Game 4 vs Habs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 4 vs Habs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:15 am

Pens lose 4-3 in Shootout

- A Jekyll & Hyde game for the Pens, some great stretches of play, and then the ugly ones rear their heads.... very inconsistent effort
- Sid looks to me that he's not finding his high gear... a couple times early in shifts he had the opportunity to really fly, but he didn't.... don't think he's hurting
- Losing Schultz was a factor, but it did give some much needed ice time to other dmen. Letang thrived with it, Riikola... not so much... has the bloom :?
- DeSmith played well enough again and was the reason the Pens got the point. You'd love to see him make one more save, but he's not a #1 keeper
- Don Cherry was on the Letang bandwagon last night, even mentioned Norris trophy... I don't disagree and if not for Kessel, he's been the best Pens so far this year
- Brassard was buzzing around, interesting use of him with Sid... I think that line needs a banger with speed, but it really needs Sid to get going
- Malkin and his stupid penalties.... pretty much every year he gets in a rut, but he always comes out strong. That can't happen soon enough
- Best part of the game was the Pens penalty kill. Short of getting a shorty hehe, they were perfect and turned momentum which is huge
- HCMS was not happy and you know that things will get better OR we'll see some changes.... Still so early, but this team knows it can play better, now just do it
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Game 4 vs Habs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby LimerickPensFan on Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:25 am

PK gave up a goal yesterday. Montreal's third goal was on a power play.

Malkin's line is just playing badly. It seems every time there is an odd-man break, you see 62 and 71 chasing the break. 81 nowhere to be seen. I think they've given the line enough time so they can say they've tried it. Time to break it up.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Maestro on Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:39 am

I liked the line changes. Sprong should get dealt rather than be Sully's whipping boy all year then fading away.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:51 am

Topsy turvy game. Pens showed up for part of the first and third, the rest was all MTL. Play like this 10 times, you'll be 1-8-1.

- Pens work ethic could use work. Habs were just working harder, while we struggled to complete a five foot pass.
- Letang looks.. good? :shock:
- Healing vibes to Schultzie, that didn't look good.
- Riikola coughed up a few pucks (yes I went there) and looked a bit out of place now and then. Dumo had moments of weakness too.
- No idea what's up with Geno. His line's a mess and he's taking stupid penalties.
- I have no idea what Simon and Sprong did wrong this game to earn a benching. They combined for a nice goal and could've kept the legs of others (particularly the Sheahan line) fresher than they were. Had their names been Kühnhackl and Sheary, they'd be playing all night.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:19 am

Puck-Lurker wrote:Topsy turvy game. Pens showed up for part of the first and third, the rest was all MTL. Play like this 10 times, you'll be 1-8-1.

- Pens work ethic could use work. Habs were just working harder, while we struggled to complete a five foot pass.
- Riikola coughed up a few pucks (yes I went there) and looked a bit out of place now and then. Dumo had moments of weakness too.
- No idea what's up with Geno. His line's a mess and he's taking stupid penalties.
- I have no idea what Simon and Sprong did wrong this game to earn a benching. They combined for a nice goal and could've kept the legs of others (particularly the Sheahan line) fresher than they were. Had their names been Kühnhackl and Sheary, they'd be playing all night.

Geno has always taken stupid penalties. It's a trademark of his career.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:16 pm

Malkin Malkin and Malkin....thank God he is scoring points . Sid certainly could have won the game at any of the opportunities!
DeSmith got them a point. Sullivan could have surprised with Brassard in shoot out or Phil!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IntangibleBeer on Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:12 pm

In that game it looked like the Pens were trying to imitate the Steelers - give you hope and then tear your heart out.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Faubert5 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:44 am

LimerickPensFan wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:Topsy turvy game. Pens showed up for part of the first and third, the rest was all MTL. Play like this 10 times, you'll be 1-8-1.

Yeah, that's nothing new and at least he's getting assists. Fast starts are the Pens and Steelers' forte.
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Postby LimerickPensFan on Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:41 am

Faubert5 wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:

Yeah, that's nothing new and at least he's getting assists. Fast starts are the Pens and Steelers' forte.

What's getting me about Geno this year is how many times you see him chasing odd-man rushes the other way. I don't remember him being this irresponsible defensively in the past. Maybe he was just saved by more defensive-minded wingers in past years.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Cow_Master66 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:35 pm

Sprong looks good.
Geno looks slow(er).
Crosby looks timid.
Horny looks timid.
Jussi...excited to see him after he gets 40 games under his belt.
Guentz looks solid and if he doesn't score 30 it would be super surprising.
Keep Brassard on 3rd line ~ it's a good fit for when he kick it up another notch.
DeSmith has a better glove than Murray, and a worse blocker...He's also way to small to ever be a #1 but seems like a solid backup.
Letang hitting the net is so refreshing.
JJ looks to be fitting in and should get better as the weeks go by.
Dumo looked better but way below the bar he's set. I don't expect it to last long...
I think this team misses ZAR's size and will be more balanced and tougher to play against once he's back in the mix and gets his legs.
Kessel is scoring, which is great, and for as bad as Geno has looked, he still garners enough attention to get Kessel the open looks he's had.
Hagelin...I never care how he plays in the regular season, personally, but to me he looks like he's actually gained a step instead of lost one.
Rust's number suck but I love what he brings, and his ability to play on any of the 4 lines might be his best asset.
Cullen & Sheahan, similar to Hagelin, not overly concerned until the playoffs roll around. Can they kill penalties and shut down a line when the real season rolls around.

All in all a few games in I think this team has more options in terms of line pairings that I thought they would, misses ZAR more than I thought they would, and are relying on special teams more than I thought they would.
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:57 pm

My thoughts:
1) Riikola loves him some pinching. Getting caught up ice a lot. Love his skating (elite) and way he skates with the puck.
2) Sheary (3) and JS Dea (1) have more goals than Sid who has no confidence at all in his shot. That SO shot was lamo. Would've never put him out there early. Let Jake get his first and settle them down.
3) Letang looking decent, still chasing 2 on 1s back all the time but at least he has his shot down.
4) Totally agree that the reward Simon and Sprong got for having energy was being benched for the old slow guys. The new NHL is very fast and we no longer have the guys who can play that game. Have to win on talent and opportunity now. No more outworking.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:03 pm

Read an article on Rotoworld today that JR wants Sprong having top 9 minutes.

Have to wonder if him and Sully firmly disagree on this strategy. Last I checked the coach reports to the GM. Sully needs to open up and give Sprong an opportunity.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NJ Penguins Fan on Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:44 pm

That's what happens when 2 d-men go after the same guy. Jack should have stayed in the front of the net instead of chasing. Left Sutter wide open
NJ Penguins Fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins