The Daniel Sprong discussion thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The Daniel Sprong discussion thread

Postby Puck-Lurker on Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:01 am

Jim wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:
Jim wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:Mystified.

Agree. I don't understand why Sprong isn't taking the bull by the horns and doing something, anything, with the time that he does get to make himself look better in the eyes of the coaches. I assume that that is what you are mystified about as cycling in the 13th guy is normal and cycling out the guy that is doing jack poo is also normal.

What did Grant do that was worth 10 minutes? I'm eager to learn.

Absolutely nothing. Which is probably why the next lowest TOI was over 3 minutes more than him (not including Brassard who left, but still had 2:36 more).

The top 6 was given less time as the game was well in hand. Therefor the time for the bottom 6 goes up, rocket science. 4:43 of his time was in the 3rd.

Now, we may see Grant take the bull by the horns and do JS the rest of the season?

Call me paranoid.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Great58 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:05 am

Jim wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:
Jim wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:Mystified.

Agree. I don't understand why Sprong isn't taking the bull by the horns and doing something, anything, with the time that he does get to make himself look better in the eyes of the coaches. I assume that that is what you are mystified about as cycling in the 13th guy is normal and cycling out the guy that is doing jack poo is also normal.

What did Grant do that was worth 10 minutes? I'm eager to learn.

Absolutely nothing. Which is probably why the next lowest TOI was over 3 minutes more than him (not including Brassard who left, but still had 2:36 more).

The top 6 was given less time as the game was well in hand. Therefor the time for the bottom 6 goes up, rocket science. 4:43 of his time was in the 3rd.

I still think Grant looked better on the fourth line, and the line functioned better than it has with Sprong on the wing. Now it was only one game, but I'd be surprised to see any lineup changes on Saturday, so time will tell. But as much as I'd like for Sprong to find a place in the lineup that he works well in, it's not line 4.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby THEREALpittsburghpenguins on Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:17 pm

Grant was invisible and really didn't provide much of anything. It's only one game so maybe once he gets a few games in he will look more effective. He got more minutes because of the score, not because of his play.
THEREALpittsburghpenguins
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:45 pm

Great58 wrote:I still think Grant looked better on the fourth line, and the line functioned better than it has with Sprong on the wing. Now it was only one game, but I'd be surprised to see any lineup changes on Saturday, so time will tell. But as much as I'd like for Sprong to find a place in the lineup that he works well in, it's not line 4.

I am leery of reading anything into anyone's performance from a 9-1 lopsided game. Good or bad, from either team. It's jsut an exceptional out-layer of a game.

Ruhwedel was a -1. You almost have to do that on purpose.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:23 pm

At this point, all that matters with Sprong is that he has a good late January so him and a 1st can bring in whatever hole needs filled to get a 3rd Cup in 4 years.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby THEREALpittsburghpenguins on Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:19 am

Well sprong played close to 12 minutes and didn't look bad. He was getting his shots off and had that nice feed to malkin. Confidence will do wonders for his game. I'll keep trusting in Sullivan cause heprobably knows better than I do. Trust in the process. Simon looked good too and was also over 10 minutes.
THEREALpittsburghpenguins
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:02 am

THEREALpittsburghpenguins wrote:Well sprong played close to 12 minutes and didn't look bad. He was getting his shots off and had that nice feed to malkin. Confidence will do wonders for his game. I'll keep trusting in Sullivan cause heprobably knows better than I do. Trust in the process. Simon looked good too and was also over 10 minutes.

There was definitely good and bad to Sprong's game last night.

The Good: He looked like Daniel Sprong most of the time. That is to say, he looked liked the kid that put up 30 goals, 60 some points last year in WBS. He was playing with that level of confidence. He came in with 3 shots in 8 games. He had 6 shots on goal last night. That is more the Sprong norm. He got several shifts with Crosby and 1 with Malkin.

The Bad: He still clearly shows that he doesn't understand positioning without the puck. When he the Penguins (but not him) have the puck, he either crowds a teammate by skating within 3-5 feet of them quite often, or he attempts to get open for a shot, but never gives himself enough space.....he doesn't separate far enough from the defender. On defense, he still looks like he has no concept of what a system is. I watched closely last night. He was ALWAYS attacking the puck. It was like he and the puck were magnets attracted to each other. To the naked I that may seem good, but I can't recall one defensive situation where he didn't do this, and most likely, that means he wasn't in his in his spot or watching his assigned area. Yes, the Penguins typically play an overload style defense in their zone, but I never once saw Sprong watching an area of the ice, covering a man, or being in position to break up a pass. All he did was attack the puck every play, even if other teammates were there.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Maestro on Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:42 am

Sprong can shoot and pass. That is what he does well. The rest, not so much.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ericf on Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:15 pm

He lacks some hockey IQ, especially without the puck, and it will take some time for him to get confident and thinking less about what he needs to do to be successful...the team both needs to be playing him at least 10 minutes a game and be patient...you can see what he can do with Geno...that’s really his best fit on the team right now...but I’d continue to play him with Brass when he returns...he needs to be out there getting experience and certainly should be played over Grant
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Great58 on Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:11 pm

Sprong seemed like he knew what he was doing on the ice later in the game. If he’s the sole offensive threat on a line, he throws it on net from the blue line, or the corner. With talent around him, he looks more aware.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:10 am

Great58 wrote:Sprong seemed like he knew what he was doing on the ice later in the game. If he’s the sole offensive threat on a line, he throws it on net from the blue line, or the corner. With talent around him, he looks more aware.

From the summer I wanted to see Sprong given some minutes with Evgeni. Gene is use to different folks on his line. Yes, yes... worry about the defensive coverage, but you may also see the potential realized in young Sprong. Gene got Blake Comeau a contract or 2.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Skatingpen on Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:49 am

FLPensFan, question that for some reason I can’t find information on. A few years back the Pens drafted a huge winger who I think plays for Penn State, do you remember his name and any information how he is doing? Thanks!
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:08 am

Skatingpen wrote:FLPensFan, question that for some reason I can’t find information on. A few years back the Pens drafted a huge winger who I think plays for Penn State, do you remember his name and any information how he is doing? Thanks!

That would be 6'8" center Nikita Pavlychev, drafted in the 7th round of 2015. He's a Junior at Penn State, 21 years old. Through 6 games, he has 3 goals and 4 assists, 7 total points. Team leader has 9 points. Penn State is 6-0 right now, and I believe they are supposed to be a pretty good team. We'll see when they face some tougher opponents like Michigan and Wisconsin later this month.

Pavlychev had 14 points in 35 games last year, and 13 points in 36 games his freshman year. He's already half way to his career high production, so, just on paper, it looks like he's made some progress and/or playing with better quality linemates.

Twitter observation from someone who watches a lot of minor hockey:
Nikita Pavlychev is a 6'7 (not a typo), 225 @penguins prospect at @PennStateMHKY who is a complete PITA for opponents. He eliminates time and space, wins puck battles and imposes his will regularly. He's got good speed, but will have to improve his agility to take the next step.

Dave Molinari did a piece on him a few weeks ago: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2018/10/18/nikita-pavlychev-penn-state-hockey-penguins-prospects/stories/201810210025

Quick 90 second video Penn State did on him a few weeks back: https://twitter.com/PennStateMHKY/status/1052252735184224256
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Skatingpen on Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:31 am

Thanks so much! Great information I appreciate that
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ville5 on Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:48 am

Didn't see this mentioned. In the post-gazette, Jason Mackey says multiple league sources have confirmed Pens are listening to offers on Sprong.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:10 am

ville5 wrote:Didn't see this mentioned. In the post-gazette, Jason Mackey says multiple league sources have confirmed Pens are listening to offers on Sprong.

Not Puljujarvi
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Wyopen on Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:28 pm

ville5 wrote:Didn't see this mentioned. In the post-gazette, Jason Mackey says multiple league sources have confirmed Pens are listening to offers on Sprong.

How is trading Sprong going to help their situation? With all due respect, is he really the problem? Why not Hagelin and Maatta for Nylander? Gives them cap room to sign him. Bring up Trotman or Prow from WBS.
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:08 pm

Wyopen wrote:

How is trading Sprong going to help their situation? With all due respect, is he really the problem? Why not Hagelin and Maatta for Nylander? Gives them cap room to sign him. Bring up Trotman or Prow from WBS.

Biggest issue with that would be, why would the leafs want Hagelin. The other, bigger issue is, Leafs need a RH RD, not another LD. Already have Gardiner and Reilly on the left side.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Wyopen on Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:22 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Wyopen wrote:

Biggest issue with that would be, why would the leafs want Hagelin. The other, bigger issue is, Leafs need a RH RD, not another LD. Already have Gardiner and Reilly on the left side.

Good point. Hagelin just to clear space and he’s an UFA at seasons end. So no long term commitment.
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Skatingpen on Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:04 pm

Wyopen wrote:

Plus they won’t get anything of value for him......
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Puck-Lurker on Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:42 am

Trade him. Some other coach will play him. Tired of scapegoating him randomly.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Wyopen on Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:27 am

Skatingpen wrote:
Wyopen wrote:

According to the article, one reclamation project for another. Sounds similar to the Pirates.
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Great58 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:55 am

Wyopen wrote:
Skatingpen wrote:
Wyopen wrote:

According to the article, one reclamation project for another. Sounds similar to the Pirates.

Any speculation as to who the Pens would take back in return?
I don't have an issue with trading Sprong if it brings back someone who can contribute this season. I do have an issue with trading Sprong for another question mark player, without even giving Daniel an opportunity to find his game with more offensive line opportunities. Since we've now broken up Malkin/Hagelin/Kessel, give Sprong two games with Geno.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hot Dog Vendor on Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:51 pm

Yeah, lets trade Sprong for somebody else that Sullivan will refuse to play.
Hot Dog Vendor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ericf on Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:19 pm

Hot Dog Vendor wrote:Yeah, lets trade Sprong for somebody else that Sullivan will refuse to play.

But the coach isn’t the problem...haven’t you heard?

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/peng ... 1811090112
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins