The Daniel Sprong discussion thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

The Daniel Sprong discussion thread

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:48 am

Since he tends to be a hot topic of conversation, figured I'd put a thread here, and start it off with some of Rutherford's most recent quotes he gave to Josh Yohe concerning Sprong:

https://theathletic.com/604932/2018/10/22/jim-rutherford-mike-sullivans-hands-are-tied-with-daniel-sprong/

“It’s not easy for him right now, and I realize that,” Rutherford said. “For a player with his kind of scoring ability, he’s just not going to get that many opportunities to score. This is the place that we’ve put him in.”

“I say it’s the place we’ve put him in, but then, I don’t think we have any other choice right now,” Rutherford explained. “I don’t say that we’ve put him in this spot as if I think there is another choice right now. He’s a right wing. There are three very good right wings in front of him.”

“We’re hopeful the limited ice time he’s getting now is going to aid in his development,” Rutherford said. “But we realize that it’s not very conducive to him putting up a lot of goals. It’s just the way it is. He’s a guy who’s going to be capable of scoring a lot of goals in this league, but it’s going to be a lot to ask of him right now.”

“He just needs to keep playing and make the most of the minutes he’s getting,” Rutherford said.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: The Daniel Sprong discussion thread

Postby Cow_Master66 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:33 am

He's looking good to me so far this year, and the 4th line has been our best on a few occasions.

Hopefully he's looking at this as a challenge to improve more and not complaining about ice time.
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby longtimefan on Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:56 am

I read the article, and was pleased with JR's response. Sprong has become so polarizing, and Simon has unwittingly got caught in the crosshairs at times. Even though they have been frequent linemates. They are not competing with each other for ice. What JR said is what I've been trying to say, but couldn't get across. The Pens are a deep, veteran laden team. They've won two cups recently, and believe they have an excellent shot this season. It's not an atmosphere conducive to allowing someone to take their lumps. Openings are limited when you're strictly a RW with three guy ahead of you who have had success at the highest level. They also all make a lot of money.

When Sprong was 18, he had an opportunity to grab a spot. The bungling of Johnston, and subsequent hiring of Sullivan, started his path to being squeezed out. They really had no choice but to send him back to juniors, as the team was struggling badly, and it was critical they turn things around quickly or risk falling out of the playoffs. He got to come back and be one of the black aces, but that led to the shoulder injury. He wasn't even able to try to win a spot the next season due to the injury, although the odds were stacked anyway, with the team returning every forward from a championship roster. So he got pushed down the depth chart, with established vets in front of him.

He's here. He's not going anywhere. His trade value is almost zilch, and he'll never pass through waivers. It's not ideal. You'd rather have him tearing up the AHL awaitng an opportunity. The opportunity will come. His stats aren't important. His time is limited, so he has to try to make the best of it. His best chance to produce will be on the 2nd PP unit. A couple there should raise his confidence. When he gets ice with the fourth line, he has to learn the smaller intricacies of the game. That's not a bad thing. Sooner or later, he'll get his chance. Neither Hornqvist or Rust have been 82 game players. Kessel is another story. :) If Rust continues to struggle, Sprong will get a shot. In that same article, JR spoke glowingly of the Sheahan-Cullen-Hornqvist line, saying that's a playoff type line. So who knows? Maybe Sprong and Simon will end up with Brassard. At some point, he'lll get his chances.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:26 pm

longtimefan wrote:I read the article, and was pleased with JR's response. Sprong has become so polarizing, and Simon has unwittingly got caught in the crosshairs at times. Even though they have been frequent linemates. They are not competing with each other for ice. What JR said is what I've been trying to say, but couldn't get across. The Pens are a deep, veteran laden team. They've won two cups recently, and believe they have an excellent shot this season. It's not an atmosphere conducive to allowing someone to take their lumps. Openings are limited when you're strictly a RW with three guy ahead of you who have had success at the highest level. They also all make a lot of money.

When Sprong was 18, he had an opportunity to grab a spot. The bungling of Johnston, and subsequent hiring of Sullivan, started his path to being squeezed out. They really had no choice but to send him back to juniors, as the team was struggling badly, and it was critical they turn things around quickly or risk falling out of the playoffs. He got to come back and be one of the black aces, but that led to the shoulder injury. He wasn't even able to try to win a spot the next season due to the injury, although the odds were stacked anyway, with the team returning every forward from a championship roster. So he got pushed down the depth chart, with established vets in front of him.

He's here. He's not going anywhere. His trade value is almost zilch, and he'll never pass through waivers. It's not ideal. You'd rather have him tearing up the AHL awaitng an opportunity. The opportunity will come. His stats aren't important. His time is limited, so he has to try to make the best of it. His best chance to produce will be on the 2nd PP unit. A couple there should raise his confidence. When he gets ice with the fourth line, he has to learn the smaller intricacies of the game. That's not a bad thing. Sooner or later, he'll get his chance. Neither Hornqvist or Rust have been 82 game players. Kessel is another story. :) If Rust continues to struggle, Sprong will get a shot. In that same article, JR spoke glowingly of the Sheahan-Cullen-Hornqvist line, saying that's a playoff type line. So who knows? Maybe Sprong and Simon will end up with Brassard. At some point, he'lll get his chances.

I'm in the same boat for the most part, even though my responses often sound like I want the team to hand him everything on a plate, give him all the time he needs, etc, when, that really isn't the case.

But the concern I have is......what is going to change this season.....next season.....even the season after? Hornqvist just signed a 5 year deal that starts this year; he's not going anywhere. Rust just signed a 4 year deal that starts this year; he's not going anywhere. Kessel still has 4 more years left on his deal; is he going anywhere...probably not.

So, my longer term concern is, when ever is Sprong going to truly get a shot? He's not able to play his game on the 4th line. It doesn't produce a high amount of scoring chances. He still has positioning issues he needs to work on as well, but, say by mid-season those improve.....then what? The Penguins may digress and move Rusty to LW if Sprong forces the issue. Otherwise, he's left waiting on injuries, hopes he can make a huge jump from one year to the next, or waiting/hoping for a trade.

I've mentioned it before, but a team like the Penguins doesn't have much time to "develop" players, and that is both a good and a bad thing. With the way this team is built and a window that is closer to being closed than in its prime, a skilled but "needs work" type of top 6/top 4 potential player has a much harder path to the NHL with the Penguins than a bottom 6/bottom pairing type player. Guentzel is really the lone exception recently, but he had a bit easier path because LW was/is much weaker organizationally than RW.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Ericf on Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:00 pm

I take the opposite position on the Pens: the Pens are the second oldest team in the league right now and have very few young prospects who are NHL ready. The Pens are one of the few teams who can’t afford NOT to develop a young player like Sprong....lord knows CAR or TOR have plenty of young legs but the Pens don’t. We need him to develop into a NHL player who can help us now and the next years....we also have very little chance of missing the POs....if anyone can afford to take the time to develop Sprong, it can and should be the Pens...Horny, Phil are 30+ ....we need to start incorporating younger players on the roster if we want to maintain our window as Cup contenders as Sid and Geno get older..
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby longtimefan on Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:05 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
longtimefan wrote:I read the article, and was pleased with JR's response. Sprong has become so polarizing, and Simon has unwittingly got caught in the crosshairs at times. Even though they have been frequent linemates. They are not competing with each other for ice. What JR said is what I've been trying to say, but couldn't get across. The Pens are a deep, veteran laden team. They've won two cups recently, and believe they have an excellent shot this season. It's not an atmosphere conducive to allowing someone to take their lumps. Openings are limited when you're strictly a RW with three guy ahead of you who have had success at the highest level. They also all make a lot of money.

I'm in the same boat for the most part, even though my responses often sound like I want the team to hand him everything on a plate, give him all the time he needs, etc, when, that really isn't the case.

But the concern I have is......what is going to change this season.....next season.....even the season after? Hornqvist just signed a 5 year deal that starts this year; he's not going anywhere. Rust just signed a 4 year deal that starts this year; he's not going anywhere. Kessel still has 4 more years left on his deal; is he going anywhere...probably not.

So, my longer term concern is, when ever is Sprong going to truly get a shot? He's not able to play his game on the 4th line. It doesn't produce a high amount of scoring chances. He still has positioning issues he needs to work on as well, but, say by mid-season those improve.....then what? The Penguins may digress and move Rusty to LW if Sprong forces the issue. Otherwise, he's left waiting on injuries, hopes he can make a huge jump from one year to the next, or waiting/hoping for a trade.

I've mentioned it before, but a team like the Penguins doesn't have much time to "develop" players, and that is both a good and a bad thing. With the way this team is built and a window that is closer to being closed than in its prime, a skilled but "needs work" type of top 6/top 4 potential player has a much harder path to the NHL with the Penguins than a bottom 6/bottom pairing type player. Guentzel is really the lone exception recently, but he had a bit easier path because LW was/is much weaker organizationally than RW.

The one thing I've learned from following this team for fifty years is that things never play out the way you expect. Things happen. Injuries, trades, a change in direction. You can only see what's directly in front of you. Meaning, he'll have to scratch for ice time until there's an injury, or somebody plays themselves out of their spot. Then make it hard to move him out.

We have no idea what the future holds. Rust can certainly end up on the 4th line. If the Pens win the Cup, it will be tougher for Sprong. But if they lose in the 2nd round again, perhaps JR moves Kessel. Part of that decision will be based on Sprong's progress this season. Injuries always occur. Seizing opportunity when it presents itself. Who would have thought in February of 2016 that the Pens would win two consecutive cups with Murray supplanting Fleury? He took advantage. If Sprong develops, albeit slowly, he'll eventually reach a top 6 role. It just may not happen this year.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:27 pm

I'm with LTF (short a few years of following the Pens for 50 years, but close).

Stuff does happen to a team over the course of a year (year in, year out, every year, yada yada) Sprong needs to be patient and continue to work on his game. Anything could happen (including a trade to the struggling Coyotes, where he'd get a BOATLOAD of ice time). You have to be careful what you wish for.

Simon's game is more rounded than Sprong's right now, plus he can play more than just right wing. Sprong has a higher upside imho, but for right now, Simon is a better fit into the current Pens lineup.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby longtimefan on Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:29 pm

Ericf wrote:I take the opposite position on the Pens: the Pens are the second oldest team in the league right now and have very few young prospects who are NHL ready. The Pens are one of the few teams who can’t afford NOT to develop a young player like Sprong....lord knows CAR or TOR have plenty of young legs but the Pens don’t. We need him to develop into a NHL player who can help us now and the next years....we also have very little chance of missing the POs....if anyone can afford to take the time to develop Sprong, it can and should be the Pens...Horny, Phil are 30+ ....we need to start incorporating younger players on the roster if we want to maintain our window as Cup contenders as Sid and Geno get older..

The reality is that the window is closing. You mention Kessel and Hornqvist, but Phil was drafted the year after Crosby, and Hornqvist was picked the same season as Crosby. Malkin came a year earlier. They are in win now mode, because the window is closing. As long as they are legitimate contenders, they will likely stick with this recipe. They've been in that mode for years. When the writing is on the wall, it will be time to make moves. It's tough when the guys in front of Sprong have accomplished so much in the last few seasons. And it does matter. But another early exit will likely ignite a retool. I'm certain that Sprong will get his chances.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:42 pm

(I had a longer reply)

twitter.com/pensinsidescoop wrote:#Pens lines:
Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Simon-Brassard-Hornqvist
Grant-Cullen-Sheahan [sic]

Dumoulin-Letang
Maatta-Oleksiak
Riikola-Johnson-Ruhwedel
-SK

Sprong hurt or staff lost brains.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:10 pm

Ericf wrote:I take the opposite position on the Pens: the Pens are the second oldest team in the league right now and have very few young prospects who are NHL ready. The Pens are one of the few teams who can’t afford NOT to develop a young player like Sprong....lord knows CAR or TOR have plenty of young legs but the Pens don’t. We need him to develop into a NHL player who can help us now and the next years....we also have very little chance of missing the POs....if anyone can afford to take the time to develop Sprong, it can and should be the Pens...Horny, Phil are 30+ ....we need to start incorporating younger players on the roster if we want to maintain our window as Cup contenders as Sid and Geno get older..

The left wing is wide open for youth...
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ericf on Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:20 pm

Jim wrote:

I have no problem trying Sprong out there...he seems to think he can play there and yet the Pens never tried him there in WBS
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Ericf on Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:26 pm

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Ryan-Wi ... /177/95480

Here’s RW’s take...hint: he thinks Sprong should be playing higher up in the lineup
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby longtimefan on Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:21 pm

Ericf wrote:
Jim wrote:

I have no problem trying Sprong out there...he seems to think he can play there and yet the Pens never tried him there in WBS

I suspect they tried him enough there to decide it wasn't a good fit. He says he can play there, but Hornqvist claimed ho could when we traded for him. He can't. I believe the Pens looked at it. It's a major plus if you can play both sides. Guentzel, Simon, Rust, and ZAR all have that advantage. For whatever the reason, they decided he doesn't transition well.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:31 pm

Ericf wrote:https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Ryan-Wilson/Penguins-not-quite-sure-what-to-do-with-Daniel-Sprong/177/95480

Here’s RW’s take...hint: he thinks Sprong should be playing higher up in the lineup

He basically suggests that if that can't find ice time for Sprong, they move him out as a sweetener along with our #1 pick for defensive help. That's so shortsighted, and didn't mesh with some other quotes from JR in the athetic article.

“We’re hopeful the limited ice time he’s getting now is going to aid in his development,” Rutherford said. “But we realize that it’s not very conducive to him putting up a lot of goals. It’s just the way it is. He’s a guy who’s going to be capable of scoring a lot of goals in this league, but it’s going to be a lot to ask of him right now.”

Rutherford knows that potential is there.

“He just needs to keep playing and make the most of the minutes he’s getting,” Rutherford said.

He still believes in Sprong's potential, and doesn't sound ready to give up on him. He's also making it clear he won't be judged on points. Where Sprong needs to make his offensive contributions are on the 2nd PP. It would help both his confidence, and the coach's confidence in him.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:36 pm

longtimefan wrote:... but Hornqvist claimed ho could when we traded for him. He can't.

I don't recall that at all. In fact I remember him being quite adamant that he was a right-wing. Are you thinking about a throw away crowd appeasing comment like Brassard saying that he would play anywhere ... (as long as it was C)?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby longtimefan on Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:35 pm

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/peng ... 1712130243

He has played some left wing as recently as last season.

Hornqvist skated on a line with Evgeni Malkin and Phil Kessel, while Dominik Simon jumped up with Sidney Crosby and Jake Guentzel to round out the top-six.
“We’ll see what happens here [Thursday], but I feel comfortable playing the left,” Hornqvist said. “We have to get better, change the lineup a little bit.”

I recall another piece I read awhile back where he said he could play the LW. To be honest, I've seldom heard a player say they couldn't play both sides. How well is something else.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:08 pm

longtimefan wrote:http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2017/12/13/Sullivan-gets-creative-tries-Hornqvist-at-left-wing-penguins-las-vegas-t-mobile-arena-practice-forward-lines/stories/201712130243

Hornqvist skated on a line with Evgeni Malkin and Phil Kessel, while Dominik Simon jumped up with Sidney Crosby and Jake Guentzel to round out the top-six.
“We’ll see what happens here [Thursday], but I feel comfortable playing the left,” Hornqvist said. “We have to get better, change the lineup a little bit.”

I recall another piece I read awhile back where he said he could play the LW. To be honest, I've seldom heard a player say they couldn't play both sides. How well is something else.

Hornqvist definitely said he could, but, when he has been tried there on multiple occassions, he has done nothing and is not effective. Playing there and skating around is one thing. Having the same level of committment both offensively and defensively is another. Hornqvist cannot play effective LW at this level. Huge drop off in his play.

LW, typically, is also more of the defensively responsible role in the Penguins system, so, that could be even more of a challenge if the Penguins tried to move Sprong there.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Owchar76 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:58 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
longtimefan wrote:http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2017/12/13/Sullivan-gets-creative-tries-Hornqvist-at-left-wing-penguins-las-vegas-t-mobile-arena-practice-forward-lines/stories/201712130243

Hornqvist definitely said he could, but, when he has been tried there on multiple occassions, he has done nothing and is not effective. Playing there and skating around is one thing. Having the same level of committment both offensively and defensively is another. Hornqvist cannot play effective LW at this level. Huge drop off in his play.

LW, typically, is also more of the defensively responsible role in the Penguins system, so, that could be even more of a challenge if the Penguins tried to move Sprong there.

Well to be fair, if you hadn't seen Hornqvist play prior to this season, you'd think he'd never played the RW either as he's done nothing and hasn't been effective.

The fact that this team doesn't seem to realize that Sprong's skills would be better utilized with a higher quality teammate seems kind of ridiculous. Yes I realize that he hasn't exactly blown the doors off, but his 3 assists in a limited 4th line role rank higher than Rust, Hornqvist, Simon, and Cullen (all wingers or played some wing). As RW says, a short demotion for one of Rust, Hornqvist, or Simon while giving Sprong a look wouldn't be a bad thing. It doesn't need to be 10 game thing, even just a game or two, or even a period or two just to see if anything happens, because nothing is really happening with those wingers either.

By no means am I comparing Sprong to Stamkos, but when Stamkos was a rookie, Melrose buried him on the 4th line and gave him little ice. To no surprise, Stamkos wasn't producing and didn't look great. When Melrose was rightfully canned and Tocchet took over, Stamkos was promoted up the lineup and went on to score 23 goals and 46 points. The following year he scored 51. Yes Stamkos was a number 1 pick, but the point is that Melrose claimed he needed to work on certain areas and didn't believe Stamkos was "ready" yet. Once Tocchet put him where he could flourish, he was able to utilize the skills that made him a 1st overall pick.

Sprong has a certain skill set. A high level shot and offensive skills. Some might say that he should be able to carry his own line then, but not even Stamkos could do that when he was playing with the likes of Adam Hall or Matt Pettinger. We've seen what Kapanen did when he got elevated to playing with Matthews. (4 goals in 9 games, 7 in 38 last year) With 72 and 17 having less than stellar starts, it wouldn't be dangerous at all to give Sprong a quick look. Maybe he has a Kapanen type adjustment, or maybe he does nothing more than 72 or 17 have. Is there really a downside to a short look? Not really.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:03 pm

I don't think Sprong is going to get his chance unless there are a lot of injuries.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Cow_Master66 on Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:47 am

I think the plan for Sprong is simple. At some point a Winger will go down and force changes. Sprong will be moved up at that point, but to where depends on the position and player...Hopefully he plays the entire year on the 4th line because that means not a single man game was lost on the wing! :fist:
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:54 am

Wait... are you suggesting that if someone get's injured... everyone below them bumps up one?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:12 pm

I think Cullen will be called upon to stick with Sprong to get him in the right frame of mind on how to focus on his time on the 4th line so when he's called upon to play else where he has a good solid foundation to use. Well Cullen for the rah rah type of stuff and the coaching staff to give him the tools to use. Call upon Sully to kick him in the pants when he needs it.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Antonio on Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:40 pm

I think I am starting to be ready to see Sullivan go honestly. Not really impressed with the team in a lot of ways now for the last 2 years. Everyone has an expiration date and I see his coming.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Cow_Master66 on Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:57 pm

Jim wrote:Wait... are you suggesting that if someone get's injured... everyone below them bumps up one?

Nope...suggesting he's the likely candidate to fill the spot when any of the top 3 RWs go down.
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby longtimefan on Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:08 pm

Antonio wrote:I think I am starting to be ready to see Sullivan go honestly. Not really impressed with the team in a lot of ways now for the last 2 years. Everyone has an expiration date and I see his coming.

That is not going to happen anytime soon. In the three seasons he's finished, the Pens have had at least 100 points. His playoff record is 38-23, and he's won two Stanley Cups. Last season, the team was a Kuhnhackl post away from forcing a game 7 with the eventual champs. Through 7 games this season, they are 4-1-2. A point out of first, with two games in hand. Ultimately, his firing will be based on results. There's just no argument at this point.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins