Official GDT: Pens vs Habs 10/6/18

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Habs 10/6/18

Postby Southern Fan on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:36 pm

Pretty easy shut out so far for Price
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:37 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:Murray really is sucking.

I have never been able to wrap my head around people that watch a goal like that and think it is the goalie's fault.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:38 pm

Southern Fan wrote:Pretty easy shut out so far for Price

I can’t think of a good save he had to make. Any good chance hit the post.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PaLionking on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:38 pm

I think the Pens are missing this one too. No one is playing worth a darn.
PaLionking
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Owchar76 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:38 pm

Huh? A deflection because of a horrible, lazy defensive effort by our star and it's on Murray?

This team is awful all around in EVERY single zone and you're blaming Murray? haha
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Faubert5 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:39 pm

DelPen wrote:
Skatingpen wrote:Pull Murray

Because everyone in front of him is **** him over?

Pulling the goalie isn't always about the goalie. Tough to pull 18 skaters who aren't doing their job.
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Postby Owchar76 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:39 pm

wondermoose wrote:

I have never been able to wrap my head around people that watch a goal like that and think it is the goalie's fault.

I know why.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Skatingpen on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:39 pm

DelPen wrote:

Nope to save him from having to play behind this crap for another period and a half
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:39 pm

Since every third word out of my mouth is Sprong anymore, can I mention that I absolutely hate the Penguins usage of Sprong on the PP. I get that he is pretty decent at deflections, but cementing your feet in the high slot gives him almost zero chance to be in position to receive a pass. He's in a spot that usually your 6'6" goon would play.

He should be used more in a Kessel type role, on the LW boards, and allowed to drift to the slot as needed. Really looks like he has been told, when we gain possession of the puck on the PP, get to the slot and don't move.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:40 pm

wondermoose wrote:

I was justly ripping Murray last game and most of the playoffs but no one can put any of these goals on him. Habs are getting the bounces combined with inept defense by the players in front of him.

Swap goalies and it’s still 4-0. Hell, put Troy Crosby in net for Montreal and it’s still 4-0.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Skatingpen on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:41 pm

Sheahan has been noticeable all night
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Admin on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:41 pm

Comeback starts now?
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Owchar76 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:41 pm

Sprong creates a goal. This will go unnoticed by the coaching staff, yet a minor error will be blown up like you can't believe.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:41 pm

Fourth line, baby. Take *bleeping* note, Sully!
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:41 pm

Faubert5 wrote:
DelPen wrote:

Pulling the goalie isn't always about the goalie. Tough to pull 18 skaters who aren't doing their job.

Just checking, agree that it might have been message sending time to the team.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:42 pm

Hey look, a few good plays in a row by Sprong, and a 4th line goal. Huh, how bout that. Good forecheck, good pass to the point, and he probably won't get a point out of this.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:42 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Since every third word out of my mouth is Sprong anymore, can I mention that I absolutely hate the Penguins usage of Sprong on the PP. I get that he is pretty decent at deflections, but cementing your feet in the high slot gives him almost zero chance to be in position to receive a pass. He's in a spot that usually your 6'6" goon would play.

He should be used more in a Kessel type role, on the LW boards, and allowed to drift to the slot as needed. Really looks like he has been told, when we gain possession of the puck on the PP, get to the slot and don't move.

That’s what he did well in WBS all last year
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Admin on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:42 pm

Second assist to Sprong.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby stonewizard51 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:43 pm

I didn't think they had one in them. Nice goal
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:43 pm

Admin wrote:Second assist to Sprong.

Couldn't tell if Cullen got a stick on the puck to shovel it over to Sheahan. Looks like right now, the point is Sprong's.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Owchar76 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:44 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Since every third word out of my mouth is Sprong anymore, can I mention that I absolutely hate the Penguins usage of Sprong on the PP. I get that he is pretty decent at deflections, but cementing your feet in the high slot gives him almost zero chance to be in position to receive a pass. He's in a spot that usually your 6'6" goon would play.

People can point fingers at players all night, but I agree with MD55 in that this clown show is on the coaching staff. The defensive zone coverage is a joke, there's no transition game, the power play with Kessel on the right side and Sprong in the high slot is ridiculous, and the treatment of Sprong is bad too. I hate that young players get the shortest leash while veterans get a ton of slack.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:44 pm

That’s a weak slash call especially since the shoulder check was what jarred the stick loose.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:44 pm

DelPen wrote:

Which, glued in the slot, or playing a Kessel type role? I seem to recall him playing the Kessel spot, unless that was just a few random PPs I saw.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby wondermoose on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:45 pm

Owchar76 wrote:

People can point fingers at players all night, but I agree with MD55 in that this clown show is on the coaching staff. The defensive zone coverage is a joke, there's no transition game, the power play with Kessel on the right side and Sprong in the high slot is ridiculous, and the treatment of Sprong is bad too. I hate that young players get the shortest leash while veterans get a ton of slack.

I'm not convinced it is on the defenders. This team turns the puck over so often in the neutral zone that they are constantly under siege on the rush. It's tough to determine where the lack of defensive aware starts and ends.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:45 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
DelPen wrote:

Which, glued in the slot, or playing a Kessel type role? I seem to recall him playing the Kessel spot, unless that was just a few random PPs I saw.

I thought it was more the Ovie roll except on the other side of the ice? Either way it wasn’t camped out in front of the net where he can’t get a wrister off
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins