Game 1: Washington Capitals pre-game talk

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 1: Washington Capitals pre-game talk

Postby Jim on Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:23 am

This isn't quite right as Hornqvist was out game 1 last year... but the roster being put on the ice by the Pens for the opening of the season this year vs last year:

Sheary, Reaves, Kuhnhackl, Rowney, Wilson and McKegg replaced by
Brassard, Sheahan, Sprong, Cullen, Simon and Grant

Cole and Hunwick replaced by
Johnson and Oleksiak

Basically completely new 3rd and 4th forward lines and new 3rd pair D (in general). That's considerable.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:49 am

It’s more than considerable. It’s an impressive short term rebuild after losing some really good players and leaders in a short time after a 2nd consecutive Cup.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby E-Ramone on Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:02 am

Never thought I'd be excited to see a 4th line play, but this 4th line looks really good. Like others have said, the depth right now is impressive.
E-Ramone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby LimerickPensFan on Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:06 am

DK has a piece on Sheahan and why he stayed here this year when he could have probably gotten a lot more on the market and ended up playing more minutes elsewhere. If you have an account with them, it's here:

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2018/10/03/column-penguins-culture/

Anyway, a little tidbit DK threw in at the end
Until speaking with Sheahan on this day, it hadn’t occurred to me but, wow, he and Cullen are going to be able to cheat like crazy on faceoffs this winter. Think about it: Try to get away with murder, get tossed, and have another superior faceoff guy take your place.

“Ha! Well, maybe we’ve talked about that, and maybe we haven’t,” Sheahan responded with a laugh. “I know this: I played against Cully when I was in Detroit, and I hated taking draws against him. Just hated it.”
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ejd43 on Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:09 am

I’m just excited period. To me, last year there wasn’t much of an off-season, and in a way I lost some fire in me as a fan. I think I was hung over from back to back cups. Now, a long off season, made me miss the pens that much more, and can’t wait until the pens raise their 3rd cup in 4 seasons.

LETS GO!!!!
ejd43
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:25 am

JOY~ every game is a gift with Sid and Evgeni. Matt Murray, you got this. Did you all read, Murray is starting a charity, savesMatter https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/matt- ... -300581156

Kick butt, have fun!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: Advent is perfect for the start of good play- teamwork.

Postby Penspal on Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:07 am

Let's Go Pens!
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:21 am

Jim wrote:This isn't quite right as Hornqvist was out game 1 last year... but the roster being put on the ice by the Pens for the opening of the season this year vs last year:

Sheary, Reaves, Kuhnhackl, Rowney, Wilson and McKegg replaced by
Brassard, Sheahan, Sprong, Cullen, Simon and Grant

Cole and Hunwick replaced by
Johnson and Oleksiak

Basically completely new 3rd and 4th forward lines and new 3rd pair D (in general). That's considerable.

Wow this team looks a lot stronger than last years. I think Rutherford realized other GMs won't trade with him he will go out and find a way to build the team from free agency signing. But he does have pieces to move at the deadline if need be. The Johnson Oleksiak are the ones I am kinda on the fence about. Not totally sold on either one of them but leaving an open mind to see what they can do with us.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby IntangibleBeer on Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:56 am

ZAR was the victim of Tom Wilson's cheapshots. I've lost track. Where is he now?
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby johnnews on Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:58 am

LimerickPensFan wrote:DK has a piece on Sheahan and why he stayed here this year when he could have probably gotten a lot more on the market and ended up playing more minutes elsewhere. If you have an account with them, it's here:

Until speaking with Sheahan on this day, it hadn’t occurred to me but, wow, he and Cullen are going to be able to cheat like crazy on faceoffs this winter. Think about it: Try to get away with murder, get tossed, and have another superior faceoff guy take your place.

“Ha! Well, maybe we’ve talked about that, and maybe we haven’t,” Sheahan responded with a laugh. “I know this: I played against Cully when I was in Detroit, and I hated taking draws against him. Just hated it.”

Hello Limerick fan. I'm in Downingtown. Love the golf courses up your way. Let's go Pens!!
johnnews
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:11 pm

IntangibleBeer wrote:ZAR was the victim of Tom Wilson's cheapshots. I've lost track. Where is he now?

All healed up but victim of depth and being waiver exempt so he will get 18 a night in WBS to be the first call up from injury.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Dr Rosenrosen on Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:22 pm

johnnews wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:DK has a piece on Sheahan and why he stayed here this year when he could have probably gotten a lot more on the market and ended up playing more minutes elsewhere. If you have an account with them, it's here:

Hello Limerick fan. I'm in Downingtown. Love the golf courses up your way. Let's go Pens!!

Pronounced Dahnintahn, yes?
Dr Rosenrosen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby IntangibleBeer on Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:33 pm

DelPen wrote:
IntangibleBeer wrote:ZAR was the victim of Tom Wilson's cheapshots. I've lost track. Where is he now?

All healed up but victim of depth and being waiver exempt so he will get 18 a night in WBS to be the first call up from injury.

Thanks!! :thumb:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby maudineormsby on Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:35 pm

Super excited that hockey is back! Lets Go Pens!
maudineormsby
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins