Matt Murray~ concussion

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Matt Murray~ concussion

Postby penny lane on Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:45 am

Matt Murray has been diagnosed with a concussion.
Coach Sullivan will address after their practice.

Jason Mackey wrote Murray wasn't in practice for 30mins and was wondering...
:cry:

Edit-
Pittsburgh Penguins
‏Verified account @penguins
3m3 minutes ago

Coach Sullivan on Murray: “The injury happened in practice yesterday. There is currently no timetable on his return.”
Last edited by penny lane on Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,170
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:29 pm
Location: With Sid and Evgeni there is always hope!

Re: Matt Murray~ concussion

Postby Crashguy66 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:47 am

This is gonna be very interesting.
Crashguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,225
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 5:25 pm

Re: Matt Murray~ concussion

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:52 am

Whatever. Might give Jarry his chance. Not like Murray was doing the team any favours. Nor was the team doing him any.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,866
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:06 pm
Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Re: Matt Murray~ concussion

Postby DelPen on Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:56 am

Who will let in 5+ goals a game now?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,836
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Matt Murray~ concussion

Postby Puck-Lurker on Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:56 am

Call up Jarry and let's move on. Murray might not have been terrible this far, but he's been far from stellar.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,855
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:49 am
Location: Is apparently an annoying poster.

Re: Matt Murray~ concussion

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:01 am

So, how many more injuries does Murray need to have to achieve Beau Bennett status? I'm thinking Murray is pretty damn close. Maybe not the same number of total games missed, but I count 27 injury related regular season and playoff games missed due to injury. The guy is made of tinfoil.

Several people think this may be the play the injury occurred:

https://twitter.com/G_Off817/status/1049686275941433349

This is my first time having real concern about the viability of Murray as our long-term goalie. He needed a bounce back year. He needed an injury free or very limited injury season. He's off to a very bad start.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,984
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Matt Murray~ concussion

Postby Inkio on Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:02 am

Murray is too injury prone. Can't rely on him. Need to give someone else a shot. Hope Jarry is ready.
Inkio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,002
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:39 pm

Re: Matt Murray~ concussion

Postby DelPen on Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:08 am

Any truth this was caused by the repeated head motion of looking behind him in the net at all those pucks the last two games?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,836
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Matt Murray~ concussion

Postby Crashguy66 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:11 am

Isn't Jarry injured as well?
Crashguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,225
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 5:25 pm

Re: Matt Murray~ concussion

Postby Skatingpen on Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:14 am

I wondered about him after that first or second goal when he was run over
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,998
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:13 pm

Re: Matt Murray~ concussion

Postby Pruezy11881 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:15 am

DelPen wrote:Any truth this was caused by the repeated head motion of looking behind him in the net at all those pucks the last two games?

The whiplash effect certainly could have contributed LOL
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,721
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:09 am
Location: Erie, PA

Re: Matt Murray~ concussion

Postby Bathgate on Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:19 am

We will be forever grateful to Matt Murray for his major role in winning 2 Stanley Cups, but it's looking like the future of Penguin goaltending is going to be Tristan Jarry or bust.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,099
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:16 am

Re: Matt Murray~ concussion

Postby Humperdink on Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:01 pm

I was thinking he strained his big toe muscle on the wraparound goal in the last game.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,843
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:10 am
Location: Allegheny National Forest

Re: Matt Murray~ concussion

Postby maudineormsby on Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:20 pm

Crashguy66 wrote:Isn't Jarry injured as well?


I think he was just reassigned to WBS
maudineormsby
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,729
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:19 pm
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Re: Matt Murray~ concussion

Postby Jim on Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:22 pm

This should help keep the next contract to a lower $.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,597
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Matt Murray~ concussion

Postby Puck-Lurker on Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:32 pm

DelPen wrote:Who will let in 5+ goals a game now?

Let's trade for Niemi.

He's a veteran.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,855
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:49 am
Location: Is apparently an annoying poster.

Re: Matt Murray~ concussion

Postby blurryhaze312 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:19 pm

FLPensFan wrote:So, how many more injuries does Murray need to have to achieve Beau Bennett status? I'm thinking Murray is pretty damn close. Maybe not the same number of total games missed, but I count 27 injury related regular season and playoff games missed due to injury. The guy is made of tinfoil.

Several people think this may be the play the injury occurred:

https://twitter.com/G_Off817/status/1049686275941433349

This is my first time having real concern about the viability of Murray as our long-term goalie. He needed a bounce back year. He needed an injury free or very limited injury season. He's off to a very bad start.


I cringed when I saw this play live and hoped it wouldn't be an issue. A few days later and here we are...
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,614
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:46 am
Location: Pathetic, Fake Fan by Simple Definition

Re: Matt Murray~ concussion

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:46 pm

DelPen wrote:Who will let in 5+ goals a game now?


:thumb:
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,704
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:00 am

Re: Matt Murray~ concussion

Postby brwi on Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:51 pm

Not anything like what Murray needed starting out this year. Don't know if Jarry is really ready to be #1 but he'll need to be for a while. From there...who knows? Relying on Murray being and staying healthy is a true concern right now.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,383
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:36 am

Re: Matt Murray~ concussion

Postby Crashguy66 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:18 pm

Jarry was apparently injured in the last preseason game and was designed "non-roster injured" and sent to W. B. He was listed as day to day on September 30.
Crashguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,225
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 5:25 pm

Re: Matt Murray~ concussion

Postby relantel on Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:36 pm

A time to need team defense. Bring them in line because they have no other choice!
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,818
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:24 am
Location: The card table

Re: Matt Murray~ concussion

Postby LimerickPensFan on Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:19 pm

blurryhaze312 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:So, how many more injuries does Murray need to have to achieve Beau Bennett status? I'm thinking Murray is pretty damn close. Maybe not the same number of total games missed, but I count 27 injury related regular season and playoff games missed due to injury. The guy is made of tinfoil.

Several people think this may be the play the injury occurred:

https://twitter.com/G_Off817/status/1049686275941433349

This is my first time having real concern about the viability of Murray as our long-term goalie. He needed a bounce back year. He needed an injury free or very limited injury season. He's off to a very bad start.


I cringed when I saw this play live and hoped it wouldn't be an issue. A few days later and here we are...

From DK's site:
The starting goaltender has been diagnosed with a concussion after suffering the injury in practice a day earlier, Mike Sullivan confirmed. The coach would not elaborate on exactly how Murray was injured but said that the two-time Stanley Cup-winning goalie reported his symptoms following Monday’s 90-minute practice at PPG Paints Arena. He added that there is no timeframe for his return.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 10:04 am
Location: Unfortunately, Philadelphia suburbs

Re: Matt Murray~ concussion

Postby blurryhaze312 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:07 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:
blurryhaze312 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:So, how many more injuries does Murray need to have to achieve Beau Bennett status? I'm thinking Murray is pretty damn close. Maybe not the same number of total games missed, but I count 27 injury related regular season and playoff games missed due to injury. The guy is made of tinfoil.

Several people think this may be the play the injury occurred:

https://twitter.com/G_Off817/status/1049686275941433349

This is my first time having real concern about the viability of Murray as our long-term goalie. He needed a bounce back year. He needed an injury free or very limited injury season. He's off to a very bad start.


I cringed when I saw this play live and hoped it wouldn't be an issue. A few days later and here we are...

From DK's site:
The starting goaltender has been diagnosed with a concussion after suffering the injury in practice a day earlier, Mike Sullivan confirmed. The coach would not elaborate on exactly how Murray was injured but said that the two-time Stanley Cup-winning goalie reported his symptoms following Monday’s 90-minute practice at PPG Paints Arena. He added that there is no timeframe for his return.


Yea, but that doesn't mean it's truly the case, right? Didn't we go through that with Sid or someone else at some point? They thought the cause was one point in time, but in fact it was at another? I could be dead wrong on that, but it sounds familiar for some reason.
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,614
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:46 am
Location: Pathetic, Fake Fan by Simple Definition

Re: Matt Murray~ concussion

Postby LimerickPensFan on Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:24 pm

blurryhaze312 wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:
blurryhaze312 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:So, how many more injuries does Murray need to have to achieve Beau Bennett status? I'm thinking Murray is pretty damn close. Maybe not the same number of total games missed, but I count 27 injury related regular season and playoff games missed due to injury. The guy is made of tinfoil.

Several people think this may be the play the injury occurred:

https://twitter.com/G_Off817/status/1049686275941433349

This is my first time having real concern about the viability of Murray as our long-term goalie. He needed a bounce back year. He needed an injury free or very limited injury season. He's off to a very bad start.


I cringed when I saw this play live and hoped it wouldn't be an issue. A few days later and here we are...

From DK's site:
The starting goaltender has been diagnosed with a concussion after suffering the injury in practice a day earlier, Mike Sullivan confirmed. The coach would not elaborate on exactly how Murray was injured but said that the two-time Stanley Cup-winning goalie reported his symptoms following Monday’s 90-minute practice at PPG Paints Arena. He added that there is no timeframe for his return.


Yea, but that doesn't mean it's truly the case, right? Didn't we go through that with Sid or someone else at some point? They thought the cause was one point in time, but in fact it was at another? I could be dead wrong on that, but it sounds familiar for some reason.

I guess that's possible. I'm just reporting what a reporter says the team is saying.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 10:04 am
Location: Unfortunately, Philadelphia suburbs

Re: Matt Murray~ concussion

Postby IntangibleBeer on Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:44 pm

Inkio wrote:Murray is too injury prone. Can't rely on him. Need to give someone else a shot. Hope Jarry is ready.


Well, Fleury might be available. :twisted: He's not starting on Thursday. So if McPhee agrees to keep 50% of Fleury's salary and ... :lol: :lol: :lol:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,424
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 9:17 am
Location: Cranberry Township, PA

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Faubert5, Humperdink and 25 guests


e-mail