Game 1 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 1 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:33 am

Pens win 7-6 in OT

- It was as ugly as it was beautiful, but it was our Pens with the glorious OT win to start the season!
- Letang has looked very much like his old self this preseason, last night proved it, he's back and look out Loretta
- Geno & Phil were giveaway machines, but they also looked smooth like butter when given the chance. Hags will be first man back often.
- Holtby beat the Pens last year, but he's 2 shots from cowering to this team.... Can't believe coaches kept them both in there all night
- Six goals against Murray, two of them he should of stopped imho. Tough night for him, but he's shown he can bounce back... like water off a duck's back
- Prediction: Pens will beat last year's team record for pplay markers....
- Even without Wilson, seeing "birdman" Kuznetsov reminded me how much I despise the Caps. Maybe Gritty will turn the tide, but for now, Caps are enemy #1 for me
- Might have been the best game I've ever seen Brassard play. That 3rd line is going to be really good this year... Can they keep it together?
- Backstrom is such a great player, and he's even got a little "greasy element" in his game as Bobby pointed out last night.
- JJ looked like a 3rd pairing dman last night, didn't really show me much, but I'll give him 15 games to fit in before calling for Riikola ;)
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Game 1 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Daniel on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:01 am

Penspal wrote:Pens win 7-6 in OT

- It was as ugly as it was beautiful, but it was our Pens with the glorious OT win to start the season!
- Letang has looked very much like his old self this preseason, last night proved it, he's back and look out Loretta
- Geno & Phil were giveaway machines, but they also looked smooth like butter when given the chance. Hags will be first man back often.
- Holtby beat the Pens last year, but he's 2 shots from cowering to this team.... Can't believe coaches kept them both in there all night
- Six goals against Murray, two of them he should of stopped imho. Tough night for him, but he's shown he can bounce back... like water off a duck's back
- Prediction: Pens will beat last year's team record for pplay markers....
- Even without Wilson, seeing "birdman" Kuznetsov reminded me how much I despise the Caps. Maybe Gritty will turn the tide, but for now, Caps are enemy #1 for me
- Might have been the best game I've ever seen Brassard play. That 3rd line is going to be really good this year... Can they keep it together?
- Backstrom is such a great player, and he's even got a little "greasy element" in his game as Bobby pointed out last night.
- JJ looked like a 3rd pairing dman last night, didn't really show me much, but I'll give him 15 games to fit in before calling for Riikola ;)

I think it was just a first home game excitement for the players. Trying to do too much to entertain the fans and just not 100% in sync yet. No big deal and I think the team tightened up a bit in the 3rd and will continue to over the next week or so. Last season, the Penguins were losing these games so good to see a W while they work out the kinks.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby midd on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:20 am

Murray goes down way too much and gets killed by having such a weak glove side. He needs to stay up more to fill the space to compensate that weakness.
midd
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pruezy11881 on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:29 am

I also noticed that when Murray attemps a glove save, he has a hitch. He has his glove in position, then he drops it slightly before bringing it back up. It doesn't seem like much but that fraction of a second is a big deal when a shot is coming at 85-90MPH. It's always easier to start lower with the glove and raise than it is than vice versa. I'd be willing to bet that it'd improve his save percentage glove side if he fixed that little move.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Southern Fan on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:29 am

Goon free hockey nice to watch.

Don’t know if Dumo was that bad or Caps are that good

Watching Johnson carry the puck out of the defense zone was great. Not sure why he’s getting hate from some.

Saw an article about soft boards and an active puck. Supposedly causing chaos for defense and goalies.

If Murray can be a middle of the pack goalie and not turn into Niemi, we should be okay.

All lines looked good. Please handle the puck better Phil.

I don’t miss Carter Rowney or Greg McKegg.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Cow_Master66 on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:37 am

Excited to read the goaltender coaching analysis on this board for the next 9 months.
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby KG on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:41 am

Great to see the offense is firing on all cylinders.

Would love! To see the group tighten defensively. From goaltending out. It’s a team effort and mindset.

Sprong with 6 minutes of ice time isn’t helping anyone. Couple more games of that, then press box...start up the trade rumors again.

Take the win. But they need to tighten up.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Admin on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:42 am

Southern Fan wrote:Saw an article about soft boards and an active puck. Supposedly causing chaos for defense and goalies.

You meant rock-hard boards, right? Errey said last night they spent $400k to upgrade the boards.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Antonio on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:51 am

I didn't even know sprong played honestly until I checked the box score.

Murray has one of the worst glove hands I've ever seen and continues to show me what I've always thought, that he's a mediocre goaltender.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:55 am

It felt like every shot either team took would go in. Mostly because both teams decided to play the worst team defense I've seen since the 80s. Forwards were not getting back in the d-zone all night. Caps should've scored 20 goals.

Sprong looks overmatched. In that role, ZAR is superior. Agreed on the 3rd line, looked solid. Our top line was amazing and Jake, wow if he keeps this up, how do we afford him?
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:58 am

- The new boards are definitely a factor, something to watch for going forward. Something that a smart home team would take advantage of.
- Dumo didn't have a great game, better now in game 1 than later in the year. He's been great so often... he more than deserves a pass for a sub par game.
- Agree, goon free was a delight. Both teams hit guys from behind, but more a pin than a hit, but they COULD HAVE killed each other many times (respect was there)
- Anyone notice Tom Hanks lose his $$%$ about something on the quick shot of him? :)
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:00 am

Admin wrote:
Southern Fan wrote:Saw an article about soft boards and an active puck. Supposedly causing chaos for defense and goalies.

You meant rock-hard boards, right? Errey said last night they spent $400k to upgrade the boards.

I understood the upgrade to result in bouncier pucks and more give for taking/receiving body checks, with the hope that it was for improved player safety.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Weegie on Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:14 am

It surely looked like the first game of the season, in fact it looked like the All Star game and at times like a pickup game, very little hitting, speed wasn't there most times, but again it was the first game, Caps are still hungover from finally winning the Cup, Pens looking to get it back again and fit these new guys in.

But yes it looked like every other shot would find it's way into the net, not a good showing for either goalie.
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby murphydump55 on Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:17 am

The best Brassard has ever looked? He had a career before coming to Pittsburgh, do people forget this??? He did look like the old Brassard last night.

Johnson looked like a 3rd pairing defenseman? 58% CF, 3rd best among dmen while only starting 36% of his shifts in the offensive zone. Another case of the eye test failing. I wasn’t a fan of the signing but if this is what he’s going to do nightly, I’m on board.

Murray wasn’t great at times but to hear people blaming him for OV’s deflection was hilarious. He obviously needs to be better and probably will. Fleury had a .668 save% last night. I’m guessing now that there’s expectations on MAF, he’ll revert back to headcase Fleury. Oh and Rask was .737 in his first this year. I’m not worried yet.

Kessel’s turnovers going back to last season worry me. Tons on the PP, not getting shots through and just weak when he knows he has to take contact.

Sullivan’s deployment of Sprong is reminiscent of Reaves.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby penny lane on Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:31 am

It is amazing to watch the talent of pens/caps. But, both teams go crazy when they play each other. It's good to get this one out of the way early. I was happy, Birdman, Kuznetsov did not score a goal.

I thought Jack Johnson had a fine game, new team and all. I saw him slow Ovechkin a few times. Also he seems to be a fluid skater. I would be happy to see #50 get an opportunity for Dumoulin on Saturday. While he scored a couple of assists, I'd rather he stop the other guys from scoring.

I like having Sergei on the bench for the D- although it may be hard to hear who is talking to whom.

Pens / Caps; has it reached the red sox/yankees ?
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Admin on Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:33 am

Penspal wrote:- Anyone notice Tom Hanks lose his $$%$ about something on the quick shot of him? :)

His nacho cheese WAS ****ING COLD!! :lol:
Admin
Site Admin

Postby largegarlic on Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:33 am

It reminded me a lot of the playoff series last year. The Pens had lots of turnovers and lax play in the defensive zone; Murray let in a couple softies; Crosby and Guentzel were on fire. The difference was that Holtby wasn't superhuman, and the Pens got some secondary offense from the 3rd line and the d-men. I'm not at all worried yet--any win in the home opener against the Caps is great--but hopefully they can clean up the mistakes going forward.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Admin on Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:35 am

penny lane wrote:I like having Sergei on the bench for the D- although it may be hard to hear who is talking to whom.

Was Gonchar getting an earful from Sullivan after that second Oshie goal?
Admin
Site Admin

Postby penny lane on Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:40 am

Admin wrote:
penny lane wrote:I like having Sergei on the bench for the D- although it may be hard to hear who is talking to whom.

Was Gonchar getting an earful from Sullivan after that second Oshie goal?

Something akin to Coach Boone saying, I'm taking over the defense if they score again~Remember the Titans. 8-)

Poetic justice with Letang scoring in OT. :thumb:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Humperdink on Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:25 am

Craps are going miss #43. More open ice. The only hit of note was Ovenchicken on Brass.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:27 pm

murphydump55 wrote:The best Brassard has ever looked? He had a career before coming to Pittsburgh, do people forget this??? He did look like the old Brassard last night.

Johnson looked like a 3rd pairing defenseman? 58% CF, 3rd best among dmen while only starting 36% of his shifts in the offensive zone. Another case of the eye test failing. I wasn’t a fan of the signing but if this is what he’s going to do nightly, I’m on board.

Murray wasn’t great at times but to hear people blaming him for OV’s deflection was hilarious. He obviously needs to be better and probably will. Fleury had a .668 save% last night. I’m guessing now that there’s expectations on MAF, he’ll revert back to headcase Fleury. Oh and Rask was .737 in his first this year. I’m not worried yet.

Kessel’s turnovers going back to last season worry me. Tons on the PP, not getting shots through and just weak when he knows he has to take contact.

Sullivan’s deployment of Sprong is reminiscent of Reaves.
\

Best Brassard has looked in a Penguin uni..... fixed.

Johnson does not know the systems well yet (assumption), he held onto the puck a couple of times FAR longer than we are used to seeing from Pens dmen. Don't believe he even was credited with a shot on net..... the score was 8-7 and he had PP time. So, while I understand your reference to the "eye test", I did not "test him" so to speak, just felt that he played like a guy who should be slotted #5 dman... Just comments man, not goign to get sucked into some analytics vs eye test stuff (there are plenty of others who will happily take you up on that).

Kessel made some "soft" passes last night resulting in turnovers... I suspect he'll tidy those up.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:29 pm

Admin wrote:
Penspal wrote:- Anyone notice Tom Hanks lose his $$%$ about something on the quick shot of him? :)

Haha, I thought maybe it was his coffee cause he just took a drink. He normally come across as very reserved, funny to see for sure.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Admin on Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:49 pm

Penspal wrote:
Admin wrote:

Haha, I thought maybe it was his coffee cause he just took a drink. He normally come across as very reserved, funny to see for sure.

My bad. He said, "THIS IS NOT ARTISINAL ***ING SUGAR!"
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Penspal on Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:55 pm

Admin wrote:
Penspal wrote:
Admin wrote:

My buddy has put the clip online, can I quote you on that ;)
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Admin on Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:57 pm

Penspal wrote:
Admin wrote:
Penspal wrote:
Admin wrote:

My buddy has put the clip online, can I quote you on that ;)

Of course! :lol:
Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins