Game 1 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 1 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Dr Rosenrosen on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:14 pm

It looked me like he was shouting encouragement right before the face off. I guess it did look funny in hindsight.
Dr Rosenrosen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby LimerickPensFan on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:21 pm

Gotta cut down on the giveaways. According to DK, the NHL average for giveaways in a game is around 6.

Malkin had 3
Maatta had 3

That's two players that gaveaway what the average team does.

Kessel and Schultz each had 2.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby midd on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:58 pm

Get used to it. That glove side is an achilles heel.

Cow_Master66 wrote:Excited to read the goaltender coaching analysis on this board for the next 9 months.
midd
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby stonewizard51 on Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:46 pm

I sincerely hope what they did last night was 1st game jitters. I liked the offense but not so much the defense. I hope Sully put them through their paces today. That wasn't pretty but a win is a win.
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Skatingpen on Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:16 pm

Would be a big blow if they missed on Sprong. Not enough picks to be missing on the few they had. IMO
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby murphydump55 on Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:09 pm

Skatingpen wrote:Would be a big blow if they missed on Sprong. Not enough picks to be missing on the few they had. IMO

We’ll never know if they missed if he only gets 6 minutes a night.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby LimerickPensFan on Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:34 pm

Skatingpen wrote:Would be a big blow if they missed on Sprong. Not enough picks to be missing on the few they had. IMO

Yeah, damn. They'll only have won two cups in a ten-year span. That's a big blow.

Pens fans are so spoiled.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Malkintent on Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:37 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:

Yeah, damn. They'll only have won two cups in a ten-year span. That's a big blow.

Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Postby LimerickPensFan on Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:28 am

Malkintent wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:

That 2009 one just seems so long ago...
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby longtimefan on Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:45 am

I was at the game, and really enjoyed it. Game ones are always a little special. For the players too. When I jumped on the boards though, everything seemed about 90% negative. Pens fans are really spoiled. They turned the puck over way too much, and they made some boneheaded plays. But my feeling at the game was that the Pens were the better team for the vast majority of it. The opponent should be considered. Not because they're the champs, but because they are the Capitals. This is the 14th season for the Crosby/Ovechkin rivalry. Both teams have strong nucleuses that have been competing with one another for over a decade. There's not a lot of surprises. To me, it was a typical Pens-Caps game. With way more postives than negatives.

Blowing third period, two goal leads is never good. The one play that cost them was Malkin's errant pass that Oshie intercepted and scored. It's the personality of the team. It has been since Mario Lemieux was drafted. The Pens have had highly skilled players who take chances. There's nothing wrong with a 7-4 lead, and that's their mind set. Difference makers want to create. It's a line the team has to be careful of. By the same token, they've won five cups with pretty much the same balancing act. The regular season is a different breed. The Pens will often confound us, but the end results have been both glorious and entertaining. Now, having said all that, here's what I saw, which seems to be backed up by the stats.

They came out jittery in the first. It was 3-2 less than 9 minutes in, and the Pens had already committed, I believe 9 of their 16 turnovers. Murray let 3 of his first 4 shots past him. I was looking to yank him personally. By the end of the first, the Caps had that lead, plus a 10 to 5 advantage in shots.

The game changed at the beginning of the second. Quickly, as Letang scored in the first minute. The Pens ended up outshooting the Caps 23-16 in the second period. Highly entertaining hockey! It shouldn't be lost that Murray bounced back by stopping 15 0f 16, and the Pens had taken a 5-4 lead.

After Geno scored to make it 6-4, the game should have been over. They had several chances to extend the lead, including a Malkn breakaway. It's in their DNA to try to score. The error was Geno trying an outlet pass towards the middle of the ice, when the situation called for just chipping it out of the zone. Too much confidence. Then you get the deflection, and it's tied. I still thought the Pens were the better team, and they were fortunate enough to get the PP in OT. Very entertaining Pens-Caps game. I've seen a ton of them. Is the glass half full, or half empty? The Pens gave up 6 goals. They also put 7 up on the Stanley Cup Champions who shutout Boston the night before.

Here a some interesting tidbits, reinforcing my opinion that the Pens were the better team after the first period.

-The Pens team CF% for was 56.19

-They had a 36-26 shot advantage after the first

-They drew 6 minor penalties, and only committed 2. They ended up scoring twice, for 33.3%. They killed the Caps vaunted PP off twice, with Murray being big on the second kill.

-I've seen a lot written about Sprong only receiving 6:47 in ice time, but Cullen only got 9:43, and Simon only got 9:51. Ice time is going to be a challenge all season with so much depth.

-Simon made the most of his ice time with a team leading 78.9% CF. Brassard was 2nd at 74.1. The third line looks very promising.

-Jack Johnson led all dmen with 17:23 TOI at even strenghth. Letang was 2nd, at 15:42. For the record, JJ's CF% was 58.1.

-The Pens won 53% of their faceoffs

-Letang looked like Letang. Warts and all. 2G 1A, includeing the GW. A nice start, and a nice boost to his confidence.

-After the 1st, I thought Murrray looked fine. Not spectacular, but I didn't think any of the goals could be labeled as bad goals.

Yes, they need to tighten up. But there were a lot of good signs in this game. I'm very excited to see where this team can go.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Skatingpen on Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:25 pm

Guess who said it? “"For me, it's about protecting our players and having repeat offenders with things like that I think need to be dealt with differently,"
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:09 pm

Skatingpen wrote:Guess who said it? “"For me, it's about protecting our players and having repeat offenders with things like that I think need to be dealt with differently,"

Oshie.

Not exactly sportsmanlike from Eller to taunt the opposing bench after scoring the 7th, but he sure got hammered badly for it. Marchand launches five punches before Eller even got the gloves off, then gets in two big shots to the head.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:30 pm

Todd Reirden said it. The coach who somewhat excused Wilson’s latest excursion down Blindside Avenue.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Skatingpen on Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:33 pm

Humperdink wrote:Todd Reirden said it. The coach who somewhat excused Wilson’s latest excursion down Blindside Avenue.

Winner winner....... amazing right?
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sigwolf on Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:22 pm

Skatingpen wrote:
Humperdink wrote:Todd Reirden said it. The coach who somewhat excused Wilson’s latest excursion down Blindside Avenue.

Winner winner....... amazing right?

You mean the same coach that made the asinine quote about what a "strong message" his team was sending about defending the Cup after a regular season game 1 win? I guess game 2 sent a "strong message" that the Caps were ready to play .500 hockey...
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins