center in the market but it might have to be somebody cheaper.
I think all the guys you named should get a shot next year to be up the entire year(ZAR as winger, rikkola as a middle pairing or maybe bottom pairing guy, blueger as 4c or maybe even 3c, jarry as backup goalie), all of them can be sent down to AHL this year without risk losing them, and that is better than any of them sitting at the NHL level not doing anything most games.

As for jarry vs murray, its the fleury vs murray debate all over again and for the same reasons imo it would be the right move to keep jarry instead of murray. Of course that is if both prove themselves to be not injury prone NHL goalies both capable of playing reasonably well but not extraordinarily better than the other one.

I think 3 things need to be taken into consideration with Murray vs. Jarry. I don't think Murray proved he can do it without Fleury on the bench, don't blame him but that's still a question. I think this is an incredibly important year for him both in staying healthy and showing he can be the workhorse the Penguins need from 1st game to Cup Finals. Jarry has only proven in spurts, so he needs to show the organization that he's the future at goal, whether it's with the Penguins or another team.

You also have to take trade return into consideration. Is the larger return for Murray plus Jarry better than the smaller return for Jarry plus Murray.

As with any player discussion, cap space. If you trade Murray and keep Jarry, what would Jarry make compared to Murray when his contract expires?

Not an easy choice for the organization and hopefully both players make it even harder next summer since Seattle will be in the league in 2020. I don't know that the Pens would want to keep both in 2019-20 and diminish trade returns for the one traded.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:34 pm

I like how Ruhwedel is intentionally looking like a dumpster fire tonight so he can clear waivers next week.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:44 pm

Riikola is better than Oleksiak and Rhuwedel.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hatrick on Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:19 pm

Daniel wrote:
Hatrick wrote:
Daniel wrote:

because of the cap I don't see them resigning brass, unless like you said he takes a significant pay cut from the open market. They should go after a center in the market but it might have to be somebody cheaper.
I think all the guys you named should get a shot next year to be up the entire year(ZAR as winger, rikkola as a middle pairing or maybe bottom pairing guy, blueger as 4c or maybe even 3c, jarry as backup goalie), all of them can be sent down to AHL this year without risk losing them, and that is better than any of them sitting at the NHL level not doing anything most games.

As for jarry vs murray, its the fleury vs murray debate all over again and for the same reasons imo it would be the right move to keep jarry instead of murray. Of course that is if both prove themselves to be not injury prone NHL goalies both capable of playing reasonably well but not extraordinarily better than the other one.

I think 3 things need to be taken into consideration with Murray vs. Jarry. I don't think Murray proved he can do it without Fleury on the bench, don't blame him but that's still a question. I think this is an incredibly important year for him both in staying healthy and showing he can be the workhorse the Penguins need from 1st game to Cup Finals. Jarry has only proven in spurts, so he needs to show the organization that he's the future at goal, whether it's with the Penguins or another team.

You also have to take trade return into consideration. Is the larger return for Murray plus Jarry better than the smaller return for Jarry plus Murray.

As with any player discussion, cap space. If you trade Murray and keep Jarry, what would Jarry make compared to Murray when his contract expires?

Not an easy choice for the organization and hopefully both players make it even harder next summer since Seattle will be in the league in 2020. I don't know that the Pens would want to keep both in 2019-20 and diminish trade returns for the one traded.

I think both are definitely still with the organization next year, if murray proves to not be injury prone and plays a lot this year, jarry doesn't prove himself in the NHL. if jarry does prove himself of being a good nhl goalie, it is likely he only got the chance because murray was injured. So that means one of them wont have much trade value.
Even if jarry does prove himself he wont be making 5million after the two year deal he signed this past season is over. Murray when his contract does expire could possibly be making that much. Just like how keeping murray instead of fleury saved the penguins 2million a year on cap space id imagine it would be somewhat similar with jarry.
All of this is hypothetical on their play of course, would be a nice problem to have to choose since that means both would be successful the next two years.
Hatrick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:36 pm

Jarry didn’t play horrible tonight but I don’t think he’s shown enough to get an NHL spot right now especially when he would be better served playing almost every game in WBS. I think if Murray misses time he should be the call up and play and DeSmith is just the permanent backup this year which is better suited for him.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:47 pm

Phil in mid season form blowing a wide open chance.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:29 pm

Healing vibes to Dumoulin! No update yet on him. So it begins.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:55 am

I know it is not THE most important thing in the world, but, if the Penguins are looking to build out a roster for opening night that gets as close to the cap as possible, the following moves would have to be made:

--Chad Ruhwedel and Derek Grant placed on waivers.
--Trotman (already cleared waivers for 30 days) to the AHL.
--Adam Johnson recalled from the AHL.

Roster would look like this:

Forwards: Crosby, Malkin, Brassard, Sheahan, Hornqvist, Kessel, Rust, Sprong, Guentzel, Hagelin, Simon, Cullen, ZAR, Johnson
Defense: Letang, Dumoulin, Johnson, Schultz, Oleksiak, Maatta, Riikola
Goalie: Murray, DeSmith

With that roster, the Penguins are 195K from the cap limit.
With ZAR and Johnson in the AHL, and Ruhwedel and Grant on the NHL roster, the Penguins would have roughly 745K in cap space left.

There is also a chance Kevin Czuczman could start the year on the major league roster on Season Opening Injured Reserve, giving them some cap relief.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:01 am

FLPensFan wrote:I know it is not THE most important thing in the world, but, if the Penguins are looking to build out a roster for opening night that gets as close to the cap as possible, the following moves would have to be made:

Forwards: Crosby, Malkin, Brassard, Sheahan, Hornqvist, Kessel, Rust, Sprong, Guentzel, Hagelin, Simon, Cullen, ZAR, Johnson

With ZAR and Johnson in the AHL, and Ruhwedel and Grant on the NHL roster, the Penguins would have roughly 745K in cap space left.

There is also a chance Kevin Czuczman could start the year on the major league roster on Season Opening Injured Reserve, giving them some cap relief.

-If you cut Ruhwedel who is first in at RHD? You know Letang and Schultz are going to get banged up.
-I dont know what this team does with Sprong. I am more than happy going into the season with Simon - Brassard - Rust as the 3rd line. You have Kessel and Hornqvist as your top two RW's. Do you play Sprong on the 4th line with Cullen and Sheahan?
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:33 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:I know it is not THE most important thing in the world, but, if the Penguins are looking to build out a roster for opening night that gets as close to the cap as possible, the following moves would have to be made:

-If you cut Ruhwedel who is first in at RHD? You know Letang and Schultz are going to get banged up.
-I dont know what this team does with Sprong. I am more than happy going into the season with Simon - Brassard - Rust as the 3rd line. You have Kessel and Hornqvist as your top two RW's. Do you play Sprong on the 4th line with Cullen and Sheahan?

- It's moot at this point, as the Penguins haven't placed anyone on waivers.
- I think Sprong, sadly, will be the 4th line RW and a healthy scratch until someone gets injured.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:36 pm

Penguins have sent Aston-Reese and Trotman to WBS. Penguins roster is currently at 24, with 13F, 8D, 3G.

I think if Jarry was healthy, he would have been sent down and that would be your roster. What could happen is Jarry could start with the NHL club but on SOIR (Season opening IR) because he's injured. Sullivan says Dumo skated on his own, while Jarry did not....which tells me Jarry is a little further away.

Riikola still here is a bit surprising, and will be interesting to see if he goes back to WBS as soon as Dumoulin practices with the team.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penny lane on Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:01 pm

Congratulations to Riikola- the pens defensemen could use a push.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hatrick on Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:06 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Penguins have sent Aston-Reese and Trotman to WBS. Penguins roster is currently at 24, with 13F, 8D, 3G.

I think if Jarry was healthy, he would have been sent down and that would be your roster. What could happen is Jarry could start with the NHL club but on SOIR (Season opening IR) because he's injured. Sullivan says Dumo skated on his own, while Jarry did not....which tells me Jarry is a little further away.

Riikola still here is a bit surprising, and will be interesting to see if he goes back to WBS as soon as Dumoulin practices with the team.

if jarry and Dumoulin were healthy rikkola and jarry both probably sent back.
Hatrick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hatrick on Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:09 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:

rikkola plays both sides so if they got rid of ruhwedel it would be him regardless of which side the guy who gets hurt plays.(if rikkola isn't already filling in for somebody else who is injured)
Hatrick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:27 am

A friendly warning to my friends here: Be ready to cringe the first game televised on NBCSN with Riikola playing and Pierre between the benches. I just heard him on NHL Network in the car this morning, and he mentioned the Penguins have a good young defenseman in Juuso Riikola (sounds like he's getting noticed a bit around the league).

Pierre sounded like a heavily-accented Italian person saying ricotta.....only saying Riikola. It's 1000x worse than his Maatta pronunciation. You have been warned.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Prelude670 on Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:03 am

FLPensFan wrote:A friendly warning to my friends here: Be ready to cringe the first game televised on NBCSN with Riikola playing and Pierre between the benches. I just heard him on NHL Network in the car this morning, and he mentioned the Penguins have a good young defenseman in Juuso Riikola (sounds like he's getting noticed a bit around the league).

Pierre sounded like a heavily-accented Italian person saying ricotta.....only saying Riikola. It's 1000x worse than his Maatta pronunciation. You have been warned.

Thanks for the warning, I cringe at his every word!
LeeTang included! #volumeoff
Prelude670

Postby Steve on Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:59 am

Prelude670 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:A friendly warning to my friends here: Be ready to cringe the first game televised on NBCSN with Riikola playing and Pierre between the benches. I just heard him on NHL Network in the car this morning, and he mentioned the Penguins have a good young defenseman in Juuso Riikola (sounds like he's getting noticed a bit around the league).

Over/Under on when he mentions that Matt Cullen once skated for the AHL's Baltimore Bandits?
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Puck-Lurker on Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:17 am

Steve wrote:
Prelude670 wrote:

Over/Under on when he mentions that Matt Cullen once skated for the AHL's Baltimore Bandits?

At least we won't have to listen to his "Sherry" pronunciations anymore, or "Koon hokkle". Now if we can find a way to reduce the number of times he has to say "Simon" I'll be happy.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:29 am

Puck-Lurker wrote:
Steve wrote:
Prelude670 wrote:

At least we won't have to listen to his "Sherry" pronunciations anymore, or "Koon hokkle". Now if we can find a way to reduce the number of times he has to say "Simon" I'll be happy.

I'd be happy if he just actually watched the game and stop saying wrong stuff about it.

Like when he was talking about how Letang must have been hurt because Schultz was playing on the first power play unit when Schultz had been playing on the first power play unit for the last four games.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel on Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:
Steve wrote:
Prelude670 wrote:

Because he says it wrong or because Simon is playing? :fist:
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:56 pm

Daniel wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:
Steve wrote:
Prelude670 wrote:

Because he says it wrong or because Simon is playing? :fist:

Yes.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins