Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

Coming to Pens game 10/06

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Coming to Pens game 10/06

Postby Steve Dave on Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:38 am

My girl and I are coming to Pittsburgh for the MTL game and I was wondering if there are any helpful tips you could share (parking, eating, shopping, extra curriculars, etc.) that would be greatly appreciated. We are staying at a place near the zoo. Thanks in advance and go Pens!
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Coming to Pens game 10/06

Postby Jim on Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:56 am

Near the zoo? I assume that you are driving in. These kind of requests end up as just a giant list of places not far from simply doing a Google search.

To narrow it down, haw about some info? How long are you here? How many meals are you looking at? Looking for beer related activities? Any restaurant types that you don't like? Etc...
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby LimerickPensFan on Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:14 am

My wife and I have always stayed in the hotel next to the arena. It's great to be able to have a few at the game and not have to worry about driving or going anywhere. I guess the rest depends on if you've been to the city before. If you haven't, park at Station Square and take the incline up to Mt. Washington for that iconic view. Trust me, pictures don't do that view justice. If you have time, take a Gateway Clipper cruise. Leave the car at Station Square and take the T to the game.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Steve Dave on Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:17 am

Jim wrote:Near the zoo? I assume that you are driving in. These kind of requests end up as just a giant list of places not far from simply doing a Google search.

To narrow it down, haw about some info? How long are you here? How many meals are you looking at? Looking for beer related activities? Any restaurant types that you don't like? Etc...

Driving in Sat afternoon so will have a few hrs prior to gametime. Looking to grab something to eat before the game. We aren’t big drinkers like we used to be. She eats healthier than i do so nothing fast food like.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:19 am

LimerickPensFan wrote:My wife and I have always stayed in the hotel next to the arena. It's great to be able to have a few at the game and not have to worry about driving or going anywhere. I guess the rest depends on if you've been to the city before. If you haven't, park at Station Square and take the incline up to Mt. Washington for that iconic view. Trust me, pictures don't do that view justice. If you have time, take a Gateway Clipper cruise. Leave the car at Station Square and take the T to the game.

I’d like to do the incline either before or after the game. If before, are there good places to eat at the top?
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:49 am

Steve Dave wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:My wife and I have always stayed in the hotel next to the arena. It's great to be able to have a few at the game and not have to worry about driving or going anywhere. I guess the rest depends on if you've been to the city before. If you haven't, park at Station Square and take the incline up to Mt. Washington for that iconic view. Trust me, pictures don't do that view justice. If you have time, take a Gateway Clipper cruise. Leave the car at Station Square and take the T to the game.

I’d like to do the incline either before or after the game. If before, are there good places to eat at the top?

It's been almost 30 years since I've eaten up there (I live in Philly now and with kids...). There used to be a couple of restaurants with some stunning views. I think for them you'd want to use the incline that's further up the Ohio. Here's a Google search. Unfortunately, it looks like the earliest any of them open is 4pm, so it might be difficult to eat and then get to the game on time. I'll let people that have been there recently let you know that, though. By the way, LeMont was one of the restaurants I have eaten at. Expensive, but as I said, the view is stunning.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mt.+washington+restaurants+pittsburgh&rlz=1C1CHWA_enUS595US595&oq=Mt.+Washington+res&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.6783j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:03 am

There are so many places to eat at in Downtown Pittsburgh; wild.
Plus almost all have outdoor seating, so very European. :D
http://downtownpittsburgh.com/
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jim on Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:52 pm

I ironically said that posts like this end up being a list like doing a Google search... but this on got an actual Google search link. ****!
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Steve Dave on Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:39 am

I appreciate the responses. I wanted your opinions over what you get googling.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ville5 on Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:58 am

https://www.eat-gaucho.com
1.3 miles from arena. Can get busy I understand.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:20 am

Steve Dave wrote:I appreciate the responses. I wanted your opinions over what you get googling.

What time do you expect to get in the Pittsburgh area on Saturday, and when are you heading out to head back home?
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Steve Dave on Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:20 am

FLPensFan wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:I appreciate the responses. I wanted your opinions over what you get googling.

What time do you expect to get in the Pittsburgh area on Saturday, and when are you heading out to head back home?

Arrival around 3pm and leaving around noon Sunday. I’ve been there a few times before but always had a hotel downtown so parking wasnt a big thing. I’m just unsure about what the best strategy would be as far as parking/pre game etc.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ville5 on Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:45 am

Steve Dave wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

Arrival around 3pm and leaving around noon Sunday. I’ve been there a few times before but always had a hotel downtown so parking wasnt a big thing. I’m just unsure about what the best strategy would be as far as parking/pre game etc.

Last time we didn't have time to check into the hotel before gametime, I think it was $20 at the arena lot. The place right across the street got high marks from Great58. It's called Buford's Kitchen.
The Souper Bowl is also right across the street. I haven't been to those yet. They can get rather busy. But 3:00 arrival should be plenty of time. Pretty sure there's a TGIFs right next door.
Market Square is like a 10 minute walk. Has various food establishments. NOLA was alright. Primantis is there, Starbucks and many others. Enjoy.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Cow_Master66 on Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:46 am

Plenty within walking distance but we usually hit Pizza Milanos down the street (away from town). Decent pizza, beer, usually get seat quick.
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins