Anyone know of any truth to this?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Anyone know of any truth to this?

Postby Shinoix on Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:46 pm

I was just reading on another message board where a poster stated that Ryan Whitney stated that he would be the best defenseman to come out of the 2002 draft.

Did Whitney indeed say this? Does anyone recall reading this anywhere or seeing it in an interview anywhere?

There's a couple decent defenseman in the 2002 draft, nothing outstanding, but some decent names.

Bouwmeester
Pitkanen (who I think will be the best)
Ballard
Eminger
Babchuk
Greene
Keith

All of the above have played in the NHL and actually played quite decent.

Just wondering if anyone knows if Whitney did indeed say that.
Shinoix

Re: Anyone know of any truth to this?

Postby edog on Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:48 pm

Shinoix wrote:I was just reading on another message board where a poster stated that Ryan Whitney stated that he would be the best defenseman to come out of the 2002 draft.

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
edog

Postby canaan on Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:49 pm

there are no other boards
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bill from turtle creek on Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:53 pm

By all means, let's come up with another reason to bash Whitney. Since he's tied for second among defensemen scoring, and is leading the Pens in ice time, and is making good progress overall, let's figure out a way to bash him for some imaginary statement he would have made 6 years ago.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Shinoix on Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:03 pm

bill from turtle creek wrote:By all means, let's come up with another reason to bash Whitney. Since he's tied for second among defensemen scoring, and is leading the Pens in ice time, and is making good progress overall, let's figure out a way to bash him for some imaginary statement he would have made 6 years ago.

Take a pill man, I'm just asking if anyone knows of any truth to this. It was a total neutral fan that stated this. There was a comparison going on between Bouwmeester and Whitney and the poster stated that Whitney said he would be the best defenseman to come out of the 2002 draft, therefore he would choose Whitney. LOL

So relax man, it was a simple question and I wondered if there was any truth to it.
Shinoix

Postby bill from turtle creek on Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:08 pm

My point would be that even if he did say something, he would have been 18 years old at the time. If we all got hung, in retrospect, for remarks we may or may not have said when we were 18, we'd all be in trouble.

I just wonder what the rationale is for digging something like this up.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Shinoix on Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:23 pm

bill from turtle creek wrote:My point would be that even if he did say something, he would have been 18 years old at the time. If we all got hung, in retrospect, for remarks we may or may not have said when we were 18, we'd all be in trouble.

I just wonder what the rationale is for digging something like this up.

I was curious to if he really said it or not, that's all. It would say something about his personality and confidence if he did say it.

Then again, why are you assuming he said it at the age of 18? Maybe he said it recently?
Shinoix

Postby Ron` on Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:29 pm

If he said it, did you ever think it my be a motivational plant by the organization? Of all of those players who has the most oppurtunity to become a superstar on D right now?
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bill from turtle creek on Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:32 pm

The guy never says anything publicly, it seems. His personality does not seem to be loud or extroverted, and his style of play almost reflects that.

I can barely even remember if I've seen the guy ever say anything that was caught on tape, period. It just doesn't fit with this current individual.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Cire7 on Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:36 pm

Yeah I remeber him saying that to the Pens during the pre-draft interviews, I think it was Steigy when he used to do the rink-rat reports for the Pens website who reported that before that years draft.
Cire7
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Corvidae on Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:42 pm

I never heard that, but it's not like he's in the best company right now. Bow-Mester has been underachieving but Pitkanin is pretty decent. So he's not that far off. In another two years, we'll have a better opinion on the defensive pool for 2002. But it's clear there was no Jack or Erik Johnston.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bill from turtle creek on Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:49 pm

Corvidae wrote: In another two years, we'll have a better opinion on the defensive pool for 2002. But it's clear there was no Jack or Erik Johnston.

Both of whom have yet to play in the NHL, yet, and prove themselves. Many a phenom has not lived up to expectations.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Corvidae on Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:56 pm

bill from turtle creek wrote:
Corvidae wrote: In another two years, we'll have a better opinion on the defensive pool for 2002. But it's clear there was no Jack or Erik Johnston.

Both of whom have yet to play in the NHL, yet, and prove themselves. Many a phenom has not lived up to expectations.

I was just saying that there was no "clear choice" for defenseman in the draft that year. No phenom, as you said.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ron` on Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:01 pm

Corvidae wrote:
bill from turtle creek wrote:

I was just saying that there was no "clear choice" for defenseman in the draft that year. No phenom, as you said.
Exactly my point, he's in the right place at the right time to make name for himself. He also is getting the ice time.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jimjom on Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:52 pm

I have Whitney on my fantasy team along with Numinnen (sp).
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Anyone know of any truth to this?

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:53 pm

Shinoix wrote:I was just reading on another message board where a poster stated that Ryan Whitney stated that he would be the best defenseman to come out of the 2002 draft.

Did Whitney indeed say this? Does anyone recall reading this anywhere or seeing it in an interview anywhere?

There's a couple decent defenseman in the 2002 draft, nothing outstanding, but some decent names.

Bouwmeester
Pitkanen (who I think will be the best)
Ballard
Eminger
Babchuk
Greene
Keith

All of the above have played in the NHL and actually played quite decent.

Just wondering if anyone knows if Whitney did indeed say that.

I think Whitney is already better than any of them. Pitkanen is a wreck right now and his career will be challenged by perhaps going through a tough year or two on a poor team. The perception of him was helped by the fact that he was a young "comer" on a very good team.

Whitney has developed despite cutting his teeth on bad teams from day one. Bouwmeester is coming on in the same vein. Ditto Ballard.

Babchuk amd Eminger have potential, but nowhere near the upside of the first three. They are probably 2nd pair guys on good teams. Greene is a solid kid, but his skating, decision making and lack of offensive ability make him a 5th or 6th D at best.

If I got draft over again, I might take Whitney ahead of Bowmeester, but it would be a hard choice. They are both going to top pair for their whole career.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby netwolf on Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:11 pm

Even if he did say that, so what? He could have been joking or it could have been in response to a question on what his goals were.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:34 pm

netwolf wrote:Even if he did say that, so what? He could have been joking or it could have been in response to a question on what his goals were.

If he said it, that's a good thing.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:59 pm

For what its worth, Flyers fans are bashing Pitkanen like most Pens fans bash Whitney. I also think that if he indeed said that (Whitney), I would take it as a good thing in that he plans on being the best.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:02 pm

jimjom wrote:I have Whitney on my fantasy team along with Numinnen (sp).

I have Whitney, Gonchar, Carle. :D
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:10 pm

I don't know if he said that but I'm glad for him if he did. Should he instead sya stuff like, "We'll, I'm not really sure, *DERP*. If I can be da' best because *DERP* dem odder guys got peeked before me and *DERP*!!!".

Seriously, good for him. Do I think he will? Sure, why not. He wont ever be as good of a skater as Pitkanen but he has shown rare hockey sense, he is much smarter offensively than Pitkanen. I'm not sure who is better right now, but I think Whitney could be the best.
NIN

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins