The Daniel Sprong discussion thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The Daniel Sprong discussion thread

Postby theblackarts on Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:33 pm

Antonio wrote:I think I am starting to be ready to see Sullivan go honestly. Not really impressed with the team in a lot of ways now for the last 2 years. Everyone has an expiration date and I see his coming.

I understand why you'd feel this way, but I don't think the teams performance since cup#5 has much to do with him. You could argue about the way he's utilized some players, but at the end of the day, team defense (generally untalented D) and murray have been sub-par, so it's really hard to tell if our short-comings can be blamed on coaching. There's also the intangible psychological factor of winning two cups and the players not giving a F. Given the buttons that MS has pressed during the two cup runs, his leash is arguably the longest outside of anyone not named Crosby or Malkin. There is literally a zero percent chance that he's fired within five years unless the players mutiny and force him out, which I also don't see happening.
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby indian on Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:31 am

Put Sprong with Geno and see him blossom into a pure goal scorer...

Simon- Sid - Horny
Haggy - Geno - Sprong
Jake - Brass - Kessel
Sheahn - Grandpa - Rust
indian
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:07 am

theblackarts wrote:
Antonio wrote:I think I am starting to be ready to see Sullivan go honestly. Not really impressed with the team in a lot of ways now for the last 2 years. Everyone has an expiration date and I see his coming.

I understand why you'd feel this way, but I don't think the teams performance since cup#5 has much to do with him. You could argue about the way he's utilized some players, but at the end of the day, team defense (generally untalented D) and murray have been sub-par, so it's really hard to tell if our short-comings can be blamed on coaching. There's also the intangible psychological factor of winning two cups and the players not giving a F. Given the buttons that MS has pressed during the two cup runs, his leash is arguably the longest outside of anyone not named Crosby or Malkin. There is literally a zero percent chance that he's fired within five years unless the players mutiny and force him out, which I also don't see happening.

YOU could look like a great coach is every player plays to star, if not all-star, levels. The point of being a good coach is being able to get it done when players are being human.

Who is this "generally untalented D" that you refer to? Letang, Doumoulin, Schultz, Maatta, Cole? Oleksiak, Riikola, Ruhwedel? Is that strong comment based solely on Hunwick maybe?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:40 am

This thread took an odd turn. Sprong is clearly not NHL caliber and that is Sullivan's fault? At this point, I'd waiver wire him. Sully brought Rust along, Sheary, Jake, motivated our stars which notoriously can become unmotivated.

Sprong just doesn't have that full skill set yet. He doesn't do anything that well.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ericf on Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:17 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:This thread took an odd turn. Sprong is clearly not NHL caliber and that is Sullivan's fault? At this point, I'd waiver wire him. Sully brought Rust along, Sheary, Jake, motivated our stars which notoriously can become unmotivated.

Sprong just doesn't have that full skill set yet. He doesn't do anything that well.

It took Jacob Vrana numerous chances and a couple benchings before he got it and Trotz stuck with him....he's a solid NHL player...let's give some time and opportunity to Sprong....I hope Sullivan follows the Trotz method, but if not, we may be seeing Sprong net 30 goals for some other team in the next couple years....that seems to be the Pens way....Sprong lacks some hockey IQ right now for the way Sullivan wants him to play....Rust, Sheary etc had played longer in that system and got it sooner...patience
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby longtimefan on Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:46 am

Ericf wrote:
RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:This thread took an odd turn. Sprong is clearly not NHL caliber and that is Sullivan's fault? At this point, I'd waiver wire him. Sully brought Rust along, Sheary, Jake, motivated our stars which notoriously can become unmotivated.

It took Jacob Vrana numerous chances and a couple benchings before he got it and Trotz stuck with him....he's a solid NHL player...let's give some time and opportunity to Sprong....I hope Sullivan follows the Trotz method, but if not, we may be seeing Sprong net 30 goals for some other team in the next couple years....that seems to be the Pens way....Sprong lacks some hockey IQ right now for the way Sullivan wants him to play....Rust, Sheary etc had played longer in that system and got it sooner...patience

Vrana is an excellent example, and was picked 13th overall the year before Sprong went 46th overall. He's becoming a decent player, scored 13 last year, and on pace for 21 ths season. Your second point has less to do with the coach then the circumstances. Vrana's chances were limited until a spot opened up last season because the Caps were scrambling to fill out thier roster after losing Williams and trading Johansson. Two seasons ago, the Pens had an opening that Guentzel took advantage of. So it wasn't necessarily that Trotz was more willing to give the young guy a shot than Sully. He had an opening. You also said that it was the Pens way after suggesting Sprong may end up scoring 30 for another team in a few years. Which suggests to me that they don't give players a chance who then go on to be stars, or at least solid players elsewhere. I honestly cannot think of one player who would fit that criteria at this point. Pouliot? He's got a spot in the league, but the jury is still out. Who else have they wasted who has since proven it by going on to be successful?
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:57 am

Ericf wrote:

I hate to say it, but I'm closer to jumping off the Sprong train than I am fully on board with it. I don't like Sullivan's usage of Sprong, but, I spent yesterday going back over some of Sprong's shifts that I could get ahold of through replays, and, I'm starting to see a little bit more what I maybe miss during games. One of my early concerns with him seems to be proving to be correct......his hockey IQ is low. And hockey IQ really isn't something you can teach, especially at the NHL level.

Some people think Sprong's stock has dropped enough that he could slip through waivers. I don't believe that to be the case. I think any team near the bottom of the standings, your Coyotes, Red Wings, Islanders, Rangers.....those types of teams could afford to pick up Sprong and just let him play at the NHL level.

The Penguins likely need to find a team that has a decent defensive prospect that maybe they could swap for Sprong, and the ability to play Sprong at the NHL level. Something like a Julius Honka for Sprong type swap comes to mind. Dallas current RWs are Tyler Pitlick, Justin Dowling, Blake Comeau, and Brett Ritchie. Honka has struggled to crack their defense since being a first round draft pick, and Honka has actually been playing LW on the 4th line this year. I read some stuff this week in one of the Athletic writers who covers Dallas, saying that while Honka has the stick-handling and puck skills to play forward, he still thinks defense is where Honka will be able to stick in the NHL.....and he flat out said Honka likely needs to get a fresh start in another organization.

I would be looking at this type of move, where we take a prospect like Sprong that isn't working out here, and try to exchange him for another prospect like Honka that isn't working out for another team. Defensive depth is badly needed in the organization, so Honka was first one that came to mind.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:12 am

FLPensFan wrote:
Ericf wrote:

I hate to say it, but I'm closer to jumping off the Sprong train than I am fully on board with it. I don't like Sullivan's usage of Sprong, but, I spent yesterday going back over some of Sprong's shifts that I could get ahold of through replays, and, I'm starting to see a little bit more what I maybe miss during games. One of my early concerns with him seems to be proving to be correct......his hockey IQ is low. And hockey IQ really isn't something you can teach, especially at the NHL level.

Some people think Sprong's stock has dropped enough that he could slip through waivers. I don't believe that to be the case. I think any team near the bottom of the standings, your Coyotes, Red Wings, Islanders, Rangers.....those types of teams could afford to pick up Sprong and just let him play at the NHL level.

The Penguins likely need to find a team that has a decent defensive prospect that maybe they could swap for Sprong, and the ability to play Sprong at the NHL level. Something like a Julius Honka for Sprong type swap comes to mind. Dallas current RWs are Tyler Pitlick, Justin Dowling, Blake Comeau, and Brett Ritchie. Honka has struggled to crack their defense since being a first round draft pick, and Honka has actually been playing LW on the 4th line this year. I read some stuff this week in one of the Athletic writers who covers Dallas, saying that while Honka has the stick-handling and puck skills to play forward, he still thinks defense is where Honka will be able to stick in the NHL.....and he flat out said Honka likely needs to get a fresh start in another organization.

I would be looking at this type of move, where we take a prospect like Sprong that isn't working out here, and try to exchange him for another prospect like Honka that isn't working out for another team. Defensive depth is badly needed in the organization, so Honka was first one that came to mind.

There is just no room for Sprong on RW. He shouldn't play over Kessel, Hornqvist, or Rust. Those guys are all under control for 3-4 years, so like you said move Sprong for something of value.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:27 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Ericf wrote:

There is just no room for Sprong on RW. He shouldn't play over Kessel, Hornqvist, or Rust. Those guys are all under control for 3-4 years, so like you said move Sprong for something of value.

Yep, that's the conclusion I am drawing at this point. Rutherford said exactly what you did, regarding the RWs ahead of him, and, none of those guys have contracts expiring soon.

Find a team in the middle of a rebuild that can play Sprong and not worry so much about wins and losses and the playoffs. Get a decent RD prospect that needs a change of scenery for him.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Puck-Lurker on Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:09 am

Just let him float along. Give him some reps with actual ice time when an RW spot clears. There are always injuries and there's Rust maybe hopping LW at some point too.

We gave Plotnikov 32 games. Hunwick 42 games. Kühnhackl 168. Wilson 106.

No reason to jump off any wagons, band or otherwise. If you could send him down without waivers claims... Do that.

But you can't.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:51 am

Sullivan hates the Kessel / Sprong type of player. He barely tolerates Kessel because he put up 80+ points. Sprong just isn't going to get a fair shake period. Id move him before Sullivan ruins his value further.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:55 am

Puck-Lurker wrote:Just let him float along. Give him some reps with actual ice time when an RW spot clears. There are always injuries and there's Rust maybe hopping LW at some point too.

We gave Plotnikov 32 games. Hunwick 42 games. Kühnhackl 168. Wilson 106.

No reason to jump off any wagons, band or otherwise. If you could send him down without waivers claims... Do that.

But you can't.

Roster construction may be Sprong's biggest barrier right now, besides his play:
- He has 3 RWs ahead of him signed to longer deals. They aren't leaving the organization anytime soon.
- Rutherford's decision to bring back Cullen AND sign Grant don't help his cause. They've also hurt Blueger's chances, too.
- With Sullivan sour on Sprong, and beginning to show signs of souring on Aston-Reese, the Penguins need SOMEONE to step up.
- Riikola and Ruhwedel as 7th and 8th defense don't help in terms of roster sport.

You should know by my posting history I have been a huge Sprong supporter and wanting him to see more ice time. But, I'm not seeing any semblance of the Sprong that was in WBS. His confidence is gone. On top of that, I am noticing more suspect positioning creeping into his play.

I think the best thing for Daniel Sprong would be a trade to an organization that is in a rebuild, and can sit through his struggles and not worry about mistakes costing them points towards a playoff spot. I really have my doubts that he can fit into this organization, but I haven't written him off as NHL-capable at this point.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby THEREALpittsburghpenguins on Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:47 pm

The kid hasn't even played 60 minutes in 7 games this year. Waaaaaayyyyyyy too early to write him off. If Sully never plans on giving him a chance then yes we should just trade him. I'd rather ride it out. Rust hasn't done anything to make me feel that he can be a 1st line player. Sprong has more points than him too. He will get his shot at some point. Hopefully he learns from this whole thing and becomes a better player for it. He does need to work on his positioning cause it has been bad.
THEREALpittsburghpenguins
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Ericf on Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:20 pm

THEREALpittsburghpenguins wrote:The kid hasn't even played 60 minutes in 7 games this year. Waaaaaayyyyyyy too early to write him off. If Sully never plans on giving him a chance then yes we should just trade him. I'd rather ride it out. Rust hasn't done anything to make me feel that he can be a 1st line player. Sprong has more points than him too. He will get his shot at some point. Hopefully he learns from this whole thing and becomes a better player for it. He does need to work on his positioning cause it has been bad.

Agree it’s way too early to write this kid off and we may suffer an injury to RW that would give him another opportunity....

If Sullivan won’t give him a chance, then Sullivan should go...I agree with those thinking he’s reaching his expiration date...the defense hasn’t improved and you wonder if the players are listening to him....we need players like Sprong to become nhl players for us...it’s ridiculous asset management to waive or trade him...they’re not going to get anything of value for him and it’s way too soon to say he’s a bust
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Antonio on Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:26 pm

Frankly I'd much rather see sprong on the first line with Crosby instead of rust. Rust has shown he is well suited to 4th line duty and does well there. I would like to see sprong get a real chance with real minutes on a real line for a while. If he is going to be anything, it's going to be a more offensive heavy player. I highly doubt he will ever be a balanced two way forward, and that could be fine depending on how good he is. Thing is, he is never going to develop those skills playing 3 minutes on the 4th line. That is no secret so I'm not sure what the staff is thinking. If you refuse to put him where he needs to be to get a shot and developing, then get rid of him, because 3 minutes a game at the bottom is not going to cut it.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby THEREALpittsburghpenguins on Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:26 pm

I glanced at forwards that have produced less than Sprong and their time on ice for the season. Sprong has 3 points in 55 minutes.

Rust 1 point in 111 minutes
Sheahan 1 point in 99 minutes
Hagelin 2 points in 112 minutes
Cullen 2 points in 85 minutes
Brassard 2 points in 113 minutes

Hagelin is always on the 2nd line and Rust/Brassard have had time on the 1st line. I agree with the other poster that said Sprong should be given the chance to thrive. Put him with Crosby for 20 games and see what you have. If it works, the trickle down effect to the other lines should be substantial and will balance out our depth. If it doesn't, my guess is that we still keep winning the majority of our games so it really doesn't matter. I bet Crosby can teach that kid a lot.
THEREALpittsburghpenguins
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:43 pm

THEREALpittsburghpenguins wrote:I glanced at forwards that have produced less than Sprong and their time on ice for the season. Sprong has 3 points in 55 minutes.

Rust 1 point in 111 minutes
Sheahan 1 point in 99 minutes
Hagelin 2 points in 112 minutes
Cullen 2 points in 85 minutes
Brassard 2 points in 113 minutes

Hagelin is always on the 2nd line and Rust/Brassard have had time on the 1st line. I agree with the other poster that said Sprong should be given the chance to thrive. Put him with Crosby for 20 games and see what you have. If it works, the trickle down effect to the other lines should be substantial and will balance out our depth. If it doesn't, my guess is that we still keep winning the majority of our games so it really doesn't matter. I bet Crosby can teach that kid a lot.

Grant and Ruhwedel were both on the ice short period of time for today's optional skate, Sprong and Riikola were out longer. Word from Pittsburgh media types is that Sprong and Riikola are both likely to be in the press box tonight.

Here has become my biggest issue with Sprong: He looks nothing like the player that put up 65 points in WBS. He's not skating with authority, he's not challenging defenders, he's not getting in good position to be setup for a shot. His confidence is shot, and playing him 4 minutes a night is just going to make things worse. I made mention of this before.....last season in WBS Sprong had 214 shots in 65 games. Last year in the NHL, he had 22 shots in 8 games. So far this year, Sprong has 3 shots in 7 games. Shooting is his biggest asset. I'd be perfectly fine if he was getting into position, getting shots, and just not burying the puck in the net....but he isn't even doing that right now. I haven't been impressed with Sheahan or Cullen as his centers, but, Hornqvist looked very good on a line with those guys and they managed to generate offensive zone time and shots.

I'd sit Sprong down for 3-5 games, make him watch, have someone working with him on what he needs to improve. But right now, he's not doing anything helpful to the team.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Dr Rosenrosen on Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:37 pm

I don't think any amount of time on Sid's line is going to make a difference. You either have it or you don't and this kid just doesn't have it. Guentzel has it and showed it on his first shift. I don't hold Sprong to that standard, but it's clear as day that he'll never work well with Crosby or he would have shown SOMETHING in his limited chances. He's an NHL-level talent with AHL-level instincts and, to work with Sid, you need superior instincts.

That doesn't mean I've written him off as a productive NHLer by any means. However, I never expect to see him on the top line and I won't blame the organization for that. Kessel doesn't play well with Sid either... Speaking of, I also don't see Sprong with Geno for the same reasons Kessel is scary with Geno. That leaves the best case scenario for this year as Sprong clicking with Brass, which could solve two problems. Otherwise, you just hope he gives you a good stretch when injuries hit.

I was as hopeful as anyone about the kid, but I've now seen enough to feel confident in his ceiling. It doesn't help that he doesn't really fit on this team right now.
Dr Rosenrosen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby 100565 on Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:14 pm

I disagree with coach's use of Sprong. Cup winning teams need to have those fresh players who are grossly outpplaying their contracts. Their hard work can motivate a team. 16 cup had Sheary, Rust, and even Kuhnhakle. 17 cup had Guentzel and Wilson. Plus Murray x2.

Sprong may not end up being better than someone like Sheary, but Sheary was given a chance. Sheary is not a defensive juggernaught either. Sullivan cannot expect Sprong to perform with such limited ice time. If he makes a few mistakes, he sits in the 3rd.

Having the depth and abilities the Pens have should not be a hinderance on a players developement; they have the talent to overcome mistakes by a rookie. Sprong could play 13-15 minutes a night for 20 games and the Pens would still make the playoffs. Rust could play LW.

Why Sullivan does not get the importance of rookies for a cup run is beyond me. One of his most important areas of concentration for him has got to be developing Sprong...not burying him...
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:23 pm

100565 wrote:I disagree with coach's use of Sprong. Cup winning teams need to have those fresh players who are grossly outpplaying their contracts. Their hard work can motivate a team. 16 cup had Sheary, Rust, and even Kuhnhakle. 17 cup had Guentzel and Wilson. Plus Murray x2.

Sprong may not end up being better than someone like Sheary, but Sheary was given a chance. Sheary is not a defensive juggernaught either. Sullivan cannot expect Sprong to perform with such limited ice time. If he makes a few mistakes, he sits in the 3rd.

Having the depth and abilities the Pens have should not be a hinderance on a players developement; they have the talent to overcome mistakes by a rookie. Sprong could play 13-15 minutes a night for 20 games and the Pens would still make the playoffs. Rust could play LW.

Why Sullivan does not get the importance of rookies for a cup run is beyond me. One of his most important areas of concentration for him has got to be developing Sprong...not burying him...

I've been one of the biggest supporters of giving Sprong a better opportunity, but, I am finally seeing the light in regards to Sprong's hockey sense and it isn't good. Now, maybe it is overthinking and afraid to make a mistake and trying so much to do what the Penguins want him to improve that he can't play his game. But, he looks nothing like the kid who had a big year in the AHL last season. His burst and willingness to challenge players isn't there right now, and I've watched him more closely trying to get open for a shot.....he just drifts into a space and usually doesn't adjust, and if he thinks he is open he really isn't.

As for fresh legs, I expect that to be ZAR, Blueger, Johnson and maybe DiPauli. The big thing with those guys is, they are all built for bottom 6 work, which is where the fresh legs have been effective for the Penguins.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Puck-Lurker on Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:52 pm

In a game where Simon gets 14 mins, we see Sprong build up some confidence. The Penguins win, scoring 9 goals and the young winger pots one..?

No. Clearly we play Grant (0 points) and give him 10 minutes.

Mystified.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:12 am

Puck-Lurker wrote:Mystified.

Agree. I don't understand why Sprong isn't taking the bull by the horns and doing something, anything, with the time that he does get to make himself look better in the eyes of the coaches. I assume that that is what you are mystified about as cycling in the 13th guy is normal and cycling out the guy that is doing jack poo is also normal.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby E-Ramone on Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:09 am

Last night's blow out in Calgary would've been a great game to get a guy like Sprong some minutes with different lines to see if something works. Hindsight is obviously 20/20, but as I watched that game go on, I kept thinking that it was just unfortunate that he was scratched for Grant. Being cynical, maybe sitting Sprong makes the offense click? I think it was more an indictment of bad goaltending though by Smith, lol
E-Ramone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Puck-Lurker on Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:50 am

Jim wrote:

Agree. I don't understand why Sprong isn't taking the bull by the horns and doing something, anything, with the time that he does get to make himself look better in the eyes of the coaches. I assume that that is what you are mystified about as cycling in the 13th guy is normal and cycling out the guy that is doing jack poo is also normal.

What did Grant do that was worth 10 minutes? I'm eager to learn.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:20 am

Puck-Lurker wrote:
Jim wrote:

What did Grant do that was worth 10 minutes? I'm eager to learn.

Absolutely nothing. Which is probably why the next lowest TOI was over 3 minutes more than him (not including Brassard who left, but still had 2:36 more).

The top 6 was given less time as the game was well in hand. Therefor the time for the bottom 6 goes up, rocket science. 4:43 of his time was in the 3rd.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins