Game 5 vs 'Nucks - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 5 vs 'Nucks - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Ericf on Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:28 am

Jim wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:1) A center that can get him the puck.

Jagr made Kip Miller and Jan Hrdina look competent... doesn't mean I want them on my top line.

FLPensFan wrote:2) Any semblance of confidence in his game whatsoever.

He would have to have the ability to demonstrate game in order to have confidence in it.

As far as the highlight reel goes, there are a lot of guys that blow/blew up the AHL that can't/couldn't make it in the NHL. He is an adult professional athlete. If he needs to find confidence then ... the safe space is somewhere else. Put up or shut up.

I said before, the fan whining about Sprong reminds me of the fan whining about Bennett not getting a fair shake. You take talent on faith, but actions are fact.

Calling BS on this...professional sports is abound with players who struggle with confidence and that affects their performance...Artie Burns on the Steelers is one and why don’t you check out Matt Murray’s problem...it’s all mental...he’s shrinking in net because of lack of confidence...Sullivan should be boosting this kid’s confidence but instead all we hear is that they think he’s too cocky...I just hope the Pens aren’t blowing up another prospect
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:22 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Patric Hornqvist has 1 assist, Bryan Rust has no points and is a minus 4. Tell me, what have they done THIS SEASON to earn a top line spot more than Sprong? I'll wait....for eternity. They are getting that spot by their past body of work, yet, Sprong, who just completed one of the best seasons in WBS history, isn't afforded that same luxury.

Well, since neither Hornqvist nor Rust are getting top line time... you will be waiting for eternity.

FLPensFan wrote:The Bennett analogy isn't a good one. Bennett got tons of time with Malkin, and on just about every line. They tried him on his off wing. They tried him on the 4th line. His problem was more staying healthy than producing.

Yet it never stopped people from whining about him not getting a proper shot. Even when he was off to New Jersey there were comments. Then St Louis... then Russia or wherever he ended up before getting released.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:28 pm

Ericf wrote:
Jim wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:1) A center that can get him the puck.

Jagr made Kip Miller and Jan Hrdina look competent... doesn't mean I want them on my top line.

FLPensFan wrote:2) Any semblance of confidence in his game whatsoever.

He would have to have the ability to demonstrate game in order to have confidence in it.

As far as the highlight reel goes, there are a lot of guys that blow/blew up the AHL that can't/couldn't make it in the NHL. He is an adult professional athlete. If he needs to find confidence then ... the safe space is somewhere else. Put up or shut up.

I said before, the fan whining about Sprong reminds me of the fan whining about Bennett not getting a fair shake. You take talent on faith, but actions are fact.

Calling BS on this...professional sports is abound with players who struggle with confidence and that affects their performance...Artie Burns on the Steelers is one and why don’t you check out Matt Murray’s problem...it’s all mental...he’s shrinking in net because of lack of confidence...Sullivan should be boosting this kid’s confidence but instead all we hear is that they think he’s too cocky...I just hope the Pens aren’t blowing up another prospect

Then I suggest they start looking for replacements for those folks. Move then out the same as if they had a lack of skill or off-ice issues.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Puck-Lurker on Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:43 pm

Jim wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Patric Hornqvist has 1 assist, Bryan Rust has no points and is a minus 4. Tell me, what have they done THIS SEASON to earn a top line spot more than Sprong? I'll wait....for eternity. They are getting that spot by their past body of work, yet, Sprong, who just completed one of the best seasons in WBS history, isn't afforded that same luxury.

Well, since neither Hornqvist nor Rust are getting top line time... you will be waiting for eternity.

Brassard has been on Crosby's wing for a little, opposed by Guentzel. But that was a change made after a couple of games. Must've been Kessel I saw out there with Crosby's line? Or Sheary perhaps? My eyes aren't what they used to be.

Silliness aside. I don't see Sprong as a detriment to this team at this time. He's been visible in his games, got some assists with minimal TOI. You can look at a glass half full and half empty. You're saying he's not shown he's too good for 4th line duty. Fine, that's reasonable. Some. though not all, of that is not on him, but on his coach. I can agree to that.

But neither has he shown he he's not good enough for even 4th line duty. He's not doing too much wrong so far. Certainly in no way comparable to an entire team of seasoned players and a plethora of cup-winners! Unless he's a total *** in the dressing room or around his teammates, he's done nothing to deserve a scratch.

As an aside: whatever the problem may be, Derek Grant will never be the correct solution.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:45 pm

Jim wrote:

Or next game, since in practice yesterday, Brassard was back to 3C and Rust was back on 1st line RW, and that is talk of the plan for tonights game...... :pop:
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jim on Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:04 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Jim wrote:

Or next game, since in practice yesterday, Brassard was back to 3C and Rust was back on 1st line RW, and that is talk of the plan for tonights game...... :pop:

Ah, one whole game. So if Sprong gets one game on the top line can off of this **** about him stop?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:48 pm

vcip wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Jim wrote:Even if you are on the 4th line, if you have talent and hockey smarts it will show... you just won't get as many opportunities. He is also getting an minute and a half of pp time per game. Sprong isn't showing any reason to move him up.

Disagree. Sprong is missing two things right now:

1) A center that can get him the puck.

2) Any semblance of confidence in his game whatsoever.

Sprong is a sniper. While in juniors, he had the speed and ability to blow past players on his own and create his own space. He was still able to do that to some degree in the AHL, just not as often. He also needed a good center to get him the puck when he was in position to unload. He doesn't have that in Sheahan or Cullen right now. In 8 games last year with Pittsburgh, Sprong had 22 shots on goal. In 65 games in WBS, Sprong had 214 shots on goal. This season, through 5 games, he has two shots on goal.

Here's a video of Sprong from last season. I don't see a single ounce of the kid in this video playing in the NHL this season. It's Derrick Pouliot all over again. Harp on the kid so much about his deficiencies that he loses all confidence and concentrates so much on the things you want him to improve that he ignores the skills that made him a high pick in the first place. Pouliot is never going to live up to his draft status, but he still could be a #4/#5 guy in this league. He did farely well in Vancouver last year.

It would almost be beneficial for Sprong to get scratched in favor for Derek Grant for a few games, so when the 4th line of Cullen, Sheahan, and Grant still sucks and is still a possession black hole, maybe then Sullivan will remove head from rear and give Sprong a real chance. Sidney Crosby is struggling to get going. They've tried Brassard, Hornqvist, and Rust there. Would it really kill them to give Sprong a game or two look with Crosby in a real game? I bet it would be beneficial for both Sid and Daniel's game.

I agree...Going to be pissed if they Pouliot this guy

You mean they'll make him pout and get drunk in public? I think Pouliot caused his own problems and I think Sprong is just a work in progress.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:06 pm

Daniel wrote:
vcip wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Jim wrote:Even if you are on the 4th line, if you have talent and hockey smarts it will show... you just won't get as many opportunities. He is also getting an minute and a half of pp time per game. Sprong isn't showing any reason to move him up.

Disagree. Sprong is missing two things right now:

1) A center that can get him the puck.

2) Any semblance of confidence in his game whatsoever.

Sprong is a sniper. While in juniors, he had the speed and ability to blow past players on his own and create his own space. He was still able to do that to some degree in the AHL, just not as often. He also needed a good center to get him the puck when he was in position to unload. He doesn't have that in Sheahan or Cullen right now. In 8 games last year with Pittsburgh, Sprong had 22 shots on goal. In 65 games in WBS, Sprong had 214 shots on goal. This season, through 5 games, he has two shots on goal.

Here's a video of Sprong from last season. I don't see a single ounce of the kid in this video playing in the NHL this season. It's Derrick Pouliot all over again. Harp on the kid so much about his deficiencies that he loses all confidence and concentrates so much on the things you want him to improve that he ignores the skills that made him a high pick in the first place. Pouliot is never going to live up to his draft status, but he still could be a #4/#5 guy in this league. He did farely well in Vancouver last year.

It would almost be beneficial for Sprong to get scratched in favor for Derek Grant for a few games, so when the 4th line of Cullen, Sheahan, and Grant still sucks and is still a possession black hole, maybe then Sullivan will remove head from rear and give Sprong a real chance. Sidney Crosby is struggling to get going. They've tried Brassard, Hornqvist, and Rust there. Would it really kill them to give Sprong a game or two look with Crosby in a real game? I bet it would be beneficial for both Sid and Daniel's game.

I agree...Going to be pissed if they Pouliot this guy

You mean they'll make him pout and get drunk in public? I think Pouliot caused his own problems and I think Sprong is just a work in progress.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Puck-Lurker on Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:10 pm

Jim wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Jim wrote:

Ah, one whole game. So if Sprong gets one game on the top line can off of this **** about him stop?

Station him on the third line? Is that so unreasonable? 10-11 minutes a night? Leave him there for a while with Brassard. Don't bump him up or down for a dozen games.

If he can't succeed in that position, I'll join you in the Sprong is a bust bandwagon and weigh anchor.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:19 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:
Jim wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Jim wrote:

Station him on the third line? Is that so unreasonable? 10-11 minutes a night? Leave him there for a while with Brassard. Don't bump him up or down for a dozen games.

If he can't succeed in that position, I'll join you in the Sprong is a bust bandwagon and weigh anchor.

:thumb:
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Daniel on Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:27 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:
vcip wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:I agree...Going to be pissed if they Pouliot this guy

:roll: :roll: :roll:

My point was that Sprong is an entirely different situation. He's done everything the Pens have asked and so far that hasn't been good enough. Pouliot, for the most part, caused his own problems.

I think Sprong is simply an unfinished player at this point and it isn't his fault he's in the NHL rather than WBS to play top line minutes. It looks like he's playing well and seems to be doing the right things. Outside of Phil and Kris and Jake, who is really scoring though? The season is still early and if we're having this discussion in February, they might as well just trade him.

I think comparing him to Pouliot is inaccurate and does Sprong a disservice.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:42 pm

Yeah, I'm not a huge Sprong fanboy, but I don't think it can hurt giving him a shot further up the lineup. As others have said, Guentzel and Kessel are really the only 2 wingers producing right now, and the 1st and 3rd lines have just looked sluggish. It can't hurt to try Sprong on one of those and see if his speed can least get other guys energized a bit.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:07 am

Daniel wrote:My point was that Sprong is an entirely different situation. He's done everything the Pens have asked and so far that hasn't been good enough.

Really? What have they asked and what has he done?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:45 am

Jim wrote:
Daniel wrote:My point was that Sprong is an entirely different situation. He's done everything the Pens have asked and so far that hasn't been good enough.

Scored the same number of goals as the captain of this team. :shock:
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:32 am

pens_CT wrote:
Jim wrote:

Ah. I thought maybe it was to not take any initiative nor do anything that would demand a larger role. THAT he has done just fine.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Puck-Lurker on Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:53 pm

Jim wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
Jim wrote:

Ah. I thought maybe it was to not take any initiative nor do anything that would demand a larger role. THAT he has done just fine.

Isn't demanding a larger role and taking the initiative to that effect called "Too many men on the ice"?
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:18 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:
Jim wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
Jim wrote:

Isn't demanding a larger role and taking the initiative to that effect called "Too many men on the ice"?

Too much man
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:58 am

Jim wrote:Too much man

Sorry, Jim.

I'll take a 2 minute bench minor for being a smarty-pants, as usual.

Just gotta wonder at Sullivan creating an environment that keeps two wingers out of the loop. He'll run a line with Crosby and Guentzel plus Brassard or Rust. He keeps Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel together, great offensively, a train wreck defensively. Then there's Cullen, Sheahan and Hörnqvist, our responsible line that Sullivan trusts against anyone.

And then there's Sprong and Simon, starved for opportunity. Sullivan rolls three lines only.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:54 am

The Pens are a veteran laden, Stanley Cup contender. As long as the latter is true, their focus is, and should be, on winning a cup. The regular season is used to prepare for a long playoff run. They have a deep set of forwards, and need to figure out who fits with who. There's a pecking order. The vets have earned it. It's much easier to crack the lineup of a team aspiring to reach the playoffs. Sprong and Simon are on the NHL roster. They haven't been scratched. They will get their chance. A week ago, everybody was wondering how'd they find playing time for Riikola. Then Schultz got hurt. Over the course of the season, there will be injuries upfront. Sprong, Simon, as well as ZAR and Blueger, will get opportunity at some point. When they do, it's up to them to make the most of it. In the meantime, make the most of the ice you get, and figure out how to gain the coach's trust by doing the little things. Their time will come at some point this season.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins