Game 3 vs VGK - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 3 vs VGK - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:08 am

Pens Win 4-2

- Overall a better game by the Pens, but it was Kessel, DeSmith, backchecking & the Captain that brought this W home.
- DeSmith weathered the early storm and earned this W. I've seen him play better, but his effort was good enough, kudos to him for stepping up
- Phil was "Philthy" last night. You could just feel that he would not be stopped. Great passes for the two breakaways with Subban looked :( :oops: defeated
- Crosby has not found his game yet & many of his efforts are not being converted. HOWEVER, his 2 hits on one shift woke up the team. What good Captains do.
- Riikola looked good (yes, I administered the "eye test"). Had some risk/reward type plays that worked, but he's no Morgan Reilly :pop:
- Sprong, Horny, Kessel, Sid..... shift after shift the speedy Knights had odd man breaks broken or interfered with by a focus on backchecking.... no :slug: last night
- Guentzel's goal was :fist: sick from the start. Pass from deep right side in Pens zone to left side, back across the ice to far right, Sid one handed stretch "stickum on blade" acceptance, BACKHAND across the ice to Guentzel (with Rust letting it go by) and then unstoppable off post and in...... A top down puck tracking would look like a sideways W filling the rink...
- Reaves was very respectful last night, there were a few times I thought he could have killed Pens and no one could have stopped him :thumb:
- Engo was up ice more than he was back :shock: .... Hard to believe he's the same guy who used to wear the Pens sweater
- While this game was not high scoring, what's up with all the high scoring games this year? Have this year's goalie changes actually made a difference?
- A good game to build from, still more tweaks needed but looking forward to a revenge match on Saturday night.
Last edited by Penspal on Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Game 3 vs VGK - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Faubert5 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:50 am

Points is points in October but they started to look like a team last night.
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Postby largegarlic on Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:07 am

Yeah, I think last night still wasn't the finished product, but it was definitely a step in the right direction. Better team structure, better effort defensively, better goaltending, and better Phil gets the win.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:23 am

largegarlic wrote:Yeah, I think last night still wasn't the finished product, but it was definitely a step in the right direction. Better team structure, better effort defensively, better goaltending, and better Phil gets the win.

But... there was a Finish product out there... Jusso ;)
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:45 am

The Penguins went out this summer with the goal of getting a defenseman who could hit, make good outlet passes and be defensively responsible.

They also went out and got Jack Johnson.

Seriously, hindsight, but, after only 1 game, there is no reason for Riikola to come out of the lineup. I think the two things that impressed me the most last night was his skating and his strong outlet passes. I remember when the article talking to Sami Kapanen came out, there were some references to Riikola being as good of a skater as Erik Karlsson. I really saw that last night. He looks really smooth out there. His outlet passes were crisp, hard, and on the money time after time. The play off the faceoff where he fired a pass across the crease, off the boards and right to Hornqvist was a thing of beauty. 90% of defenseman are going to take that puck around the net with guys barreling down on him. I guess that was a 3rd thing.....he was really composed. At least twice, Vegas players had him kind of wrapped up, hooking or holding him, in tight against him while he was trying to make a play. He stayed calm, didn't try to rush anything and make a mistake, and just made his play as normal.

Johnson and Maatta should be fighting for ice time right now. I was very, very impressed. The Penguins play Toronto next Thursday. Their speed and star power will be a very good test for Riikola.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Steve on Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:12 am

I know he's playing a reduced role and all of that but for me it's great seeing #7 back in a Pens jersey.

Riikola wow, what a gem. I know it's still early but I'm impressed too. What a find by the Pens.

Also, where can I find one of those rubber sticks that Kessel uses? :shock:

Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby midd on Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:28 am

I'm pretty sure it's an 85 flex. Probably why he breaks so many.
midd
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:40 am

Interesting....Maatta and Riikola are making up the 3rd pairing in practice today, with Oleksiak and Ruhwedel as the 4th pairing.

I thought the Oleksiak-Riikola line was very strong, and in fact, while nobody on the Penguins had a CF% above 50% last night, Oleksiak had a team high 47.37 CF% at even strength (Riikola was 2nd).
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Penspal on Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:18 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Interesting....Maatta and Riikola are making up the 3rd pairing in practice today, with Oleksiak and Ruhwedel as the 4th pairing.

I thought the Oleksiak-Riikola line was very strong, and in fact, while nobody on the Penguins had a CF% above 50% last night, Oleksiak had a team high 47.37 CF% at even strength (Riikola was 2nd).

Might be a rotational thing. Oleksiak was a little tentative last night... maybe?

HCMS did say that he's trying to find chemistry between dmen... A Maatta + Riikola pairing could be just what the doctor ordered.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:22 pm

FLPensFan wrote:The Penguins went out this summer with the goal of getting a defenseman who could hit, make good outlet passes and be defensively responsible.

Seriously, hindsight, but, after only 1 game, there is no reason for Riikola to come out of the lineup. I think the two things that impressed me the most last night was his skating and his strong outlet passes. I remember when the article talking to Sami Kapanen came out, there were some references to Riikola being as good of a skater as Erik Karlsson. I really saw that last night. He looks really smooth out there. His outlet passes were crisp, hard, and on the money time after time. The play off the faceoff where he fired a pass across the crease, off the boards and right to Hornqvist was a thing of beauty. 90% of defenseman are going to take that puck around the net with guys barreling down on him. I guess that was a 3rd thing.....he was really composed. At least twice, Vegas players had him kind of wrapped up, hooking or holding him, in tight against him while he was trying to make a play. He stayed calm, didn't try to rush anything and make a mistake, and just made his play as normal.

Johnson and Maatta should be fighting for ice time right now. I was very, very impressed. The Penguins play Toronto next Thursday. Their speed and star power will be a very good test for Riikola.

I've seen that Jusso net front pass play after a faceoff win mentioned quite a bit today. I saw that from a couple angles... while it was ingenious, it was also risky. The VGK player almost got a piece of that... So if it becomes part of his game, and I hope it does... it still has to be done a tad quicker ;)

The other thing was that he took a pretty good hit by Carrier last night and bounced right back up. If he's going to dish them out, he has to take them too. While I'm no expert on Finnish league hockey, I can't imagine that he's been hit like that often, but he soldiered right through it.

Anyone notice the shoulder/elbow that Sprong took on what was likely his last shift? It appeared he went off with some discomfort?
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby LimerickPensFan on Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:14 pm

Penspal wrote:...
- Reaves was very respectful last night, there were a few times I thought he could have killed Pens and no one could have stopped him :thumb:

Cody Tucker from DK did an interview with Reaves. This is from it:
Cody: Even though you only played 58 games in Pittsburgh, is Thursday going to be special for you?

Reaves: I don’t know? I just hope the boys keep their heads up because I got no friends for two hours, that’s for sure.

Guess they either kept their heads up or he didn't follow through.

Interview is here: https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2018/10/10/ryan-reaves-vegas-penguins/ (DK subscribers only)
Last edited by LimerickPensFan on Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Penspal on Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:28 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:

Cody: Even though you only played 58 games in Pittsburgh, is Thursday going to be special for you?

Reaves: I don’t know? I just hope the boys keep their heads up because I got no friends for two hours, that’s for sure.

Interview is here: https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2018/10/10/ryan-reaves-vegas-penguins/

Great article (only accessible to subscribers I think?). I had read that prior and was watching him, he's so strong, Pens did a good job on him though.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby LimerickPensFan on Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:18 pm

Penspal wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:

Interview is here: https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2018/10/10/ryan-reaves-vegas-penguins/

Great article (only accessible to subscribers I think?). I had read that prior and was watching him, he's so strong, Pens did a good job on him though.

Yeah, sorry. Meant to mention that. Fixed it.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:41 pm

Penspal wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:The Penguins went out this summer with the goal of getting a defenseman who could hit, make good outlet passes and be defensively responsible.

I've seen that Jusso net front pass play after a faceoff win mentioned quite a bit today. I saw that from a couple angles... while it was ingenious, it was also risky. The VGK player almost got a piece of that... So if it becomes part of his game, and I hope it does... it still has to be done a tad quicker ;)

The other thing was that he took a pretty good hit by Carrier last night and bounced right back up. If he's going to dish them out, he has to take them too. While I'm no expert on Finnish league hockey, I can't imagine that he's been hit like that often, but he soldiered right through it.

Anyone notice the shoulder/elbow that Sprong took on what was likely his last shift? It appeared he went off with some discomfort?

Yep, I saw that. He skated off slowly an seemed to be looking around a bit like, WTF?
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Puck-Lurker on Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:34 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Penspal wrote:

Yep, I saw that. He skated off slowly an seemed to be looking around a bit like, WTF?

And so it begins.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins