Game 7 vs Oilers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 7 vs Oilers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:21 am

Pens win 6-5 in OT

- Another pond hockey type game from up there in Canada, McD vs Sid :face: , turns out they brought teams too... fun game to watch, loved the OT magic!
- Each game seems to have a pair of Pens Dmen that are underperforming... but don't worry, it just means more ice for Letang & Dumo :lol:
- Dumo & Letang are showing such poise w/puck right now. They are skating with anyone, and when a wall is needed, forget Berlin or the great one in China... these lads are :fist:
- This game had FIVE players scoring a pair of goals, can't say I ever remember that happening before (Elias Sports Bureau to the rescue?)
- Riikola's early hit on Lucic (beauty) brought some much-needed emotion to this game. Throw in the goon fight and we've got old time hockey
- Brassard's game last night highlighted his current style of play that to me, well, its square peg meet round hole. Brass is dynamic, but too risky for my liking. More Cullen please.
- Late in the 3rd, McD said something to Sid just before a draw. Both were grinning afterward... anyone read/see if the question was posed to them what that chat was about?
- Anyone else tired of the old hockey narrative where media drag out "Our best vs Their best"? Last night showed two captains who led their teams in a great match
- Murray gave up another boatload, but made the big stops when needed. Can't blame him on many, but the team has to stick to structured D, not "on a golden pond...."
- JJ deserves time to settle in, but its one step forward, 2 steps back in some games. I'm giving him 25 games.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Game 7 vs Oilers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby BurghThing on Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:04 am

Penspal wrote:Pens win 6-5 in OT

- Another pond hockey type game from up there in Canada, McD vs Sid :face: , turns out they brought teams too... fun game to watch, loved the OT magic!
- Each game seems to have a pair of Pens Dmen that are underperforming... but don't worry, it just means more ice for Letang & Dumo :lol:
- Dumo & Letang are showing such poise w/puck right now. They are skating with anyone, and when a wall is needed, forget Berlin or the great one in China... these lads are :fist:
- This game had FIVE players scoring a pair of goals, can't say I ever remember that happening before (Elias Sports Bureau to the rescue?)
- Riikola's early hit on Lucic (beauty) brought some much-needed emotion to this game. Throw in the goon fight and we've got old time hockey
- Brassard's game last night highlighted his current style of play that to me, well, its square peg meet round hole. Brass is dynamic, but too risky for my liking. More Cullen please.
- Late in the 3rd, McD said something to Sid just before a draw. Both were grinning afterward... anyone read/see if the question was posed to them what that chat was about?
- Anyone else tired of the old hockey narrative where media drag out "Our best vs Their best"? Last night showed two captains who led their teams in a great match
- Murray gave up another boatload, but made the big stops when needed. Can't blame him on many, but the team has to stick to structured D, not "on a golden pond...."
- JJ deserves time to settle in, but its one step forward, 2 steps back in some games. I'm giving him 25 games.

Did you really think Dumo played a good game last night? I thought he looked awful, horrid decisions, poor coverage, but maybe it was just me. At least we wasn't as bad a JJ.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Penspal on Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:17 am

BurghThing wrote:
Penspal wrote:Pens win 6-5 in OT

Did you really think Dumo played a good game last night? I thought he looked awful, horrid decisions, poor coverage, but maybe it was just me. At least we wasn't as bad a JJ.

When you play against an elite player like McDavid, its understood that to "limit" their chances is far more realistic than a complete shutdown. Dumo skated with McDavid multiple times, and that is really saying something. Almost every time McDavid got wound up, the other players on both teams looked like they were in quicksand. Dumo stayed with him just enough on multiple occasions. "Just enough" can be ugly, and look awful. It was not flashy, but it exemplifies the classic winning Pens formula of "Bend but do not break". At other points, Dumo had the puck along the wall, got pressed by forecheckers, faked one way, looked the other way and held onto the puck. Poise AND maintaining puck control while under pressure. The old Dumo would make the smart dplay out of danger. Now he looks to make sure he can get the puck to the skill guys, in the manner where they can do something with it. He's even jumping into plays.... not saying he's going to start scoring, can't ever see that happening, but he has continually improved his game to now play at a level where most people never dreamed he could be at. A first pairing dman, with 2 cups who matches up against the other teams best. Atta boy Dumo
His skating and complimentry play with Letang don't get the attention they deserve.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pruezy11881 on Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:36 am

Am I the only one who was displeased with Kessel last night? I thought he was terrible with decisions and just overall a mess outside of his few chances...
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby THEREALpittsburghpenguins on Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:14 am

Another ugly game. I'll take the win. Nice to see Cros and Horny get some goals. JJ on the ice for all 5. Maatta got spun around twice on one shift that lead to a goal. He just can't skate well enough to play in todays league. Sully needs to let Simon and Sprong play and learn from their mistakes. Its not like we are a defensive juggernaut that never makes mistakes. We have routinely given up 4+ a game in this short season, with the shutout being the outlier here. If sully wanted to start making the whole team be accountable for their mistakes, I'd be ok with this but let the kids play and let them learn. Sprong appears to have lost any confidence he had cause he is basically a spectator. I find it hard to believe that he is playing less than Reaves did last year. Murray continues to trend down, but I can't blame him when we give up that many shots. Brassard isn't a fit for this team. I don't see him provide much out there, especially when it comes to producing offense. The Rust experiment on sids wing isn't going well. Just 1 assist in 6 games, although not all with Cros. Also, Jake doesn't have a single assist yet this year. Maybe now that cros scored a few, everyone else will get going. Lots of complaints from me, but its still early and we are getting points. We just need to tighten up defensively and give a consistent effort.
THEREALpittsburghpenguins
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby SteelCityFan on Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:45 pm

A win is a win, happy we could pull two points out of it. I’m getting increasingly frustrated at seeing Sprong and Simon getting limited minutes while slugs like Jack Johnson are pulling down 20 minutes of ice time a night. It’s like there’s zero accountability for a chosen few but severe punishment for the guys that need a little bit of support and encouragement. Seasons still young, hopefully Sullivan can get this team motivated and playing hard like they did against Toronto.
SteelCityFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:46 pm

I didn't get to watch the whole game unfortunately and tuned in right when Oleksiak made it 5-5 and than saw the redic goal by the Wizard of Cros in OT.

However I listened to the post game as it usually isn't on for us NHL online viewers and Jay Caufield was talking about Daniel Sprong quite a bit and how he's not fitting on the team. Did Sprong do something last night that was very bad? I saw game was 5-5 so I imagine no forwards were playing D.
Pensfan4life8771
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby longtimefan on Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:55 pm

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:I didn't get to watch the whole game unfortunately and tuned in right when Oleksiak made it 5-5 and than saw the redic goal by the Wizard of Cros in OT.

However I listened to the post game as it usually isn't on for us NHL online viewers and Jay Caufield was talking about Daniel Sprong quite a bit and how he's not fitting on the team. Did Sprong do something last night that was very bad? I saw game was 5-5 so I imagine no forwards were playing D.

They were pretty upset with him on the post game show. On one of Chiasson's goals, he took the body, and ended up going down. Which happens, and wasn't a big deal. When he got up, he was completely lost in the defensive zone, allowing his man Chiasson to get off a clean shot form the slot. After that, I'm not sure he hit the ice. It was an egregious defensive error. He's not gained enough trust for them to overlook it. They felt that it might be time to let him sit in the press box for a bit.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Cow_Master66 on Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:09 pm

SteelCityFan wrote:A win is a win, happy we could pull two points out of it. I’m getting increasingly frustrated at seeing Sprong and Simon getting limited minutes while slugs like Jack Johnson are pulling down 20 minutes of ice time a night. It’s like there’s zero accountability for a chosen few but severe punishment for the guys that need a little bit of support and encouragement. Seasons still young, hopefully Sullivan can get this team motivated and playing hard like they did against Toronto.

I always expect more run and gun in the Western Canada swing so last night was no surprise. Anyone, outside of the coaching staff, should have really enjoyed last night and should be more of the same for the next 2 games. One thing that I thought was on full display last night was Edmonton is FAST. Hard to believe they are not winning more with that speed.

JJ is still finding his way on this team, and I don't think the spotty scheduling to start the season has helped any of the new guys. Maybe before Shultz went down, there would have been a chance to let him watch a game from the presser, but I'd take him over the alternative unless things really go sideways.
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby largegarlic on Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:13 pm

I'm not really sure how to feel about this team right now. On the one hand, I feel like we could be heading into 2013-2014 territory where the team does well enough during the regular season, but come the playoffs, everyone is too habituated to being lax in their play, the Cup-winning coach has been become too set in his ways to make the required changes, and the Cup-winning GM hasn't done enough to shake up a complacent, deficient roster.

On the other hand, they're 4-1-2 with wins over the teams in the final last year and road wins over the trendy Cup pick for this year (Toronto) and a very offensively talented team (Edmonton) that most people at least expected to bounce back as a playoff team. Also, the losses to Montreal maybe don't look as bad, since they're 5-1-2 and atop their division. I don't think Montreal has the talent to keep this up, but clearly they're beating plenty of teams right now.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:02 pm

Is Brassard a bust, or is this all that can be expected from 3C? Or am I being impatient? I have to admit I expected more offense, even with his endless array of wingers.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby stonewizard51 on Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:03 pm

Great58 wrote:Is Brassard a bust, or is this all that can be expected from 3C? Or am I being impatient? I have to admit I expected more offense, even with his endless array of wingers.

IMHO he doesn't fit into Sully's offensive plan. I'm torn between the bust or all that can be expected aspect.

For the offensive style Sully wants he's a bust. He has been a Pens killer in the past for other teams so I know he can play.

This is all that can be expected of him is where I'm leaning. He looks lost with Sid so keep him off the top line. Back on the 3rd is where he should be but even then I expect him to score and he doesn't. If this is the best that can be expected of him then shop him around. He might be a better fit in another system.

He was brought in to be the next best thing offensively and has done nothing to live up to it. I'm pretty much done hoping for more than what I see.
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:18 pm

largegarlic wrote:I'm not really sure how to feel about this team right now. On the one hand, I feel like we could be heading into 2013-2014 territory where the team does well enough during the regular season, but come the playoffs, everyone is too habituated to being lax in their play, the Cup-winning coach has been become too set in his ways to make the required changes, and the Cup-winning GM hasn't done enough to shake up a complacent, deficient roster.

On the other hand, they're 4-1-2 with wins over the teams in the final last year and road wins over the trendy Cup pick for this year (Toronto) and a very offensively talented team (Edmonton) that most people at least expected to bounce back as a playoff team. Also, the losses to Montreal maybe don't look as bad, since they're 5-1-2 and atop their division. I don't think Montreal has the talent to keep this up, but clearly they're beating plenty of teams right now.

I'll tell you how I feel about the team.

They're winning. They aren't playing good playoff-style hockey because it's early in the season and no team can keep up that style of hockey for an entire season and through the playoffs. They're cruising right now and will continue to cruise through March unless they get out of playoff contention when they'll have to kick it up earlier. They've had slow starts each of the last three seasons, and they worked out pretty well, didn't they?
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Southern Fan on Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:39 pm

Letang looks good. Decision making has picked up.

Except for his shot, Phil is a mess.

After Toronto game, I thought I saw why Jack got the long contract. After this game, I wondered why he got a long contract. I guess this is what we’ll get with him.

Gasped when Sully sent Jack out with Sid and Brassard the last shift of the game. Fortunately, we got to see a highlight real goal, instead of a turnover, and 2 on none break by McDavid and whoever.

Hate to see Sprong score 35 goals in 2022 with another team.

Could have used some shot blocking in front of Murray on some of those goals. Getting outshot 2 to 1 isn’t a good formula for success.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins