Game 6 vs Leafs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 6 vs Leafs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:37 am

Pens win 3-0

- Pens played a solid game, but it was Murray who bailed them out. Toronto didn't get the memo on how to beat Matt Murray (all low, hardly any glove)
- Yeah, Geno got 3 ponits, but it was Carl Hagelin who was constantly clearing the zone and in on the forecheck. He was worth his 4M last night
- Sid was interviewed on the Canadian feeds and said he should have two open net goals... so he knows he's got to bear down. HCMS apparently spoke w/Sid
- Sheahan was a beast last night, and has been the last few games. I think all the 4th line centre stuff has him motivated... he's been really good
- Brassard on the other hand is a turnover machine, was last night. If I was GMJR or now we should call him VP/GMJR, I'd see what I could get for Brassard
- Riikola has not impressed me so far. No doubt he's skilled, but he seems still very leery and jittery along the wall.
- The Toronto media hype machine will be quiet today, a first for this season.

Let's Go Pens!
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Game 6 vs Leafs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby largegarlic on Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:09 am

I agree that Riikola hasn't been great. I'm still hoping that the poise and fluidity in his play that was there in the preseason will come back once he gets used to regular season speed, but we'll see.

Conversely, I thought Cullen had his best game of the season (which isn't saying much, but still). Lots of smart little veteran plays that he was brought in to make.

In general last night gave me a lot of hope for the team. It seemed like everyone was making an effort to do the little things--backchecking, making sure the puck gets out of the d-zone, making sure the puck gets deep into the o-zone in the 3rd, etc. And they showed that when they do this, they can shut down a very talented opponent (with some welcome help from Murray's return to form). They still need more production from the non-Malkin lines, but this was definitely a step in the right direction.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkintent on Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:57 am

Does anyone have video of the Leafs "goal" that didn't count?
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Postby LimerickPensFan on Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:59 am

I don't get too excited about things not being done right in the early season. I notice things being done well, though, in hopes that it says that they know how to do it when the crunch comes down late in the season and into the playoffs.

Just the fact that they held the Leafs scoreless says a world of good. Murray seems to remember how to play (hopefully he won't forget like he did after his concussion last year). They kept play in the offensive zone for long stretches. This was at least the first, second and fourth lines with all defensive pairings. They backchecked well. Heck, I even saw Kessel on a strong backcheck.

Overall, we held one of the current best teams in the league in check, and outplayed them for most of the game. So we know we can do it. Now all we have to figure out is if they can turn that on come playoff time.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Great58 on Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:43 pm

Sid had some nifty edge work coming out from behind the net on one play, in the 3rd I think. I don’t mind a rare occurrence of Brassard getting a shift with him, but mostly think Sid and Derrick should be on their own separate lines.
I thought Sprong with Brassard looked ok for the moment it happened. But are Sprong and Simon now permanently screwed to the bench due to getting caught in the zone? Or will they get play inn tuesday?
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Puck-Lurker on Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:49 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:Overall, we held one of the current best teams in the league in check, and outplayed them for most of the game. So we know we can do it. Now all we have to figure out is if they can turn that on come playoff time.

I'd sooner think it was an echo of the Montréal game. We got outworked by a talented, but lesser team. In my eyes, that's what happened to Toronto. That said, PIT and TOR are far closer in terms of potential than MTL and PIT.

Still takes hard work to beat any team, some luck and bounces. Glad to see the effort was there.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:09 pm

- Loved the Johnson hit on Hyman. That's the type of physical play I want to see from him. JJ's best game as a Pen so far.
- Had to laugh.....classic Malkin, in a week when its all Connor McDavid, Mathews.... he outscores them all. Atta Boy Geno
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby LimerickPensFan on Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:37 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:Overall, we held one of the current best teams in the league in check, and outplayed them for most of the game. So we know we can do it. Now all we have to figure out is if they can turn that on come playoff time.

I'd sooner think it was an echo of the Montréal game. We got outworked by a talented, but lesser team. In my eyes, that's what happened to Toronto. That said, PIT and TOR are far closer in terms of potential than MTL and PIT.

Still takes hard work to beat any team, some luck and bounces. Glad to see the effort was there.

That's why I take early season lows with a grain of salt. It could be an effort situation The highs - when you can see what they can be like at peak - have more meaning. I will agree that the other team not being at peak does have something to do with that, though.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby longtimefan on Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:08 am

Puck-Lurker wrote:

I don't think the Leafs took the Pens lightly. They are still considered a measuring stick, especially for a team like the Leafs. So I wouldn't compare it to the Habs situation. It is possible a young team playing as well as the Leafs got a bit full of themselves. From the Pens point of view, I look at it as typical October hockey for a veteran laden team whose goal is months away. Driving down to the game against Van, I was thinking how uninspiring a game against the Canucks in mid October was for a fan. I suspect it's not easy for the Pens to get up for those games. The Pens are 3-1-2. They've beaten the Caps, VGK, and Leafs. They lost twice to the Habs, and once to the Canucks. Perhaps that is telling.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:29 am

Sid ever been to a worst start to the season - 6GP-0G-5A?
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ysthomas on Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:04 am

The start to the 2011-2012 season.
ysthomas
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Great58 on Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:47 am

longtimefan wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:

I don't think the Leafs took the Pens lightly. They are still considered a measuring stick, especially for a team like the Leafs. So I wouldn't compare it to the Habs situation. It is possible a young team playing as well as the Leafs got a bit full of themselves. From the Pens point of view, I look at it as typical October hockey for a veteran laden team whose goal is months away. Driving down to the game against Van, I was thinking how uninspiring a game against the Canucks in mid October was for a fan. I suspect it's not easy for the Pens to get up for those games. The Pens are 3-1-2. They've beaten the Caps, VGK, and Leafs. They lost twice to the Habs, and once to the Canucks. Perhaps that is telling.

Despite some early lackluster performances, they sit in second in the Metro, 1 point out with games in hand. Now they just need to carry some enthusiasm into Edmonton, which I think won’t be difficult given the McDavid vs. Mathews hype they’ve all been hearing, make amends in Vancouver then bring some team chemistry home.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Great58 on Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:47 am

longtimefan wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:

Despite some early lackluster performances, they sit in second in the Metro, 1 point out with games in hand. Now they just need to carry some enthusiasm into Edmonton, which I think won’t be difficult given the McDavid vs. Mathews hype they’ve all been hearing, make amends in Vancouver then bring some team chemistry home.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby largegarlic on Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:42 am

Great58 wrote: Despite some early lackluster performances, they sit in second in the Metro, 1 point out with games in hand. Now they just need to carry some enthusiasm into Edmonton, which I think won’t be difficult given the McDavid vs. Mathews hype they’ve all been hearing, make amends in Vancouver then bring some team chemistry home.

That's what I've been telling myself too. On the one hand, they haven't looked great and didn't take advantage of an easy opening schedule with 4 of 5 at home and 3 of 5 against teams unlikely to make the playoffs. On the other hand, those 2 loser points actually make it so that their point total isn't far off from where it would ideally be.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins