Official GDT: Pens vs Habs 10/6/18

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Habs 10/6/18

Postby wondermoose on Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:43 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
wondermoose wrote:Y'all are nuts if you think Jack Johnson was the root cause of that goal. Malkin owns that one, no one else.

Not root cause. Combination.

The problem thus far is a lack of a transition game and a willingness to shoot the puck.

Forgive me if I forgive Johnson for not managing to deal with a suicide bloop pass in the middle of the ice at the blue line.

I don't expect the Pens to ever start the season well. So much of their success is based on feel and timing that they can look terrible too easily.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Owchar76 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:44 pm

Well that's what you're taught to do, turn away from the play. Atta boy Jack.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:44 pm

DelPen wrote:
wondermoose wrote:Y'all are nuts if you think Jack Johnson was the root cause of that goal. Malkin owns that one, no one else.

People looking to blame him because they didn’t like the signing.

Kessel is the larger problem right now if you want to pick out a bad contract at the moment.

I'll worry about Phil when he has a season where he doesn't show up. For now, considering the other albatrosses out there that provide much less.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Skatingpen on Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:44 pm

Defensive coverage picks up right where it left off
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Malkintent on Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:44 pm

Curses
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Postby DelPen on Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:45 pm

wondermoose wrote:
DelPen wrote:

Kessel is the larger problem right now if you want to pick out a bad contract at the moment.

I'll worry about Phil when he has a season where he doesn't show up. For now, considering the other albatrosses out there that provide much less.

I’d say he was mostly absent last year especially in the playoffs.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Owchar76 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:46 pm

Skatingpen wrote:Defensive coverage picks up right where it left off

Olli's cement feet and Johnson turning away from the play isn't a recipe for success.

I'm glad I took the high odds on the Habs tonight. I figured their speed would give the Pens fits.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:47 pm

DelPen wrote:
wondermoose wrote:
DelPen wrote:

If we reacted that way to every player that has a poor postseason, there wouldn't have been anyone left to win those last two Cups.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:47 pm

You can see a few guys on defense who are not playing well but Riikkola should see the ice next game for one of Maatta, Johnson or Dumoulin.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Owchar76 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:48 pm

DelPen wrote:
wondermoose wrote:
DelPen wrote:

I think he had an injury in the playoffs but refused to play it up because of Sullivan's arrogance. 9 pts in 12 games isn't awful by any means, but he didn't look good. But to say he was MOSTLY absent last year?

The guy had 34 goals and 92 freakin' points! WTF???
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkintent on Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:49 pm

DelPen wrote:
wondermoose wrote:
DelPen wrote:

Kessel was mostly absent in that career year where he scored over 90 points?
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Postby Faubert5 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:50 pm

Owchar76 wrote:
DelPen wrote:
wondermoose wrote:
DelPen wrote:

I think he had an injury in the playoffs but refused to play it up because of Sullivan's arrogance. 9 pts in 12 games isn't awful by any means, but he didn't look good. But to say he was MOSTLY absent last year?

The guy had 34 goals and 92 freakin' points! WTF???

Kessel carried this team for long stretches last year.
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Postby Owchar76 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:51 pm

DelPen wrote:You can see a few guys on defense who are not playing well but Riikkola should see the ice next game for one of Maatta, Johnson or Dumoulin.

Do you really think this will happen? No way Dumoulin who is on the first pairing will sit. No way that Johnson freshly signing a 5 year contract will sit, especially after they talked him up all summer. Maatta? I can't see that either.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PenGator88 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:53 pm

Well, that period stunk.
PenGator88
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:53 pm

I still just don't see it in Simon. I get that Crosby thinks he has potential, but I just don't see it. I see him on the wrong side of the puck a lot, but I don't see why he's getting this kind of ice time.

Speaking of which, I've seen Sprong with two good rushes up the ice and then two good backchecks. What gives?
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:54 pm

wondermoose wrote:
DelPen wrote:

Weak clear by Geno (shocking I know), combined with lazy, slow change by Geno and Phil to the far bench door led to that goal, IMO.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Owchar76 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:56 pm

wondermoose wrote:I still just don't see it in Simon. I get that Crosby thinks he has potential, but I just don't see it. I see him on the wrong side of the puck a lot, but I don't see why he's getting this kind of ice time.

Speaking of which, I've seen Sprong with two good rushes up the ice and then two good backchecks. What gives?

Sullivan has won two Cups, he's under pressure to win again. He's probably scared to play a younger, riskier player because he thinks it could hurt his chances of winning. If this team had low expectations, Sullivan probably throws him out there a lot more.

I dunno, just a thought because it makes no sense to me either.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:57 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
wondermoose wrote:
DelPen wrote:

Weak clear by Geno (shocking I know), combined with lazy, slow change by Geno and Phil to the far bench door led to that goal, IMO.

Amen! Phil and Geno shouldn't be on the same line simply because they share the same lack of awareness on their side of the ice.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Owchar76 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:01 pm

wondermoose wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
wondermoose wrote:
DelPen wrote:

Amen! Phil and Geno shouldn't be on the same line simply because they share the same lack of awareness on their side of the ice.

Yet there's so many people out there that will tell you how great Malkin is defensively.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Faubert5 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:02 pm

Pens ready and raring to go for that 8:15 start tonight.
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Postby DelPen on Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:03 pm

I would swap Malkin and Brassard and see what happens.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:03 pm

This may be one of those Pens October specials where they play for 20 minutes and hope to win on their skill alone.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Faubert5 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:03 pm

Sheary scores for the Sabres on the power play.

:scared:
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:05 pm

Owchar76 wrote:
wondermoose wrote:I still just don't see it in Simon. I get that Crosby thinks he has potential, but I just don't see it. I see him on the wrong side of the puck a lot, but I don't see why he's getting this kind of ice time.

Sullivan has won two Cups, he's under pressure to win again. He's probably scared to play a younger, riskier player because he thinks it could hurt his chances of winning. If this team had low expectations, Sullivan probably throws him out there a lot more.

I dunno, just a thought because it makes no sense to me either.

Here's the Daniel Sprong summary for this evening:

First shift was 19 seconds at the end of the first PP. Whistle right as the PP ended. 4th line comes on, Rust in Sprong's spot, because I guess Sprong was gassed after 19 seconds.
Sprong's next shift was probably about 8 minutes after his 1st. He was in position, made a nice entry pass up the LW wall that Cullen couldn't chase down.
His 3rd and final shift of the period so the 4th line get zone decent zone time. Sprong skating around the RW circle, slot, and behind the net, stick cocked, just begging for a center who can actually get him the puck.
Times Sprong seen out of position: Zero
Total ice time in period 1: 1:36, lowest on the team
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Faubert5 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:07 pm

Birthday boy is going to tie it this period.
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins