Game 2 vs Habs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 2 vs Habs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:53 am

Pens lose 5-1

- Pens were terrible, almost to a man last night. Even the Captain put his head down and lazily skated to the bench on a few occasions last night :oops:
- Murray was not good, he's got to make a save on a couple of those. Curious coaching decision to leave him in nets to finish the last two games
- Pens "D" were soff. There forwards were soff'er (its a new thing after last night)..... It was fugly from top to bottom, Habs were un-hittable apparently.
- While the Pens were not doing much right, the Habs deserved to be recognized as having some serious wheels and Price did what he does.... make tough stops look easy
- If a couple of the goalposts behind Price were more forgiving, the Pens way could have made this a far more interesting game
- Fourth line showed some signs of life last night, couple of twitches, breath on mirror sorta stuff mind you, well Sheahan did score
- Riikola & Grant will see the ice next game... HCMS & staff will send some messages, let's hope they listen.
- Four days is a long time to stew on a stinker like that.... HCMS & GMJR will hum & haw... Dad will say his things... Geno will go beast mode next game
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Game 2 vs Habs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby stonewizard51 on Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:23 am

The only good thing about that "game" last night was that thankfully it ended. What an embarrassment.
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:32 am

Grant might be in the next game, but I doubt Sullivan makes a move with the defensemen.

If Sullivan wanted to send a message Geno would be eating Nachos from the press box on Thursday.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:02 pm

A game like last night would be more acceptable if they were coming off a cup and on the hangover....

That’s not the case anymore. Time to get back to work boys.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:11 pm

pens_CT wrote:Grant might be in the next game, but I doubt Sullivan makes a move with the defensemen.

If Sullivan wanted to send a message Geno would be eating Nachos from the press box on Thursday.

He'll make an example of Sprong somehow. It's clear he's the problem. :slug:
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcmforless on Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:17 pm

That was an abysmal showing for a team with that much talent. Let's hope this was just an anomaly. Just WOW.
pcmforless
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:52 pm

If Sully was half-serious about tightening up the defensive side of the game, Phil and Geno would never share a line at 5v5 again. I don't mind that they have deficiencies on that side of the puck. In fact, I expect it and it's okay, everything still works out as long as there are linemates that are able and willing to cover up for them. When you see two forwards mosey their way over to the bench after half-assed clears out of the defensive zone though, there has to be some kind of response.

I'm really worried for Sully. He is entering that danger zone for coaches of successful teams with strong-willed players. All I know is what we saw last year and have seen so far this year is exactly the kind of stuff that he shut down when he got hired.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:33 pm

-Defense was horrible, and really, not solely about the guys on the backend. Defensive play by the forwards is pretty bad. Bad passes out of the defensive zone by the forwards and bad clears. Lazy line changes leading to defensive breakdowns.
-Honestly, I thought Sullivan had a bad game. Never tried to switch up the lines. Seemed to be very little adjustment. I guess if nobody is executing well, that may be hard to do, but, an entire team looking like crap has to fall on the coach.
-I'd like to see Riikola get into the next game, but, I'm not really sure for who. Letang and Dumo have each given up 4 ES goals, and the other 4 defenseman have each been on the ice for 3.
-It's interesting to see the feedback on Sprong. I see some respected people saying he is playing well, and others saying he is still having positional issues. Kind of weird. IMO, he's been fine, but needs a center to get him the puck.

Sullivan either needs to have one hell of a week of practice, or he's going to need to shakeup the lines.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Wyopen on Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:52 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:
pens_CT wrote:Grant might be in the next game, but I doubt Sullivan makes a move with the defensemen.

He'll make an example of Sprong somehow. It's clear he's the problem. :slug:

I don’t know how he can, Sprong, with less ice time, has as many points as Crosby.
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby IntangibleBeer on Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:01 pm

FLPensFan wrote:-Defense was horrible, and really, not solely about the guys on the backend. Defensive play by the forwards is pretty bad. Bad passes out of the defensive zone by the forwards and bad clears. Lazy line changes leading to defensive breakdowns.

Sullivan either needs to have one hell of a week of practice, or he's going to need to shakeup the lines.

Amen!!!! What a stinker. I only saw parts of the game and I'm thankful for that. What I did see caused a smell to come out of the TV. :evil:

Forecheck? Someone? Anyone? Bueller? :face:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:31 pm

We've seen this before, my guess is the Pens sleep walk until mid January then try and flip the switch.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Southern Fan on Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:51 pm

Several times early in the game we had chances to shoot and made the extra pass. Only 5 shots on goal in the first. Maybe it’s a Price thing but please shoot.

Montreal worked hard. They deserved the win.

If these lines stay the same, Carl Hagelin is going to be doing some serious skating cleaning up his linemates messes.

Murray is getting a real dose of the Pittsburgh system of hanging the goalie out to dry.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:38 pm

Penspal wrote:Pens lose 5-1

- Pens were terrible, almost to a man last night. Even the Captain put his head down and lazily skated to the bench on a few occasions last night :oops:
- Murray was not good, he's got to make a save on a couple of those. Curious coaching decision to leave him in nets to finish the last two games
- Pens "D" were soff. There forwards were soff'er (its a new thing after last night)..... It was fugly from top to bottom, Habs were un-hittable apparently.
- While the Pens were not doing much right, the Habs deserved to be recognized as having some serious wheels and Price did what he does.... make tough stops look easy
- If a couple of the goalposts behind Price were more forgiving, the Pens way could have made this a far more interesting game
- Fourth line showed some signs of life last night, couple of twitches, breath on mirror sorta stuff mind you, well Sheahan did score
- Riikola & Grant will see the ice next game... HCMS & staff will send some messages, let's hope they listen.
- Four days is a long time to stew on a stinker like that.... HCMS & GMJR will hum & haw... Dad will say his things... Geno will go beast mode next game

If inserting Grant for Sprong is him sending a message, then I’ll lose a ton of respect for Sullivan. Getting Riikola in would be nice but I don’t think they have the nuts to scratch any of the 6.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:15 am

Agree on the above. I have never liked Geno and Phil on the same line. Just a turnover and D disaster waiting to happen.

One concern I had in the offseason reared its head in this game. Somehow, the team that showed the NHL that you win Cups with speed has become one of the oldest teams in the league. Something to watch going forward but after they got rid of Sheary, they kind of lost their trademark player for what made them special. (congrats to Conor for the 2 goals for Buff).

Last thought. At the beginning of last season, the team and coach were sleepwalking saving energy for when it mattered later in the season. Don't be surprised to see the occasional stink bomb like this game every now and then. We'll get our wins but we'll take some bad losses on the way as well.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penguins Knight on Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:57 am

The Penguins chose to lose to the Canadiens. How stupid.

The power play has issues. Skaters floated and coasted on the ice, worked on perfecting the finesse pass, and forgot to shot the puck and score goals. Seeing how a shorthanded goal was allowed, the power play units need to be examined.

The third period saw the Penguins camp in their zone to play the game. If you play in your zone, you are going to lose.

I hope Sullivan took notes and will be proactive disciplining members who chose to lose with shoddy play.
Penguins Knight

Postby DelPen on Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:44 am

This Phil-Geno line just isn't working. Things are better when each is the main guy. need to shuffle up the lines:

Gunetzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Rust-Malkin-Sprong
Hags-Brassard-Kessel
Cullen-Sheahan-Simon

If Sprong still can't get it done make a roster move to recall ZAR and have him and Rust with Malkin which is actually a well balanced line.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Puck-Lurker on Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:52 am

DelPen wrote:This Phil-Geno line just isn't working. Things are better when each is the main guy. need to shuffle up the lines:

Rust-Malkin-Sprong
Hags-Brassard-Kessel
Cullen-Sheahan-Simon

If Sprong still can't get it done make a roster move to recall ZAR and have him and Rust with Malkin which is actually a well balanced line.

Same number of points as Crosby as someone pointed out. What exactly is he not doing with his toi?
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:34 am

So far, no line rushes today in practice, however on the defensive side, the pairs today were as follows:

Dumo-Letang
Johnson-Schultz
Riikola-Oleksiak

Maatta-Ruhwedel

EDIT: Forward lines are still the same.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:27 am

Puck-Lurker wrote:
DelPen wrote:This Phil-Geno line just isn't working. Things are better when each is the main guy. need to shuffle up the lines:

Rust-Malkin-Sprong
Hags-Brassard-Kessel
Cullen-Sheahan-Simon

Same number of points as Crosby as someone pointed out. What exactly is he not doing with his toi?

That's a question for Sullivan who seems reluctant to play him until the game was pretty much over. I think he needs to be top 6 or traded. time to make that happen, maybe back up to Sid's RW then shift everyone down one spot?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jim on Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:50 am

DelPen wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:

Rust-Malkin-Sprong
Hags-Brassard-Kessel
Cullen-Sheahan-Simon

That's a question for Sullivan who seems reluctant to play him until the game was pretty much over. I think he needs to be top 6 or traded. time to make that happen, maybe back up to Sid's RW then shift everyone down one spot?

Why not bring up Ryan Haggerty and put him on Crosby's RW? He hasn't done a single thing to deserve it either so they are equal.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Puck-Lurker on Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:00 pm

Jim wrote:
DelPen wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:

Rust-Malkin-Sprong
Hags-Brassard-Kessel
Cullen-Sheahan-Simon

Why not bring up Ryan Haggerty and put him on Crosby's RW? He hasn't done a single thing to deserve it either so they are equal.

That last game, nobody "deserved" to be any of the 12 forwards. Collective non-performance.

My suggestion to scratch Sprong for Grant to make a point was in jest. Please take it less seriously...
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:02 pm

DelPen wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:

Rust-Malkin-Sprong
Hags-Brassard-Kessel
Cullen-Sheahan-Simon

For how stacked we all think the Penguins are, they still have some roster construction issues in my view. They don't have a lot of players who are strong on both side of the puck. You have Crosby, Brassard, and Hornqvist as probably the most rounded forwards on the team. Guentzel is fair, Malkin averages out to be fair as he can be tremendous defensively and other games look totally uninterested and a giveaway machine. Kessel, not so much on the defensive side.

Hagelin, Rust, Cullen, and Sheahan are all much better defensively than they are at producing. Really don't know where to put Simon and Sprong in those categories at the moment, but, I think the Penguins could use another strong offensive threat who also has a solid defensive game. Not easy to find.

I'd probably try this next:

Guentzel-Crosby-Sprong
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Rust-Brassard-Kessel
Cullen-Sheahan-Simon

That would be my next shot at balancing out the lines. Malkin and Kessel don't work well enough defensively. Sprong would be in a quick sing or swim situation (as I think 3rd line would be more appropriate than 1st right now), and if he sinks, then I would recall ZAR and play him with Crosby. ZAR had good chemistry with Sid for a few games until he got injured, then never got a shot there again.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jim on Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:55 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:
Jim wrote:Why not bring up Ryan Haggerty and put him on Crosby's RW? He hasn't done a single thing to deserve it either so they are equal.

That last game, nobody "deserved" to be any of the 12 forwards. Collective non-performance.

My suggestion to scratch Sprong for Grant to make a point was in jest. Please take it less seriously...

Mine was in relation to putting Sprong on the top line.

I have concerns that Sprong is going to be the next Bennett. People saying that he needs more and more and more opportunity even though he didn't do ANYTHING (Bennett) with the opportunities that he has gotten (Sprong - will get). Bennett moved on to two other teams and failed to do anything yet people still feel that he didn't get a fair chance. People read something "So-n-so has skill" "so-n-so has potential" and they latch onto it even years later even though actual performance may show otherwise. Again, that is all Bennett as Sprong's sample is too small... I just have concerns.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Maestro on Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:01 pm

Montreal is ready to start - but they are trying to erase an old "era" and start fresh.
The Pens want a different start from last season, but it is still all about May (and hopefully first week of June) for them.

Rumor is Murray is considering a switch to cricket.

Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:34 pm

Interesting story that Fleury won’t start Thursday. I think the team needs to rally around around Flower to chase whoever is starting.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins