Juuso "Cough Drop" Rikkola Dilemna

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Juuso "Cough Drop" Rikkola Dilemna

Postby thehockeyguru on Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:38 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:Riikola is very good and smart D,but he will have his rookie ups and downs for sure... it will depend a lot on coach MS, games and minutes management. I hope he makes it, I like what I saw from him in few games..

I'd like to see him get a start here and there over Maatta.

I'd rather see him playing in Mohegan Sun Arena than sitting in a press box in PPG Paints Arena.

Injuries are going to happen so he's going to get his chance sooner or later. But I agree. Let him build on his good play at WBS if he is just going to sit here.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Maestro on Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:56 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:
Jim wrote:
Maestro wrote:
Jim wrote:
Maestro wrote:Rikkola will be a very solid top 4 dman for years to come.

Wow

Juuso in there rather than Dumo last night and Pens win 6-3

Wow

I wasn't aware Riikola could play goalie...

Colour me impressed.

I'll assume you didn't watch the game.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:01 pm

There are enough others that could be blamed for 6 WSH goals, was my point.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Maestro on Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:20 pm

Fair enough - but in game 1 - the Orpik goal - who was the partial screen on Murray? - Dumoulin - The next one where Ovi got the free chip right in front of Murray - who left the #1 goal scorer over the past 10 years wide open? - Dumoulin - either he isn't healthy or he is not prepared to start the regular season.

Maatta has been poor as well.

The entire defense looks bad. I am suggesting some kind of change to break that trend.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penguins Knight on Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:10 am

no name wrote:No need to rush this guy, since he doesn't need to pass waivers you start him in WBS, you know an injury is going to happen at some point then you can send him up and see if he can displace someone and get a spot in the top 6. Rudy is sufficient to play the 7th D for now. I don't put Riikola in the 7th spot since he would be better off get top line minutes in WBS.

No doubt its nice to have some depth D in the waiting.

I think the Penguins' depth in defensemen has been unnoticeable. The Penguins can use more defensemen who play defense and do not have puck management problems. I would like to see a good challenge with top four defensemen occupying six spots on the roster.
Penguins Knight

Postby Maestro on Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:55 pm

It's early doors (as some say in London) but looks like they are rotating dmen at practice and cough drop comes out of the bag on TR.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ville5 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:12 pm

Translating Maestro's post to English- Riikola took Maatta's spot in the top 6 at practice.
Dumo-Tang
Johnson- Schultz
Oleksiak- Riikola.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:50 pm

Always exciting to witness a debut... 34 years ago today #66 decided to make a memory.
Good luck Juuso.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Puck-Lurker on Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:16 pm

Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Maestro on Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:38 am

Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:22 pm

I thought Riikola struggled last night.

That being so, Sully's hands are tied if he wanted to give him nacho duty, with Schultz being out with an injury.

Tang-Dumo
Olli-JJ
Rig-Riikolaaaaaa
xWeedle
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:45 am

Puck-Lurker wrote:I thought Riikola struggled last night.

What? I thought that he was sliced bread to sliced bread...
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:41 am

Puck-Lurker wrote:I thought Riikola struggled last night.

That being so, Sully's hands are tied if he wanted to give him nacho duty, with Schultz being out with an injury.

Tang-Dumo
Olli-JJ
Rig-Riikolaaaaaa
xWeedle

Right now, Riikola's 5x5 shot suppression numbers are the worst out of the Penguins 7 defenseman to have played this season. CF% is 36.36, and actual shots on goal SF% is 32.50. This is a really difficult stat to use with the Penguins right now, however, seeing that they have been outshot in 3 of their 4 games, and overall through 4 games the Penguins have had 45 more shots against than for, 74-119.

Consider this as well (5x5 numbers):
Riikola's numbers with Oleksiak: CF% 45.95, SF% 42.11
Riikola's numbers with Maatta: CF% 6.67, SF% 16.67
Riikola's numbers with anyone else: CF% 40, SF% 26.67

Also consider this:
For all those shots against, Riikola has only been on the ice for 1 goal against at 5x5 play. That's best on the team in terms of defenseman. Oleksiak and Maatta are next lowest with 3 each.
Letang and Dumoulin have the best CF% and SF% on the defensive side, both a little above 50%. They've also both been on the ice for 6 goals against.
Do you want to give up shots, or do you want to give up goals?

A big thing that is missed, is that CF% and even SF% don't tell you where the shots are coming from. A team can fire 30 shot attempts from just inside the blue line, or 30 shot attempts 5 feet in front of the goalie. Corsi and Shots For aren't going to tell you that. Riikola has only 4 High Danger Scoring Chances Against, lowest of the Penguins defenseman. I'm sure some of that is skewed because he has about half the ice time as the others from only playing two games. Johnson and Schultz, meanwhile, have 12 High Danger Scoring Chances Against. That's a bit concerning, especially with Johnson supposedly this bigger, crease clearing type guy.....he's still giving up more in close chances.

Conclusion
=========
Really need 6-12 games for Riikola to really get a handle on his play and his numbers. I do agree, Game 2 for him was not as strong as Game 1, but it wasn't horrible either. Again, Toronto will be a good test for him.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Maestro on Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:55 pm

As you are saying near the end FL, there is not enough data for analyzing trends yet. Let's wait until November at least.
I get the day to day reality of winning - but that relies on eye tests (he is not solid enough in his own zone at NHL level at this time). you can use the numbers to back that up - but those numbers could fluctuate wildly over the next several weeks.

In order for trends to be of practical use (that is reducing error in conclusions to under .10, preferably to .05, or even .01) more data are required.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:03 pm

Maestro wrote:As you are saying near the end FL, there is not enough data for analyzing trends yet. Let's wait until November at least.
I get the day to day reality of winning - but that relies on eye tests (he is not solid enough in his own zone at NHL level at this time). you can use the numbers to back that up - but those numbers could fluctuate wildly over the next several weeks.

In order for trends to be of practical use (that is reducing error in conclusions to under .10, preferably to .05, or even .01) more data are required.

:thumb:
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins